future of Nintendo graphics in the hands of AMD-ATI ?

AirRaid

Jul 24, 2006, 3:11:59 AM7/24/06

http://beyond3d.com/#news32202

quote:
"After months of increasingly specific rumors about the future of ATI
as an independent company, it appears all but certain that AMD and ATI
will announce tomorrow that AMD has made a friendly offer to acquire
the graphics company."

while this may seem off-topic to Nintendo, it is not.

AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) maker of CPUs, is buying ATI.

ATI provides the graphics for Gamecube (although ArtX designed Flipper
before ATI bought ArtX), and, from the ground up, completely designed
Hollywood, the graphics chipset for the upcoming Revolution / Wii.
perhaps also, future Nintendo handhelds; GameBoy Next,
maybe the next-gen DS, and almost certainly the HDTV console that
Nintendo (Iwata) already said they would have in the future, after Wii.

Iwata: "In the future Nintendo will release a console that does take
advantage of HD."
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/03/gdc_an_intervie.html

the AMD-ATI deal shakes up the entire semiconductor industry. How
directly it effects Nintendo, is unknown. will future Nintendo systems
be powered by AMD CPUs, or will Nintendo be able to continue to use IBM
PowerPC CPUs and also keep ATI on the graphics side? hopefully this
will not effect backwards compatibility between the future Nintendo
HDTV system, Wii and Gamecube.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Jul 24, 2006, 6:02:32 AM7/24/06
On 2006-07-24, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled AirRaid to exclaim:

> AMD might be interested in buying ATI
>
> This might mean something for Nintendo or nothing at all

Wow! Excellent factual reporting!

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins <chewbury...@nelefa.org>
"Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006

http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

armstro...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2006, 7:24:51 AM7/24/06
That does seem kinda interesting. I've always liked AMD CPU's and ATI
GPU's. As long as AMD lets ATI do its own thing still, I don't really
see any real problems... But then again, who knows!

El Guapo

Jul 24, 2006, 9:29:46 AM7/24/06
"AirRaid" <AirRa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> http://beyond3d.com/#news32202
>
>snip

> the AMD-ATI deal shakes up the entire semiconductor industry. How
> directly it effects Nintendo, is unknown. will future Nintendo systems
> be powered by AMD CPUs, or will Nintendo be able to continue to use IBM
> PowerPC CPUs and also keep ATI on the graphics side? hopefully this
> will not effect backwards compatibility between the future Nintendo
> HDTV system, Wii and Gamecube.

My advice is: don't worry about it. It won't affect Nintendo much, if at
all, assuming the merger even happens.

James Luff

Jul 24, 2006, 6:13:13 PM7/24/06
Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
> On 2006-07-24, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled AirRaid to exclaim:
>> AMD might be interested in buying ATI
>>
>> This might mean something for Nintendo or nothing at all
>
> Wow! Excellent factual reporting!

Even better is this:

> AMD might be interested in buying ATI
>

> AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) maker of CPUs, is buying ATI.

So which is it? They might be, or they are? You can't have it both ways!

--
regards, James Luff Gamertag: Lufferov
remove 'nospam' to e-mail

Les B. Labbauf

Jul 25, 2006, 8:59:03 PM7/25/06

Not sure what the difference of the GPU's make on a game console, but for
PC's AMD and NVIDIA are the choice for me. Only because NVIDIA has a
better driver for linux, my main choice for OS at home. I rarely use
Windows except for some games I can't run under linux.