Vintage UK RPG Fanzines: Update April 10th 2004

Brian Christopher Misiaszek

Apr 9, 2004, 5:45:09 PM4/9/04
Vintage UK RPG Fanzines: Update April 10th 2004

Hi there!

This ongoing personal project, an attempt to alphabetically list all
vintage UK RPG fanzines, has increased to *226* different titles by my
latest count (an increase of 23 titles from last year's update).

Private E-mails to me, searching out references in back issues of
prozines "White Dwarf" and "Imagine", listings in the
www.diplomacy-archive.com, and references made in other fanzines I've
obtained led to the current updated listing, and I've made many
corrections and included more information where available on
individual titles.

I would like to thank everyone for their help so far, and would
appreciate any further corrections, additions, clarifications, helpful
advice, etc. that you can provide for the next update, especially for
those titles for which nothing is known other than their name.

As mentioned previously, I would especially like to invite those
former vintage fanzine editors to provide any descriptions or
corrected descriptions of your zine(s) so I can more accurately
catalog them in further updates.

Finally, I'm always on the lookout for example fanzines (original or
photocopies) for personal review.

If you can help out, please drop me a line!

::Brian::

**********Vintage UK RPG Fanzines*********
*******Updated as of April 10th, 2004*****

The Acolyte [ed. Pete Tamlyn; initially Southhampton University
club-zine under the name The Apocalypse for the first 5 issues before
the name change; FRP and diplomacy zine; 60 issues (Jan 1980 – Aug
1985).
Adventurer's Anonymous [ed. Richard Stitson]
Aerial Servant
Alarums & Excursions [A&E] [ed. Lee Gold, aka "A&E", monthly US
APA-zine with many UK and other international contributors, started in
1975, and still active as of 2004 having missed only *one* month
during this extremely lengthy run]
Alice [ed. Richard Campbell; re-launch of This Way Up]
Alien Star [ed. D.W. Hockham; Traveller zine; 8 issues beginning 1981]
Amulet [ed. Richard Henderson with Alex Bardy]
The Arbalest [ed. Paul Slusarewicz; Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu, Dr.
Who RPG, and other RPGs coveredd; not to be confused with the
anarchist zine of the same name]
Aslan [ed. Andrew Rilstone & Martin Wykes,13 issues, with many
sub-zines; RPG theory philosophy, speculation & commentary; highly
regarded]
Atu XVIII [ed. Trevor Mendham; University of Warwick clubzine; FRP,
discussion and dip-zine]

Backstabbers United Monthly [BUM] [ed. Malcolm Cornelius; started off
as an En Garde and Diplomacy gamezine, with other RPGs added; 1988-]
Balrog Banter [ed. Paul Evens; hardware RPG zine with a supplement
each issue to accompany the scenario]
The Bat
Beaumains [ed. Gareth Jones; devoted to Pendragon RPG and things
Arthurian]
The Beholder [ed. Nicholas Scales; A4 format, very slick, 1979-?]
Black Knight [ed. Angela Times]
Black Rider
Blood Guts & Beer [Runequest]
Blue Shaboo [ed. Brian Duguid; "rolegame" zine]
Bohemian Rhapsody [ed. Malcolm Smith; RPG and dipzine]
Bone of Contention [ed. Steven Rawlinson & Fergus Selby]
A Bolt from the Blue [ed. Ken Bain]
The Booklet of Many Things [ed. Mark Beresford]
Boris [ed. Dave Murray]
Borkelby's Folly [ed. Ray Gillham; Jorune RPG zine]
Brick in the Face [ed. Fergus Selby]
The Bubonic Plagiarist

Carnel [ed. Robert Rees, active since 1994, one of very few active
today]
Cassandra [ed. Anthony Bourke & Damien Maddalena; RPG chat zine with
diplomacy waiting lists; 8 issues, Sept 1985 - Aug 1986]
Centurian ["sequel" to Blue Shaboo #2]
Cerebreton [ed. Alex Bardy, mostly SF RPGs]
Chimaera [ed. Clive Booth; highly respected diplomacy zine that also
ran postal D&D; 103 issues, May 1975 to July 1983]
Citizens of Grenada [ed. Andrew Meek]
Codpiece [ed. Ralph Horsley, 10+ issues, originally Convert or Die]
Conflict of Chaos
Controversial Repertoires of an Alcoholic Prat [ed. Bob Topley;
1985-?]
Crimson Steel [ed. Andy Warner, one issue]
Cruel Worlds [ed. M. Donkersley; 1985-?]
Cult of Anubis [ed. N.J. Booth]
Cut and Thrust [ed. Derek Wilson]

Dagon [ed. Carl T. Ford; Call of Cthulhu; 27 issues, 19??-1990,
special revival issue pending]
Danse Macabre [ed. Rik Rowe, Horror RPGs]
Dark Elf
Daughters of Dool [ed. Bob Jackson; RPG and perzine]
Dead Elf [ed. Andrew Fisher, hardware and ideas for an Asterix RPG;
also included "Isozine", a perzine]
Death's Dance Taken Slowly [ed. Brian Dolton,?13 issues, RPG theory]
Delusions of Grandeur [ed. Nathan Cubitt, with Mike Blake & Paul
Duncanson; 1988-1995, 4 issues plus a one shot, compilation "Best Of"
published in 2002 and edited Robert Rees of "Carnal"]
Demon Issue
Demon's Blood
Demons Drawl [ed. Jeremy Nuttall & others including Dave Robinson and
Nick Edwards; RPG & PBM, covered material about their campaign world
Galadra, later split away and renamed Telegraph Road]
Descending Darkness [ed.?; 3 issues, Call of Cthulhu]
Destiny [ed. E. Rackstraw; SF RPGs]
Dig My Dogma [ed. Mark Wisher]
Dispatch It [ed.?; Windsor & Maidenhead RPG Groups clubzine]
DOOL [ed. Bob Jackson; formerly Daughters of DOOL]
Doombook of Chaos
Doomed Dwarves Journal [ed. Gavin White]
Dragonfire
Dragonlords [eds. Marc Gascoigne, Mike Lewis & Ian Marsh]
Dragonlore [Alexander Hildyard, at least 6 issues]
Dragon's Breath [ed. Warren Barnes]
Dross
Drune Kroll [eds. Justin Horrell and Iain Bowen, RPG hardware, 3
issues]
drunk & disorderly [ed. Pete Lindsay; RPG APA-zine; 33 issues,
1979-88]
The Dungeoneer [ed. Charles Anshell, early US prozine with wide UK
distribution]
Durin's Bane [ed.?, 1986-?]

Eh? [ed. Alex Bardy]
Eidolon [ed. Mark Jones; Cthulhu & PBM Sopwith, etc.; successor to
Sacrificing the Goat]
Exeunt [ed. Ben Goodale]
Explorer [ed. Brian Cowan, 1985-?]
Explosive Rune
Eye of All Seeing Wonder [ed. Dave Morris; Tekumel & Empire of the
Petal Throne]

Fantasia [ed. Gerard Birkhill; RPG reviews]
Fantasy Tomb [ed. Andrew Thompson; ?1 issue]
Fat Knite [ed. Steve Blincoe]
The Fiery Cross [ed. Tom Stacey; RPGs & films]
Fire and Water [ed. Andrew Hill]
First Strike [ed. M. Clarke]
FIST [ed.?; short for *F*anzine L*ist*]
Flames of Albion
Floating World [ed.?; FGU RPGs]
Fusions [ed. Warwick University SF&F Society, thoughtful RPG
discussion]

Glamdring
Glarg [ed. Steven Hampson]
Grav Gauss and Pods Rifles [RPG clubzine of York U. SF&F club; renamed
"Grave Podes and Grouse Trifles" after issue 3]
Greatest Hits [ed. Pete Birks; 122+ issues; chat, review, games]
Grimlord
Grim Reaper [ed. Geraint Davies; Tunnels & Trolls]
Green Goblin [ed. John Breakwell]
Ground Zero
The Guilder

Hacking Times [ed. Dylan Harris]
Harvest Time [ed. Martin Veart]
Hellfire [ed. A.S. Lilly]
Hits To Kill [ed. Domenic de Bechi]
Hocus Pocus [ed. by Paul "Pum" Holman, three issues, starting #0]
Holy Avenger [ed.?, 1986-?]
Hopscotch [ed. Alan Parr]
Horse Manure [ed. S. Cooper, 1986-?]
Hounds of Avalar
Hyperactive [ed. Nick Edwards; APA Zine aimed at helping "Newcomers"
to zine editing]

I Don't Wanna go Back in the Box [ed. John J. Smith]
Illusionist's Vision
Imazine [ed. Paul Mason, ?-2003, and still published/available online;
game theory, reviews and thoughtful articles; archived at British
Library!]
Immoral Minority [ed. P. Wilkinson]
The Impaler [ed. Mark Stockton; "systemless fanzine"]
Inflammatory Material [ed. ?, aka Flames]
Instant Karma [ed. James Wallis]
Intellect Devourer [ed. Dave Hughes]
Into the Darkness [ed. Nick Price]
Iron Orchid [ed. Nick Edwards, 8+ issues, RPG & PBMs]
Iskra [ed. Tom Conway, music and RPG zine]
IT
It's Clobbering Time [eds. Andrew de Salis, Steve Weekes; superhero
RPGs]
Ivory Tower [Geoff Dean, Yasser & Akram el Gabry, ? 8 issues, Golden
Heroes, Runequest, and Traveller hardware, modules and articles; issue
6 team up with "Sound and Fury" #5]
Ivory, Peacocks and Apes [eds. Pete Lindsay and Gavin Greig started
mid 1990s, 2 issues, on hiatus]

Journal of the Senseless Carnage Society [ed. Simon Hartley; 1983-?,
17+ issues]

Lankhmar Star Daily [LSD] [ed. Rob Nott; 28+ issues]
Lion & Lamb Chronicles [ed.?; Norwegian APA-zine with English
contributors]
Living the Orclife [ed. C.E. Nurse; less of a zine than a serialized
RPG]
Lokasenna [ed. Brian Dolton; long running zine, mostly dipzine; 22+
issues; 1982-?]

