ECTS - Lotta BBW's

Graham Goring

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

Well, that was fun, admittedly the food costed at LEAST twice as much
as anywhere else, admittedly the tube smelled like a pair of damp
swimming trunks that had been put in a plastic bag and left in a warm
place for a week but at least Eidos had as much Silicone power on
display as Silicon power.

But, the Playstation games?

Well, pretty impressive, but a few disappointments.

Final Fantasy VII - SLOW! The frame-rate in the battles is abominable!
About 12 frames a second or something, it's a complete joke! And when
you're outside, it may just be me but your character moves like a
tortoise on vallium. Bleargh. Superb FMV though. And it'll probably be
excellent really.

Resident Evil 2 - Georgous! There may be less polys per character, but
they look better by far. Less glitching at the limb joints and far
better graphical variety, and you meet characters that simply serve as
zombie fodder. The animation on the characters is also better, the
zombie recoiling in many different ways and walking differently
depending how close you are. All in all, a game to die for. The
Backgrounds are even better this time round as well, and it seems
to load in more at once. Still have those damn door animations
though...

Clock Tower 2 - I mention this as it's a bit like Resident Evil, only
completely in polygons and with a point and click interface. It could
be really good, as you only have 1 enemy in the game, the scissorman
although there are a few in league with him, and you can choose between
five characters (each with 2 endings, and a different story) so replay
value is good. It has plenty of shock value (such as a delicious moment
with a guard sitting at a desk) and the relentless pounding of the
scissormans giant shears as he chases you (and you look for somewhere
to hide). It's currently going through the BBFC for a probably 18 cert
and a release price of 39.99 probably. From Ascii. Keep an eye open...

Medieval - Well, after seeing this in the flesh, as opposed to dodgy FMV
I can say it looks utterly superb, and looks to play like a dream too.
Imaginative enemies, superb spot effects, variety in level design,
puzzles, everything a platform player could want. Very Tim Burton in
look (far better than Crash 2 in my IMHO) and slick as an oiled
codpiece. I personally CAN NOT WAIT.

Wild Arms - Nowhere to be seen. Damn, I asked and it's been delayed till
next year. WHY?

Nightmare Creatures - Great looking, gory and playable beat 'em up. The
actual battle seemed maybe a little haphazard and the scenery was
disappointingly uninteractive (like not being able to open a knee-high
gate or jump over a similar height fence) but the enemies where well
designed (the zombies are vile). And it's nice to be able to chop-off
the zombies legs one at a time, although the lack of a leg doesn't
seem to impare their sprightlyness. All in all, atmospheric and one
to look forward to.

N2O - Boring shooter in a tube, it seemed to have a very low top-speed
and now discernable accelerator button, only a slow down one. Odd.
Graphically it was superb, but the winding tunnel didn't seem to wind
that much.

Buggy - Hmmm... Uncontrollable and a bit poo. Garish graphics also.
However, 2 player split screen and if they can sort out the controls
it could be very good. But not at the moment.

Duke Nukem - Oh... Dear... Graphically it's nice, with the cheating
engine of the original, as opposed to true 3d. But, there are a lot
of textures missing, and enemy animation frames also gone. Plus, the
frame rate was a bit dogdy, and you always seemed to spin past the
enemies when aiming. Not exactly inspirational. But if they can iron
out those few problems it could be good. At least the explosions are
good. :)

Batman And Robin - Didn't get a chance to play but looked stunning,
fluid motion captured movement and great lighting. I shall watch with
interest.

Time Crisis - Fluid and good looking, again, didn't play but you assume
that it's a right blast.

G Police - Looking a bit blocky, but the design of the cityscapes is
stunning, and it's all quite busy with stuff flying about, minding it's
own business. The lighting, of course, is great. And the intro? About
5 bloody minutes long (and we skipped out at that point) if we'd been
able to hear it, we may have lasted longer.

Colony Wars - Wow! A game that looks almost as good as it's rendered
intro. Very impressive and smooth. Watching the enemies slide past you
with the brilliant lighting, well, it fair took my breath away.

Crash Bandicoot 2 - Hmmm, more like Crash Bandicoot, the later levels,
a few token enhancements, but not that much better than the original.
Which I found annoying.

Broken Sword 2 - Lovely graphics, but I didn't really get a chance to
see if the damn cursor moved faster this time around...

Z - Looking pretty good, but you can tell the PSX is NOT liking shifting
all those sprites around. Didn't reallt play it enough to see if I
really liked it...

Rosco McQueen - Didn't a chance to play it, but it looked a little too
hectic for my liking.

