Play, Want, Bin, and all that jazz

Zomoniac

Nov 14, 2005, 4:17:18 AM11/14/05
Play:

KAMEOOOOO (X360) - I've now finished the opening level and boss three
times. Anyone who loves platformers, anyone who loves adventures, and
just anyone who really loves good games: This is gonna pwn you.

Call Of Duty 2 (X360) - Ace. I'm crap though.

Peter Jackson's King Kong (X360) - As above.

Hexic HD (X360) - Weeeird. If you're not exactly great on
distinguishing colours, like me, then this one's a bitch.

NFS:MW Demo (PS2) - HAHAHA! This game will be Christmas number one and
it has single-figure frame-rates throughout! Do I laugh or cry?

Halo 2 (XB) - Big system-link deathmatch at a GAME lock-in. I came
second, every time, and could frequently be heard screaming "Damn you,
Halo0002".

Crazy Taxi 3 (XB) - Managed to pick it up for £7.49, which is a good
price for it. It's basically Crazy Taxi with a hop button, a new city
which I'll probably never get around to playing and much harder Crazy
Box games than the last two.

Project Gotham Racing 2 (XB) - Put this in last night to get some
practice in for PGR3. 360 has destroyed my soul. When this came out I
thought it was the prettiest game ever made. I've never played PGR3,
but having seen about 2 hours of in-game footage, I put this in and all
I could think about was how bland it was.

Want:

Xbox 360 etc etc etc.

Time. I really wish you could buy time.

Bin:

J Allard's gamercard making me jealous. "HiroProtagonist is online
playing PGR3/Kameo/Perfect Dark Zero/Everything else". Bastard.

18 days of slow, slow life. Although hopefully gigs from Bob Dylan
(whooo!) and the Proclaimers (erm...) should speed things up a tad.

--
Zo

GamerTag: Zomoniac (Pro Evo 5, Halo 2, PGR2, MotoGP, DOAU, Outrun 2)
Last game completed: Plump Pop (Taito Legends): Xbox - 08/10/2005
Currently playing: Ico - PS2

The Rev

Nov 14, 2005, 4:46:33 AM11/14/05
Zomoniac wrote:
> Play:

The Movies (PC) - Mostly the management side of things. It starts off
great when it's all new, then gets slightly frustrating, then settles
back into a comfortable groove. I'm now the second best studio, despite
pretty much doing what I did when I was sixth. No idea how that works.
Haven't played with the movie-making tools much, but did subtitle one
movie my underlings made -
http://www.mysecretshame.co.uk/games/movies/tenderspirit.wmv

Halo 2 (XBOX) - It's great fun online. I only ever dive into quick
matches. Maybe I should try some of the team games some time.

GTA:LCS (PSP) - Let down a bit by the PSP itself. Controls and sound.

Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA) - Vertically scrolling shooter stage does my
head in. I just can't get past it for some reason.

> Want:

An Xbox 360. Game's web site sent me a nice email saying I'd get one on
launch day. Although that assumes delivery people actually deliver it.
And the bank don't but a hold on my card because it's not normally used
for stuff that big. (They've done it before.) If card works - and it
will have the funds, I've worked it out - then I will, quite literally,
be standing in the street waiting to wave down delivery van all day on
the second of December. My flat is in an awkward place, you see.

King Kong (360) - Because Xbox demo was great.

Call of Duty 2 (360) - Because PC demo was great.

PGR3 (360) - Because PGR2 was great.

Perfect Dark Zero (360) Because... um... I have no idea why I want this one.

> Bin:

World of Warcraft (PC) - Not a conscious decision, just haven't started
it up in a week or so.

Thunderbird crashing and making me type all of this post again. Gah.

--
Xbox Live Gamertag: Prinny
(You know, like the exploding penguin doods. No?)

Sprite

Nov 14, 2005, 5:05:08 AM11/14/05

"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Play:

World of teh Warcraft (PC): It wash great. I got tipshy and the whole world
started spinnegn.
Otherwise great fun, been grouping and stuff, yay!

> Want:

Animal Crossing (DS)
Mario Kart (DS)
Tales of Eternia (PSP)

> Bin:

> 18 days of slow, slow life. Although hopefully gigs from Bob Dylan
> (whooo!) and the Proclaimers (erm...) should speed things up a tad.

Pfft try three months. If anyone ever wonders why I can spend so much time
in the NG or playing Warcraft it is because I HAVE NO LIFE.

Lack of life.

--
Sue

deKay

Nov 14, 2005, 5:00:43 AM11/14/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Play:

>Crazy Taxi 3 (XB) - Managed to pick it up for £7.49, which is a good
>price for it. It's basically Crazy Taxi with a hop button,

Crazy Taxi 2 had a hop button too.

But I played:

Phoenix Wright: Acebest Attorney (DS)
I haven't found a game this hilarious since I bought Maniac Mansion. It is
BEST. Onto Case 4 now, but haven't made it into the courtroom yet. Lovin' it
lovin' it lovin' it, lovin' it like this.

Gunstar Supar Heroes (GBA)
Why is Seven Force harder with Red than with Blue? Eh? Eh?

Sonic Advance 2 (GBA)
With Sonic Rush OUT TOMORROW, I thought I'd best finish this. So did.
However, it has a SuckySuck(TM) bit to end all SuckySuck(TM) bits at the end.
FFS. Oh, and I didn't have all the Chaos Emeralds, so I went back and got
them all, then completed it again, and, even though I had them all, Robotnik
told me I needed to collect all the Chaos Emeralds. GAH! Buggy game?

>Want:

Mario Kart (DS)
Sonic Rush (DS)
Snowboard Kids (DS)
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (DS)
Viewtiful Joe (DS)
Lost Magic (DS)
Mario & Luigi 2 (DS)
Burnout Legends (DS)
Animal Crossing (DS)
Touch Party (DS)
Magical Vacation (DS)
New Super Mario Bros (DS)
Wario Thief (DS) (aka "Wariovania")
Dynasty Warriors (DS)
Children of Mana (DS) (looks GORGEOUS)
Bleach (DS)
Xenosaga I&II (DS)
Contact (DS)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Super Monkey Ball (DS)
ASH (DS) (Jaw dropping pre-rendered visuals)
Metroid Dread (DS)
the new online Castlevania game (DS)
Harvest Moon (DS)
Ribbit King (DS) (OH YES)
Rainbow Islands (DS)
SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters (DS)
The Last Ninja (DS)
Top Spin 2 (DS)
Touch Golf (DS)
Where Do Babies Come From (DS)
Worms (DS)

And the DS games I still have in the post to arrive.

And money to buy all of the above.

>Bin:

Everything that isn't playable on a DS, it seems.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk

Zomoniac

Nov 14, 2005, 5:06:10 AM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14 10:00:43 +0000, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> said:

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov
> 2005 09:17:18 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
> <the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>> Play:
>> Crazy Taxi 3 (XB) - Managed to pick it up for £7.49, which is a good
>> price for it. It's basically Crazy Taxi with a hop button,
>
> Crazy Taxi 2 had a hop button too.

Yes, but that was Crazy Taxi 2 with a hop button. This is Crazy Taxi
with a hop button.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 14, 2005, 5:10:11 AM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14, The Rev <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Zomoniac wrote:
>> Play:

Civ 4 (PC) - best civ evar. Anyone up for a long-winded four year long
play-by-email game? Seriously.

Riviera (GBA) - this is odd. But enjoyable. I think.

>> Want:

Mario Kart DS to arrive for multiplayer goodness.
A single page of a form bearing two signatures to arrive from Oz so I
can get my visa application lodged. It should have been done 8 fecking
weeks ago.

>> Bin:

International post.

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins | ____ _ _ ____ _ _
http://www.nelefa.org | / ___|| |__ (_)_ __ ___ / ___| ___| |_| |

Chris F

Nov 14, 2005, 5:11:25 AM11/14/05
Zomoniac wrote:

> Crazy Taxi 3 (XB) - Managed to pick it up for £7.49, which is a good
> price for it. It's basically Crazy Taxi with a hop button,

so its the same as crazy taxi 2? ;)

deKay

Nov 14, 2005, 5:12:05 AM11/14/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov

uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>>> Play:
>>> Crazy Taxi 3 (XB) - Managed to pick it up for £7.49, which is a good
>>> price for it. It's basically Crazy Taxi with a hop button,
>>
>> Crazy Taxi 2 had a hop button too.
>
>Yes, but that was Crazy Taxi 2 with a hop button. This is Crazy Taxi
>with a hop button.

So you're saying that CT3 is like CT1 with a hop button, but not like CT2?

Zomoniac

Nov 14, 2005, 5:17:24 AM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14 10:12:05 +0000, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> said:

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov
> 2005 10:06:10 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
> <the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>>> Crazy Taxi 2 had a hop button too.
>>
>> Yes, but that was Crazy Taxi 2 with a hop button. This is Crazy Taxi
>> with a hop button.
>
> So you're saying that CT3 is like CT1 with a hop button, but not like CT2?
>
> deKay

Yes, on the grounds that on CT3 I only play the original CT level and
use the original CT drivers, which aren't in CT2. Therefore that's
exactly what I'm saying.

Zomoniac

Nov 14, 2005, 5:17:40 AM11/14/05

Read my response to deKay.

Trooper

Nov 14, 2005, 5:21:55 AM11/14/05
In article <3tr30rF...@individual.net>, the_pro...@hotmail.com
says...

Not done one of these in ages (not really been on usenet for a while due
to new job/house/etc...)

> Play:

<hushed voice> World of Warcraft. </hushed voice> Pretty much the only
game I play these days, in fact, in the past 2 months it is actually the
only game i've played. Still loving it for the most part, get bored
occasionally and don't get good solid chunks of time to play, hence my
inability to get any progress on high level characters. I have loads of
low/middling characters though, Fredrick the priest has just started on
his journey to the dark side...

