UK pub numbers rise!

已查看 12 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Joyce Whitchurch

未读,
2020年1月16日 12:44:122020/1/16
收件人
"The number of UK pubs and bars increased for the first time in a decade during 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics. The total number rose by 315, or 0.8 per cent, last year to 39,130, driven by food sales."

(from the BBC news website at <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51135755>)

I'm intrigued, not least because I didn't know the ONS kept statistics like this. And they're broken down to some extent by size of pub, or more accurately, by number of staff, which seems a reasonable proxy for, say, floor area.
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================

Offramp

未读,
2020年1月16日 13:45:362020/1/16
收件人
some good news

Kerr-Mudd,John

未读,
2020年1月16日 15:49:062020/1/16
收件人
It'll be down to the "pokey" micropub-type things.
The ONS figures may include restaurants with a license; which to my mind
is a change of use; but not as far as planning application departments
are concerned.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Joyce Whitchurch

未读,
2020年1月17日 05:15:202020/1/17
收件人
On Thursday, 16 January 2020 20:49:06 UTC, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

> It'll be down to the "pokey" micropub-type things.
> The ONS figures may include restaurants with a license; which to my mind
> is a change of use; but not as far as planning application departments
> are concerned.

I know what you mean about "restaurants with beer", but as long as I can go in, buy a pint, and say "not today, thanks!" to the inevitable "will you be dining with us?", then it's still a pub to me.

Kerr-Mudd,John

未读,
2020年1月19日 08:16:372020/1/19
收件人
On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 10:15:18 GMT, Joyce Whitchurch
<joyce.wh...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 16 January 2020 20:49:06 UTC, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
>>
>> It'll be down to the "pokey" micropub-type things.
>> The ONS figures may include restaurants with a license; which to my
>> mind is a change of use; but not as far as planning application
>> departments are concerned.
>
> I know what you mean about "restaurants with beer", but as long as I
> can go in, buy a pint, and say "not today, thanks!" to the inevitable
> "will you be dining with us?", then it's still a pub to me.

I feel it's lost all of the characteristics of a pub that I would want to
visit for a drink and a chat; YMMV.
0 个新帖子