CBOB

Simon Cooper

Aug 13, 2018, 3:22:36 PM8/13/18
This year's Champion Beer of Britain announcement...
http://www.camra.org.uk/press-releases/-/asset_publisher/CfaqMGfKvAEU/content/siren-s-broken-dream-breakfast-stout-is-named-the-best-in-britain

There's an error in there though, "All finalists across each category will be available to sample at the Great British Beer Festival taking place this week" should read "All finalists will be sold out within 20 mins of this notice at the Great British Beer Festival taking place this week"...

My parents help pour the beers for the blind tasting that the panel judge the finalists on...but what they couldn't answer me was how a Greene King beer got to that final, even if it is the little seen mild.

Berkshire seems to be doing well with stouts.

Joyce Whitchurch

Aug 17, 2018, 12:43:59 PM8/17/18
On Monday, 13 August 2018 20:22:36 UTC+1, Simon Cooper wrote:

> My parents help pour the beers for the blind tasting that the panel judge the finalists on...but what they couldn't answer me was how a Greene King beer got to that final, even if it is the little seen mild.

Well, part of the answer is the blind tastings at regional festivals, which select the entries for the national competition. And another part of the answer is that CAMRA members can nominate beers for the competition.

Perhaps your experience of GK beers is slightly coloured by the ability or otherwise of GK pub managers to look after the stuff sent out by the brewery.
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================

Kerr-Mudd,John

Aug 17, 2018, 2:45:19 PM8/17/18
On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 16:43:58 GMT, Joyce Whitchurch
<joyce.wh...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 13 August 2018 20:22:36 UTC+1, Simon Cooper wrote:
>>
>> My parents help pour the beers for the blind tasting that the panel
>> judge the finalists on...but what they couldn't answer me was how a
>> Greene King beer got to that final, even if it is the little seen
>> mild.
>
> Well, part of the answer is the blind tastings at regional festivals,
> which select the entries for the national competition. And another
> part of the answer is that CAMRA members can nominate beers for the
> competition.
>
> Perhaps your experience of GK beers is slightly coloured by the
> ability or otherwise of GK pub managers to look after the stuff sent
> out by the brewery.

Once, sometime after GK IPA got silver, I tried some somewhere in Dorset,
IIRC; I found it had subtle qualities that I found OK. Some Other beers
are competing purely on Big Hit of Hops, ISTM.
Disclaimer: today I had a half of Hop Gun from 3D brewery.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Joyce Whitchurch

Aug 18, 2018, 12:46:27 PM8/18/18
On Friday, 17 August 2018 19:45:19 UTC+1, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

> Once, sometime after GK IPA got silver, I tried some somewhere in Dorset,
> IIRC; I found it had subtle qualities that I found OK. Some Other beers
> are competing purely on Big Hit of Hops, ISTM.

IPA in the right pub can still be a fine drink, if you're not a hop addict. I still have fond memories of a long session on nothing but GK's IPA in the Skinners Arms near London St Pancras.