The Lady in the Van

Pete Baggett

Jan 20, 2016, 3:11:32 AM1/20/16
Well, I went to the Showcase Cinema at Winnersh to see "The Lady in the
Van". The evening didn't get off to a brilliant start, I fell foul of the
infamous roundabout at Winnersh and when the SatNav said to take the third
exit, I'd forgotten that the right hand lane goes through the middle of the
roundabout and before I realised it was too late to get in the correct
lane. Fortunately, I was still in plenty of time. I got parked up and
presented my ticket, which I'd bought with the iPhone app and was a digital
one. The attendant scanned it and I went upstairs and into Screen 10. This
is the first time I'd been to the cinema since qualifying for the senior
rate, but it wasn't questioned (and yes, I was a tad miffed).
As soon as I entered the room, I realised why there had been no option to
upgrade to the higher quality seat. unlike the Vue cinema, Showcase have
updated each and every seat and the standard is very much better. A four
button control moves the seat to the best possible position and it was very
comfortable indeed. There then followed a half hour of adverts and trailers
before the feature actually started.
As for the film itself, I'd been expecting a high standard and it certainly
didn't disappoint. I was impressed by the performance of both leading
actors, but Dame Maggie Smith's was absolutely superb. I also liked the
device used to illustrate Alan Bennet talking to himself. Whilst this is a
tale based on true events, it has been fictionalised and that is made quite
clear throughout and done in quite an amusing and innovative way. It's a
brilliant film and I'm really glad I made the effort to go and see it.

--
Pete Baggett www.wulfrunian.net From NewsTap on my iPad

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Jan 20, 2016, 5:27:06 PM1/20/16
On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 08:11:32 UTC, Pete Baggett wrote:
> There then followed a half hour of adverts and trailers
> before the feature actually started.

Crikey. Do they still do a static slide with an announcement read by the projectionist for Your Local Indian Restaurant?

Owain

Pete Baggett

Feb 1, 2016, 2:36:13 AM2/1/16
Alas, no.