> Want:

Civ4 and The Movies, but I know I won't play them.

> Bin:

Dusty.

--
Trooper
use...@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

Mal Franks

Nov 14, 2005, 5:25:17 AM11/14/05
> Play:

Dark Age Of Camelot (PC)

Didn't play as much as usual this weekend as most of saturday we were
out. Increased my spellcrafter's ability up a little.

Also dusted off my often ignored smite cleric and went out to the orc
soldiers in Aldland with a group of mates and farmed them for an hour
taking it up just under 3 levels (plus a free level).

From that session I received a substantial amount of high level, low
quality staves, polearms and robes which i salvaged down to wood, metal,
leather & cloth. Normally i'd use a crafter to turn them into trinkets
which would sell for more than the originally dropped items but as I'm
levelling a fletcher and weaponcrafter it'll save me a lot of gold if i
use them for that instead.

Quake IV (PC) - only played it for 20 minutes so far but pretty
enjoyable so far

Serious Sam II (PC) - multiplayer co-op

Missus picked up The Movies (PC) and is pretty much hooked on it - think
I'll get it for myself sometime too :)

Went to Alma De Cuba, a cuban cafe/bar/restaurant in liverpool with the
missus for lunch on saturday in what used to be a church - food was
great and the surroundings rather odd (candles, animal skulls on the
walls - and the altar is still there) :)

> Want:

The Movies (PC)

More time to play games.

To go back to Alma De Cuba (in addition to the staff xmas meal there
next month)

> Bin:

Weekends flying by too quickly.

Niaz Khan

Nov 14, 2005, 5:30:24 AM11/14/05
"Mal Franks" <spa...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Serious Sam II (PC) - multiplayer co-op

What do you think of this ? I did not enjoy the demo I played so have not
gone for the full game.

--
Niaz
[..getting old & still playing video games ..]

UGVM - Celebdaq/Sportdaq League - Contact me if you wanna join

Chris Whitworth

Nov 14, 2005, 5:32:47 AM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14, Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Play:

World of Warcraft (PC) - "It is now time for you to travel to the lands of
Kalimdor and continue your adventure there." "Er, you mean, where I just came
from? Fine. 1500 free XP, I guess." Also: HAHAHAHAHA DIE MURLOC SCUM.

FFTA (GBA) - This is still acebest. Even second time through. A few little
things niggle - it's kind of annoyingly slow in places, and the levelling up
of the individual characters in your clan depends heavily on their starting
stats, which means anything other than the first six or so members are at a
persistent disadvantage throughout the game.

Kameo (X360) - Briefly, in HMV, just now. Meh. Shiny - very shiny - but meh.

Pac'n'roll (DS) - Stuck on a stupid level with floaty moving platforms and wind
and grrrrrrr.

Nintendogs (DS) - My pup was dirty and hungry, but still seemed to remember me.

> Want:

Phoenix Wright
Mario Kart DS
Animal Crossing DS
Shinier laptop to play WoW in a shinier way.

Also, having seen Teh Revinat0rs films from The Movies, I'm quite curious about
it.

> Bin:

Meh.

Chris
--
"back when I was young, we had to travel back in time to put the tape
in so the game would load before we died."

Mal Franks

Nov 14, 2005, 5:34:18 AM11/14/05
In article <43786754$0$23293$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>,
usene...@gmail.com says...

> "Mal Franks" <spa...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Serious Sam II (PC) - multiplayer co-op
>
> What do you think of this ? I did not enjoy the demo I played so have not
> gone for the full game.

It's not bad, a bit buggy though and the lives system for multiplayer
co-op is a pain in the bum. First & Second Encounters are much better.

deKay

Nov 14, 2005, 5:31:29 AM11/14/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov

uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>>> Yes, but that was Crazy Taxi 2 with a hop button. This is Crazy Taxi
>>> with a hop button.
>>
>> So you're saying that CT3 is like CT1 with a hop button, but not like CT2?
>>
>> deKay
>
>Yes, on the grounds that on CT3 I only play the original CT level and
>use the original CT drivers, which aren't in CT2. Therefore that's
>exactly what I'm saying.

Fair enough then.

Nathan

Nov 14, 2005, 5:44:51 AM11/14/05
Zomoniac has fallen from outer space. Launch them back to defend the
planet and maintain peace!!!

> Play:

World of Warcraft. Did a n000b0r instance run yesterday which was fun,
and less stressful than soloing mother smoulderweb. Bitch. But we're
going to kill her tonight and she IS going to drop my wildheart boots.

Wipeout Pure. Just a tournament here and there. I like it, but it's a
bit intense for a handheld game really.

Lumines and Everybody's Golf. Though, I think I might start doing the
speed challenges in Lumines because I'm going off the idea of 2 hour
games, and sleep mode isn't always great when you want to play something
else inbetween.

Golf is still nice relaxing fun though. I think I want more games like
that.

Monkey Island 1. Played it through in one night, when you know the score
it's quite a short game. Still fun though, and I still love the line
"How did you get in here without a head?" / "I have a head."

I'll be playing Monkey Island 2 soon, and am wondering if it's worth
trying it out on my PSP. I'm wary of homebrew, even though I don't have
to do any silly version changing or anything now that certain things
(like scummvm) work on 2.0 now. I don't know. If I'm getting the files
from a reputable source, what are the risks involved? Assuming that the
eboot loader and scummvm stuff is all legit, is there still a chance of
bricking the PSP?

> Want:

Loads and loads of stuff, but just can't bring myself to spend money on
games at the moment.

> Bin:

Ridge Racer PSP, seem to have lost all interest in it.

--
Nathan.
Bow to the Cow!

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 14, 2005, 6:02:10 AM11/14/05
In article <3tr30rF...@individual.net>,
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Play:

ICO (PS2) - Yes, I'm way behind on the times, and this is only one of
abouit a dozen unplayed games on my shelf. There's poetry in the
one-button act of pursuading Yorda to leap across chasms and climb up
walls. I'm sure if Freud lived in the era of video games, he would have
something to say about young men and the act of pursuading young women to
do thnigs, but that's way off topic. :)

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (PC) - Again, behind the times. I just installed
the 'Killing Fields' mod, which is a pleasantly violent little dungeon
romp free of logic or storyline. I'm also keeping a very close eye on an
upcoming mod known as 'Infernal Rapture' which promises to be substantive
and more than a little provocative.

>Want:

Stella Deus (PS2) - Unlike Phantom Brave, which was produced in volumes
too high for regular retail to handle, Stella Deus is nowhere to be found
and has not hit the bargain bins. That's in the States, and the situation
in Her Majesty's lands may be different.

Any Neo Geo MVS cart - I just bought a Neo Geo arcade board fitted with
video output jacks and a home power lead, much to the annoyance of the
woman of the house. As long as I'm sleeping on the couch, I'll seek to
become the King of Fighters while I'm there. :)

>Bin:

The post - Sent a TurboExpress portable to a mate in Australia, and
somewhere along the way it lost the ability to output video. I'm THIS
close to comissioning a worldwide courier service strictly for the
purpose of transporting video game hardware and software across
international borders in comfortable laps of young Italian women sitting
in the first class cabin. Ahem.

-KKC, who wonders what to do with an extra PS2. Any fun linkable games?
--
-- "I bought a house, it's a two bedroom house. But - kendrick
I think it's up to me how many bedrooms there are, - @io.com

Trousers

Nov 14, 2005, 6:20:22 AM11/14/05
Zomoniac's in the noose, hang loose kid.
> Play:

The getting travel sorted for Xbox 360 Zero Hour sorted plus tickets for
some band called Thrice that might mate wants to see.

Also finished Crimson Skies and played a bit of Jedi Starfighter

> Want:

To have the willpower to keep the xbox 360 I buy at zero hour rather
than making a quick profit on ebay with R@RE!!1 L@@@K!! plastered all
over it.

> Bin:

11 hour flights. oh dear I'm going to be knackered.

--
Trousers
"Also, I can kill you with my brain"

James Sutherland

Nov 14, 2005, 6:36:17 AM11/14/05
kend...@fnord.io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua) wrote in

> Stella Deus (PS2) - Unlike Phantom Brave, which was produced in
> volumes too high for regular retail to handle, Stella Deus is nowhere
> to be found and has not hit the bargain bins. That's in the States,
> and the situation in Her Majesty's lands may be different.

Well, in the sense that it's not been released at all over here, I guess it
is.

I didn't really like that game that much. It was all far too simplistic,
with pretty much nothing outside of the battles. It always seemed that
whether you won any given fight was determined primarily by how much you'd
levelled up, rather than needing any actual skill. Looks pretty though.

Niaz Khan

Nov 14, 2005, 6:36:14 AM11/14/05

> It's not bad, a bit buggy though and the lives system for multiplayer
> co-op is a pain in the bum. First & Second Encounters are much better.

Yep enjoyed them much more & I think the egypt surrounding was better than
some neo-future setting.
I'll give it a miss & go back to texas poker - my current vice

jacko

Nov 14, 2005, 6:43:36 AM11/14/05

Play

Lot's inc WOW, X3, FEAR but they all pale into insignificance after

CIV 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody hell this is good - I mean really good
(apart from the interface which you have to read the manual to understand.
Have played solidly for 4 days and it's awesome

Want

COD2 - for Xmas although I just saw it running on a 360 yesterday and it did
look bloody good on that.....

Bin

Work as always

BombayMix

Nov 14, 2005, 6:57:22 AM11/14/05
Play
World Of Warcraft
Started a warrior on the Dreanor server. I found the hunter there
painfully slow. The server much quieter then Twilight's Hammer, my
copper bars don't go for nearly as much!! Anyway had a good old chat
to Sprite while on there.