Mad Policy [ed. Richard Walkertin]
Making Moves [ed. ?; Warhammer FRP, Call of Cthulhu and other RPGs]
Manic Depressive [ed. Nick Edwards]
The Martian Chronicles [ed. M. Wall]
Miser's Hoard [ed. John McKeown; 6+ issues]
Monstrous Perversion
Moronica Ripsnore [ed.?, Scottish]
My Father Killed a Man [ed. Jez Keen; one off zine, contains the
Dreamscape-like RPG "Carnations and Razorblades"]
Mystic Crystal

Nemesis [ed. Tim Hyde]
New Beholder
New Fusions [University of Warwick SF & Fantasy Society clubzine]
News From Bree [Ed Hartley Patterson, 20+ issues, started as a Tolkien
fanzine in pre-D&D days]
Next Stop Jupiter [ed. Jez Keen; gaming and perzine]
Nightflyer [ed.?; Oxford University RPG Society clubzine]
NMR! [ed. Ken Bain and Brian Creese's; primarily a dipzine, but
articles about magic in D&D, postal D&D, etc.; very long running
1979-1992 and over 137 issues before being turned over into pure
dipzine Spring Offensive]
Norst Claw
Now Eat the Rabbit [NERTZ] [ed. William Whyte; mostly personal & PBM
Irish zine with some RPG famous for it's unusual formats (infamous
"Moebius strip" issue, and another one wrapped about a plastic spoon);
at least 76 issues, last issue ~1993]

Obscurity Inc [ed. Tony Keen to issue 6, then Alexei Macdonald]
Obsidian Rex Quarterly [ed. P. Adams]
Ode [ed. John Marsden; dipzine & gaming perzine]
Oracle of Almost All Knowledge
Orc's Revenge [alternatively ed. Gavin Cameron and/or M. Hanson]
Orc Torc
Out of the Mist [ed. Jason Kingsly; merger of Shadowfire/Mystic
Crystal]
Owl & Weasel [eds. Ian Livingstone & Steve Jackson; February
1975-1977, 25 issues, forerunner of "White Dwarf"; newsletter
published by Games Workshop for their mail order business, with game
reviews and notes]

Palantir
Pandemonium [ed. M. de Monti; horror, comics, roleplaying]
Pavic Tales [ed.?; Runequest 3rd edition fanzine]
Perchance [ed. Jim Johnston]
Polaris [ed. Simon Prest; 1 issue, 1987, Call of Cthulhu]
Prisoner's Of War [eds. Wallace Nicoll & Doug Rowling]
Protoplasm
Punt & Pass
Psychobabble [Irish]

Quasits & Quasars [ed. David Hulks]

Rage in Eden [ed. Richard Mumford]
Rapscallion
RCM [ed. Simon Ford, 1986-?]
Read Pheasant Throughout [ed. Nick Eden; Runequest, roleplaying and
comics]
Red Fox
Red Giant [eds. Thomas Haine & Toby Branfoot; mimeographed, RPG
modules and articles]
Red Shift [ed. Jez Keen, more of a perzine with creative writing and
RPG ideas, one issue]
Roleplaying [? ed. Joe Deckchair]
Die Rubezahl [ed. Pete Blanchard, sequel to Monstrous Perversion)
Runeriter [ed. Neil Smith; Runequest RPG]
Runestone [ed. Bill Lucas and Nick Edwards]

Sacrificing the Goat [ed. Mark Jones; succeeded by "Eidolon"]
Sarceen's Knowledge [ed.? 1 issue, Sky Realms of Jorune]
Sauce of the Nile [ed. Malcolm Smith; rebirth of Bohemian Rhapsody,
published in Antwerp Belgium]
SCAN
School for Scandal [ed. Trevor Mendham; RPG hobby-news zine]
Secrets of the Koan
Seventh Sin of the Salamander [ed. Jonathan Laidlow]
SEWARS [ed. Chris Baylis]
Shadowfire
Skullcrusher [ed. Richard Langrish and others; RPG hardware and other
crunchy bits]
Snot Rag [ed.?, 1987-?]
Sound & Fury [ed. James Wallis, also a "Sound & Fury" #5/"Ivory
Tower"#6 team up issue]
Space Operations [ed. Brian Scott, Space Opera & other FGU games]
Spawn of Chaos
Spectral Vision [ed. Mark McLean]
Spit 4 [ed. D. Evens]
Spitting From the Battlements
Starquester [ed. Mark Oswin]
Stielkrieg
Storm Lord
Storm Ruler [Storm Lord v.2]
Superhero UK [originally ed. Simon Burley, and later Jonathan Clark;
RPG articles and modules which covered mostly Golden Heroes (created
by Burley) and Champions]
Swansea With Me [v1, ed. Matt Williams, sequel to "Tales from
Tanelorn", not to be confused with...Swansea With Me [v2, ed. Alex
Zbyslaw, chat zine, published at the same time as the above]
Swordplay

Take That You Fiend [ed. J. Harrington, Kevin Warne; Tunnels & Trolls]
Tales After Dark
Tales from Tanelorn [ed. Matt Williams]
Tales of the Reaching Moon [ed. David Hall; emphasis on Glorantha
rather than being a Runequest zine, 20 issues; 19??-2003]
Telegraph Road [ed. Jeremy Nuttall, formerly Demon's Drawl]
Tempestuous Orifice [ed. Chris Davies]
The Thing that Came from the Dungheap [ed. Michael Duggan]
This Way Up
Thunderstruck [ed. Tim Kalvis, RPGs & related media]
Thunderwind [ed. John Dalziel & John Dalziel; first issue #0]
Tome of Horrors [ed. Gordon Moir]
Tortured Souls [ed. A & J Hickling and J Barrett, 12 issues, 1983-86,
adventure modules (D&D/AD&D/RQ) and solo adventures using unique
mapping system]
Torturers Apprentice
Totally Zane [ed. Linda Little, mostly perzine, with some PBM and
RPGs]
Tragsnart [ed. Jon ?; subzine in Dool, and others; and also an online
version with reviews of other vintage zines]
Trizine
Trojan Horse [ed. Andy Evans, diplomacy zine with D&D chat]
Trollcrusher [ed. David Row &John Baillie; long running APA-zine with
many contributors]
20 Years On [ed. Simon Billeness, Ian Shaw; reviews of many UK RPG
zines, dubbed "The Fanzine Buyer's Guide"]
Twinworld [ed. Mike Straaten, AD&D and Traveller]

Ultimatum [ed. Thomas Lynton]
Underworld Oracle
Utter Drivel [ed. Gordon McLellan with Ben Goodale; #12+1 is a joint
zine with the editor of "Moronica Ripsnore"]

Vacuous Grimoire [ed.?; more than one issue?]
Verbal Diarrhoea
Voom Vat

The Wanderer
Warlock
Warped Sense of Humor [ed. Julie Glig]
Wereman [ed. James Wallis; 9 issues, 1982-84, RPG hardware, first
published works by James Wallis & Spike Y Jones]
The Westron [ed.?; news of a D&D postal campaign]
White Dwarf [ed. Ian Livingstone et al.; early RPG prozine and GW
house-organ that grew out of the news-sheet Owl and Weasel; personal
ads were an early postal internet for the UK zine hobby until they
were unexpectedly stopped by editorial policy in 1987; issues 1-100
are considered to be canon to RPG enthusiasts as they stopped covering
RPGs and concentrated on covering their own miniatures games,
essentially turning the magazine into a monthly catalog]
White Elephant [ed.?; Irish, sequel to The Guilder]
White Rabbit [ed. Maurice Thomas]
White Shadow
The Wild Hunt [US APA-zine, with many UK contributors]
Wolvesbane [ed. Jon French; AD&D]
"Wotsit" [ed. Paul Mason, nickname applied to a series of one off
titles that eventually evolved into Imazine by the seventh issue in
the series; previous titles included #1 'The Pete Tamlyn Fanclub
Newsletter', #2 'Brian Dolton's Book of Flower Pressing', #3 'Ian
Marsh's Adventure Gaming Ideas(Novice Edition)', #4 'Rolegaming', #5
'Wanderings of This Stupid Imbecilic Twit' (to take advantage of the
nickname), and #6 is the Imagine parody]
The Writings of a Converted Wraith
Wyrm's Claw [ed.?; Glorantha zine; at least 16 issues]

ZadragorZette [ed. Michael Jacobs; covered editor's "Zadragor" fantasy
campaign; ten year run]

Abbreviations used:

APAzine=Amateur Press Association fanzine
clubzine=games club fanzine
dipzine=Diplomacy fanzine
perzine=personal fanzine
prozine=professional magazine
subzine= smaller submission inside a compilation zine

Brett Easterbrook

Apr 10, 2004, 7:14:21 PM4/10/04
I see that you have listed several non-uk zines here as well (would
you like them as well?)... anyway here are a few of the UK ones you
have missed, and a few updates on others...some are in storage so I
haven't pul the ed in sorry...

> Finally, I'm always on the lookout for example fanzines (original or
> photocopies) for personal review.
> If you can help out, please drop me a line!
> ::Brian::

Ditto!!! Drop me a line Brian I do have a few in storage zine;)
Brette")

> Beaumains
6 issues made

Black Freighter (ed Paul Williams)
Black Mole (ed Ian Creasey)
Dark Star (traveller Zine, 5 issues)

> Demon's Blood
5 issues made

Dimension Zero (ed Bryn Thomas)
Games Gazette (ed Chris Baylis)
Grimtooths Friends (ed?)

> Green Goblin [ed. John Breakwell]

chat zine

> I Don't Wanna go Back in the Box [ed. John J. Smith]

started with #5?

> Immoral Minority [ed. P. Wilkinson]

Peter Wilkinson

> It's Clobbering Time
2 issues?

