e-petition - Create a charities ombudsman

NoNeh

Aug 17, 2011, 3:30:10 PM8/17/11

Please sign and circulate - if we get 100,000 signatures the issue
should be debated in parliament.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/645

Create a Charities Ombudsman

Responsible department: Cabinet Office

This petition calls on the government to create a Charities Ombudsman
with the power to deal with complaints about charities and the authority
to order a charity to provide adequate redress if a complaint is
upheld.. The Charity Commission is unable to get involved in a wide
range of complaints because they are not within its remit. If a
complainant is dissatisfied with the outcome of a Charity's own internal
complaints procedure their only remaining option is the legal system.
With legal aid being cut drastically this is beyond the reach of the
majority of people. Many charities are now running services or even
acting as law enforcement agencies, so it is important that they are
seen to be properly regulated and to have an effective and objective
independent external complaints procedure. We want Parliament to debate
this issue.