Overboard - Still plays too slowly for my liking. Looks great though.

Parappa the Rapper - I was all ready to hate this game for being a
simple Simon game. But... I loved it! Catchy music, amazing graphics
(despite being flat) and just so great. A real revelation.

Rapid Racer - Stunning graphics, amazing trackside details, and
really quite playable. It'll take a while to get used to the watery
control though...

And the free Video and Demo Disk?

Video, like blown away it starts in a crappy-arty way, but soon contents
itself to showing quite a bit of the actual games, for a change. Only 10
minutes long though, boo!

Demo Disk? Great, despite only three of the 9 (9! Count 'em) demos being
playable:
FFVII - re-sampled FMV (so quite yucky but smooth) and some game
sequences. Worth it a few times round, just for the new sequences not
seen on various videos.
Medieval - Although a rolling demo, it's not FMV but the attract mode
from the game. And... it's beautiful. Joint best demo with Parappa.
Lasts for about 25 minutes before resetting. This game will be big...
Bushido Blade - Bloody awful quality FMV, but the game looks good, with
nicely interactive scenery (like the bamboo stalks). Pretty good.
Nightmare Creatures - The full first level (I assume) and very playable
too, with plenty of hidden objects (mines, gun spray, and a razor wheel
that makes your blade extra sharp, so chopping zombies in two is easy)
well worth it.
Crash 2 - A version of the old hog-riding level, but with a polar bear
cub. Whenever you die the polar bear cub survives and has cute little
animations. Still too damn based on luck than judgement.
Broken Sword 2 - JERKY FMV, but it shows a few cool bits of the game.
Rosco McQueen - Good graphics, but ever so hectic looking gameplay, and
not in the good sense. Pretty bad FMV quality.
Rapid Racer - Good, only slight pop-up. See above for details.
Parappa The Rapper - Great, you get the first bit with the Onion Headed
bloke, and it plays like a pop video. Truly bizarre, truly brilliant.

Well, there you are. Hope it wasn't too long.

Any questions about games I didn't mention, and I'll try to answer them.

By the way, Worms 2 looks great, but is NEVER coming to the Playstation.

Graham Goring

/====================================================\ +--------------+
| My proverb for this week: | |This Space For|
| "The less bits, the less can go wrong... | | Hire - Ideal |
| Unless you wobble something important at the back" | |For Weddings &|
\==Graham Goring - gra...@duketastrophy.demon.co.uk==/ | Bahmitzvas |
My Website, coming to a server near you - SOON +--------------+

Stratford

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

In article <r+KFBcAY...@duketastrophy.demon.co.uk>, Graham Goring
<gra...@duketastrophy.demon.co.uk> writes

>Well, that was fun, admittedly the food costed at LEAST twice as much
>as anywhere else, admittedly the tube smelled like a pair of damp
>swimming trunks that had been put in a plastic bag and left in a warm
>place for a week but at least Eidos had as much Silicone power on
>display as Silicon power.
>
>But, the Playstation games?

<snip> full presentation, twas nice though.:-)

Just thought I'd mention Theme Hospital from Bullfrog which was up and
running on the PSX, and after talking to the guy from Bullfrog he
explained that there had been some problems with it but they were hoping
to release it before the end of the year, looked pretty good to, however
I would say it had awful control on the pad far to fiddly, but it is
Mouse compatible supposdly.

That should please all the T.H. fans who complained when they shelved
it. :-)

I also thought G-Police looked very nice, especially on the internal
view, externally with the helicopter looked pretty choppy (ha,ha)
though, it might actually turn out to be a good gamem, considering the
wait it bloody should turn out to be a good game :-).

Bye......

"I am Cornholio, Are you threatning me!!!"

Stratford "Warlord" Hamilton

Ian Vincent

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Stratford (Stra...@hamiltons.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <r+KFBcAY...@duketastrophy.demon.co.uk>, Graham Goring
: <gra...@duketastrophy.demon.co.uk> writes
: >Well, that was fun, admittedly the food costed at LEAST twice as much

: >as anywhere else, admittedly the tube smelled like a pair of damp
: >swimming trunks that had been put in a plastic bag and left in a warm
: >place for a week but at least Eidos had as much Silicone power on
: >display as Silicon power.
: >
: >But, the Playstation games?
: >
: <snip> full presentation, twas nice though.:-)

:
: Just thought I'd mention Theme Hospital from Bullfrog which was up and
: running on the PSX, and after talking to the guy from Bullfrog he
: explained that there had been some problems with it but they were hoping
: to release it before the end of the year, looked pretty good to, however
: I would say it had awful control on the pad far to fiddly, but it is
: Mouse compatible supposdly.

