Birmingham £5 a pint spotted

Kerr Mudd-John

Jan 17, 2016, 6:17:42 AM1/17/16

Craven Arms in a rundown/new build part at the back of New Street station!

http://www.blackcountryales.co.uk/the-pubs/the-craven-arms/

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Offramp

Jan 17, 2016, 12:34:19 PM1/17/16
On Sunday, 17 January 2016 11:17:42 UTC, Kerr Mudd-John wrote:
> Craven Arms in a rundown/new build part at the back of New Street station!
>
> http://www.blackcountryales.co.uk/the-pubs/the-craven-arms/

A fiver! I haven't seen a £5 pint in London yet!

Simon Cooper

Jan 17, 2016, 3:02:59 PM1/17/16
Have already seen the fiver a pint violated in Sheffield, of all places. Sheffield Tap in the station, fantastic place otherwise, but all the hype is going to their heads it seems. Beer in question wasn't even some imported yankee cask ale or other exotic, was some stronger English beer that certainly didn't warrant it in my mind.

Zephirum

Jan 17, 2016, 9:38:46 PM1/17/16

"Kerr Mudd-John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> Craven Arms in a rundown/new build part at the back of New Street station!
>
> http://www.blackcountryales.co.uk/the-pubs/the-craven-arms/

Bloody hell I can get a pint in an expensive tourist bar in Dublin cheaper
than that, not tha I do of course but pay around ¤4.70 in an average bar.

--
Sailing against the wind

joyce.wh...@btinternet.com

Jan 18, 2016, 5:34:15 AM1/18/16
On Monday, 18 January 2016 02:38:46 UTC, Zephirum wrote:

> I can get a pint in an expensive tourist bar in Dublin cheaper
> than that, not tha I do of course but pay around ¤4.70 in an average bar.

I visited the Porterhouse in Dublin's trendy Temple Bar area last week. It was charging EUR 5.50 a pint for most of its own brews and just 5 euros for their excellent plain porter. Perhaps not technically "real ale" as defined by this ng, but at today's rate of exchange, EUR 5.50 translates to just GBP 4.20.
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================

Zephirum

Jan 18, 2016, 7:59:19 AM1/18/16

<joyce.wh...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
On Monday, 18 January 2016 02:38:46 UTC, Zephirum wrote:

> I can get a pint in an expensive tourist bar in Dublin cheaper
> than that, not tha I do of course but pay around ¤4.70 in an average bar.

I visited the Porterhouse in Dublin's trendy Temple Bar area last week. It
was charging EUR 5.50 a pint for most of its own brews and just 5 euros for
their excellent plain porter. Perhaps not technically "real ale" as defined
by this ng, but at today's rate of exchange, EUR 5.50 translates to just GBP
4.20.

The Brew Dock (which is a Galway Brewery hose) isjust down the road from me
near Bus Aras and Luas stop and sells many real ales at about ?5.50
including usually at least one hand pulled.

awavey

Jan 18, 2016, 4:51:20 PM1/18/16
In article <48454b0d-1810-47a9...@googlegroups.com>, joyce.wh...@btinternet.com wrote:
>On Monday, 18 January 2016 02:38:46 UTC, Zephirum wrote:
>>=20
>> I can get a pint in an expensive tourist bar in Dublin cheaper=20
>> than that, not tha I do of course but pay around =A44.70 in an average b=
>ar.
>
>I visited the Porterhouse in Dublin's trendy Temple Bar area last week. It =
>was charging EUR 5.50 a pint for most of its own brews and just 5 euros for=
> their excellent plain porter. Perhaps not technically "real ale" as define=
>d by this ng, but at today's rate of exchange, EUR 5.50 translates to just =
>GBP 4.20.
>--=20

felt sure I was paying EUR 6 for Guinness in Dublin nearly 6 years ago which
would have made it about GBP 4.20 even back then. Ive certainly paid GBP5 for
a pint in London recently, Id have said GBP4.60 to GBP4.70 is the average, but
I know some of the newer craft bars charge GBP 6

Davey

Jan 18, 2016, 6:28:00 PM1/18/16
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 02:34:15 -0800 (PST)
joyce.wh...@btinternet.com wrote:

> On Monday, 18 January 2016 02:38:46 UTC, Zephirum wrote:
> >
> > I can get a pint in an expensive tourist bar in Dublin cheaper
> > than that, not tha I do of course but pay around ¤4.70 in an
> > average bar.
>
> I visited the Porterhouse in Dublin's trendy Temple Bar area last
> week. It was charging EUR 5.50 a pint for most of its own brews and
> just 5 euros for their excellent plain porter. Perhaps not
> technically "real ale" as defined by this ng, but at today's rate of
> exchange, EUR 5.50 translates to just GBP 4.20.

A soldier friend based in Woolwich reports £5 pints there.

--
Davey.

Zephirum

Jan 18, 2016, 10:52:07 PM1/18/16

"awavey" <awa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> felt sure I was paying EUR 6 for Guinness in Dublin nearly 6 years ago
> which
> would have made it about GBP 4.20 even back then. Ive certainly paid GBP5
> for
> a pint in London recently, Id have said GBP4.60 to GBP4.70 is the average,
> but
> I know some of the newer craft bars charge GBP 6

You could well have paid that back then, the recession here has dropped
quite a few overpriced places off the market or at least moderated their
prices.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Oct 7, 2017, 5:30:55 PM10/7/17
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 10:34:15 -0000, <joyce.wh...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 18 January 2016 02:38:46 UTC, Zephirum wrote:
>>
>> I can get a pint in an expensive tourist bar in Dublin cheaper
>> than that, not tha I do of course but pay around ¤4.70 in an average bar.
>
> I visited the Porterhouse in Dublin's trendy Temple Bar area last week. It was charging EUR 5.50 a pint for most of its own brews and just 5 euros for their excellent plain porter. Perhaps not technically "real ale" as defined by this ng, but at today's rate of exchange, EUR 5.50 translates to just GBP 4.20.

Not now it doesn't.