On Saturday the Horde decide to raid Ironforge on my Allicance's
toons server. It wasn't going very well. Wasn't so much as the
Alliance killing them but the insane lag. The server crashing under the
strain didn't help too. Hours later I logged back on and did a run of
The Deadmines. Instances are without a doubt the best bet of WoW. That
instance run was the most fun I've had in a while. Just a shame
everyone bugger off when the party got wiped towards the end.

The Movies
Bought it, took it back, bought it next door at 12 quid cheaper then
spent most of Sunday afternoon playing it. Great fun. The movie making
much more limited then I thought. I'm sceptical how long the fun will
last. Still, worth the money. Just wait for my blockbuster Aztec
Zombies From Mars (minus the Aztecs and possibly the zombies)

Want
Everyone to start playing Alliance on Thunderhorn! Starting over on a
third server going to be hard work and I really like my Warlock on
Thunderhorn. Free bags for all that do!!!

Bin
House work. I bet Metro, Goldwyn and Mayer never had to stop making
movies to put the rubbish out.

Zomoniac

Nov 14, 2005, 6:59:20 AM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14 11:20:22 +0000, Trousers <getf...@bibble.com> said:

> Zomoniac's in the noose, hang loose kid.
>> Play:
>
> The getting travel sorted for Xbox 360 Zero Hour sorted plus tickets
> for some band called Thrice that might mate wants to see.

I hate you, I really do.

Thrice are a bit crap. But last time I saw them I was in the biggest
pit EVER. They were in a little tent at Leeds Festival and the pit was
lethal, I was down several times, nearly lost a shoe that was bolted
around my calf, a mate lost his glasses, it was ace! Much deadlier than
the pits I've been in for the likes of Slipknot, SOAD, Metallica, RATM,
Manson etc. Basically, what I'm saying is if you're planning on going
to the front, I suggest you take some kind of riot body armour.

DBSnappa

Nov 14, 2005, 7:20:52 AM11/14/05
Zomoniac wrote:
> Play:
>
> KAMEOOOOO (X360) - I've now finished the opening level and boss three
> times. Anyone who loves platformers, anyone who loves adventures, and
> just anyone who really loves good games: This is gonna pwn you.
>
> Call Of Duty 2 (X360) - Ace. I'm crap though.
>
> Peter Jackson's King Kong (X360) - As above.

How on earth did you wangle such extended play time? Was it a lock in at
Game or soemthing?

Anyway... playage. Very little this weekend, just...

Far Cry (Xbox) and only for about an hour or so. Still fun and I think I
must be getting close to the end now, though the spawning behind you
enemies are a bit of a drag.

That's it.

> Want:
>
> Xbox 360 etc etc etc.

me too, but I haven't preordered, so I may still be wanting one come Dec
3rd!

Anyway, it gives me time to finish up a few games that I've been meaning
to. Christmas is one of my quality gaming periods, as there is nothing
else to do.

> Bin:

nothing much I can think of for here...

Sprite

Nov 14, 2005, 7:26:19 AM11/14/05

"BombayMix" <bomb...@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message

> Play
> World Of Warcraft
> Started a warrior on the Dreanor server. I found the hunter there
> painfully slow. The server much quieter then Twilight's Hammer, my
> copper bars don't go for nearly as much!! Anyway had a good old chat
> to Sprite while on there.

About the pro's and con's of a Rogan Josh IIRC ;)

> On Saturday the Horde decide to raid Ironforge on my Allicance's
> toons server. It wasn't going very well. Wasn't so much as the
> Alliance killing them but the insane lag. The server crashing under the
> strain didn't help too. Hours later I logged back on and did a run of
> The Deadmines. Instances are without a doubt the best bet of WoW. That
> instance run was the most fun I've had in a while. Just a shame
> everyone bugger off when the party got wiped towards the end.

I had my first instance run and I really enjoyed it :) Nathan and Michael
didn't tell me I was completely useless anyway!

> Want
> Everyone to start playing Alliance on Thunderhorn! Starting over on a
> third server going to be hard work and I really like my Warlock on
> Thunderhorn. Free bags for all that do!!!

Maybe one day ;)

--
Sue

Zomoniac

Nov 14, 2005, 7:29:36 AM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14 12:20:52 +0000, DBSnappa
<davidjREMOV...@hotmail.com> said:

> Zomoniac wrote:
>> Play:
>>
>> KAMEOOOOO (X360) - I've now finished the opening level and boss three
>> times. Anyone who loves platformers, anyone who loves adventures, and
>> just anyone who really loves good games: This is gonna pwn you.
>>
>> Call Of Duty 2 (X360) - Ace. I'm crap though.
>>
>> Peter Jackson's King Kong (X360) - As above.
>
> How on earth did you wangle such extended play time? Was it a lock in
> at Game or soemthing?

It's a fairly quiet branch, so when I drop Mary off at 10am on a Sunday
and pick her up again at 4, especially given that Game is pretty much
the only shop in Bradford open on a Sunday, it's completely dead so I
can play for ages.

Beck

Nov 14, 2005, 8:07:56 AM11/14/05

"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Play:

Play - nothing at the moment

Want - 360 of course :-)

Bin - My PSP

Nils Tanner

Nov 14, 2005, 9:18:54 AM11/14/05
Why is a mushroom called mushroom? As usual, Zomoniac
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> got it all completely wrong and wrote:

>Play:

Paper Mario...and nothing else. I completed chapter 2 and started on
chapter 3. IIRC, I'm not about in the middle of said chapter. It's a
wonderful game, quite relaxing really. And it's full of little things
which make me smile. I'll probably start PM2 again after this.

>Want:

Paper Mario 3. If they ever make it.
Mario & Luigi 2: Looking forward to this. I tremendously enjoyed the
first one, so my hopes are high...

>Bin:

Probably my Dreamcasts and my MegaDrive. I never play them anymore.
And we'll be moving next year. I really don't know whether it's worth
keeping them. On the one hand, I'll regret giving them away, but then
again I know I'll probably never use them again.

The last game I regularly played on the DC was Rez, but I'm not really
sure whether I'll get into it once again. *sigh* Would anyone be
interested in Rez on the DC?

deKay

Nov 14, 2005, 9:37:14 AM11/14/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov
2005 13:07:56 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk "Beck"
<my_bu...@btopenworld.invalid> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Bin - My PSP

I'll give you a pound for it. Can never have too many bits of tat :)

Beck

Nov 14, 2005, 9:46:17 AM11/14/05

"deKay" <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote in message

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14
> Nov
> 2005 13:07:56 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk "Beck"
> <my_bu...@btopenworld.invalid> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>Bin - My PSP
>
> I'll give you a pound for it. Can never have too many bits of tat :)

times that by 100 maybe :-)

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 14, 2005, 9:47:43 AM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov
> 2005 13:07:56 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk "Beck"
><my_bu...@btopenworld.invalid> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>Bin - My PSP
>
> I'll give you a pound for it. Can never have too many bits of tat :)

Get a grip, dude! You could get almost two packets of cream crackers for
a pound!

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins | ____ _ _ ____ _ _
http://www.nelefa.org | / ___|| |__ (_)_ __ ___ / ___| ___| |_| |

Niaz Khan

Nov 14, 2005, 9:50:20 AM11/14/05
"Beck" <my_bu...@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message

>>>Bin - My PSP
>>
>> I'll give you a pound for it. Can never have too many bits of tat :)
>
> times that by 100 maybe :-)

Why do you hate it ?

deKay

Nov 14, 2005, 9:52:10 AM11/14/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 14 Nov 2005
14:47:43 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,
yawatina tan reek esk Sir Chewbury Gubbins <chewbury...@nelefa.org>

fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>> I'll give you a pound for it. Can never have too many bits of tat :)

>Get a grip, dude! You could get almost two packets of cream crackers for
>a pound!

Crackers make me vomit.

Mind you, so does the thought of owning a PSP :P

Beck

Nov 14, 2005, 9:55:08 AM11/14/05

"Niaz Khan" <usene...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Beck" <my_bu...@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I'll give you a pound for it. Can never have too many bits of tat :)
>>
>> times that by 100 maybe :-)
>
> Why do you hate it ?

Just hate mobile gaming now. I don't enjoy small screens. I don't enjoy the
controls and I am not enjoying the games.
I want rid of it asap.

Niaz Khan

Nov 14, 2005, 10:10:14 AM11/14/05

>>> times that by 100 maybe :-)
>>
>> Why do you hate it ?
>
> Just hate mobile gaming now. I don't enjoy small screens. I don't enjoy
> the controls and I am not enjoying the games.
> I want rid of it asap.

If you don't like small screens, begs the question why did you buy it ?
Flog it & get yourself a xbox360 :)

Anyway if you are selling I may be interested. Drop me an email.

Beck

Nov 14, 2005, 10:14:49 AM11/14/05

"Niaz Khan" <usene...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I bought it because I thought I wanted it. New kid on the block syndrome,
etc.
My 360 is already paid for so am just looking for christmas and holiday
spends.

Niaz Khan

Nov 14, 2005, 10:23:31 AM11/14/05

>> Anyway if you are selling I may be interested. Drop me an email.
>
> I bought it because I thought I wanted it. New kid on the block syndrome,
> etc.

Impulse purchases - i've been there with a mega cd & shining force cd inc
memory card for £180 - never again

> My 360 is already paid for so am just looking for christmas and holiday
> spends.

Drop us an email & maybe I can buy it off you.

Beck

Nov 14, 2005, 10:27:00 AM11/14/05

> "Beck" <my_bu...@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>>> Anyway if you are selling I may be interested. Drop me an email.
>>
>> I bought it because I thought I wanted it. New kid on the block
>> syndrome, etc.
>
> Impulse purchases - i've been there with a mega cd & shining force cd inc
> memory card for £180 - never again

I liked my mega cd :-)

>> My 360 is already paid for so am just looking for christmas and holiday
>> spends.
>
> Drop us an email & maybe I can buy it off you.