Hurrah!!!

I I I
I Ian "Vinny" Vincent <i...@binny.demon.co.uk> I Say NO to the ID card!!! I
I Accessing the Internet on an AMIGA I I
I http://www.binny.demon.co.uk/homepage.html I I
I I I

Lee Fletcher

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

> By the way, Worms 2 looks great, but is NEVER coming to the Playstation.

I've just got a demo of Worms 2 for the PC. It's true, it is amazing
(although it seems a lot harder to hit the opposite team because there's so
much more scenery to get in the way). The worms are now bigger (about two
cm tall) and animated VERY well (when they die their eyes pop out cartoon
style, they jump up in the air, stick their toungue out and turn blue
before hitting the ground again in a "sleeping dracula" pose!!) There
doesn't seem to be anything the PS can't do, though. I mean, I'm not an
expert by any means, but I've seen better looking games on the PS. Why is
it never being released?

Lee

Paul Irvine

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

The other Day "Vailen" <tyro...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

>the best thing about the show was the babes!

Bet you had your piccy taken..yes you know what I mean!!

>joking aside, i think g-police, medievil, gex, marvel super heroes and ff7
>were the only games on ps that lightened my day.. fighting force was not bad
>either, although it was lacking something....

MSH was better than expected but did seem very short on frames of
animation. All the others were very good bar the speed of FF7. One
star was Colony wars...love it.and Nightmare creatures.

>seeing the programmers of the games was nice.. but they talk pants sometimes
>"ps version of worms 2 is not possible" yeh right...

Trust me, programmers are not always that keen on the shows. Most
people you will have seen there are producers etc hence you get the
silly answers. The producers often know very little about game coding
(I think I have just shot me-self in ther foot here)
For those old C64 peeps it was nice to see Jon Ritman there to take
the rise out of his new footy game :)

>psygnosis should have mixed g-police with colony wars, added a bit of a
>trading and they would have a brilliant game... alas...

Nah...blast blast blast!!!

>wouldn't it be great if someone made an internal adaptor to fix a pc cd-rom
>onto a ps, imagine putting a 20 speed cd-rom on a playstation!

erm..yes..Id rather have more Ram any day...
--
Paul....

---------------------------------------
| Odd Sayings #944:- As deaf as a post.|
---------------------------------------

Vailen

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

the best thing about the show was the babes!

joking aside, i think g-police, medievil, gex, marvel super heroes and ff7

were the only games on ps that lightened my day.. fighting force was not bad
either, although it was lacking something....

seeing the programmers of the games was nice.. but they talk pants sometimes

"ps version of worms 2 is not possible" yeh right...

psygnosis should have mixed g-police with colony wars, added a bit of a

trading and they would have a brilliant game... alas...

did u know in the 50th issue of edge, the engineer of ps, ken kutaragi,
stated that tekken 2 was only using 40% of ps capabilities.. strange, i
thought the ps pushed to do tekken 2.. hmm...

wouldn't it be great if someone made an internal adaptor to fix a pc cd-rom
onto a ps, imagine putting a 20 speed cd-rom on a playstation!

Vailen

Graham Goring

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

In article <341d3f50...@news.demon.co.uk>, Paul Irvine
<mcl...@dellos.demon.co.uk> writes

> Why is it never being released?
>>
>Not a worms fan myself TBH but I guess the reason it wont see the
>light of day PS wise is down to sales. I dont think It did did that
>well on the PSX, certainly when we were open it sold poorly.
>It seems to be one of those games that a only a group would play,
>hence only 1 of the group buying it. I know it almost never made it to
>the states so its not such a shock to hear its PC only...

Um, well the reason I was told was that the map alone took up 2mb
of memory, leaving bugger all on the PS for anything else. Arse.

Paul Irvine

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

The other Day Angus Manwaring <Angus@angusm_antispam_.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Sep 97, Vailen wrote:
>>
>> psygnosis should have mixed g-police with colony wars, added a bit of a
>> trading and they would have a brilliant game... alas...
>>

>Does anyone know how psynosis can be reached, on just this subject as it
>happens....

www.psygnosis.com

Paul Irvine

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

The other Day Stratford <Stra...@hamiltons.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <5vcscq$n1q$1...@morse.news.easynet.net>, Vailen
><tyro...@ukonline.co.uk> writes

>>the best thing about the show was the babes!
>>

>Yep, apart from the Virgin stand!,

Now Stratford, you're being a bit naughty here, tell the kind folks
what we all saw at the Virgin stand. Now this should be fun!!!