Kirkwood (ed Adam El-Badini)

Lac Ta (ed Tim Eccles Farscape Zine 2003)

> Moronica Ripsnore [ed.?, Scottish]
ed Gordon Mclennan

Origin of Tree Worship (ed Tim Eccles, WFRP zine 2002-)

> Pandemonium [ed. M. de Monti; horror, comics, roleplaying]

Matthew de Monti

Pink Elephant (ed "one of the editors of of Sacrificing th Goat")

> Perchance [ed. Jim Johnston]
perCHANCE, Irish Zine

Raven (ed Gaven Ewing)
Read Pheasant Thoughts (2 issues?)

> Red Giant
2 issues

Runezine (ed?)

> Sacrificing the Goat [ed. Mark Jones; succeeded by "Eidolon"]

Eidion is Jeremy Nuttall I believe

Shatter (ed Peter Wainwright 1990-)
Shire Talk (ed?)
Starships, Starports and Vehicles (traveller zine, 12 issues ed?)
Slave (reviews other zines, ed Sheldon Bayley)
Start up (ed Ian Lacey, PBM zine)

> Storm Lord
15 issues I think

> Superhero UK
20 issues

Supper Zine (ed? 1 issue?, super hero zine)

> Thunderwind [ed. John Dalziel & John Dalziel; first issue #0]

Paul Dawson for one of the Johns;)

Tortured Souls (2 issues, ed? small sized , not to be confused with
other Tortured Souls Mag 12 issues large size)

> Trollcrusher
29 issues I think

Tunnel Talk (ed Simon Hanks, T&T Zine, Team up Tunnel talk 4 and
Pandemonium #14)

> Utter Drivel
ed Ben Goodale at least 16 issues more of a chat/ postal rpg zine
team up with Utter Drival 7/ Tome of Horrors 7/ Moronica Ripsnore 3

Vollmond (ed Andre Paine)

Brian Christopher Misiaszek

Apr 11, 2004, 9:30:38 PM4/11/04
Hi there, Brett,

> I see that you have listed several non-uk zines here as well (would
> you like them as well?)

Well, I was thinking of the UK as the "epicenter", as it were, and
tried to include those fanzines with primarily a UK focus or a
significant number of UK participants. I also tried to focus on those
published in the 1980s, but I decided that I would include all such
zines (alas, there are so few of them now...). I included just a few
"prozines" as how they related to the fanzines and either
helped/hindered it at the time.

The more I look at this enormous listing, the more I shake my head,
astonished at all the passion and energy that existed in the UK back
during this golden age of gaming. At least on a proportional
population basis, there's at least 10 times the number that existed in
the US and Canada.

I'm not certain the reason, either, for such a high concentration of
RPG zines from this part of the world. I have a few ideas that
perhaps others more knowledeable than I am could comment on:

1. The existence of such things as the classifieds in WD and many many
nearby games conventions for writers, editors and fanzine buyers to
get together (ie my "primitive postal internet" theory)?
2. The influence of the punk-zines and the "do it yourself" work ethic
to stimulate other zinesters to come up with their own?
3. A paucity of local gaming magazines and companies in the UK that
local gamers tried to "fill in the gap" with their home-brew efforts?
4. More encouragement or support from schools and universities for
individuals and gaming clubs to published zines?

What else that surprises me is how ephemeral and elusive this material
has become. The only related gaming group that seems to have archived
much of their zine material are those involved in diplomacy zines. The
RPG hobby hasn't done as nearly as good a job.

But I digress on your comments:

... anyway here are a few of the UK ones you
> have missed, and a few updates on others...some are in storage so I
> haven't pul the ed in sorry...

I'm amazed and pleased at the careful work you included. Thank you!

> > Finally, I'm always on the lookout for example fanzines (original or
> > photocopies) for personal review.
> > If you can help out, please drop me a line!
> > ::Brian::
>
> Ditto!!! Drop me a line Brian I do have a few in storage zine;)
> Brette")

I'll do so shortly (work and active baby permitting, fingers crossed)!
Meanwhile, on with your additions to the list. I've updated my
listing to incorporate your items (I'll post these shortly, still
hoping someone else will write in with some further fanzine title
additions, descriptions, clarifications, corrections, etc.), with only
a few clarifications needed from you for the following

> > Red Giant
> 2 issues

I actually have issue #7 of "Red Giant" (ed. Thomas Haine and Toby
Branford; mimeographed), that I had mail-ordered from Esdevian Games
some 20 years ago when I was in high school (as part of a smorgasborg
of fanzines I obtained at that time that included "Thunderstruck",
"Alien Star" and "Beholder"). Was there more than one zine of this
name?

> Runezine (ed?)
> >
> > Sacrificing the Goat [ed. Mark Jones; succeeded by "Eidolon"]
> Eidion is Jeremy Nuttall I believe

I'm not certain what you mean here; was STG edited by Jeremy Nuttall,
or is there another zine by the name of "Eidion"?

::Brian::

Terry Boon

Apr 12, 2004, 5:42:50 AM4/12/04
On 11 Apr 2004 18:30:38 -0700, Brian Christopher Misiaszek
<mis...@mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> Hi there, Brett,

[snip]

>> > Red Giant
>> 2 issues
>
> I actually have issue #7 of "Red Giant" (ed. Thomas Haine and Toby
> Branford; mimeographed), that I had mail-ordered from Esdevian Games
> some 20 years ago when I was in high school (as part of a smorgasborg
> of fanzines I obtained at that time that included "Thunderstruck",
> "Alien Star" and "Beholder"). Was there more than one zine of this
> name?

There was a short-lived glossy prozine of that name. I can't remember
the year, but would estimate early 1990s.

--
Terry Boon, London, UK
te...@counterfactual.org

Phil Masters

Apr 12, 2004, 6:21:15 AM4/12/04
On 11 Apr 2004 18:30:38 -0700, mis...@mcmaster.ca (Brian Christopher

Misiaszek) wrote:
>> > Red Giant
>> 2 issues
>
>I actually have issue #7 of "Red Giant" (ed. Thomas Haine and Toby
>Branford; mimeographed), that I had mail-ordered from Esdevian Games
>some 20 years ago when I was in high school (as part of a smorgasborg
>of fanzines I obtained at that time that included "Thunderstruck",
>"Alien Star" and "Beholder"). Was there more than one zine of this
>name?

There was a fairly glossy prozine of that title which made two issues.
Sounds like a duplicate name.

--
Phil Masters http://www.philm.demon.co.uk
Consternation: RPG Convention, Cambridge, 2005:

Brett Easterbrook

Apr 12, 2004, 7:34:56 AM4/12/04
> At least on a proportional
> population basis, there's at least 10 times the number that existed in
> the US and Canada.

I have to concur, I'm in Australia and there was no such zine output
such as there was in the UK, there are also other zines that were
listed as about to be produced (ie adds for issue 1 of the zine in
some of the zines, I have not included these as I don't know if they
were actually produced or not...

> I'm not certain the reason, either, for such a high concentration of
> RPG zines from this part of the world. I have a few ideas that
> perhaps others more knowledeable than I am could comment on:
>
> 1. The existence of such things as the classifieds in WD and many many
> nearby games conventions for writers, editors and fanzine buyers to
> get together (ie my "primitive postal internet" theory)?
> 2. The influence of the punk-zines and the "do it yourself" work ethic
> to stimulate other zinesters to come up with their own?
> 3. A paucity of local gaming magazines and companies in the UK that
> local gamers tried to "fill in the gap" with their home-brew efforts?
> 4. More encouragement or support from schools and universities for
> individuals and gaming clubs to published zines?
>
> What else that surprises me is how ephemeral and elusive this material
> has become. The only related gaming group that seems to have archived
> much of their zine material are those involved in diplomacy zines. The
> RPG hobby hasn't done as nearly as good a job.

I have some of these zines saying that they were produced by 13-14
year olds! I have run across lots of zines throygh the uk, comic
zines, fatarsy zine, dr who zines , punk rock zines, also there are
these several zines that are reviewed that don't relate to RPGing so I
did not include these as well...

> I'm amazed and pleased at the careful work you included. Thank you!

no worries, FYI there was a guy in the states that was producing an
index on zines and magazines, the last time I spoke to him was a
couple of years ago, he had over 3000 indexed at last count, I'll have
to try and track him down, I also know that he had a web page that
listed the mag he had and the ones he was after I have a copy of it
somewhere as well, there are a couple of us out here that are
interested in preserving these things.. alas only a few...

> > > Red Giant
> > 2 issues
>
> I actually have issue #7 of "Red Giant" (ed. Thomas Haine and Toby
> Branford; mimeographed), that I had mail-ordered from Esdevian Games
> some 20 years ago when I was in high school (as part of a smorgasborg
> of fanzines I obtained at that time that included "Thunderstruck",
> "Alien Star" and "Beholder"). Was there more than one zine of this
> name?

The one I am thinking of is a magazine that tried to rival "White
Dwarf".. Red Giant is the opposite to white dwarf;) there seem to be
only two issues made of this, looks to be different from the red dwarf
you are talking about...

> > > Sacrificing the Goat [ed. Mark Jones; succeeded by "Eidolon"]
> > Eidion is Jeremy Nuttall I believe
>
> I'm not certain what you mean here; was STG edited by Jeremy Nuttall,
> or is there another zine by the name of "Eidion"?

ah, it looks like Jeremy Nuttall took over from Mark, I have it
somewhere that he was the ed of issue 6...

Brette:)

Tim Ellis

Apr 12, 2004, 8:44:59 AM4/12/04
Brian Christopher Misiaszek <mis...@mcmaster.ca> has previously posted
>Doombook of Chaos
Ed Jonathon P Irwin (Des) & Brandon Bennett (Brad)

I've also dug out "Theatre of Pain" by Dave Robinson (ex Demon's Drawl
co-editor) - he describes it as a Personal Zine with little or no FRP,
and is uncertain about the inclusion of postal games, so I'm not sure if
it really fits on your list anyway. I suspect I picked a copy up at a
Convention - I don't think I have any others...
| Tim Ellis EMail t...@timellis.demon.co.uk |
| |

Brian Christopher Misiaszek

Apr 12, 2004, 3:05:15 PM4/12/04
Hi there, Brett!

