Medievil 2 - anyone playing?

Boggis

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Hi folks,

Medievil 2 is going for 11.99 on Gamesstreet at the moment, is it
any good? I've heard some good reviews, and it sounds actually
quite innovative (gasp!) and amusing. I never really played the
first one much, but FWIR it was pretty cool. Is anyone playing
the new one? (And I don't mean you Paul D and others at SCEE!)

Boggis xxx

---http://www.cryst.BLINDFOLD.bbk.ac.uk/~bgalb01/BoggisHome.htm---
[Remove the blindfold to see my (crap) website]
[Currently playing: GT2, Rollcage Stage II, Micro Maniacs]
[Waiting to play: Colin McRae 2, Munch's Oddyssey (PS2)]

Stewart Smith

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Ant wrote:

> >Medievil 2 is going for 11.99 on Gamesstreet at the moment,
>
> Go through the EGG link and get it for £9.59.

Yep I did and they've just sent it out, they seemed to have run out of stock for
a couple of days though. Talking of Medievil 2, I played the demo but couldn't
figure out how to kill the big boney boss. I assumed you have to get on it's
back but I'm not sure. Can someone put me out of my ignorance?

Stew
--

Stewart Smith
Department of Electrical Engineering, The University of Edinburgh

Paul Donovan

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00

"Stewart Smith" <Stewar...@ee.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Yep I did and they've just sent it out, they seemed to have run out of
stock for
> a couple of days though. Talking of Medievil 2, I played the demo but
couldn't
> figure out how to kill the big boney boss. I assumed you have to get on
it's
> back but I'm not sure. Can someone put me out of my ignorance?

spoiler...

When he stops moving and those 'brainwaves' start coming out of his head,
jump onto his tail and run up his back. Hit his brain with your sword. I
can't remember how many times you have to do this as it's a long time since
I played it ( and it's probably been tweaked since).

Paul

Boggis

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
In article <390708A5...@ee.ed.ac.uk>, Stewart Smith

<Stewar...@ee.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>Ant wrote:
>>

>> >Medievil 2 is going for 11.99 on Gamesstreet at the moment,
>>
>> Go through the EGG link and get it for £9.59.

Well spotted - I just ordered it, and used some loyalty points,
so I got the game for 4.59!! Crazymental. I expect I could trade
it in for a tenner if I don't like it, but I reckon I'll probably
keep it.

BargainhunterBoggis xxx

JJ

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

I played the demo, it seems pretty close to the original, plus a few extras,
but our release date (for the "US" version) is May 9.

The first "MediEvil" was excellent, one of the best haunted/d&d types ever.
Kinda' meant for kids in a way, but very well done, classic, I thought.

By the way, was anybody ever able to enter the "Troll's Head Tavern" in the Sleeping
Village back in MediEvil (1)? I could've sworn I heard people talking in there.

What do the game-makers have to say about it?

In article <0f2a9c34...@usw-ex0104-028.remarq.com>, boggisN...@my-dejanews.com.invalid says...

>Hi folks,
>
>Medievil 2 is going for 11.99 on Gamesstreet at the moment, is it
>any good? I've heard some good reviews, and it sounds actually
>quite innovative (gasp!) and amusing. I never really played the
>first one much, but FWIR it was pretty cool. Is anyone playing
>the new one? (And I don't mean you Paul D and others at SCEE!)

Jim Hughes

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Ant wrote:

> >Medievil 2 is going for 11.99 on Gamesstreet at the moment,
>
> Go through the EGG link and get it for £9.59.

Have you got an address for this Ant?

cheers Jim

Derek Jolly

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
jhu...@pinnacle.jr2.ox.ac.uk (Jim Hughes), in message
<39082D...@pinnacle.jr2.ox.ac.uk>, wrote

www.gamesstreet.co.uk/egg
Then navigate the site as normal.

Be quick though, as I think today's the last day for this offer.
(Just pre-ordered RE:Code Veronica for the DC at 19.19 UKP :))
--
* Derek Jolly (jol...@xsagetetra.com) (Remove the 'x' for e-mail) *
* UGVP FAQ: http://www.beatbawx.f9.co.uk/stuff/ugvp/ *

Jim Hughes

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Derek Jolly wrote:

> jhu...@pinnacle.jr2.ox.ac.uk (Jim Hughes), in message
> <39082D...@pinnacle.jr2.ox.ac.uk>, wrote

> >> Go through the EGG link and get it for £9.59.
> >
> >Have you got an address for this Ant?
>
> www.gamesstreet.co.uk/egg
> Then navigate the site as normal.
>
> Be quick though, as I think today's the last day for this offer.
> (Just pre-ordered RE:Code Veronica for the DC at 19.19 UKP :))

Cheers Derek just got it for the 9.95 price.

Jim

Graham Goring

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
In article <0f2a9c34...@usw-ex0104-028.remarq.com>, Boggis
<boggisN...@my-dejanews.com.invalid> writes

>Hi folks,
>
>Medievil 2 is going for 11.99 on Gamesstreet at the moment, is it
>any good? I've heard some good reviews, and it sounds actually
>quite innovative (gasp!) and amusing. I never really played the
>first one much, but FWIR it was pretty cool. Is anyone playing
>the new one? (And I don't mean you Paul D and others at SCEE!)