Have sent one. Is the reply address okay?

Niaz Khan

Nov 14, 2005, 10:36:02 AM11/14/05

> Impulse purchases - i've been there with a mega cd & shining force cd inc
>> memory card for £180 - never again
>
> I liked my mega cd :-)

So did I before I brought it :)

>>> My 360 is already paid for so am just looking for christmas and holiday
>>> spends.
>>
>> Drop us an email & maybe I can buy it off you.
>
> Have sent one. Is the reply address okay?

Yes, I won't be able to login till I get home though but am interested - I
think like I said earlier 'impulse purchase'

Zomoniac

Nov 14, 2005, 11:39:45 AM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14 14:52:10 +0000, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> said:

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 14 Nov 2005
> 14:47:43 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,
> yawatina tan reek esk Sir Chewbury Gubbins <chewbury...@nelefa.org>
> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>> I'll give you a pound for it. Can never have too many bits of tat :)
>>
>> Get a grip, dude! You could get almost two packets of cream crackers for
>> a pound!
>
> Crackers make me vomit.
>
> Mind you, so does the thought of owning a PSP :P
>

> deKay

And so do I, apparently :-)

neil h

Nov 14, 2005, 11:46:59 AM11/14/05

> Play:

Call of Cthulhu (xbox): Blimey, this game is scary. It really is
surprisingly invloving when the controller starts pulsing, your breath
gets ragged and the screen starts going woozy just as you are trying to
climb across a plank in the rafters or escape from some monster or other.

> Want:

Animal Crossing (DS) : I want it to be December the 5th now!

> Bin:

My nine year old son who crept up behind me when I was playing Call of
Cthulhu and started whispering 'Cthulhu ... Cthulhu ...' in my ear and
made me jump out of my skin.

--
neil h.
"Here's something to think about: How come you never see a headline like

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 14, 2005, 12:06:11 PM11/14/05
In article <3trtc4F...@individual.net>,

neil h <neil_h...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Bin:
>
>My nine year old son who crept up behind me when I was playing Call of
>Cthulhu and started whispering 'Cthulhu ... Cthulhu ...' in my ear and
>made me jump out of my skin.

Putting aside the thought that the boy is comfortable making the joke,
you've taught him about the proper number of times one is to say the name
'Hastur' before it becomes dangerous, right? :)

-KKC, who feels a swelling of warmth and joy upon hearing that the world's
youth is mythos-aware...

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 14, 2005, 12:18:20 PM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kend...@fnord.io.com> wrote:
> In article <3trtc4F...@individual.net>,
> neil h <neil_h...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bin:
>>
>>My nine year old son who crept up behind me when I was playing Call of
>>Cthulhu and started whispering 'Cthulhu ... Cthulhu ...' in my ear and
>>made me jump out of my skin.
>
> Putting aside the thought that the boy is comfortable making the joke,
> you've taught him about the proper number of times one is to say the name
> 'Hastur' before it becomes dangerous, right? :)
>
> -KKC, who feels a swelling of warmth and joy upon hearing that the world's
> youth is mythos-aware...

My nine year old used 'Nyarlathotep" in
his homework a few months back as an example of a complex word.

Teacher told him it wasn't a real world. Is it appears mythos awareness
skips a generation :)

Mal Franks

Nov 14, 2005, 12:23:06 PM11/14/05
In article <5u6hn1td59m7t2mbn...@4ax.com>,
nta...@datacomm.ch says...

> The last game I regularly played on the DC was Rez, but I'm not really
> sure whether I'll get into it once again. *sigh* Would anyone be
> interested in Rez on the DC?

I would - how much? :)

Nils Tanner

Nov 14, 2005, 12:51:29 PM11/14/05
Why is a mushroom called mushroom? As usual, Mal Franks

<spa...@btinternet.com> got it all completely wrong and wrote:

>> The last game I regularly played on the DC was Rez, but I'm not really
>> sure whether I'll get into it once again. *sigh* Would anyone be
>> interested in Rez on the DC?
>I would - how much? :)

I have no idea what a fair price would be to be honest :-)
Do you live in the UK? (Just asking so I could check p&p)

DBSnappa

Nov 14, 2005, 1:17:06 PM11/14/05
Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
> On 2005-11-14, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kend...@fnord.io.com> wrote:

>>>My nine year old son who crept up behind me when I was playing Call of
>>>Cthulhu and started whispering 'Cthulhu ... Cthulhu ...' in my ear and
>>>made me jump out of my skin.
>>
>>Putting aside the thought that the boy is comfortable making the joke,
>>you've taught him about the proper number of times one is to say the name
>>'Hastur' before it becomes dangerous, right? :)
>>
>>-KKC, who feels a swelling of warmth and joy upon hearing that the world's
>>youth is mythos-aware...
>

> My nine year old used 'Nyarlathotep" in
> his homework a few months back as an example of a complex word.
>
> Teacher told him it wasn't a real world. Is it appears mythos awareness
> skips a generation :)

I initially thought that that was spelt backwards ;-\
Reminds me of the time my father (who had a scarily in depth knowledge
of the english language and used to read scary grammar books for fun)
spotted an incorrect correction made by the head of the english
department in my Eng Lang book (it was gender specific use of the word
blond to describe the kid that was sitting next to me, and she added an
'e' changing him to a her). He wrote to the miserable old bag about
standards and all that and I got a bollocking for it from her!

Still, I think we expect too much of teachers but it still disconcerts
me when I know more than they do!

deKay

Nov 14, 2005, 1:31:12 PM11/14/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>And so do I, apparently :-)

There were other things in that picture besides you, mang :)

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/

|- CSS Crap Games Comp 2005: http://www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/speccy/cgc2005/

Mike Jenkins

Nov 14, 2005, 1:54:37 PM11/14/05
The Rev <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Play:

Shadow of the Colossus - Framerate of the Molasses more like(!!!!). I
wish devs would learn to sacrifice detail for a stable framerate. Still,
it's great based on the very quick play I have managed so far.

> > Want:

Loads of those DS games that are on that list posted to ugvh earlier.

> > Bin:

Utterly SHITE console launch lineups. They are always the same, and it's
pathetic.

Off-topic rambling bullshit threatening to kill one of the best
newsgroups ever.

--
Mike Jenkins
Dreamcast / Gamecube FAQs - http://www.kwik-e-mart.org

Quirky

Nov 14, 2005, 2:00:02 PM11/14/05
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:10:11 +0000, Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:

> Riviera (GBA) - this is odd. But enjoyable. I think.

Until this happens: you run out of magic items and come up against a
only-magic-harms-him boss. Where are the shops to stock up on 99 magic
staffs, eh?

rich a

Nov 14, 2005, 2:20:29 PM11/14/05
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote this:

> Play:

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Storiez (PSP): It's alright, I suppose.
Just frustrating because I'm crap at GTA games and would just like a big
"restart mission button" rather than faffing around to restart 'em.

Ouendan! (DS): Brillant stuff.

> Want:

TEH KRATS DS!!! This will seriously be the bestest thing ever. I'm
currently lubing my whole body in goose fat ready to play this
masterpiece.

A new Phoenix Wright game, or a port of those old DOS hentai games to the
DS. NEED.

> Bin:

The booze fairy coming around giving out free booze when I have to le
drive home :(

Pokeyman XP (GC) - I got to the bit where you have to put the pokeymans in
the big Pokeymag washing machine to clean them from evilness and then I
couldn't really work out what I was supposed to do and started overdosing
on cheap cider and clarkey cat until I puked up my pelvic bone. What a
fucking disgrace.

Lister

Nov 14, 2005, 2:20:32 PM11/14/05
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:05:08 -0000, "Sprite"
<sue.k...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> Bin:
>>

>> 18 days of slow, slow life. Although hopefully gigs from Bob Dylan
>> (whooo!) and the Proclaimers (erm...) should speed things up a tad.
>
>Pfft try three months. If anyone ever wonders why I can spend so much time
>in the NG or playing Warcraft it is because I HAVE NO LIFE.
>
>Lack of life.

Join the club :)

Pessimist

Nov 14, 2005, 3:05:37 PM11/14/05

"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Play:

Everybody's Golf (PS2) - Read it again... Why splash out on Tiger Woods for Xbox
360 when I can enjoy this?

Links 2004 (Xbox) - See above.

Ultimate Pro Pinball (PS2) - See above.

Having a massive dump whilst peering into the mysterious darkness of our washing
machine (RL) - See above.

> Want:

To know if this "TATE" action on a PSP is at all practical:

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platform=psp&game=StarSoldier

Tomorrow's gig to be good.

> Bin:

Video games (GC, PS2, Xbox) - The decent ones, anyway. Looking back, I've picked
up far too many sickeningly playable offerings this year. And it was all going
so well... But no, GT4, RE4, TS:FP, GV, CVS2, EG, O2, SFAC, and UPP have already
robbed my existence of tracts of time which can never be replaced. And there's
no end in sight, FFS. Not impressed.

Jauhelihapihvi röstiperunoilla (Oven) - Tastes great, but sounds suspiciously
like some kind of anti-corrosion surface treatment for a submerged arc welding
machine.

-P

Martin Linklater

Nov 14, 2005, 3:13:08 PM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14 09:17:18 +0000, Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> said:

> Play:
>
> KAMEOOOOO (X360) - I've now finished the opening level and boss three
> times. Anyone who loves platformers, anyone who loves adventures, and
> just anyone who really loves good games: This is gonna pwn you.

bastard !

> Call Of Duty 2 (X360) - Ace. I'm crap though.

git !

> Peter Jackson's King Kong (X360) - As above.

gah ! I hate you !