> I have to concur, I'm in Australia and there was no such zine output
> such as there was in the UK, there are also other zines that were

Nod. I'm in Canada, and even the proximity of the US next door, 10x
our population, strangely did not produce nearly the same RPG zine
output as the UK did.

> listed as about to be produced (ie adds for issue 1 of the zine in
> some of the zines, I have not included these as I don't know if they
> were actually produced or not...

I agree that only those RPG zines whose existence is confirmed should
be counted.

> I have some of these zines saying that they were produced by 13-14
> year olds! I have run across lots of zines throygh the uk, comic
> zines, fatarsy zine, dr who zines , punk rock zines, also there are
> these several zines that are reviewed that don't relate to RPGing so I
> did not include these as well...

Literally thousands of different zines have been produced over the
years. Mike Gunderloy, used to run "Fact Sheet Five", a semi-pro zine
that covered other zines, and the topics covered were amazing just to
read about, let alone send away for; music, SF, TV, art, fiction,
fringe, sex, computers, anime, etc. As an aside, Mr. Gunderloy used
to contribute a sub-zine to the long running APAzine "Alarums and
Excursions" several decades ago, the APA which I still write for now.

I think we should include those zines that included at least some
coverge of gaming related materials on a regular basis, hence the
inclusion of only a few of those diplomacy zines where some FRPG
material was included.

> > I'm amazed and pleased at the careful work you included. Thank you!
> >
> no worries, FYI there was a guy in the states that was producing an
> index on zines and magazines, the last time I spoke to him was a
> couple of years ago, he had over 3000 indexed at last count, I'll have
> to try and track him down, I also know that he had a web page that
> listed the mag he had and the ones he was after I have a copy of it
> somewhere as well, there are a couple of us out here that are
> interested in preserving these things.. alas only a few...

Is this Jim Vassilakos? He has been collecting items for his vast
index of RPG articles from pro, semi and fanzines for years now, but
his promised electronic catalog is now about 4 years late now.

[Aside, this year I was reading in a very early issue of A&E dating
back to 1982, #88, where a Wall Street financial officer who was a
gamer was collecting fanzines. This was some 20 years ago when he was
most likely flush with funds to help him with his project. A few
months ago I tried tracking him down and sent off a query letter, but
alas, no reply.]

> The one I am thinking of is a magazine that tried to rival "White
> Dwarf".. Red Giant is the opposite to white dwarf;) there seem to be
> only two issues made of this, looks to be different from the red dwarf
> you are talking about...

Yeah, it's a different one, as I've seen a copy of the above prozine
and didn't include it. I think the name was chosen as a kind of
homage to "White Dwarf" exactly as you suggest. Just like the
"Alliterative & Alliterative" games and fanzines based on "Dungeons &
Dragons"; "Tunnels & Trolls", "Quasits & Quasars", etc.

> > > Eidion is Jeremy Nuttall I believe
> >
> > I'm not certain what you mean here; was STG edited by Jeremy Nuttall,
> > or is there another zine by the name of "Eidion"?
> >

> ah, it looks like Jeremy Nuttall took over from Mark, I have it
> somewhere that he was the ed of issue 6...

Aha! Thanks very much; this will go in the next update.

::Brian::

Brian Christopher Misiaszek

Apr 12, 2004, 9:05:30 PM4/12/04
Tim Ellis <t...@timellis.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<SHRHzDAL...@timellis.demon.co.uk>...

> Brian Christopher Misiaszek <mis...@mcmaster.ca> has previously posted
> >Doombook of Chaos
> Ed Jonathon P Irwin (Des) & Brandon Bennett (Brad)
>
> I've also dug out "Theatre of Pain" by Dave Robinson (ex Demon's Drawl
> co-editor) - he describes it as a Personal Zine with little or no FRP,
> and is uncertain about the inclusion of postal games, so I'm not sure if
> it really fits on your list anyway. I suspect I picked a copy up at a
> Convention - I don't think I have any others...

Hi there, Tim!

Thanks for the DOC stuff; it'll be included in the next iteration of
the list. I'll hold off sending it to the list while waiting for
anyone else to step forward.

As for TOP, it's hard to say if it should be included, not having a
copy to review. I think that a perzine that constructively talked
about FRP stuff on a regular basis, it should be included.

More importantly, what do *you* think? Does it look, smell, walk and
quack like an RPG zine? If it does, then it is. If not, well...

::Brian::

pan...@ic.nanzan-u.ac.jp

Apr 12, 2004, 11:35:40 PM4/12/04
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 8:14:21 +0900, Brett Easterbrook wrote
(in message <6f9b98c6.0404...@posting.google.com>):

> Supper Zine (ed? 1 issue?, super hero zine)

That would perhaps be Superzine, the short-lived superhero RPG zine that Matt
Williams edited before going to Warwick University, where he started Tales
From Tanelorn.

Actually, I hate to say this but never mind just the UK, if you go down the
list and see how many came from Warwick University it's pretty chilling (both
Swansea With Me's were from Warwick, based on the same early unrecorded song
by the Housemartins, heard on the same occasion).

While we were busy flooding the world with fanzines, the rest of the
university was busy spreading an NSU epidemic (watch A Very Peculiar Practice
for details). Hard to say which was worse, really.

Which reminds me of a correction: Secrets of the Koan was the Warwick SF
society clubzine (edited by Trevor Mendham). Atu XVIII was his own zine.

Cheers

Paul Mason

Brett Easterbrook

Apr 13, 2004, 3:30:07 AM4/13/04
> I think we should include those zines that included at least some
> coverge of gaming related materials on a regular basis, hence the
> inclusion of only a few of those diplomacy zines where some FRPG
> material was included.

the rpg zines and those that have some rpg material are all that
interest me, so I have to agree;)

> Is this Jim Vassilakos? He has been collecting items for his vast
> index of RPG articles from pro, semi and fanzines for years now, but
> his promised electronic catalog is now about 4 years late now.

Yes it is Jim and yes it has been a while, I found his site , its
still up and updated from the copy I have of it 2 years ago...thank
god!

> [Aside, this year I was reading in a very early issue of A&E dating
> back to 1982, #88, where a Wall Street financial officer who was a
> gamer was collecting fanzines. This was some 20 years ago when he was
> most likely flush with funds to help him with his project. A few
> months ago I tried tracking him down and sent off a query letter, but
> alas, no reply.]

keep me updated on that one! have any other info?

Brette:)

Brian Christopher Misiaszek

Apr 17, 2004, 11:59:18 AM4/17/04
Vintage UK RPG Fanzines: Update April 17th 2004

This ongoing project to alphabetically list all vintage UK RPG zines
has increased to about *245* different titles by last count. I say
"about", as I've included some important pro-zines, and there is still
some uncertainity on the existence of some zine titles.

Thanks to Brett Easterbrook, Tim Ellis, H. Barker and Paul Mason for
the recent additions they provided.

Again, I would like to thank everyone for their help so far, and would

appreciate any further corrections, additions, clarifications, helpful

advice, etc. that you can provide, especially for those titles for

which nothing is known other than their name.

As mentioned previously, I would especially like to invite those

former vintage UK RPG fanzine editors or collectors of such fanzines

to provide any descriptions or corrected descriptions of your zine(s)
so I can more accurately catalog them in further updates.

Finally, I'm always on the lookout for example fanzines (original or
photocopies) for personal review. If you can help out, please drop me
a line!

::Brian Misiaszek::

**********Vintage UK RPG Fanzines*********
*******Updated as of April 17th, 2004*******

The Acolyte [ed. Pete Tamlyn; initially Southhampton University
club-zine under the name The Apocalypse for the first 5 issues before
the name change; FRP and diplomacy zine; 60 issues (Jan 1980 – Aug
1985).
Adventurer's Anonymous [ed. Richard Stitson]
Aerial Servant
Alarums & Excursions [A&E] [ed. Lee Gold, aka "A&E", monthly US
APA-zine with many UK and other international contributors, started in

1975, and active as of 2004 having missed only *one* month during this

extremely lengthy run]
Alice [ed. Richard Campbell; re-launch of This Way Up]
Alien Star [ed. D.W. Hockham; Traveller zine; 8 issues beginning 1981]
Amulet [ed. Richard Henderson with Alex Bardy]
The Arbalest [ed. Paul Slusarewicz; Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu, Dr.

Who RPG, and other RPGs covered; not to be confused with the anarchist

zine of the same name]
Aslan [ed. Andrew Rilstone & Martin Wykes,13 issues, with many
sub-zines; RPG theory philosophy, speculation & commentary; highly
regarded]

Atu XVIII [ed. Trevor Mendham; FRP, discussion and dip-zine]

Backstabbers United Monthly [BUM] [ed. Malcolm Cornelius; started off
as an En Garde and Diplomacy gamezine, with other RPGs added; 1988-]
Balrog Banter [ed. Paul Evens; hardware RPG zine with a supplement
each issue to accompany the scenario]
The Bat
Beaumains [ed. Gareth Jones; devoted to Pendragon RPG and things

Arthurian; 6 issues]

The Beholder [ed. Nicholas Scales; A4 format, very slick, 1979-?]

Black Freighter [ed. Paul Williams]
Black Mole [ed. Ian Creasey]

Black Knight [ed. Angela Times]
Black Rider

Blood Guts & Beer [ed.?; Runequest]

Blue Shaboo [ed. Brian Duguid; "rolegame" zine]
Bohemian Rhapsody [ed. Malcolm Smith; RPG and dipzine]
Bone of Contention [ed. Steven Rawlinson & Fergus Selby]
A Bolt from the Blue [ed. Ken Bain]
The Booklet of Many Things [ed. Mark Beresford]
Boris [ed. Dave Murray]
Borkelby's Folly [ed. Ray Gillham; Jorune RPG zine]
Brick in the Face [ed. Fergus Selby]
The Bubonic Plagiarist

Carnel [ed. Robert Rees, 1994-; one of very few active today]

[...]