Also, for anyone whose played the game much, how is the control?

Some levels on the original (the Pirate Ship one especially) were
bloody awful due to the awful control which meant that when you wanted
to fall onto a moving platform the daft skeleton actually spent a full
second faffing about trying to avoid doing exactly what you wanted
him to do before plummeting to his demise. Plus judging what was
where was a nightmare as well in that level sometimes... Grrr!

Reason I stopped playing the bloody game... (Pity as it's the
nearest thing to a Tim Burton movie on the PS)

Graham Goring

--

[ The Retrospec Games Remake Page -------- www.retrospec.co.uk ]
[ My Web Page ------------------ www.duketastrophy.demon.co.uk ]

"Scythe and black shroud for sale due to change of job."

squidly

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
> Also, for anyone whose played the game much, how is the control?
>
> Some levels on the original (the Pirate Ship one especially) were
> bloody awful due to the awful control which meant that when you wanted
> to fall onto a moving platform the daft skeleton actually spent a full
> second faffing about trying to avoid doing exactly what you wanted
> him to do before plummeting to his demise. Plus judging what was
> where was a nightmare as well in that level sometimes... Grrr!

Its a lot easy to judge jumps in M2....control seems a lot less sticky, but on
tight run ups, you still encounter the refusal to jump, occaisionally....

> Reason I stopped playing the bloody game... (Pity as it's the
> nearest thing to a Tim Burton movie on the PS)

You're not wrong there.....Hmmmmm....now THERE's a thought.....TIm Burton does
Dan Fortesque.....

I might bring that up on the Tim Burton list :-)

Cam Rhone

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
> (Pity as it's the
>nearest thing to a Tim Burton movie on the PS)
>
>Graham Goring

hmmmm, nightmare before xmas, methinks? class film,v.v.v.medievel-ish
Cam Rhone

"Heeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!!!!!"

JJ

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
In article <Wa9Q4.7572$OO6.8...@nnrp4.clara.net>, squ...@clara.net says...

>> Also, for anyone whose played the game much, how is the control?
>>
>> Some levels on the original (the Pirate Ship one especially) were
>> bloody awful due to the awful control which meant that when you wanted

Absolutely Dang-Nabbit Correct!

That bloody Pirate Ship almost ruined the game for me.
In fact, I had given up on the game entirely, 'till one day I tried it again,
just for the hell of it, and I finally got it after like 25 attempts!.

It almost wasn't worth it, cause if I had to do it again,
it would still take 25 tries, or longer, and I'm to old for that! :-)

>> Reason I stopped playing the bloody game... (Pity as it's the

A friend of mine "chucked" it too.

>> nearest thing to a Tim Burton movie on the PS)

Yeah it is, in fact Tim might not even need to use clay next time, if he gets a
nice comfy computer for himself.

Oh! by the way, did I ever tell anyone here about hiding under Zorak's "pulpit"
during the final battle?

I discovered that if you stand dirctly behind that "carpet" thing,
(banner hanging from Zarok's pulpit) the horseman (Lord Kardok) can't touch you,
but you can hit him with the Axe.

It's a good jip for saving your health, before the last duel.

I mentioned it to a few walkthrough authors, but I don't know if they ever passed
it on.

Try It!

See if it works for you!

-j

Steven Tattersall

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
> Absolutely Dang-Nabbit Correct!
>
> That bloody Pirate Ship almost ruined the game for me.
> In fact, I had given up on the game entirely, 'till one day I tried it
again,
> just for the hell of it, and I finally got it after like 25 attempts!.
>
> It almost wasn't worth it, cause if I had to do it again,
> it would still take 25 tries, or longer, and I'm to old for that! :-)

When I first moved on to the Medievil 2 project, my first week's task was to
play the entire game through to get a "feel" for the game. Even with the
cheat on, it took me half a day to finish that level...

The jumps have been made far easier on this game. I was often the guinea pig
because I'm rubbish at gamesplaying, so if I couldn't do it, we made it
easier...

cheers, Steve
Medievil 2 team, Sony Cambridge

carob

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00

> When I first moved on to the Medievil 2 project, my first week's
> task was to
> play the entire game through to get a "feel" for the game. Even
> with the
> cheat on, it took me half a day to finish that level...
> The jumps have been made far easier on this game. I was often the
> guinea pig
> because I'm rubbish at gamesplaying, so if I couldn't do it, we
> made it
> easier...
> cheers, Steve
> Medievil 2 team, Sony Cambridge

Dear Steve,

Just got Medievil 2 (loved the 1st game!)
any clues for this one then?
particularily interested in the 'cheat' mode ;O) any chance mate???
pleeeze !!!???
carob

sy...@locust.paradox.net.au

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Some spoilers in this article. If you don't want to know, bypass this
posting.