GTA:LCS (PSP) - Pretty much the only thing I've been playing this week.
I'm on the third island and I'm 40% complete according to the save
game. Great. Simply great. Although me and a few of the chaps at work
have tried multiplayer for a few hours and it's pretty rubbish. The
frame rate plummets, the game maps are too large and the weapon
balancingn is waaaay off. The multiplayer is definitely the weakest
plart of the whole game.

> Want:
>
> Xbox 360 etc etc etc.

Ditto.

A HD TV.

> Bin:

Not much. The camera in GTA:LCS, probably.

--
'Cogito Ergo Sup' - I think, therefore I drink.

James Sutherland

Nov 14, 2005, 3:30:51 PM11/14/05
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:3tr30rFu7ionU1
@individual.net:

> Play:

Much the same as last week.

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2) - This is actually really good. Not
perfect, by a long shot, but the good bits easily outweigh the bad. It
seems to be a fair bit longer than Lament; I've got around 18 hours on the
clock, though it doesn't feel like I've been playing it that long. I think
I'm fairly close to the end now, anyway, but there's stuff I want to do
before facing the final few bosses (want to evolve some different devils
and collect certain materials that I need for the better weapons).

Phoenix Wright (DS) - I'm on the final case now, which isn't as good as the
previous ones. Still decent, but there seems to be a lot more showing
random items to people in the hope it'll trigger the next bit of the game.
Also, forced usage of the microphone, which is always crap if you're
playing the game in public. Hope they bring the upcoming DS sequel over
here too. And the other two GBA games, come to that.

Suikoden Tactics (PS2) - Only tried it briefly to see what it's like.
Seems alright. Comes with a nice soundtrack CD with remixed music from all
the main Suikoden games.

> Want:

Sonic Rush, Dragon Quest VIII, Wild ARMs.

Shadow the Hedgehog to defy all reasonable expectations and actually be
good.

Tsuukin Hitofude. I thought this was coming out on the DS too, but it
seems to be GBA only. Is that right?

To know if your Xbox Live Arcade games will transfer over to the Xbox 360.
I bet they don't.

> Bin:

Whoever's fault it is that I don't own my new flat yet. How can it take
eight weeks to buy an empty flat from a developer? If we don't exchange
this week, I may well go insane.

Also, I'd like to bin/kill whoever's using my domain for sending spam
again. I've had just over 4000 bounce messages so far today.

Paul Evans

Nov 14, 2005, 3:51:09 PM11/14/05
Play:

Gunstar Future Heroes (GBA): It's really, really pissing me off! What is it with
that bastard Casino level that by the time you make it to the boss, you've got
sod all energy because you're constantly going around the board, getting
hammered because you've got crap eye - finger coordination skills that,
especially on Easy is no excuse for not hitting the right number on the dice!
Another couple of days on this, and I think I'll be looking at the shattered
remains of my DS lying on the floor...

Mercenaries (PS2): I used to like this game. Really.

Want:

Well, I'm not sure if I've made a big mistake, but I've ordered The Sims 2 for
DS from Game (mighty nice of 'em to give me a £5 discount n' all!), but the
reviews I've read on the interweb suggests it's shite. Ah well.

My new PC to finally get built over at Savastore.com. Three bloody weeks now.
It'll be obsolete by the time I get it!

The Sims 2 and World of Warcraft to play on that new PC, if it ever makes it.

Game in Manchester to actually have copies of new releases when they are...
Erm... released? Gunstar Future Heroes? Not a single copy in sight. The same
goes for The Sims 2 on PS2.

More DS releases.

Bin:

My job. I'm f*****g sick to f******g death of it. Bitched at. Moaned at. Yeah,
so bloody worth it getting up on Monday morning... NOT.

Paul.

The Rev

Nov 14, 2005, 3:52:29 PM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14 20:30:51 +0000, James Sutherland
<ja...@guybrush.demon.co.uk> said:

> To know if your Xbox Live Arcade games will transfer over to the Xbox
> 360. I bet they don't.

I read an interview about this, er, somewhere at the weekend and all
the content you buy and have bought is apparently locked to whichever
Xbox you first downloaded it on. So I guess if it breaks you're stuffed.

But what have you bought on Arcade, anyway?

--
Gaming diary -
http://www.mysecretshame.co.uk/games/index.html

James Sutherland

Nov 14, 2005, 4:24:02 PM11/14/05
The Rev <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On 2005-11-14 20:30:51 +0000, James Sutherland
> <ja...@guybrush.demon.co.uk> said:
>
>> To know if your Xbox Live Arcade games will transfer over to the Xbox
>> 360. I bet they don't.
>
> I read an interview about this, er, somewhere at the weekend and all
> the content you buy and have bought is apparently locked to whichever
> Xbox you first downloaded it on. So I guess if it breaks you're
> stuffed.

Right. That's a bit crap, then. You'd think they'd tie it to your Live
account (more like the way Steam works).

Is that going to be the same for the 360?

> But what have you bought on Arcade, anyway?

Just Mutant Storm, which is good but it's a pain having to use the boot
disk to run it (especially as it's on a cover disk so you have to
navigate a few menus to actually get to the game).

Building Arcade into the 360's front end is a good idea, but I think
they need to make the games cheaper in order for it to really take off.

Mal Franks

Nov 14, 2005, 4:31:52 PM11/14/05

The Rev

Nov 14, 2005, 4:38:09 PM11/14/05
On 2005-11-14 21:24:02 +0000, James Sutherland
<ja...@guybrush.demon.co.uk> said:

>> I read an interview about this, er, somewhere at the weekend and all
>> the content you buy and have bought is apparently locked to whichever
>> Xbox you first downloaded it on. So I guess if it breaks you're
>> stuffed.
>
> Right. That's a bit crap, then. You'd think they'd tie it to your Live
> account (more like the way Steam works).

Yes. But then you'd think they'd allow music streaming from any Windows
compatible share, not just from Windows XP machines.

::looks at iMac with all my music on it::

> Is that going to be the same for the 360?

It was a 360 interview I was reading. The question was about premium
downloadable content for Xbox games, but I'm pretty sure they mentioned
Live Arcade games, too.

>> But what have you bought on Arcade, anyway?
>
> Just Mutant Storm, which is good but it's a pain having to use the boot
> disk to run it (especially as it's on a cover disk so you have to
> navigate a few menus to actually get to the game).

That's one reason I never bothered with Arcade.

> Building Arcade into the 360's front end is a good idea, but I think
> they need to make the games cheaper in order for it to really take off.

Yep. I mean, my PC Mutant Storm cost me about three quid I think.

Dr. Boggis

Nov 14, 2005, 6:16:42 PM11/14/05
In article <3tre9cF...@individual.net>,
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 2005-11-14 12:20:52 +0000, DBSnappa
> <davidjREMOV...@hotmail.com> said:

> > Zomoniac wrote:
> >> Play:
> >>
> >> KAMEOOOOO (X360) - I've now finished the opening level and boss three
> >> times. Anyone who loves platformers, anyone who loves adventures, and
> >> just anyone who really loves good games: This is gonna pwn you.
> >>

> >> Call Of Duty 2 (X360) - Ace. I'm crap though.
> >>

> >> Peter Jackson's King Kong (X360) - As above.
> >

> > How on earth did you wangle such extended play time? Was it a lock in
> > at Game or soemthing?
>
> It's a fairly quiet branch, so when I drop Mary off at 10am on a Sunday
> and pick her up again at 4, especially given that Game is pretty much
> the only shop in Bradford open on a Sunday, it's completely dead so I
> can play for ages.

Have you got some sort of harness set up so it doesn't break your neck
anymore? Or a sofa underneath it?
--
-Take out Ron to reply-
My games blog: http://bloggisgames.blogspot.com

Dr. Boggis

Nov 14, 2005, 6:21:55 PM11/14/05
In article <gsmgn1p9c1mas41u2...@4ax.com>,
deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:

> >Want:

> Where Do Babies Come From (DS)

Meh?

> Worms (DS)

Got a link? When's it out?

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 14, 2005, 7:00:00 PM11/14/05
In article <boggissimoron-1CA...@individual.net>,

Dr. Boggis <boggis...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>In article <gsmgn1p9c1mas41u2...@4ax.com>,
> deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> >Want:
>
>> Where Do Babies Come From (DS)
>
>Meh?

This is the sequel to Feel the Magic XX/XY, right? More of the funny,
tactile gaming that makes me believe in Sega as the last truly original
game developer. Fun stuff.

-KKC, bemoaning stupid American television format standards...

James Luff

Nov 14, 2005, 7:11:42 PM11/14/05
Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
>> Meh?
>
> This is the sequel to Feel the Magic XX/XY, right? More of the funny,
> tactile gaming that makes me believe in Sega as the last truly original
> game developer. Fun stuff.

I think it's a bit unfair to label Sega and the only developer of original
titles. Feel The Magic was just a twist on the mini-game genre that Nintendo
did with Warioware and has also been done by others before as well. How is
Feel The Magic much different from Warioware touched? What makes Sega titles
more original than Nintendo? I think most developers show signs of
originality in one form or another from time to time (yes even EA to a
certain degree) some more than others. Nintendo and Sega are probably two of
the more prominent, but to claim Sega as the last original game developer is
just wrong.