Dark Star [ed.?; Traveller zine; 5 issues]

Daughters of Dool [ed. Bob Jackson; RPG and perzine]
Dead Elf [ed. Andrew Fisher, hardware and ideas for an Asterix RPG;
also included "Isozine", a perzine]
Death's Dance Taken Slowly [ed. Brian Dolton,?13 issues, RPG theory]
Delusions of Grandeur [ed. Nathan Cubitt, with Mike Blake & Paul
Duncanson; 1988-1995, 4 issues plus a one shot, compilation "Best Of"
published in 2002 and edited Robert Rees of "Carnal"]
Demon Issue

Demon's Blood [ed.?; 5 issues]

[...]

Elsewhere [ed. Mark Wadey; RPGs, PBMs, books, films & comics]

[...]

Grimtooth's Friends [ed.?]
Green Goblin [ed. John Breakwell; chat zine]
Ground Zero
The Guilder

Hacking Times [ed. Dylan Harris]
Harvest Time [ed. Martin Veart]
Hellfire [ed. A.S. Lilly]
Hits To Kill [ed. Domenic de Bechi]
Hocus Pocus [ed. by Paul "Pum" Holman, three issues, starting #0]
Holy Avenger [ed.?, 1986-?]
Hopscotch [ed. Alan Parr]
Horse Manure [ed. S. Cooper, 1986-?]
Hounds of Avalar
Hyperactive [ed. Nick Edwards; APA Zine aimed at helping "Newcomers"
to zine editing]

I Don't Wanna go Back in the Box [ed. John J. Smith; ? first issue #5]

Illusionist's Vision
Imazine [ed. Paul Mason, ?-2003, and still published/available online;
game theory, reviews and thoughtful articles; archived at British
Library!]

Immoral Minority [ed. Peter Wilkinson]

The Impaler [ed. Mark Stockton; "systemless fanzine"]
Inflammatory Material [ed. ?, aka Flames]
Instant Karma [ed. James Wallis]
Intellect Devourer [ed. Dave Hughes]
Into the Darkness [ed. Nick Price]
Iron Orchid [ed. Nick Edwards, 8+ issues, RPG & PBMs]
Iskra [ed. Tom Conway, music and RPG zine]
IT
It's Clobbering Time [eds. Andrew de Salis, Steve Weekes; superhero

RPGs; 2 issues]

Ivory Tower [Geoff Dean, Yasser & Akram el Gabry, ? 8 issues, Golden
Heroes, Runequest, and Traveller hardware, modules and articles; issue
6 team up with "Sound and Fury" #5]
Ivory, Peacocks and Apes [eds. Pete Lindsay and Gavin Greig started
mid 1990s, 2 issues, on hiatus]

Journal of the Senseless Carnage Society [ed. Simon Hartley; 1983-?,
17+ issues]

Kirkwood [ed. Adam El-Badini]

Lac Ta (ed Tim Eccles; Farscape RPG Zine 2003)

Lankhmar Star Daily [LSD] [ed. Rob Nott; 28+ issues]
Lion & Lamb Chronicles [ed.?; Norwegian APA-zine with English
contributors]
Living the Orclife [ed. C.E. Nurse; less of a zine than a serialized
RPG]
Lokasenna [ed. Brian Dolton; long running zine, mostly dipzine; 22+
issues; 1982-?]

Mad Policy [ed. Richard Walkertin]
Making Moves [ed. ?; Warhammer FRP, Call of Cthulhu and other RPGs]
Manic Depressive [ed. Nick Edwards]
The Martian Chronicles [ed. M. Wall]
Miser's Hoard [ed. John McKeown; 6+ issues]
Monstrous Perversion

Moronica Ripsnore [ed. Gordon Mclennan, Scottish]

Origin of Tree Worship [ed. Tim Eccles; WFRP zine 2002-]

Out of the Mist [ed. Jason Kingsly; merger of Shadowfire/Mystic
Crystal]
Owl & Weasel [eds. Ian Livingstone & Steve Jackson; February
1975-1977, 25 issues, forerunner of "White Dwarf"; newsletter
published by Games Workshop for their mail order business, with game
reviews and notes]

Palantir
Pandemonium [ed. Matthew de Monti; horror, comics, roleplaying]

Pavic Tales [ed.?; Runequest 3rd edition fanzine]

perChance [ed. Jim Johnston; Irish]
Pink Elephant [ed. "one of the editors of Sacrificing the Goat"]

Polaris [ed. Simon Prest; 1 issue, 1987, Call of Cthulhu]
Prisoner's Of War [eds. Wallace Nicoll & Doug Rowling]
Protoplasm
Punt & Pass
Psychobabble [Irish]

Quasits & Quasars [ed. David Hulks]

Rage in Eden [ed. Richard Mumford]
Rapscallion

Raven (ed Gaven Ewing)

RCM [ed. Simon Ford, 1986-?]
Read Pheasant Throughout [ed. Nick Eden; Runequest, roleplaying and

comics; 2 issues]

Red Fox
Red Giant [eds. Thomas Haine & Toby Branfoot; mimeographed, RPG

modules and articles; not to be confused with the short lived RPG
prozine of the same name from the early 1990s that lasted a couple of
issues only]

Red Shift [ed. Jez Keen, more of a perzine with creative writing and
RPG ideas, one issue]
Roleplaying [? ed. Joe Deckchair]
Die Rubezahl [ed. Pete Blanchard, sequel to Monstrous Perversion)
Runeriter [ed. Neil Smith; Runequest RPG]
Runestone [ed. Bill Lucas and Nick Edwards]

Runezine [ed.?]

Sacrificing the Goat [ed. Mark Jones; succeeded by "Eidolon"]
Sarceen's Knowledge [ed.? 1 issue, Sky Realms of Jorune]
Sauce of the Nile [ed. Malcolm Smith; rebirth of Bohemian Rhapsody,
published in Antwerp Belgium]
SCAN
School for Scandal [ed. Trevor Mendham; RPG hobby-news zine]

Secrets of the Koan [ed. Trevor Mendham?; University of Warwick
clubzine]

Seventh Sin of the Salamander [ed. Jonathan Laidlow]
SEWARS [ed. Chris Baylis]
Shadowfire

Shatter [ed. Peter Wainwright; 1990-]
Shire Talk [ed.?]

Skullcrusher [ed. Richard Langrish and others; RPG hardware and other
crunchy bits]

Slave [ed. Sheldon Bayley; reviews other zines]

Snot Rag [ed.?, 1987-?]
Sound & Fury [ed. James Wallis, also a "Sound & Fury" #5/"Ivory
Tower"#6 team up issue]
Space Operations [ed. Brian Scott, Space Opera & other FGU games]
Spawn of Chaos
Spectral Vision [ed. Mark McLean]
Spit 4 [ed. D. Evens]
Spitting From the Battlements
Starquester [ed. Mark Oswin]

Starships, Starports and Vehicles [ed.?; Traveler zine, 12 issues]
Start up [ed. Ian Lacey, PBM zine]
Stielkrieg
Storm Lord [ed.?; 15 issues]

Storm Ruler [Storm Lord v.2]
Superhero UK [originally ed. Simon Burley, and later Jonathan Clark;
RPG articles and modules which covered mostly Golden Heroes (created

by Burley) and Champions; 20 issues]
Superzine [ed. Matt Williams; 1 issue?, super hero zine]

Swansea With Me [v1, ed. Matt Williams, sequel to "Tales from
Tanelorn", not to be confused with...Swansea With Me [v2, ed. Alex
Zbyslaw, chat zine, published at the same time as the above]
Swordplay

Take That You Fiend [ed. J. Harrington, Kevin Warne; Tunnels & Trolls]
Tales After Dark
Tales from Tanelorn [ed. Matt Williams]
Tales of the Reaching Moon [ed. David Hall; emphasis on Glorantha
rather than being a Runequest zine, 20 issues; 19??-2003]
Telegraph Road [ed. Jeremy Nuttall, formerly Demon's Drawl]
Tempestuous Orifice [ed. Chris Davies]
The Thing that Came from the Dungheap [ed. Michael Duggan]
This Way Up
Thunderstruck [ed. Tim Kalvis, RPGs & related media]

Thunderwind [ed. John Dalziel & Paul Dawson; first issue #0]

Tome of Horrors [ed. Gordon Moir]
Tortured Souls [ed. A & J Hickling and J Barrett, 12 issues, 1983-86,
adventure modules (D&D/AD&D/RQ) and solo adventures using unique
mapping system]

Tortured Souls [ed,?; small sized, 2 issues; not to be confused with
above Tortured Souls Mag 12 issues large size)

Torturers Apprentice
Totally Zane [ed. Linda Little, mostly perzine, with some PBM and
RPGs]
Tragsnart [ed. Jon ?; subzine in Dool, and others; and also an online
version with reviews of other vintage zines]
Trizine
Trojan Horse [ed. Andy Evans, diplomacy zine with D&D chat]

Trollcrusher [ed. David Row & John Baillie; APA-zine; 29 issues]
Tunnel Talk [ed. Simon Hanks, T&T Zine, Team up Tunnel talk 4 and
Pandemonium #14)

20 Years On [ed. Simon Billeness, Ian Shaw; reviews of many UK RPG
zines, dubbed "The Fanzine Buyer's Guide"]
Twinworld [ed. Mike Straaten, AD&D and Traveller]

Ultimatum [ed. Thomas Lynton]
Underworld Oracle

Utter Drivel [ed. Ben Goodale; chat postal RPG zine; #7 is a team up
with "Tome of Horrors #7 & "Moronica Ripsnore" #3; #12+1 is a team up
with "Moronica Ripsnore"]

Vacuous Grimoire [ed.?; more than one issue?
Verbal Diarrhoea

Vollmond [ed. Andre Paine]
[...]

The Wild Hunt [US APA-zine, with UK contributors]
[...]

Paul Mason

Apr 20, 2004, 12:57:27 AM4/20/04
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 0:59:18 +0900, Brian Christopher Misiaszek wrote
(in message <89021c84.0404...@posting.google.com>):

> The Beholder [ed. Nicholas Scales; A4 format, very slick, 1979-?]

The Beholder may have switched to A4, but I don't believe it originally was.

If Owl & Weasel is deemed suitable, then shouldn't also Steve Williams's
Games Workshop mail order zine (Black [something]) be included?