Steven Tattersall <Steven_damnsp...@excite.com> wrote:
>> Absolutely Dang-Nabbit Correct!
>>
>> That bloody Pirate Ship almost ruined the game for me.
>> In fact, I had given up on the game entirely, 'till one day I tried it
>> again,
>> just for the hell of it, and I finally got it after like 25 attempts!.
>>
>> It almost wasn't worth it, cause if I had to do it again,
>> it would still take 25 tries, or longer, and I'm to old for that! :-)

I could usually make it through to the Captain, but, he was a gnarly old
sea dog. The regenerating defender skeletons were the kicker.

However, the epitome of dexterity frustration was very definitely in the
gardens trying to knock the signs around to make the clown happy. Took
ages.

> When I first moved on to the Medievil 2 project, my first week's task was to
> play the entire game through to get a "feel" for the game. Even with the
> cheat on, it took me half a day to finish that level...

I've got to congratulate your team, BTW. Medievil is one of the most
enjoyable 3D series I've played. I'm up to The Demon level of M2 and
so far the new one's been pretty good.

A few comments to make on the look and feel of the game:

o The mechanics of the Dankenstein level was great fun. I liked the use
of the Professor's Lab in that level.
o I don't think the ghost as guide thing quite worked. M1's gargoyles
seemed to work better as a static character (or maybe I just liked
that kindly old gargoyle's voice!). Given that the time that
M2 was set, I can see why the ghost was chosen as a vehicle, but,
the cockney boy ghost seemed to detract from the atmosphere.
o Not having regenerating fountains... Evil, guys! (Took me ages to find
the mother lode of treasure chests in that early level with the three
vials. Provided you don't fall anywhere, you can build yourself up
by buying lots of gold armour repairs to take incidental damage.) Full
points for rewarding exploration.
o I'm playing the PAL version. When attempting to free captives in the
pumpkin level, I managed to crash the game twice (it froze up) while
running around the third captives section. IIRC, I was using the axe.
Something to bugfix for the Platinum edition? Aside from that, bug
free.
o Palethorn's voice seemed to get less raspy for The Demon level.
Cough drops? (Zarok's spell book /was/ pretty powerful, mind you :-))
o Loved The Sewers level. Cute premise.
o Overall, the mix of dry humour and atmosphere really works. The humour
permeates the game, from the characters through to the level design.

> The jumps have been made far easier on this game. I was often the guinea pig
> because I'm rubbish at gamesplaying, so if I couldn't do it, we made it
> easier...

Sections of the Cathedral Spires Descent level were pretty nasty.

Hope to see Medievil 3.

carob

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
spoiler...spoiler...

Completed Medievil 2 !
Bigger than the Demon - huh?
waiting for third...it's coming for sure isn't is, Steve /Iain ? ;0))
One thing we can't understand is, why there wasn't more involvement
with the 'Club' in Whitechapel - why can't we meet Kiya ? ...or, is
there an order in which you collect (3) things and enter ?
Did save her tho after Time machine.
Also... we thought there were s'posed to be 17 levels (we did 15) - and
obviously no cheats! coz there aren't any are there?
Love Dan hand - he's mighty handy...
Easier than expected, must say - absolutely adored Medievil 1 -
specially the music (jac o'the green anyone?)
so many questions...finished the game in 12 hours - are we missing
vital clues?

cheers & well done to Cambridge Crew !
Carob

sy...@locust.paradox.net.au

May 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/14/00
carob <s.carob...@virgin.net.invalid> wrote:
> spoiler...spoiler...

(more spoiler space...)

> Completed Medievil 2 !
> Bigger than the Demon - huh?

Actually, I was surprised that The Demon was the last level. I was expecting
a quick get-away by Palethorn and another level or two to finally get to
do one-on-one battle.

[...]

> Also... we thought there were s'posed to be 17 levels (we did 15) - and
> obviously no cheats! coz there aren't any are there?

There's at least hidden mini-level in there (Rescue The Hands).

> cheers & well done to Cambridge Crew !

Indeed!

Paul Kristensen

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
I agree, a fun time for all, I thought there would be more after the demon, as
he was not that hard. I now am revisiting all levels and exploring the hidden
stashes which would have been very useful to have gathered during the game. You
mention "There's at least hidden mini-level in there (Rescue The Hands)." Please
explain a bit more

Steven Tattersall

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
> o I'm playing the PAL version. When attempting to free captives in the
> pumpkin level, I managed to crash the game twice (it froze up) while
> running around the third captives section. IIRC, I was using the axe.
> Something to bugfix for the Platinum edition? Aside from that, bug
> free.

We found this, and it is fixed for the US version. It was a bug in the
spitting lilies that led to random memory being corrupted if things were
created or destroyed in unfortunate ways. It was my fault, and I had to come
back off my holiday to fix it!

Thanks for the views, they all come in handy for any games we write.

Steve
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe

carob

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
> > spoiler...spoiler...
> (more spoiler space...)

Oops,Yep, you're absolutely right...
sincerest apologies for not leaving more of a space...
shant forget next time ! (thanx for pointing it out):O))

kind regards carob