Judge David Wilcox QC

Desmo Paul

Jul 19, 2010, 9:20:08 AM7/19/10
It's been an interesting morning. I have been trying to find some
background on Judge David Wilcox and find it difficult. I have been
run from the BAR Council of England to the BAR Council of Northern
Ireland and then Scotland and then the Law Society. Then back to the
BAR Council of England and then to the judicial appointments people.

It would appear that web pages according him a Queen's Council status
are not accurate and he is plain old Judge David Wilcox. I can find
no cases involving a barrister by that name on Baili and frankly he
appears to have no history other than his own cases.

Would anyone know whether he was ever a barrister or a solicitor, or
indeed how he became a Judge? Usually I can find the record as to how
someone reaches the giddy heights of the profession but not this
chap. Someone suggested that he was an engineer. The Office for
Judicial Appointments say he was made a Judge in 1985?

Thanking you for improving my perception hopefully.

Robin

Jul 19, 2010, 6:15:08 PM7/19/10
Desmo Paul wrote:
> Would anyone know whether he was ever a barrister or a solicitor, or
> indeed how he became a Judge? Usually I can find the record as to how
> someone reaches the giddy heights of the profession but not this
> chap. Someone suggested that he was an engineer. The Office for
> Judicial Appointments say he was made a Judge in 1985?

Who's Who is not authoritative but it will give you more than enough
details for you to check if you wish with, for example, Gray's Inn.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Peter Crosland

Jul 20, 2010, 5:10:21 AM7/20/10
"Desmo Paul" <desm...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Why don't you look him up in Who's Who? It gives quite a lot of detail and
you should be able to find out more by following the leads in there. In the
2001 edition he is not listed as a QC, but in any case this is not a
requirement to be a judge though many judges were QC's before they were
appointed.. He was called to the bar, Grays Inn 1962.

Peter Crosland

Owen Dunn

Jul 20, 2010, 5:05:07 AM7/20/10
Desmo Paul <desm...@googlemail.com> writes:

> Would anyone know whether he was ever a barrister or a solicitor, or
> indeed how he became a Judge? Usually I can find the record as to how
> someone reaches the giddy heights of the profession but not this
> chap. Someone suggested that he was an engineer. The Office for
> Judicial Appointments say he was made a Judge in 1985?

The Gazette says that David John Reed Wilcox Esq. was appointed a
Recorder in May 1979, and a Circuit Judge in 1985 in accordance with
the Courts Act 1971.

http://www.debretts.com/people/biographies/browse/w/17964/David%20John%20Reed%20WILCOX.aspx

...has more on his career.

(S)

Desmo Paul

Jul 20, 2010, 6:20:10 AM7/20/10
On 20 July, 10:05, Owen Dunn <ow...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Desmo Paul <desmop...@googlemail.com> writes:
> > Would anyone know whether he was ever a barrister or a solicitor, or
> > indeed how he became a Judge?  Usually I can find the record as to how
> > someone reaches the giddy heights of the profession but not this
> > chap.  Someone suggested that he was an engineer. The Office for
> > Judicial Appointments say he was made a Judge in 1985?
>
> The Gazette says that David John Reed Wilcox Esq. was appointed a
> Recorder in May 1979, and a Circuit Judge in 1985 in accordance with
> the Courts Act 1971.
>
> http://www.debretts.com/people/biographies/browse/w/17964/David%20Joh...

> ...has more on his career.
>
> (S)

Many thanks.

JMS

Jul 20, 2010, 5:50:08 PM7/20/10

You can access Who's Who on-line by quoting your "local" library
ticket number.

http://www.ukwhoswho.com/

Ivan Sanders

Sep 17, 2021, 7:07:52 AM9/17/21
David was, when I knew him, Head of Chambers at 17 College Street, Nottingham in the 1970s. Indeed the most brilliant lawyer I ever came across during the several decades when I practised as a solicitor.
Best wishes, Ivan Sanders E: sandersl...@yahoo.com