> Blue Shaboo [ed. Brian Duguid; "rolegame" zine]

I thought it was Brian's chat zine, myself.

> Boris [ed. Dave Murray]

and Chris Preist. A short-lived highly parodic Warwick zine with a title
inspired by the execrable board game The Worlds of Boris Vallejo

> Eye of All Seeing Wonder [ed. Dave Morris; Tekumel & Empire of the
> Petal Throne]

Taken over by Steve Foster for its last issue or two.

> Inflammatory Material [ed. ?, aka Flames]

Simon Billenness. A person zine.

> Lion & Lamb Chronicles [ed.?; Norwegian APA-zine with English
> contributors]

Ragnar Fyri.

> Monstrous Perversion

Actually Monsterous Perversion, spelling not being Pob's strong point. Wasn't
this Pete 'Pob' Blanchard's zine?

> My Father Killed a Man [ed. Jez Keen; one off zine, contains the
> Dreamscape-like RPG "Carnations and Razorblades"]

Wasn't this actually an issue of Next Stop Jupiter

> Mystic Crystal

Er... Jason Kingsley? Went on to team up with Richard Lee on something or
other: Out of the Mist?

> Nightflyer [ed.?; Oxford University RPG Society clubzine]

various eds. Tim Harford at one point.

> Rapscallion

Steve Norledge.

> Red Fox

A comic, not a zine. Editor was called ... er... Alistair something?

> Shadowfire

Richard Lee

> Trollcrusher [ed. David Row & John Baillie; APA-zine; 29 issues]

Changed editors a few times. At the time I was contributing it was edited by
Lawrence thingie of the Dungeons & Starships shop in Brum (he went on to
manage the Brum Games Workshop).

> Underworld Oracle

One of the early roleplaying zines. Famous for its 'Halls of Testing'
one-on-one scenarios.

> Warlock

The Fighting Fantasy prozine? Edited by Penguin for a while, until they
realised they were crap at this sort of thing. Then taken over by Games
Workshop and edited by Peter Darvill-Evans, then Steve Williams (subsequently
assisted by Paul Mason). When GW moved to Nottingham, Marc Gascoigne took
over as editor. Died at issue 13, but bizarrely, the Japanese version
(originally translated, subsequently original) continued for another 50 or so
issues!

> Wereman [ed. James Wallis; 9 issues, 1982-84, RPG hardware, first
> published works by James Wallis & Spike Y Jones]

Wasn't this a clubzine? Windsor & Eton blah-de-blah-de-blah?

Cheers

Paul

Brett Easterbrook

Apr 20, 2004, 5:35:07 PM4/20/04
> Black Rider
ed Gavin Carver

James Wallis

Apr 20, 2004, 6:26:44 PM4/20/04
In message <0001HW.BCAADCC7...@news.astraweb.com>, Paul
Mason <pan...@ic.nanzan-u.ac.jp> writes

>> Wereman [ed. James Wallis; 9 issues, 1982-84, RPG hardware, first
>> published works by James Wallis & Spike Y Jones]
>
>Wasn't this a clubzine? Windsor & Eton blah-de-blah-de-blah?

No, it wasn't.

--
James Wallis
ja...@erstwhile.demon.co.uk

Tim Ellis

Apr 20, 2004, 7:01:22 PM4/20/04
Paul Mason <pan...@ic.nanzan-u.ac.jp> has previously posted

>If Owl & Weasel is deemed suitable, then shouldn't also Steve Williams's
>Games Workshop mail order zine (Black [something]) be included?

Black Sun? A5, unstapled

I'd also like to add ArgleBargle (ed Simon Lindsey) which started out as
a Lankhmar Star Daily subzine, became a Zine in it's own right then
became The Brothers Grimm (ed Simon & Pete Lindsey) (or is it Lindsay?
-Pete L was the editor of drunk & Disorderly and Simon is his brother) -
chat/rpg/postal games

Paul Mason

Apr 20, 2004, 9:27:09 PM4/20/04
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 7:26:44 +0900, James Wallis wrote
(in message <GW5JxNCk...@erstwhile.demon.co.uk>):

> In message <0001HW.BCAADCC7...@news.astraweb.com>, Paul
> Mason <pan...@ic.nanzan-u.ac.jp> writes
>>> Wereman [ed. James Wallis; 9 issues, 1982-84, RPG hardware, first
>>> published works by James Wallis & Spike Y Jones]
>>
>> Wasn't this a clubzine? Windsor & Eton blah-de-blah-de-blah?
>
> No, it wasn't.

My mistake. I had vaguely remembered that the title had acronymical
properties: perhaps I was wrong about that also?

Cheers

Paul

Brian Christopher Misiaszek

Apr 20, 2004, 10:59:24 PM4/20/04
James Wallis <ja...@erstwhile.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<GW5JxNCk...@erstwhile.demon.co.uk>...

> In message <0001HW.BCAADCC7...@news.astraweb.com>, Paul
> Mason <pan...@ic.nanzan-u.ac.jp> writes
> >> Wereman [ed. James Wallis; 9 issues, 1982-84, RPG hardware, first
> >> published works by James Wallis & Spike Y Jones]
> >
> >Wasn't this a clubzine? Windsor & Eton blah-de-blah-de-blah?
>
> No, it wasn't.

Can you elaborate any more about WEREMAN, James? I know that you
half-joked wanted to eradicate all evidence of its existence (at least
I thought you were joking), but I know others are curious. I find
both the topic of RPG zines interesting, and I'm curious also about
those persons who somehow had the gumption to put together a zine
using shoe-string budgets and resources.

Why motivated you to start it? What was some of the best (and worst)
experiences you had editing and writing it? What lessons did you
learn? WHy did you stop publishing WEREMAN, and would you do it
again? Finally, are there any back issues or file copies available for
those curious persons who wish to review this artifact of RPG history?

::Brian::

Brian Christopher Misiaszek

Apr 20, 2004, 11:20:12 PM4/20/04
Paul Mason <pan...@ic.nanzan-u.ac.jp> wrote in message news:<0001HW.BCAADCC7...@news.astraweb.com>...

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 0:59:18 +0900, Brian Christopher Misiaszek wrote
> (in message <89021c84.0404...@posting.google.com>):
>

> > The Beholder [ed. Nicholas Scales; A4 format, very slick, 1979-?]
>
> The Beholder may have switched to A4, but I don't believe it originally was.
>

> If Owl & Weasel is deemed suitable, then shouldn't also Steve Williams's
> Games Workshop mail order zine (Black [something]) be included?

[snip]

Thanks for these additions and corrections, Paul (and hello there!).
I'll include them in the next iteration of the list. The odd thing
is, every time I stop getting any new additions or changes and release
another listing, more zines and more corrections come flying out to me
in my in-box (grin).

Regarding your question about "Black (something)" several others have
written privately to me wondering if I should include all UK RPG
prozines or not.

As I wrote to them, I'm rather torn about the idea, so I thought I
would thow the question back to the newsgroup as a whole.

Those UK RPG prozines I had previously included seemed to have played
some important role in the UK zine scene back in the 1980s and beyond,
but their inclusion may be problematical. In the process of compiling
this listing of fanzines I was astonished to discover incredible
fecundity that was the amateur RPG zine market of the UK which few
were aware of at the time, and even fewer now today. That being said,
I'm somewhat uncertain if I should dilute the sheer mass of the
itemized listing with the inclusion of the RPG prozines.

First of all, I'm hampered having never heard of or seen some of UK
RPG prozines you list, being most familiar with White Dwarf
personally, and it would be incredible hubris and chutzpah on my part
to claim to be an authority on the matter.

Secondly, this UK RPG fanzine listing was primiarly started as a pet
project on a snowy day that I posted to this newsgroup about a year or
so ago quickly got out of hand with the enthusiatic additions and
corrections made over the year by others. While I'm certainly not the
most ideal person for this project, not being part of the then fertile
zine-scene, I've been doing my best with the help of those other
friendly persons whom I've been in touch with, and I hope that I've
doing them justice, and the zines themselves justice.

Which brings me, thirdly, in my long-winded fashion, back to the main
question: what to do about the prozines with this listing? I see two
possible options; either include the UK RPG prozines to the listing
I've been generating over the last year or so, else make an entirely
different listing only showing the prozines (at which point I either
delete the prozines from the UK fanzine's list, else show the
connection). A third option is to include them in the list, but
somehow segregate them away from the amateur fanzines.

Any suggestions from you or anyone else on what would be preferable?
And what do I do about such prozines as "White Dwarf" which were once
RPG zines and are now only devoted to WD miniatures games? When did
WD stop being an RPG zine entirely>

::Brian::

Thom

Apr 21, 2004, 5:40:37 AM4/21/04
By chance - I have three fanzine's to hand (from a recent clearout):

Dragonlords 19

and two not on your list:

Outlore 1 (1987)
The Torturer's Apprentice 2 (1984)

No idea how many issues of Outlore were produced (but the co-editor is
an old friend on mine, so I could probably find out).

I think the The Torturer's Apprentice stopped soon after issue 2.

Thom

James Wallis

Apr 21, 2004, 6:46:02 PM4/21/04
In message <89021c84.04042...@posting.google.com>, Brian
Christopher Misiaszek <mis...@mcmaster.ca> writes

>James Wallis <ja...@erstwhile.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <0001HW.BCAADCC7...@news.astraweb.com>, Paul
>> Mason <pan...@ic.nanzan-u.ac.jp> writes
>> >
>> >Wasn't this a clubzine? Windsor & Eton blah-de-blah-de-blah?
>>
>> No, it wasn't.
>
>Can you elaborate any more about WEREMAN, James? I know that you
>half-joked wanted to eradicate all evidence of its existence (at least
>I thought you were joking),

I am not joking. It is embarrassingly bad, even for juvenilia.

>but I know others are curious.

Why me, and why WEREMAN? There are several other former zine producers
participating in this thread; WEREMAN was unexceptional apart from the
age of its editor at inception (I was fourteen, which was young but not
wildly so by the standards of such things), the fact its editorial
address was that of a major British public school, and the
aforementioned astonishing badness of its early issues.

