How to join a Clan? etc

paul.c...@fluffy0.demon.co.uk

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99

As a newcomer to this Quake2 multiplay stuff, I am curious as to how you
become a clan member and what sort of commitments are involved (1 match a
week, 10 matches a week etc?). Do they generaly advertise on this newsgroup
when a new member is required?

I was playing CTF heavily this weekend on BW and other various servers that
cropped up in Gamespy, and didn't seem to be doing too badly most of the time,
there were plenty of clan members doing worse :)

Paul
AKA StarQuake
ICQ 32921005

Rob Crossland

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
paul.c...@fluffy0.demon.co.uk wrote in article
<7eca7n$8u3$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> Hi,
>
> As a newcomer to this Quake2 multiplay stuff, I am curious as to how you
> become a clan member and what sort of commitments are involved (1 match a
> week, 10 matches a week etc?). Do they generaly advertise on this
newsgroup
> when a new member is required?

Check out this and other ng's for clan ad's. Most will request a trial to
test you out etc. Commitment wise? Depends on the size of the clan and your
availability really. We have two praccies a week, various friendlies and
savage league games. It can get pretty hectic but if the clan is big enough
it shouldn't be too bad. Last piece of advice - don't take it too
seriously, have a laff.
hth,
[SPAM]paNts

Glyn Royds

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
In message <7eca7n$8u3$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>
paul.c...@fluffy0.demon.co.uk wrote:

> As a newcomer to this Quake2 multiplay stuff, I am curious as to how you
> become a clan member and what sort of commitments are involved (1 match

You get nagged into it by Genius ;-)

> a week, 10 matches a week etc?). Do they generaly advertise on this
> newsgroup when a new member is required?

Stuffed if I know but on clanbase I've signed up for 2 matches this
week - one clanwar (lithium HOOORAAAH!) and on praccy (dm BOOOO!)

Generally speaking if a clan are recruiting they'll either spot you
on a public server, judge how you're doing, invite you to try out
if they rate you and that's it.

Don't know where the other leagues are but www.clanbase.com lists
clans that are recruiting. You could also check www.ukccl.co.uk

[FF]Leeloo wishes you all the best.

--
_ __ __ All views expressed in news postings are
/ '/ __ /_/__ __//_ my own and may have no relation whatsoever

Comatosed

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99

<snip>

>We have two praccies a week, various friendlies and
>savage league games. It can get pretty hectic but if the clan is big enough
>it shouldn't be too bad. Last piece of advice - don't take it too
>seriously, have a laff.
>hth,
>[SPAM]paNts

But you buggers couldn't put out a full team for my HPB chaps at the UKCCL
HPB cup last night could you ;o)

Comatosed [CFH] - ICQ 8503080
comatosed@_NOSPAM_bigfoot.com
#cfh, #ukgamer, #ukq2a

Mark Rowe

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
On Tue, 06 Apr 1999 06:39:52 GMT, paul.c...@fluffy0.demon.co.uk
wrote:

>Hi,

>As a newcomer to this Quake2 multiplay stuff, I am curious as to how you

>become a clan member and what sort of commitments are involved (1 match a

>week, 10 matches a week etc?). Do they generaly advertise on this newsgroup
>when a new member is required?
>

>I was playing CTF heavily this weekend on BW and other various servers that
>cropped up in Gamespy, and didn't seem to be doing too badly most of the time,
>there were plenty of clan members doing worse :)
>
>Paul
>AKA StarQuake
>ICQ 32921005

A couple of places to go are;

http://www.barrysworld.com/clanlist/

http://dtank.quake2.co.uk/antichamber

Comitment and loyalty are 2 essential requiremente as well as
skill....

Regards
_________________
[eXe]L.Fly

[SPAM]Musashi

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
Comatosed wrote in message <7ecjov$2gd$1...@starburst.uk.insnet.net>...

