Complaint about complaints procedure

Lewis Robinson

May 5, 2012, 7:11:20 PM5/5/12
Dear Ms Mian,

I have frequently and continuously been denied a pen on this ward
although given paper when I wish to complain. For virtually the first
time this evening I was allowed to have a pen but told that I would need
to return it in five minutes time where this was not sufficient to voice
my many complaints. By law patients should be provided with pen and
paper on psychiatric wards. To date I have asked for the originals of my
complaints (with signature) to go in Mick's (the Nurse Ward Manager) in
tray, a copy to be taken and inserted into my notes and RiO, and kept a
copy for myself. I have received no written answers to any of my
complaints. This procedure is no longer manageable.

From now I will submit my complaints to you (an electronic signature is
legally binding in this country) and I will ask you to print of a copy
for the Nurse Ward Manager's in tray and a second copy to be inserted
into my notes and into RiO.

I would further like to add that I am extremely unhappy with the way
that the ward is run and that I have been informed that complaining
frequently is tantamount to harassment. This threat like the other I
will mention is harassment of me by the staff. Yesterday when I knocked
on the ward door frequently to submit complaints I was informed that if
I knocked on the ward door again I would be nursed in my room. This
threat is worse than seclusion (which can only last 24 hours) as one can
not smoke and be refused the right to attend ward rounds as one is to
ill. Such threats are a reason that I am no longer using the normal
complaints procedure and asking you to forward complaints to the Nurse
Ward Manager and my RiO notes.

I have four pens in my room which I will return to staff after I have
composed a second mail before nine o'clock this evening. Pens can be
used to kill, maim and injure people and thus have to be tightly
controlled on the ward. I will ask if the pens can be kept in the
nursing station and used to be given to other patients when they require
them to write complaints, as my cousin Dirk did on Opal ward with a
collection of seven or eight pens.

Yours sincerely,
Lewis Robinson.