We *have* morphed into North Korea - congratulaions for letting it happen

Tony The Welsh Twat

Feb 9, 2024, 1:52:05 PMFeb 9
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68245640

"The Home Office has apologised to a human-rights activist held at Gatwick Airport by the Border Force.

Sayed Ahmed Alwadei, who campaigns for human rights in Bahrain, was detained for two and a half hours in September 2023, after returning from Geneva.

Mr Alwadei, a refugee who has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, was told by Home Office lawyers he had been "unlawfully detained".

The Home Office said it could not comment on individual cases.

An apology sent to Mr Alwadei's lawyers said: "The home secretary has reviewed his records and accepts that your client was unlawfully detained.

"Your client's immigration records have been checked and the records updated to make sure this does not happen in the future.

"The secretary of state is unable to discern what powers were purported to be exercised."

WTAF?

Why is he unable to discern the powers that were abused? There must be paperwork?

Stitch up.

Well done Brits.

Mark Goodge

Feb 9, 2024, 4:15:47 PMFeb 9
On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:07:49 -0800 (PST), Tony The Welsh Twat
<tonythew...@gmail.com> wrote:

>https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68245640
>
>"The Home Office has apologised to a human-rights activist held at Gatwick Airport by the Border Force.

So, there was a cock-up, it has been accepted that it was a cock-up, and the
government has apologised for the cock-up.

That's about as unlike North Korea as it's possible to get.

Mark

Roger Hayter

Feb 9, 2024, 6:17:35 PMFeb 9
On 9 Feb 2024 at 17:07:49 GMT, "Tony The Welsh Twat"
Immigration officers have very wide discretion. It can include not believing
documents presented or ID evidence. I presume in this case the discretion used
was deemed unreasonable, or perhaps the Home Office agreed the detention was
unlawful for political reasons, even though it actually wasn't.

--
Roger Hayter

Fredxx

Feb 9, 2024, 6:17:38 PMFeb 9
I admire the Home Office for admitting to a mistake.

Shit happens, we are human.

GB

Feb 10, 2024, 8:21:06 AMFeb 10
On 09/02/2024 20:48, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:07:49 -0800 (PST), Tony The Welsh Twat
> <tonythew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68245640
>>
>> "The Home Office has apologised to a human-rights activist held at Gatwick Airport by the Border Force.
>
> So, there was a cock-up, it has been accepted that it was a cock-up, and the
> government has apologised for the cock-up.

The chap was held for 150 minutes. It must have been annoying, but I'm
surprised it got on the national news.

JNugent

Feb 10, 2024, 12:52:36 PMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 12:13 pm, GB wrote:

> On 09/02/2024 20:48, Mark Goodge wrote:
>> Tony The Welsh Twat <tonythew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68245640
>
>>> "The Home Office has apologised to a human-rights activist held at
>>> Gatwick Airport by the Border Force.
>
>> So, there was a cock-up, it has been accepted that it was a cock-up,
>> and the government has apologised for the cock-up.
>
> The chap was held for 150 minutes. It must have been annoying, but I'm
> surprised it got on the national news.

There must have been something in the circumstances which prompted the
detention.

There have been well-publicised cases of people granted asylum status by
the UK who have gone on to commit horrific terrorist murders here.

Jon Ribbens

Feb 10, 2024, 7:30:09 PMFeb 10
On 2024-02-10, GB <NOTso...@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
> On 09/02/2024 20:48, Mark Goodge wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:07:49 -0800 (PST), Tony The Welsh Twat
>> <tonythew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68245640
>>>
>>> "The Home Office has apologised to a human-rights activist held at
>>> Gatwick Airport by the Border Force.
>>
>> So, there was a cock-up, it has been accepted that it was a cock-up,
>> and the government has apologised for the cock-up.
>
> The chap was held for 150 minutes. It must have been annoying, but I'm
> surprised it got on the national news.

According to the article it's far from the first time they've done this
sort of thing to him. Plus it would've been a lot more than "annoying"
- he's not a UK citizen, he's got "indefinite leave to remain" so he may
well have been pretty terrified the entire time that they were going to
arbitrarily and instantly revoke his permission to enter the country
where he lives.