>I find
>both the topic of RPG zines interesting, and I'm curious also about
>those persons who somehow had the gumption to put together a zine
>using shoe-string budgets and resources.

Doing a fanzine in the 1980s took much the same gumption and much the
same level of budget as putting together a website does these days. The
only difficulty was finding venues to sell the things, and small-ads in
White Dwarf, the occasional convention, friendly local retailers and
indulgent mates solved that.

>Why motivated you to start it?

Ego, I think. Boredom. Having a typewriter and some Letraset.

>What was some of the best (and worst)
>experiences you had editing and writing it?

I did really badly in some important exams, because I was so busy with
the zine I forgot to revise.

>What lessons did you
>learn?

Not enough of them: see above.

>WHy did you stop publishing WEREMAN,

I began to realise how despicably, gut-wrenchingly bad the early issues
were, and wanted to divorce myself from them.

>and would you do it
>again?

I did do it again. When I got to college I started another zine called
Sound & Fury, which lasted a while. In the mid 1990s I started a
magazine called Interactive Fantasy, and shortly after that I started a
thing called Hogshead Publishing, which I ran for eight years and sold
at the beginning of 2003. Along the way I also helped to start a
magazine called Bizarre, which you can probably find on your local
news-stand, and another called Crazynet which you can't because its
publishing company went bust. I also had a column in the Sunday Times
for a while, but that's not exactly self-publishing, I know.

>Finally, are there any back issues or file copies available for
>those curious persons who wish to review this artifact of RPG history?

Uh, no. Because I'm trying to locate and destroy all remaining copies.
Because it was really bad.

--
James Wallis
ja...@erstwhile.demon.co.uk

Pete Lindsay

Apr 22, 2004, 6:42:30 PM4/22/04
Tim Ellis <t...@timellis.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I'd also like to add ArgleBargle (ed Simon Lindsey) which started out as
> a Lankhmar Star Daily subzine, became a Zine in it's own right then
> became The Brothers Grimm (ed Simon & Pete Lindsey) (or is it Lindsay?

Lindsay-Withanay if you want to resurrect an old joke...

I suppose you could count Arglebargle/The Brothers Grim as FRP related
with

i) the continuation of Rob Nott's Hurry On A Sundown
collective/interactive fiction from LSD, and

ii) the En Garde! game.

Of course if you count the EG then presumably Wallace Nicoll & Doug
Rowling's Prisoners of War would have to count as that is where I took
it over after it had migrated, I think, from Psychobabble (Mike Dean).

If you open up to one En Garde then there are lots more in the postal
games hobby of the 70-80s. Personally I think of EG! as more
rules-playing than role-playing for the purposes of defining Vintage UK
RPG Fanzines. Carrying an RPG does not an RPG Fanzine make. Though I put
quite a lot of background reading on C17 France and Louis XIV, the Sun
King (not to be confused with Louie, King of the Swingers, the Jungle
VIP) into the game reports, in much the same way as I do with real RPGs,
so the GMing experience had some similarities.

> -Pete L was the editor of drunk & Disorderly and Simon is his brother) -
> chat/rpg/postal games

Sums us up pretty neatly - me the drunk and him the chatty...

Oh, and...

iii) Postal Sorcerer's Cave - proper dungeoning that is!

--
louis...@spamcop.net.invalid but kick out the jams, make my number
roman so it won't be invalid.

Brian Christopher Misiaszek

Apr 24, 2004, 6:20:05 PM4/24/04
Hi there, James,

First of all, thanks for candid thoughts about WEREMAN. I know that I
often cringe when looking at my own jujenue writings made when I was
an adolescent. At the same time, when I look review such vintage
writings made some 20 or so years ago, I get a glimpse, a glimmer of
the enthusiasm and sense of wonder I once had as a younger gamer.
Surely you had this experience with WEREMAN, or at least with SOUND
AND FURY? [But I'm getting ahead of myself with mentioning the
latter...]

> I did do it again. When I got to college I started another zine called
> Sound & Fury, which lasted a while. In the mid 1990s I started a
> magazine called Interactive Fantasy, and shortly after that I started a
> thing called Hogshead Publishing, which I ran for eight years and sold
> at the beginning of 2003. Along the way I also helped to start a
> magazine called Bizarre, which you can probably find on your local
> news-stand, and another called Crazynet which you can't because its
> publishing company went bust. I also had a column in the Sunday Times
> for a while, but that's not exactly self-publishing, I know.

Nod. I also remember you writing off and on in A&E, and knew a little
about your RPG writing accomplishments even then.

As the topic is vintage UK fanzines (grin), could you also expand a
little on your more kindly remembered zine, SOUND AND FURY (SAF)?

I know Spike Y Jones via A&E, and he liked it and even contributed to
it, but all I know about SOUND AND FURY I included in a single line in
the listing. What what SAF about, and why the name (ditto for
WEREMAN)? How many issues? What RPG topics? Are you happy at what you
accomplished with it? Finally, why did you wrap it up?

::Brian::

P.S. As for singling you and WEREMAN out, James, I'm only doing this
out of sheer ignorance, and a need to start *somewhere* to scratch at
my itch of curiousity.

I know Paul Mason of IMAZINE (and more recently FLUXUS in A&E), and
Pete Lindsay of drunk & disorderly follow this Usenet group as well.
Perhaps they too could be tempted to write just a little on their own
earlier fanzine contributions just as you so generously did?

Pete Lindsay

Apr 25, 2004, 11:34:37 AM4/25/04
Brian Christopher Misiaszek <mis...@mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> Pete Lindsay of drunk & disorderly follow this Usenet group as well.
> Perhaps they too could be tempted to write just a little on their own
> earlier fanzine contributions

Where to start? It isn't really The Beginning but if we just take my
involvement with zines in general (all dates approximate and unchecked):

1973: started university in St Andrews (Scotland) and fell in with the
postal Diplomacy scene. St Andrews had been home to Brian Yare's Grafeti
until he was thrown out, it is said, for printing off game maps on the
Astronomy Dept's plotter (and, more to the point, their expensive
paper). As I arrived Duncan Morris started Frigate and Jon Lettice
[namedrop alert: The Register] arrived already running The Bolshevic
Star. I offered to run a game in Frigate in return for free issues.
Start of a slippery slope.

1975: started the university Wargames Society (still going as Games Soc
I see).

Sometime in 75-6 I'd played my first D&D game at a house dip/games con
in Derby.

1976-8: started running my own dip zine, Bron Yr Aur, somewhere in this
period. Mimeo duplicated. No FRP beyond the Downfall (of the Lord of the
Rings) Diplomacy variant and postal Sorcerer's Cave (I think - I'd have
to rummage in the box room to check). I was also playing En Garde! in
Allan Ovens' game in Chimaera, and running my own chat/press column
there, loosely based on the game and anything could make up to pad out
the stencil.

D&D games were the standard knockabout/skirmish fill-in for absorbing
the spare bodies at WarSoc who hadn't brought a game themselves. I think
I was reading News From Bree, and perhaps Trollcrusher, for Ideas.

1977-78: other people started running D&D games in St Andrews - and
taking it seriously as a game form in its own right rather than
something to do if there wasn't anything better... how odd.

Summer 1978: Graduated, hanging around St Andrews looking for a job -
but not very hard. Flatmates are gamers - Glover Rogerson, later of
Denver Glont Dip (& lots else) zine fame - who is buying Underworld
Oracle along with back-issues of The Strategic Review and early Dragons.
The other one in the flat was Philly Davey who'd been at school with a
chap called Pete Tamlyn who was running FRP in Southampton. He came up
to visit so I started playing in the Baja campaign that soon after
formed the core of The Acolyte's FRP coverage. I'm sure in my own mind
that seeing me hacking away at BYA inspired Pete's later efforts... FRP
is definately serious stuff by now.

January 1979: Started work in Edinburgh - as a civil service programmer
there was lots of spare time for FRP development.

1979-80: By now my committment to Diplomacy and non-FRP gaming was
distinctly on the wane. Leaving St Andrews though had separated me from
most of the games and discussion despite the odd return for weekend
games. What to do?

_drunk & disorderly_ was started primarily to keep the St Andrews gamers
of the 78-80 period in touch with the games we'd left behind. The
original idea was to carry campaign reports and background articles (a)
so we could step back into the game at house cons when we met up again,
and (b) persuade the GMs to provide some documentation for the games.
Hence the APA format. Originally the mimeo zine was half-intended to be
broken up and filed by game. Dropped BYA as d&d took off.

Mid 1980s: Wallace Nicoll, who'd been in the late-70s St Andrews gamers,
and Doug Rowling, who'd been at Southampton with Pete Tamlyn, find
themselves sharing a flat in Glasgow and start Prisoners of War, a
postal games zine, which rescues an orphan En Garde! game. After another
GM lets them down I'm roped in to take it over and run it down to a
natural finish. I don't remember clearly but I assume it was all
arranged at one of the monthly-ish 'hobbymeets' we used to have in those
days for chat about games - postal and frp. It was an excuse for people
to come across from Glasgow/Edinburgh to crash on my floor for a couple
of nights before an FRP game on Saturday evening and/or Sunday
afternoon. Other hobbymeets existed around the UK and were a
face-to-face social counterpoint to the zines, acting as a beer-fueled
launching pad to more than one I suspect.

Unfortunately the pressure of running a regular, fixed deadline EG! game
burnt my spare time and contributed fairly directly to the shutdown of
drunk & disorderly when the time between issues stretched inordinately.
A knock-on effect was the eventual demise of the New Jerusalem campaign
which was the core of my own contribution: articles on the game
background; tales heavily bowdlerised, of players' doings; thoughts on
systems. I suppose it became "only a game" with no wider platform to
drive it.

1990s: The En Garde! game outlasted Prisoners of War, transferred to my
brother Simon's Arglebargle postal games and chat zine, which then
became known as The Brothers Grim. EG! shut its doors in the later 1990s
when parenthood took over Simon's time and I didn't feel like carrying
the EG! independently - I'd DONE 'zine editing and deadlines fairly
thoroughly after all. Never again.