Stratford

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

In article <5vcscq$n1q$1...@morse.news.easynet.net>, Vailen
<tyro...@ukonline.co.uk> writes
>the best thing about the show was the babes!

Yep, apart from the Virgin stand!, the Eidos stand was kinda good with
the two "babes" on the motorbike.:-)

>joking aside, i think g-police, medievil, gex, marvel super heroes and ff7
>were the only games on ps that lightened my day.. fighting force was not bad
>either, although it was lacking something....

G-police looked good and should be a good seller, MArvel Super Heroes as
someone pointed out lacked a few frames of animation but otherwise was
fast and seemed very playable.

Bye.....

Angus Manwaring

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

On Sat, 13 Sep 97, Vailen wrote:

> psygnosis should have mixed g-police with colony wars, added a bit of a
> trading and they would have a brilliant game... alas...

Does anyone know how psynosis can be reached, on just this subject as it
happens....

Also Sierra On-line are supposed to be doing a Babylon 5 game. I've looked
on their web sites for info, but find absolutely nothing. Any ideas?

--
All the best,
Angus Manwaring.

Sorry, but I'm fed up with the SPAM. If you wish to e-mail from a
newsgroup please remove _ANTISPAM_ from my e-mail address.

Paul Irvine

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

The other Day stra...@hamiltons.demon.co.uk (Stratford "Warlord"
Hamilton) wrote:

>>Now Stratford, you're being a bit naughty here, tell the kind folks
>>what we all saw at the Virgin stand. Now this should be fun!!!
>

>Erm...........................................Lots of nice
>er.......................games and the like.
>
>Whew that was close! :-)

Oh dear we have a memory problem, should I remind you?

Perhaps the words "oh dear, is that a red mouse!" etc etc will get
those poor worn grey cells up and running....

Paul Delaney

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

I think it was Angus Manwaring (Angus@angusm_antispam_.demon.co.uk) who said
something about Re: ECTS - Lotta BBW's:

acli...@psygnosis.com is the Psygnosis shop rep. The other addy I have
is for Mike Clark, one of the music guys, mi...@popstar.com.

> Also Sierra On-line are supposed to be doing a Babylon 5 game. I've looked
> on their web sites for info, but find absolutely nothing. Any ideas?

I shall look into this, I'd be *VERY* interested in a B5 game, nearly as
much as Exporer2260.

Paul

| Tabloid reporters are to journalism what |
| grave robbers are to open heart surgery. |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Paul Delaney | http://www.delaney.demon.co.uk/ |
| pa...@delaney.demon.co.uk | for |
| MoonDog or Delboy on IRC | The UK PSX Pages |
| Surfing the Net with AMIGA | The Alisha's Attic Fan Page |
| Back for the future | The UK Jennifer Aniston Pages |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------+

Stratford Warlord Hamilton

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997 02:47:27 GMT, mcl...@dellos.demon.co.uk (Paul
Irvine) wrote:

>The other Day Stratford <Stra...@hamiltons.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>In article <5vcscq$n1q$1...@morse.news.easynet.net>, Vailen
>><tyro...@ukonline.co.uk> writes
>>>the best thing about the show was the babes!
>>>
>>Yep, apart from the Virgin stand!,
>

>Now Stratford, you're being a bit naughty here, tell the kind folks
>what we all saw at the Virgin stand. Now this should be fun!!!

Erm...........................................Lots of nice
er.......................games and the like.

Whew that was close! :-)

"I am Cornholio, Are you threatning me!!!"

Stratford Hamilton

Stratford Warlord Hamilton

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 03:56:53 GMT, mcl...@dellos.demon.co.uk (Paul
Irvine) wrote:

>The other Day stra...@hamiltons.demon.co.uk (Stratford "Warlord"
>Hamilton) wrote:
>

>>>Now Stratford, you're being a bit naughty here, tell the kind folks
>>>what we all saw at the Virgin stand. Now this should be fun!!!
>>
>>Erm...........................................Lots of nice
>>er.......................games and the like.
>>
>>Whew that was close! :-)
>

>Oh dear we have a memory problem, should I remind you?
>
>Perhaps the words "oh dear, is that a red mouse!" etc etc will get
>those poor worn grey cells up and running....

Oh thats right I forget it was the excellent looking 3d beat um up
that will never make it to the PSX because it only uses the 3dfx card
called

"Red Mouse Fighter EX Alpha 4 (Lets Rock).

Now youv'e reminded me thanks Paul!.

Bye....