--
regards, James Luff
remove 'nospam' to e-mail

Russell Marks

Nov 14, 2005, 7:41:55 PM11/14/05
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Play:

GTA:VC - managed to get it to 100% complete, with quite a bit of
FAQ-following to go through stuff I'd missed including most of the R3
missions, RC missions, unique jumps/stunts, rampages, stadium events,
and oddly enough, store robberies. For some reason I'd only noticed
you could rob shops by accident, after I'd finished all the (proper)
missions - and even then I didn't rob any more until now. I must be an
unusually law-abiding GTA player. :-)

Speccy Tour games (Speccy) - I had a go at all of these. Bomb Jack,
Hypersports, Splat!, Splitting Images, and Weak Lemons I'd voted for
and knew I liked already (though I'm slowly beginning to hate the
latter). Worse Things Happen At Sea is a fairly good Game &
Watch-style game almost totally ruined by only being able to move
about 3 steps before having to go back to the "home" position to
recharge. Bounder is a spectacularly annoying ball-bouncing game which
is probably impossible unless you have the layout perfectly memorised.
Glug Glug is a so-so Jetpac clone, and The Pyramid is... basically
another Jetpac clone, except crappier, more annoying, and with a
pointless route-selecting gimmick. Finally, Pinball Wizard is just
laughable (or would be if I didn't have to play it).

Mad Maestro - quick go at the Concert mode. It really does kill your
hands (well, hand), doing all that variation in pressure.

> Want:

Jak & Daxter (PS2) to arrive, again. But "No longer registered" isn't
one of the better things to be seeing next to an ebay seller's ID a
week after you paid, so I may have lost a fiver on this one.

GTA:SA (PS2). Eventually. Maybe. I get the impression that it's more
difficult than GTA:VC and not really as good, so I'm not in any great
rush to get this.

> Bin:

The ambulance mission in GTA:VC, which took a good three hours or so
to finally manage. I really, really shouldn't have bothered, despite
it being required to get 100%.

-Rus.

Gunther Gloop

Nov 14, 2005, 7:51:34 PM11/14/05
Russell Marks wrote:
> GTA:SA (PS2). Eventually. Maybe. I get the impression that it's more
> difficult than GTA:VC and not really as good, so I'm not in any great
> rush to get this.

Gotta say it... In my book GTA:VC is so-so...
GTA:SA is an *excellent* game.

I've been playing SA for over a week now and I'm continually surprised at
the depth and variety throughout. And I haven't even reached the third city
yet. There's soo much to see and do and the street layouts and characters
(not to mention the radio stations) are so much better constructed.

-Kevin.

--
Reply to: ne...@SPAMBEGONEgunthergloop.com

James Luff

Nov 14, 2005, 7:57:48 PM11/14/05
Russell Marks wrote:
> GTA:SA (PS2). Eventually. Maybe. I get the impression that it's more
> difficult than GTA:VC and not really as good, so I'm not in any great
> rush to get this.

This game is a lot better than Vice City once it gets going. BUT, you have
to really persevere through the first section up until San Fierro opens up.
When you get to that point you'll be loving it, I made the mistake of giving
up on San Andreas too early into the mission structure at first but made
myself return to it. I wish I had given it more time in the beginning, but
at least I came to my senses in the end.

If you get GTA:SA, which you should if you enjoyed the others please don't
give up on it in the early stages.

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 14, 2005, 7:58:29 PM11/14/05
In article <nMadneEtF_cguuTe...@pipex.net>,

James Luff <james...@nospam.dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
>>> Meh?
>>
>> This is the sequel to Feel the Magic XX/XY, right? More of the funny,
>> tactile gaming that makes me believe in Sega as the last truly original
>> game developer. Fun stuff.
>
>I think it's a bit unfair to label Sega and the only developer of original
>titles. Feel The Magic was just a twist on the mini-game genre that Nintendo
>did with Warioware and has also been done by others before as well. How is
>Feel The Magic much different from Warioware touched? What makes Sega titles
>more original than Nintendo?

I'll concede that my statement was a bit of fanboy hyperbole. And even the
sex and courtship topic was repeated in at least two other Nintendo DS
titles. I guess what I'm most interested in is equal time for Sega, more
than anything else... Seaman brought us real time voice recognition on a
home console, and the title that got all the press was 'Hey you, Pikachu.'
Sega gets AT&T to advertise in Sonic Adventure downloads and gets Dole to
underwrite Super Monkey Ball with logo placement, and it's Sony that gets
four newspaper articles for online ads in Everquest two years later.
Phantasy Star Online connected Dreamcast players with no additional
hardware purchase (and in the United States it was free) and still Sega
doesn't get a tenth of the coverage that Final Fantasy XI did.

The only reason I'm not inconsolably bitter is that I understand this is
largely Sega's own fault. They couldn't market free sex, they only
occasionally made notice of their competition, and their business
decisions were made on the basis on fun more than on profitability. But
back to your original question, it's this devil-may-care focus on fun and
gaming that made them so original in my eyes. The Saturn is cool with one
processor, let's put in another and see what people do with it! (Answer:
not very damned much.) Hey, the Nomad is a portable Megadrive, and people
will love it (but not be willing to pay $200 for it.) Everybody needs a
modem or a network card on their game console (but it won't work in Europe
and it's two years too early in the States.)

Sorry, ranting just a bit. I feel obligated to say that this is just my
opinion, but it's something I stand by strongly. And as a result, I'm more
willing to take a chance on a game with Sega's logo on it than I am any
other developer's. Nobody else has yet to earn brand loyalty from me in
that way.

-KKC, making mischief with Mega-CD hardware. Woo!

deKay

Nov 15, 2005, 2:46:34 AM11/15/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov
2005 15:21:55 -0800, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk "Dr. Boggis"
<boggis...@yahoo.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>In article <gsmgn1p9c1mas41u2...@4ax.com>,
> deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> >Want:
>
>> Where Do Babies Come From (DS)
>
>Meh?

Sequel to Feel the Magic. Coming out here as "Rub Rabbits".

>> Worms (DS)
>
>Got a link? When's it out?

I did have a link, but the page is now down. Out "Q1 2006", apparently.

deKay

Nov 15, 2005, 2:47:24 AM11/15/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 15 Nov
2005 00:11:42 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk "James Luff"
<james...@nospam.dsl.pipex.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>I think it's a bit unfair to label Sega and the only developer of original
>titles. Feel The Magic was just a twist on the mini-game genre that Nintendo
>did with Warioware and has also been done by others before as well. How is
>Feel The Magic much different from Warioware touched?

Well, FTM was out well before Wario Ware Touched...

Toby Newman

Nov 15, 2005, 4:00:28 AM11/15/05
On 2005-11-14, Nathan <cowf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Monkey Island 1. Played it through in one night, when you know the score
> it's quite a short game. Still fun though, and I still love the line
> "How did you get in here without a head?" / "I have a head."

IIRC, That bit plays out differently if you sink the ship using the rock
the catapult.

Toby

Zomoniac

Nov 15, 2005, 4:23:05 AM11/15/05
On 2005-11-14 23:16:42 +0000, "Dr. Boggis" <boggis...@yahoo.com> said:

> In article <3tre9cF...@individual.net>,
> Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2005-11-14 12:20:52 +0000, DBSnappa
>> <davidjREMOV...@hotmail.com> said:

>>> How on earth did you wangle such extended play time? Was it a lock in
>>> at Game or soemthing?
>>
>> It's a fairly quiet branch, so when I drop Mary off at 10am on a Sunday
>> and pick her up again at 4, especially given that Game is pretty much
>> the only shop in Bradford open on a Sunday, it's completely dead so I
>> can play for ages.
>
> Have you got some sort of harness set up so it doesn't break your neck
> anymore? Or a sofa underneath it?

No. The controller is on one of those bends shaft things, so I pull it
really far up and have the pad at a weird angle now!

--
Zo

GamerTag: Zomoniac (Pro Evo 5, Halo 2, PGR2, MotoGP, DOAU, Outrun 2)
Last game completed: Plump Pop (Taito Legends): Xbox - 08/10/2005
Currently playing: Ico - PS2

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 15, 2005, 4:23:41 AM11/15/05

The idea is you don't run ou tof magical items :)

One thing I'm finding very irritating is the limited inventory, the
faffing about selecting items and characters before entering battle, the
fact that I can only take four items into batle anyway, the way I can't
combine two identical items to save and inventory slot.....

That's rather a lot of one things. I'm not sure why I'm still playing
it, to be honest :)

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins | ____ _ _ ____ _ _
http://www.nelefa.org | / ___|| |__ (_)_ __ ___ / ___| ___| |_| |

Zomoniac

Nov 15, 2005, 4:23:59 AM11/15/05
On 2005-11-14 18:31:12 +0000, deKay
<an...@deleteme.lofi-gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> said:

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 14 Nov
> 2005 16:39:45 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
> <the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>> And so do I, apparently :-)
>
> There were other things in that picture besides you, mang :)
>
> deKay

But you'd seen one of them before :)

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 15, 2005, 4:24:08 AM11/15/05
On 2005-11-14, rich a <use...@brushtastic.f2s.com> wrote:

> TEH KRATS DS!!! This will seriously be the bestest thing ever. I'm
> currently lubing my whole body in goose fat ready to play this
> masterpiece.

Mine is shipp0ring today!

Zomoniac

Nov 15, 2005, 4:25:02 AM11/15/05
On 2005-11-14 17:51:29 +0000, Nils Tanner <nta...@datacomm.ch> said:

> Why is a mushroom called mushroom? As usual, Mal Franks
> <spa...@btinternet.com> got it all completely wrong and wrote:
>
>>> The last game I regularly played on the DC was Rez, but I'm not really
>>> sure whether I'll get into it once again. *sigh* Would anyone be
>>> interested in Rez on the DC?
>> I would - how much? :)
>
> I have no idea what a fair price would be to be honest :-)
> Do you live in the UK? (Just asking so I could check p&p)

If you eBay it you're stupid not to list a BIN. I just sold my spare
mint copy on eBay and it went for £24. The auctioned ones tend to go
for about that but if you put a £35 BIN on it it will almost certainly
sell.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 15, 2005, 4:27:03 AM11/15/05
On 2005-11-14, Paul Evans <uknorthernerSPAMMEAND...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Bin:
>
> My job. I'm f*****g sick to f******g death of it. Bitched at. Moaned at. Yeah,
> so bloody worth it getting up on Monday morning... NOT.

