Restraint and removal of leave

Lewis Robinson

May 5, 2012, 7:10:17 PM5/5/12
Dear family, friends and healthcare professionals,

I believe I am finally beginning to understand my predicament.

I am allergic to the solvents which coat oral dispersable tablets (as
most may be), I am treated this admission for psychiatric illness when I
am suffering pain, and the nursing staff are incapable of using pen and
paper.

On Friday my medication was increased to include 12mg Risperidone
(which I was promised in the 1mg tablets in the ward round but never
given), 400mg Lithium Carbonate, 1600mg Sodium Valporate because there
was felt to be an "emergency" in that I was not recovering quickly as I
normally do. This "emergency" is fictitious as I have only been here for
just over one month and due to mistaken identity and false imprisonment
my cousin Dirk Robinson was here previously. I asked for my
antipsychotic of choice, Sulpiride at close to the maximum dose, and was
denied it by Prof. Gurling and the medical team. I am now oversedated
and slept through my afternoon medication at 12:45 and only recieved it
around 15:00. Up until Friday I have been prescribed only PRN medication
for analgesia and never received it when I require it most: in the
morning. On Friday I was written up for regular Aspirin (300mg four
times daily) and PRN Paracetamol at 1g twice daily. For the first time
today I was dispensed almost adequate pain releif for toothache, heat
rash, backache and headache, the last of which is caused by continual
respiratory infection due to sleeping in a room that is unfit for human
habitation due to the fact that it is so cold. I rise at six or earlier.
For the first time today I was dispensed Paracetamol at 05:20 and the
morning went well. I was left alone by staff and patients for half to
three quaters of an hour following my 09:30 medications and this was
survivable as this is the time period over which the allergic reaction
to the said solvents exhibits itself. I slept after lunch as noticed. On
being given an "aquaplaned" (for that is what we call the said solvents)
tablet of 4mg risperidone around 15:00 I became agitated and restless on
talking to staff during the next half hour for I was not left alone.
(For a similar allergy which I am not so sure of, I am dispensed on
request four 200mg tablets of Sodium Valporate when I receive it b.d. as
otherwise it knocks me out). I am prescribed two other medications which
are under research for the treatment of Bipolar Effective Disorder which
I will not discuss. On completing my medication chart on Friday
following the ward round, which ward round was terminated early without
discussing any of my somatic complaints, several mistakes were noted by
me in my medication chart which needed correction including the absence
of some of those medications under research. Improtantly I asked Dr Mona
Ahmed when these correction were being made in the office after the ward
round to actually write up something about the "aquaplaned" Haliperidol
PRN that we are all administered that was agreed some weeks earlier in
ward round: that I was to recieve 1.5mg initially and then if that did
not work, then half an hour later to recieve 8.5mg. This 1.5mg is the
maximum dose suggested in the BNF for agitation and restlessness. The
some 30mg daily PRN that I have been prescribed (maximum per day
dispensed 15mg) is recommended for resistant schitzophrenia I believe
and psychosis. Not for agitation.

To get to the point, on Saturday morning at morning meds I asked to
know what medications I was being given. My tone and voice were perhaps
raised due to not receiving analgesia early morning and the pain
adversedly affecting my mental state. Gemma (a nurse) became
confrontional and aggressive and patients behind me began hassling me
for taking so long. I was eventually presented with my medication,
including 10mg Haliperidol (against the drug chart as previously noted
and "aquaplaned") 4mg Risperidone ("aquaplaned") and 2mg Lorazepam as
well as others. I objected that one of the research drugs was missing
and asked for it and it was given me. Gemma then marched me to my room,
making physical contact, and asked me to stay there for an hour.

My allergies made my come out my room and swear foul mouthed insults
at the nurses. As another patient on the ward has previously been timed
out in his room for an hour and been back in communal areas inside three
minutes I decided to give it five. Sitting quietly in the communal area
I was approached by three staff and asked to return to my room. I took
the Buddha position, hands clenched and was picked up and put on the
floor. Bernard, a nurse, then broke my Buddah clench and I was
restrained and forced to my room in pain. In my room Tan, a nurse, and
Bernard "restrained" me: that is caused intense physical pain through
wrist locks whilst insisting I listened to being repremanded. Once
Bernard and Tan, the senior nurse, had repremanded me and let go of the
wrist locks, Bernard began doing so again (I suspect because he enjoys
doing so): this time causing damage to my wrist sufficient to make it
swell and meaning that I had to loosen the strap on my watch on my right
wrist. The wrist may still be damaged as the watch still needs to be
looser. I then remained in my room for half an hour as instructed,
nursing my wounds and loosening my watch for the first ten minutes and
wondering for the next ten the difference between pacifism and war as a
tactic.

This is a complaint and necessary information for the managerial
review of my leave on Monday, tomorrow, which leave has been cancelled
because I was "restrained" a.k.a. physically assaulted to cause maximum
pain without breaking bones from staff trained in both defence and attack.

As a final note: were the medical staff in possession of my original
paper notes from Springfield Hospital, accepted that I had been in
hospital a.k.a. prison since 6th January and am a different person from
Dirk Robinson, and did not rely on the bastardised, baulderised computer
version of notes that was taken later at Springfield Hospital, then they
might know how to treat me.

Best wishes,
Lewis Robinson.