>But you buggers couldn't put out a full team for my HPB chaps at the UKCCL
>HPB cup last night could you ;o)
>
>Comatosed [CFH] - ICQ 8503080

Damn :(

Sorry guys - that is partly my fault. I had a choice to make last night,
and I went down the FSB road
(mind you, it was a storming game)
--

[SPAM]Musashi aka Shaft[FSB] aka UK}Guvnor

If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that
considered a hostage situation?
rich...@nospam.tgis.co.uk
ICQ 15714941
http://www.barrysworld.com/clanSPAM/
http://www.readingjitsu.freeserve.co.uk/
http://www.whitefriars.demon.co.uk/Clan/HTML/clan2.html

Matthew Brechin

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
> I was playing CTF heavily this weekend on BW and other various servers
that
> cropped up in Gamespy, and didn't seem to be doing too badly most of the
time,
> there were plenty of clan members doing worse :)
>
> Paul
> AKA StarQuake
> ICQ 32921005

Hi, I saw you about at the weekend - I was playing crap as usual. Did anyone
notice terrible lag yesterday before 6pm? It was terrible - thankfully it
was ok by 6:30 for me:)

Anyway - public CTF is very different from clan games. There is almost no
teamwork/teamplay going on and degenerates into a FFA with a couple of flags
unless you are playing on a server with lots of clanned peeps, then it is a
bit better.

Ask on the server is anyone is recruiting + look at the site others have
suggested. A few clans advertise on the Savage boardroom -
http://www.lanparty.co.uk/savage - click on the top 'G' and choose savage
general.

Good luck!
--

Matt aka [TJD]OxTales

'Big' Ron Atkinson after a game with the national team on a tour of China:
"They're not bad, but they have a couple of chinks in their defence"

*change ca to ac*
matt.b...@materials.ox.ca.uk
ICQ# 17451000

Rob Crossland

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
Comatosed <comatosed@_NOSPAM_bigfoot.com> wrote in article
<7ecjov$2gd$1...@starburst.uk.insnet.net>...

> But you buggers couldn't put out a full team for my HPB chaps at the
UKCCL
> HPB cup last night could you ;o)
>
> Comatosed [CFH] - ICQ 8503080

> comatosed@_NOSPAM_bigfoot.com
> #cfh, #ukgamer, #ukq2a

Sorry about that m8, hadn't realised we had let you down. We've had some
changes recently and our comms links are obviously a bit on the
sssssllllloooooww side at the mo.
paNts

Comatosed

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
No problem, was just a friendly jibe ;o)

jason french

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
> Hi,
>
> As a newcomer to this Quake2 multiplay stuff, I am curious as to how you
> become a clan member and what sort of commitments are involved (1 match a
> week, 10 matches a week etc?). Do they generaly advertise on this
newsgroup
> when a new member is required?

Lots of clans advertise for members on this ng, if you apply to one you
usually have to duel someone (ugggh) or do a trial period to prove your
worth.

Alternatively if you are half decent people will sometimes ask you to join
their clan when they play against you on a public server.

A lot of Clans have developed a habit of practising in the 8pm to 9.30pm
time range once / twice on weekdays. Unfortunate as this has a nasty habit
of colliding with pub time. I wonder if there are any drinker friendly
clans out there who hold their mid-week practises after closing time ?

A lot of clan league matches take place on sunday evenings, <gasp>. Sunday
is a day of rest, it is a holy day.........and apart from all that bullshit
its also imperative to go down the pub for the evening to drown your
sorrows about having to go work on monday ;-)

--
jas aka
RepulsioN

A1masachist

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99

jason french wrote in message <01be80e2$72e188a0$88010064@jfrench>...

>A lot of Clans have developed a habit of practising in the 8pm to 9.30pm
>time range once / twice on weekdays. Unfortunate as this has a nasty habit
>of colliding with pub time. I wonder if there are any drinker friendly
>clans out there who hold their mid-week practises after closing time ?

there are none that I know of. Altho' it'd be very well attended. I always
feel like a good game of Q2 after the pub, (only 10 weeks till I move house
and get a proper phone line so I can play online!!!! YAY)
Hows about we start a new pub clan...summat like
[NRNID] not right now I'm Drinking

or

[IYR,WM?] It's your round....who me?

L8r

A1MAsachist

jason french

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
A1masachist <A1mas...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<7el9pg$oo$1...@bignews.shef.ac.uk>...

ROFL....

Best idea ive heard clan wise in ages. Just think every time we play all we
would have to do would be to connect say hello then fuck off down the pub
leaving [NRNID]RepulsioN sitting at the bottom of the frag table still
connected. When we return from the pub a couple hours later we can check
the logfile to see how weve been doing then disconnect.

--
jas aka
RepulsioN