Resign

deKay

Nov 15, 2005, 4:35:23 AM11/15/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 15 Nov

uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>> There were other things in that picture besides you, mang :)
>>

>But you'd seen one of them before :)

Game always makes me vomit :)

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk

|- "CLART - YOU KNOWS IT"

Zomoniac

Nov 15, 2005, 4:43:27 AM11/15/05
On 2005-11-15 09:35:23 +0000, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> said:

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 15 Nov
> 2005 09:23:59 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
> <the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>> There were other things in that picture besides you, mang :)
>>>
>> But you'd seen one of them before :)
>
> Game always makes me vomit :)

Fair enough then, that's understandable :)

Nathan

Nov 15, 2005, 5:27:07 AM11/15/05
Toby Newman has fallen from outer space. Launch them back to defend the
planet and maintain peace!!!

>> Monkey Island 1. Played it through in one night, when you know the
>> score it's quite a short game. Still fun though, and I still love
>> the line "How did you get in here without a head?" / "I have a head."
>
> IIRC, That bit plays out differently if you sink the ship using the
> rock the catapult.

Yeah I had always sunk the ship using the rock catapult thing. I'm
guessing it's just a little bit of dialogue and I think it's more funny if
you do sink the ship because of your crew being stuck with the cannibals,
and that herman had a ship he just wanted to be rescued.

--
Nathan.
Bow to the Cow!
Gaming Diary: http://blog.cowfields.com

Sprite

Nov 15, 2005, 6:31:57 AM11/15/05

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 15
> Nov
> 2005 09:23:59 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Zomoniac
> <the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>> There were other things in that picture besides you, mang :)
>>>
>>But you'd seen one of them before :)
>
> Game always makes me vomit :)

I wondered why there was often a funny smell in Game shops.

Does all:sports make you vomit too?
--
Sue

Sprite

Nov 15, 2005, 6:32:39 AM11/15/05

"neil h" <neil_h...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Bin:
>
> My nine year old son who crept up behind me when I was playing Call of
> Cthulhu and started whispering 'Cthulhu ... Cthulhu ...' in my ear and
> made me jump out of my skin.

Can someone please tell me how you're supposed to pronounce Cthulhu??

--
Sue

mysterious giant

Nov 15, 2005, 6:39:01 AM11/15/05

Sprite wrote:

"Cthulhu"

--
MG

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 15, 2005, 6:39:43 AM11/15/05
In article <3ttvanF...@individual.net>,

The common English pronounciation is three syllables each with a long 'U'
sound, something on the order of "Koo-Too-Loo." However, if you read
Lovecraft's unnecessarily self-indulgent writings on the subject, the word
is supposed to be representative of a single sound which cannot be
produced by any human organ. Imagine if a squid or some other cephalopod
were capable of speech, and think of an orfice which has a beak and more
than two lips expressing the word as a staccato, aspirant exclamation and
you'll get the general idea.

-KKC, who knows more about this than he has any right to. :)

Gunther Gloop

Nov 15, 2005, 6:47:10 AM11/15/05
Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
> On 2005-11-14, rich a <use...@brushtastic.f2s.com> wrote:
>>
>> TEH KRATS DS!!! This will seriously be the bestest thing ever. I'm
>> currently lubing my whole body in goose fat ready to play this
>> masterpiece.
>
> Mine is shipp0ring today!

How do you know? When did you order it? Was it from videogamesplus?

I ordered yesterday and got a verification email. This morning I had an oder
update... "Preorder Processing".
I wouldn't like to pester them by asking, but if you have I'll take it as a
likely outcome... ?

-Kevin

--
Reply to: ne...@SPAMBEGONEgunthergloop.com

deKay

Nov 15, 2005, 6:45:27 AM11/15/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 15 Nov
2005 11:31:57 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk "Sprite" <sue.k...@ntlworld.com>

fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>I wondered why there was often a funny smell in Game shops.

>Does all:sports make you vomit too?

I don't think I have ever been in all:sports. It screams "chav" at me when I
walk past.

Chris F

Nov 15, 2005, 6:57:39 AM11/15/05
k-thoo-loo i think

James Luff

Nov 15, 2005, 7:35:39 AM11/15/05
Gunther Gloop wrote:
>> Mine is shipp0ring today!
>
> How do you know? When did you order it? Was it from videogamesplus?
>
> I ordered yesterday and got a verification email. This morning I had an
> oder
> update... "Preorder Processing".
> I wouldn't like to pester them by asking, but if you have I'll take it as
> likely outcome... ?

After the pre-order processing e-mail you should receive a second "order
update" e-mail stating your pre-order has been shipped.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 15, 2005, 8:06:16 AM11/15/05
On 2005-11-15, Gunther Gloop <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
>> On 2005-11-14, rich a <use...@brushtastic.f2s.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> TEH KRATS DS!!! This will seriously be the bestest thing ever. I'm
>>> currently lubing my whole body in goose fat ready to play this
>>> masterpiece.
>>
>> Mine is shipp0ring today!
>>

> How do you know? When did you order it? Was it from videogamesplus?

I ordered it when I ordered my DS - late 2004. I had an email yesterday
saying my card had expired in the meantime, so I organised new payment
details. The bloke replied saying they're shipping today.

> I ordered yesterday and got a verification email. This morning I had an oder
> update... "Preorder Processing".
> I wouldn't like to pester them by asking, but if you have I'll take it as a
> likely outcome... ?

They gave me the impression that most of them shipped yesterday. Mine
would have if they payment details had worked :-/

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 15, 2005, 8:06:50 AM11/15/05

Kuthooloo

Gunther Gloop

Nov 15, 2005, 8:07:24 AM11/15/05
James Luff wrote:
> Gunther Gloop wrote:
>>> Mine is shipp0ring today!
>>
>> How do you know? When did you order it? Was it from videogamesplus?
>>
>> I ordered yesterday and got a verification email. This morning I had
>> an oder
>> update... "Preorder Processing".
>> I wouldn't like to pester them by asking, but if you have I'll take
>> it as a
>> likely outcome... ?
>
> After the pre-order processing e-mail you should receive a second
> "order update" e-mail stating your pre-order has been shipped.

Yeah, but I was wondering if Sir Chews ordered recently and was told it'd
ship _today_ or maybe there's a possibility I'll need to wait for the next
stock-batch before mine'll ship.
I'm just being paranoidally anxious I know, making up words as I go, but I
need TEH KRATS YESTERDAY!!

(and yes we're all aware that sounds like a venereal disease).

Nils Tanner

Nov 15, 2005, 9:30:47 AM11/15/05
Why is a mushroom called mushroom? As usual, Mal Franks

>> >I would - how much? :)
>>
>> I have no idea what a fair price would be to be honest :-)
>> Do you live in the UK? (Just asking so I could check p&p)
>>

>Yep

Could you send me an email to ntanner AT yahoo DOT com so we could
sort out eventual details?

Cheers

Russell Marks

Nov 15, 2005, 9:38:08 AM11/15/05
"Gunther Gloop" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Russell Marks wrote:
> > GTA:SA (PS2). Eventually. Maybe. I get the impression that it's more
> > difficult than GTA:VC and not really as good, so I'm not in any great
> > rush to get this.
> >

> Gotta say it... In my book GTA:VC is so-so...
> GTA:SA is an *excellent* game.
>
> I've been playing SA for over a week now and I'm continually surprised at
> the depth and variety throughout. And I haven't even reached the third city
> yet. There's soo much to see and do and the street layouts and characters
> (not to mention the radio stations) are so much better constructed.

You've lost me a bit there, how are the street layouts better than VC?
Less complicated, more hills, ...?

And I thought the radio stations were the one thing everyone thought
was a bit dodgy in SA. :-)

-Rus.

Russell Marks

Nov 15, 2005, 9:38:09 AM11/15/05
"James Luff" <james...@nospam.dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Russell Marks wrote:
> > GTA:SA (PS2). Eventually. Maybe. I get the impression that it's more
> > difficult than GTA:VC and not really as good, so I'm not in any great
> > rush to get this.
>

> This game is a lot better than Vice City once it gets going. BUT, you have
> to really persevere through the first section up until San Fierro opens up.

Hmm... how long would you say that's likely to take?

Also, I've seen some pretty severe criticism of the "countryside" bits
taking an annoyingly long time to drive across and being populated by
horribly slow vehicles, is that fair?

> When you get to that point you'll be loving it, I made the mistake of giving
> up on San Andreas too early into the mission structure at first but made
> myself return to it. I wish I had given it more time in the beginning, but
> at least I came to my senses in the end.

The main problem I have is that I didn't really like GTA3 much (too
many irritations, and I wasn't good enough at the missions), but I did
really like GTA:VC which I think was largely down to the
style/setting, the reduced difficulty, and having a decent full map on
the pause screen. So it's hard to know what to make of GTA:SA which
sounds more GTA3-ish in terms of the general style and difficulty
(though hopefully it still has the map :-)).

-Rus.

Mike Jenkins

Nov 15, 2005, 9:42:43 AM11/15/05
On 2005-11-15, Russell Marks <russell.marks@spam^H^H^H^Hntlworld.com> wrote:
> "James Luff" <james...@nospam.dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>> Russell Marks wrote:
>> > GTA:SA (PS2). Eventually. Maybe. I get the impression that it's more
>> > difficult than GTA:VC and not really as good, so I'm not in any great
>> > rush to get this.
>>
>> This game is a lot better than Vice City once it gets going. BUT, you have
>> to really persevere through the first section up until San Fierro opens up.
>
> Hmm... how long would you say that's likely to take?
>
> Also, I've seen some pretty severe criticism of the "countryside" bits
> taking an annoyingly long time to drive across and being populated by
> horribly slow vehicles, is that fair?