Mid-Late 1990s: So of course freed from EG! the next thing I do is try,
with Gavin Greig (from the later-80s wave of St Andrews gamers, mapmaker
extraordinary to drunk & disorderly and my New Jerusalem game) to do a
new FRP zine: Ivory, Peacocks and Apes. The late 90s are not the early
80s it turns out. You can't go back and revisit old successes - people
are politely interested, but the slightly polished up formula of drunk &
disorderly (free issue for an article and we'll type and set it) doesn't
attract much input. Perhaps if we'd persisted and were prepared to do
more ourselves, but he's doing a phd, I'm getting involved in
community-level politics...

2004: So the nearest I came to 'zine production at the moment is writing
the minutes for The Royal Burgh of St Andrews Community Council to
strict monthly deadlines [dammit!] - one of which approaches rapidly as
I write so you're only getting all this as it's an excuse to skive off
'work'.

* My take on the demise of the zine is that we're that much cash-richer
and time-poorer than we were. So on one hand we don't have time to
produce zine content (most of us - all hail those who do), and would
rather pay money for glossy, professional level content. The social
networking aspect of the 'zine scene is certainly overtaken by the net
and the ubiqity of mobile phones even. Why wait a couple of month for a
'zine news update o products/friends when you can phone, email or
google?

In the 70s I'd promise to run a game (that didn't exist and I'd have to
invent) to save myself maybe 10p/month subscription out of my sub-£400pa
student grant [Datapoint: a pint of beer cost 13p]. Printing was
relatively difficult and expensive so it was easy to be impressed with
whatever anyone turned out - and therefore worth the time an effort to
produce something.

Cheers!
--
louis...@spamcop.net but kick out the jams and make my number roman

Robin Low

Apr 26, 2004, 2:17:24 PM4/26/04
Brian asked me for details of some prozines I suggested he think about
adding. I've sent him the following, but I don't have all the details.
If anyone can add to my sketchy information, I'd be grateful.

Imagine - published by TSR UK; edited by Keith Thompson and Paul
Cockburn; went at least to issue 30 (the latest I have) and I think
there might have been an Imagine Special. A magazine of the 80s.

Adventurer - published every two months by Mersey Leisure Publishing;
edited by Ste Dillon; ran to at least issue 11 (fairly certain this was
the last issue). A magazine of the 80s.

(In terms of nostalgia value, Imagine and Adventurer are on a par with
old White Dwarf, for me.)

Fantasy Chronicles - published by an Irish company and didn't last too
long. Marcus Rowland may know more, as I seem to recall from an old, old
thread on this group that he's still owed money for some of his
articles. A magazine of the 80s.

Games Master - no details; it may have been cancelled or just mutated
into the computer magazine of the same name that still exists. A
magazine of the very late 80s. Pretty poor stuff from what I remember.

Arcane - went to issue 19, or possibly 20. I only have the pullout
scenarios, so I can't offer any other details. A magazine of the 90s.

Role Player Independent (RPI) - can't remember the details. A magazine
of the 90s.

Valkyrie - may still be going, but I haven't seen a copy for a long
time. A magazine of the 90s and 00s.

Signs and Portents - published by Mongoose Publishing; still going, not
sure of the current issue.

Regards

Robin
--
Robin Low

ed

Apr 27, 2004, 4:42:41 AM4/27/04
The noble Paul Mason <pan...@ic.nanzan-u.ac.jp> spake on the day of
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:57:27 +0900:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 0:59:18 +0900, Brian Christopher Misiaszek wrote
>(in message <89021c84.0404...@posting.google.com>):
>

>> The Beholder [ed. Nicholas Scales; A4 format, very slick, 1979-?]
>
>The Beholder may have switched to A4, but I don't believe it originally was.

The Beholder started off as A5. It only became A4 when it was bought out
somewhere about issue 25 and became "The New Beholder"

there were two original publishers. The names that come to mind are Guy
Duke and Graham Staplehurst, not too sure about the second though. It
was published in Leatherhead in Surrey until being bought over.

ed
--
edh...@equus.demon.co.uk | Dragons Rescued | _////
http://www.equus.demon.co.uk/ | Maidens Slain | o_/o ///

ed

Apr 27, 2004, 4:45:04 AM4/27/04
The noble mis...@mcmaster.ca (Brian Christopher Misiaszek) spake on the
day of 17 Apr 2004 08:59:18 -0700:

>Alarums & Excursions [A&E] [ed. Lee Gold, aka "A&E", monthly US
>APA-zine with many UK and other international contributors, started in
>1975, and active as of 2004 having missed only *one* month during this
>extremely lengthy run]

Surely this isn't a UK fanzine but a US APAzine, as you should know all
too well?

Brian Christopher Misiaszek

Apr 27, 2004, 6:16:52 PM4/27/04
ed <edh...@equus.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<hb7s80l4vm3umdbfe...@4ax.com>...

> The noble mis...@mcmaster.ca (Brian Christopher Misiaszek) spake on the
> day of 17 Apr 2004 08:59:18 -0700:
>
> >Alarums & Excursions [A&E] [ed. Lee Gold, aka "A&E", monthly US
> >APA-zine with many UK and other international contributors, started in
> >1975, and active as of 2004 having missed only *one* month during this
> >extremely lengthy run]
>
> Surely this isn't a UK fanzine but a US APAzine, as you should know all
> too well?

Hi there, Ed!

As I mentioned above in the section you quoted, it *is* a monthly US
APAzine edited by an American, but since A&Es content in the past
included so many UK contributors (including yourself, if I recall
correctly!) with their various sub-zines, and other submissions, that
I thought to ignore their RPG contributions would be a disservice.

In this instance, I feel strongly that the place of orgin of the RPG
writers should count for *something*, hence their inclusion.

These days, there are far fewer UK based contributors to A&E (or
ex-pat UKers), but those grognards (hmm...is that the right word?
grin) have such a strong presence that to deny them their due would be
a little silly.

Off the top of my head, I can think of Steve Gilham, Michael Cule,
Simon Reeve and Paul Mason as steady and reliable UK contributors to
A&E, and their total summated page count would be up to at least 20%
of each issue. The fractional contribution would have been higher,
but Robert Rees, known from his zine Carnel, has (sadly) withdrawn his
writings over the last few months.

If others vote on eliminating it, I'll exclude this single item from
the next listing. Additionally, as you may be able to see from my
April 27th update, I have since took out The Dungeoneer from the
listing (see the most recent listing) and I'm now strongly wondering
about whether to delete the APA The Wild Hunt or not, too.

Thanks for your feedback!

::Brian::

Paul Mason

Apr 27, 2004, 7:09:18 PM4/27/04
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:42:41 +0100, ed <edh...@equus.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>The Beholder started off as A5. It only became A4 when it was bought out
>somewhere about issue 25 and became "The New Beholder"
>
>there were two original publishers. The names that come to mind are Guy
>Duke and Graham Staplehurst, not too sure about the second though. It
>was published in Leatherhead in Surrey until being bought over.

Guy Duke is correct, but Graham was never the editor of the Beholder.

Cheers

Paul

Andy and Sue

Apr 28, 2004, 3:29:54 PM4/28/04
Mike Stoner was the other editor of The Beholder.

Andy
"Paul Mason" <pan...@tcp-ip.or.jp> wrote in message

Brian Duguid

May 6, 2004, 3:29:16 AM5/6/04
On 17 Apr 2004 08:59:18 -0700, mis...@mcmaster.ca (Brian Christopher
Misiaszek) wrote:

>Blue Shaboo [ed. Brian Duguid; "rolegame" zine]

>Centurian ["sequel" to Blue Shaboo #2]

Centurion was actually issue #3; Blue Shaboo was #2; Angel was issue
#1.

Then it went Dear Whoever; Everything You Always Wanted To Know About
Shaboos but Were Afraid to Ask; Finale; don't recall what G was; H was
L Ron Hubbard Fanclub Newsletter (don't recall exact title); I was If
In Doubt; there were further in the series but increasingly detached
from the original zine concept.

I'd suggest only list Blue Shaboo, and I'm happy with Paul Mason's
suggestion that it be described as a personal or chat zine.

Brian Duguid

daverobi...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2016, 10:55:34 AM10/5/16
Theatre of Pain was mine, yes, and I was involved in Demon's Drawl right up until the time of the evangelical conversions, which I was thankfully immune to. I have a box of old fanzines in my parents' loft. I'm living in Spain now but next time I'm over I will dig them out and see what I have there. Haven't looked at them for years!

daverobi...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2016, 10:58:08 AM10/5/16
Oh and feel free to ask me any questions about this stuff. I was pretty involved for quite a few years...

Ryan Morgan

Aug 7, 2022, 8:23:02 PM8/7/22
Brian et al.

I've recently discovered the awesomeness that is early-era fanzines in the past 2 years and have been trying to collect all that I can find. I found this discussion string and it looks you all are of similar mindset, so I wanted to reach out and see if we could connect. I'd be glad to share anything I can from the modest collection I've managed to put together and certainly look forward to a chance to talk with others who know a lot more than I do.

Best and cheers,
Ryan

Ryan Morgan

Aug 7, 2022, 11:18:00 PM8/7/22
I've just started collecting fanzines, and there are quite a few of the vintage UK fanzines out there. I have a few issues of Demon's Drawl. I'd be interest to connect and discuss if you are willing (and if this email link still works).
Cheers,
Ryan

Serah Elliott

Nov 4, 2022, 1:07:41 AM11/4/22
The UK RPG fanzine scene is something I kind of missed out on entirely.
I know you were hoping to *get* information, but do you have anywhere
you would recommend for another interested newcomer to start looking?
I'll start by looking up the ones already discussed in your article, of
course.

Ryan Morgan (Mountaineer)

Nov 26, 2023, 2:48:19 PM11/26/23
Serah - I came back to this thread today and saw your note from a year ago. Last year, I started doing videos devoted to talking about early era fanzines on my YouTube channel. I think if you do a search for "Fanzine Friday" you should find these videos. If not shoot me a note and I'll put a link here.