Re: The EU opens formal proceedings against TikTok, why can't the UK?

nick

Feb 19, 2024, 12:20:24 PMFeb 19
Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_24_926

> "The European Commission has opened formal proceedings to assess whether
> TikTok may have breached the Digital Services Act (DSA) in areas linked
> to the protection of minors, advertising transparency, data access for
> researchers, as well as the risk management of addictive design and
> harmful content.

> On the basis of the preliminary investigation conducted so far,
> including on the basis of an analysis of the risk assessment report sent
> by TikTok in September 2023, as well as TikTok's replies to the
> Commission's formal Requests for Information (on illegal content,
> protection of minors, and data access), the Commission has decided to
> open formal proceedings against TikTok under the Digital Services Act."

> "The compliance with the DSA obligations related to the assessment and
> mitigation of systemic risks, in terms of actual or foreseeable negative
> effects stemming from the design of TikTok's system, including
> algorithmic systems, that may stimulate behavioural addictions and/ or
> create so-called ‘rabbit hole effects'. Such assessment is required to
> counter potential risks for the exercise of the fundamental right to the
> person's physical and mental well-being, the respect of the rights of
> the child as well as its impact on radicalisation processes.
> Furthermore, the mitigation measures in place in this respect, notably
> age verification tools used by TikTok to prevent access by minors to
> inappropriate content, may not be reasonable, proportionate and effective;"

> As usual it seem the UK seems to tolerate if not even foster these
> behaviour from rogue and dodgy platforms.

But... but.... but.....

We have the Online Safety Act and we were promised that because it is
British, it would be far more effective than any of that foreign legislation.
https://www.wired.com/story/the-uks-controversial-online-safety-act-is-now-law/

What could possibly be wrong?

Nick

Roger Hayter

Feb 19, 2024, 3:54:31 PMFeb 19
This does seem to be part of an American move to disable TikTok, which they
don't like because it is Chinese. Is it really any worse than Snapchat,
Twitter (which has few controls and those changed from day to day by Elon
Musk) Instagram and Facebook?

--
Roger Hayter

John Levine

Feb 19, 2024, 9:55:30 PMFeb 19
According to Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com>:
>Chinese lobby? Because in the USA, if you dare criticize Tiktok, you are
>automatically labelled as anti-Asian racist white pig.

Hi, American here, and let me just say that statement is wildly
inconsistent with reality.

In 34 of the 50 US states, government employees are forbidden to use
Tiktok on government devices. One state, Montana, has banned it
outright although for reasons related to our First Amendment and rules
against state (rather than federal) regulation of commerce, that law
is likely to be struck down by courts.

Way more details than anyone cares about here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictions_on_TikTok_in_the_United_States

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Roger Hayter

Feb 20, 2024, 6:23:44 AMFeb 20
On 20 Feb 2024 at 09:32:17 GMT, "Ottavio Caruso"
<ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You are asking if AIDS is worse than Ebola. Whataboutism?

Not really. I am saying the attack on TikTok is part of US promoted economic
warfare, and not a great deal to do with what TikTok actually does.

--
Roger Hayter