Think of how interesting it is to watch paint drying on a completely
featureless wall, while being read the phone book by Steve Davis in
Belgium. The contryside driving bits (which are extremely lengthy and
mandatory) are approximately 1/8 as interesting as that.

>> When you get to that point you'll be loving it, I made the mistake of giving
>> up on San Andreas too early into the mission structure at first but made
>> myself return to it. I wish I had given it more time in the beginning, but
>> at least I came to my senses in the end.
>
> The main problem I have is that I didn't really like GTA3 much (too
> many irritations, and I wasn't good enough at the missions), but I did
> really like GTA:VC which I think was largely down to the
> style/setting, the reduced difficulty, and having a decent full map on
> the pause screen. So it's hard to know what to make of GTA:SA which
> sounds more GTA3-ish in terms of the general style and difficulty
> (though hopefully it still has the map :-)).

GTA SA is pointlessly huge, and its size is achieved by putting vast
swathes of aforementioned featureless countryside between the important
bits. The controls are awful (still), the graphics are terrible, and the
storyline is cringeworthy in the extreme. If you didn't like GTA3, you
almost certainly won't like GTA SA.

--
Mike Jenkins
Dreamcast/Gamecube FAQs - http://www.kwik-e-mart.org
Mike's Auctions: http://tinyurl.com/2374h

Gunther Gloop

Nov 15, 2005, 9:51:31 AM11/15/05
Russell Marks wrote:
> "Gunther Gloop" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Russell Marks wrote:
>>> GTA:SA (PS2). Eventually. Maybe. I get the impression that it's more
>>> difficult than GTA:VC and not really as good, so I'm not in any
>>> great rush to get this.
>>>

>> Gotta say it... In my book GTA:VC is so-so...
>> GTA:SA is an *excellent* game.
>>
>> I've been playing SA for over a week now and I'm continually
>> surprised at the depth and variety throughout. And I haven't even
>> reached the third city yet. There's soo much to see and do and the
>> street layouts and characters (not to mention the radio stations)
>> are so much better constructed.
>
> You've lost me a bit there, how are the street layouts better than VC?
> Less complicated, more hills, ...?

Street layouts on VC were done with PS2 limitations in mind. Streets were
more confined and claustraphobic. If you're playing on PS2, then SA might be
similar, but on a healthy pc at least they're open and airy and feel much
more like a real city.
I see in your other thread that you didn't like the graphics so much on
GTA3.
SA's graphics are more like that style, I'm afraid, but I honestly can't see
how you would prefer the VC style -it was a deliberate b0rk to cater for the
lowest common (hardware) denominator.

> And I thought the radio stations were the one thing everyone thought
> was a bit dodgy in SA. :-)

Dunno. I don't like most of the rap type stuff, but there is some very nice
music of every kind on there.

I'd also be happier if there was less gratuitous swearing. That to me is the
most pointless thing in the game. ...although I can't think of anything else
offhand that's 'pointless' in there.

Russell Marks

Nov 15, 2005, 10:04:10 AM11/15/05
"Gunther Gloop" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Street layouts on VC were done with PS2 limitations in mind. Streets were
> more confined and claustraphobic. If you're playing on PS2, then SA might be
> similar, but on a healthy pc at least they're open and airy and feel much
> more like a real city.

Ok, I'm not sure that's necessarily better but I see what you mean.

> I see in your other thread that you didn't like the graphics so much on
> GTA3.
> SA's graphics are more like that style, I'm afraid, but I honestly can't see

Not the graphics, the style of the game generally. You know, the 80s
thing, fast cars and bikes all over the place, that sort of stuff.

> > And I thought the radio stations were the one thing everyone thought
> > was a bit dodgy in SA. :-)
> >

> Dunno. I don't like most of the rap type stuff, but there is some very nice
> music of every kind on there.

Ah. I thought it was just rock and rap and the talk-radio one.

-Rus.

Gunther Gloop

Nov 15, 2005, 10:11:20 AM11/15/05
Mike Jenkins wrote:
> On 2005-11-15, Russell Marks <russell.marks@spam^H^H^H^Hntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> This game is a lot better than Vice City once it gets going. BUT,
>>> you have to really persevere through the first section up until San
>>> Fierro opens up.
>>
>> Hmm... how long would you say that's likely to take?
>>
>> Also, I've seen some pretty severe criticism of the "countryside"
>> bits taking an annoyingly long time to drive across and being
>> populated by horribly slow vehicles, is that fair?
>
> Think of how interesting it is to watch paint drying on a completely
> featureless wall, while being read the phone book by Steve Davis in
> Belgium. The contryside driving bits (which are extremely lengthy and
> mandatory) are approximately 1/8 as interesting as that.

Wow. You got it bad, man.
I can't think why anyone wouldn't want to drive those roads just for the fun
of it, but if you don't, you can always take a plane to travel between
cities -I mean as a passenger on a jumbo.
You can skip the fly-by interlude -or you can even choose to jump out
mid-travel... something I keep meaning to check out... must do that today!

The countryside to me is as interesting as the cities themselve -full of
nooks and things to see and do. There's a great bike-trail up a mountain for
instance that is fun navigating in itself.

>>> When you get to that point you'll be loving it, I made the mistake
>>> of giving up on San Andreas too early into the mission structure at
>>> first but made myself return to it. I wish I had given it more time
>>> in the beginning, but at least I came to my senses in the end.
>>
>> The main problem I have is that I didn't really like GTA3 much (too
>> many irritations, and I wasn't good enough at the missions), but I
>> did really like GTA:VC which I think was largely down to the
>> style/setting, the reduced difficulty, and having a decent full map
>> on the pause screen. So it's hard to know what to make of GTA:SA
>> which sounds more GTA3-ish in terms of the general style and
>> difficulty (though hopefully it still has the map :-)).
>
> GTA SA is pointlessly huge, and its size is achieved by putting vast
> swathes of aforementioned featureless countryside between the
> important bits. The controls are awful (still), the graphics are
> terrible, and the storyline is cringeworthy in the extreme. If you
> didn't like GTA3, you almost certainly won't like GTA SA.

There are tons of 'missions' to chose from at any one time. So far I can
only think of one where I _had_ to travel from one city to another. If you
think of it in terms of "pesky travelling.. must... get... mission... done"
then I can _begin_ to see where you're coming from, but slow vehicles are
easily overtaken/avoided
...and it's not like you have to stick to the roads. Rob a bike and try
going "direct" to the destination -over fields and little bridges, jumping
across chasms and (sometimes) in the water. So much fun to be had there that
the "destination" is sometimes a hindrance -for example when you find
something interesting you want to check out, but then recall there is that
pesky mission that needs doing first. (...then later forget what it was you
wanted to see).

Mission storylines/objectives are nicely varied too and having to restart a
mission has been *much* less painful for me in SA than it was in VC.
Difficulty level is excellent... almost all missions completed in 2 - 3
tries or less (most first time). None of the longer ones so far took too
many retries.

Controls on pc (as usual) are pathetic without a controller. That is a must.
But once you have one... it's bootiful! :)

Most people on here (and elsewhere that I saw) complain about the earlier
parts and praise it once the 2nd city opens. I have to admit -I loved this
from the start and still do now. It is defintiely the most enjoyable game
for me in a loooong time.
Other recent-ish favourites of mine this year (to maybe give a feel where
I'm coming from) were Trackmania Sunrise and Half-Life2 (although Steam
means I won't be back to that).
Other than those, I mostly go for Nintendo type cutesy stuff.

In all, VC for me has been the only "so-so, meh" GTA game (going back to the
first one), so if you like that and none of the others then maybe you are
right to avoid it.

Russell Marks

Nov 15, 2005, 10:11:30 AM11/15/05
Mike Jenkins <mike.jenki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2005-11-15, Russell Marks <russell.marks@spam^H^H^H^Hntlworld.com> wrote:

[...]

> > Also, I've seen some pretty severe criticism of the "countryside" bits
> > taking an annoyingly long time to drive across and being populated by
> > horribly slow vehicles, is that fair?
>
> Think of how interesting it is to watch paint drying on a completely
> featureless wall, while being read the phone book by Steve Davis in
> Belgium. The contryside driving bits (which are extremely lengthy and
> mandatory) are approximately 1/8 as interesting as that.

Oh dear. About as fun as F355 then? :-)

> GTA SA is pointlessly huge, and its size is achieved by putting vast
> swathes of aforementioned featureless countryside between the important
> bits. The controls are awful (still), the graphics are terrible, and the
> storyline is cringeworthy in the extreme. If you didn't like GTA3, you
> almost certainly won't like GTA SA.

Well, it's inevitable that I'll try it at some point anyway, but
thanks for the tip...

-Rus.

The Rev

Nov 15, 2005, 10:13:47 AM11/15/05
Russell Marks wrote:
> "James Luff" <james...@nospam.dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>Russell Marks wrote:
>>
>>This game is a lot better than Vice City once it gets going. BUT, you have
>>to really persevere through the first section up until San Fierro opens up.
>
> Hmm... how long would you say that's likely to take?

Took me about twenty hours or so, I think.

I thought it was a lot better than Vice City right from the beginning,
though. To my mind, when it comes to the PS2 GTAs, Vice City is
definitely the runt of the litter.

Hate the city layout and hate the eighties and everything about them.

Much prefer the map in SA and have very fond memories of listening to
Snoop and Dr Dre and the like in the early nineties.

> Also, I've seen some pretty severe criticism of the "countryside" bits
> taking an annoyingly long time to drive across and being populated by
> horribly slow vehicles, is that fair?

For some, maybe, but I like the countryside trips. Use the freeways,
don't try taking the shortest route, stick on the country radio station
and sit back. Great stuff.

I just love the driving model in GTA games.

--
Xbox Live Gamertag: Prinny
(You know, like the exploding penguin doods. No?)

It is loading more messages.