Looking for London Grill

The Mullen

May 26, 2006, 1:18:25 PM5/26/06
Does anyone remember this breakfast-in-a-tin (beans, sausage, bacon,
kidney and a splash of brown sauce); HP use to make it and I know
they've bean taken over by Heinz - question is, can you still get it?

Good luck

congokid

May 26, 2006, 1:36:33 PM5/26/06
In article <1148663905....@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, The
Mullen <singh_d...@boltblue.com> writes

>Does anyone remember this breakfast-in-a-tin (beans, sausage, bacon,
>kidney and a splash of brown sauce); HP use to make it and I know
>they've bean taken over by Heinz - question is, can you still get it?

No - I don't remember that.

But I do remember a friend serving up baked beans encased in sausage
meat (like a Scotch egg but with beans). They were packaged and probably
came from the deep freezer at Iceland. Incredibly disgusting they were,
too.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Owain

May 26, 2006, 3:39:21 PM5/26/06

I remember seeing the product on the supermarket shelves, but I wouldn't
dignify it with the description "breakfast-in-a-tin".

Owain

The Mullen

May 26, 2006, 5:41:01 PM5/26/06

No, not that one. I've seen that with bits of torn omlette. Yuk!

I want the original London Girll and I want it yesterday.

Ophelia

May 26, 2006, 5:51:43 PM5/26/06

"The Mullen" <singh_d...@boltblue.com> wrote in message

> No, not that one. I've seen that with bits of torn omlette. Yuk!
>
> I want the original London Girll and I want it yesterday.

Well bugger off and find it!

The Mullen

May 26, 2006, 7:00:53 PM5/26/06

Saucy mare

Richard Dixon

May 27, 2006, 10:50:02 AM5/27/06

> Does anyone remember this breakfast-in-a-tin (beans, sausage, bacon,
> kidney and a splash of brown sauce); HP use to make it and I know
> they've bean taken over by Heinz - question is, can you still get it?

Google is your friend.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=heinz+AND+%22london+grill%22&meta=
??

Richard

The Mullen

May 27, 2006, 12:49:40 PM5/27/06

Dear friend, that didn't help. None of the links actually feature
London Girll, not even the Heinz one.

Good luck!

bof

May 29, 2006, 11:52:47 AM5/29/06
In message <1148663905....@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, The
Mullen <singh_d...@boltblue.com> writes

>Does anyone remember this breakfast-in-a-tin (beans, sausage, bacon,
>kidney and a splash of brown sauce); HP use to make it and I know
>they've bean taken over by Heinz - question is, can you still get it?

I had a sense of deja vu about this . . . you're still looking after two
years? Is there something about this time of year that makes you fancy a
can?

--
Due to the very painful lack of quoting Google promotes, all Usenet
posts originating from Google users are now deleted unseen, this means

The Mullen

May 29, 2006, 6:28:25 PM5/29/06

Hallo, we're doing a 70's night at home, hence the requirement for
faggots, London Grill, Angel Delight and those Vesta meals. Plus, if
only I could get Double Diamond beer, that would be a big help,
otherwise Harp will do.

Good luck!

Owain

May 29, 2006, 6:50:53 PM5/29/06
The Mullen wrote:
> Hallo, we're doing a 70's night at home, hence the requirement for
> faggots, London Grill, Angel Delight and those Vesta meals. Plus, if
> only I could get Double Diamond beer, that would be a big help,
> otherwise Harp will do.

Angel D. and Vesta meals are still available in my local Tesco.

But why not go upmarket with prawn cocktail in a scooped-out avocado,
and black forest gateau or Arctic Roll for puds?

Owain

The Reid

May 30, 2006, 7:01:00 AM5/30/06
Following up to Owain

>But why not go upmarket with prawn cocktail in a scooped-out avocado,

why not, it tastes great!
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

Barry

May 30, 2006, 7:20:16 AM5/30/06

"Owain" <owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> wrote in message

washed down with a coctail of cream soda and Blue
Nun......................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Mullen

May 30, 2006, 7:52:08 AM5/30/06

Cream soda is repulsive..., but I'd still go for dandelion & byrdock

Lyndon

May 30, 2006, 1:41:16 PM5/30/06

> Hallo, we're doing a 70's night at home, hence the requirement for
> faggots, London Grill, Angel Delight and those Vesta meals. Plus, if
> only I could get Double Diamond beer, that would be a big help,
> otherwise Harp will do.
>
> Good luck!

Can I have some Surprise Peas with the Vesta curry please?

Mm. On second thoughts ....

Lyndon

congokid

May 30, 2006, 3:34:08 PM5/30/06
In article <5A0fg.212666$7a.80525@pd7tw1no>, graham <g.st...@shaw.ca>
writes

>I worked at Batchelor's during the long vacs. Did you know that every pea
>was pricked to aid in the drying/reconstituting process? They even took
>conventional dried peas, re-hydrated them and then put them through the
>pricking process etc. Those ones ended up in store brands, never in the
>"Surprise" brand, the highest % going into the Woolworth's label.

Don't mention peas to me - I worked on the A1 (catering size) pea line
at Goldhangar Fruit Farms, Essex, one summer. The toughest job (mine)
was scooping garden peas with a plastic bucket onto the line from a
large trough on wheels. Almost as much of my sweat as juice went into
those tins.

Later that summer, in the Cadbury Schweppes canning factory in Montrose,
I worked on the mushy pea line.

Glen

Jun 2, 2006, 5:14:42 PM6/2/06
> But I do remember a friend serving up baked beans encased in sausage meat
> (like a Scotch egg but with beans). They were packaged and probably came
> from the deep freezer at Iceland. Incredibly disgusting they were, too.

Ahhh the 'bean rounda'. You used to get them in certain chippies round
scotland...but I haven't seen one for a while.

Glen

Gregoire Kretz

Jun 4, 2006, 5:16:23 PM6/4/06
The Mullen <singh_d...@boltblue.com> wrote:

... Will never fit in a tin...
Oh well.

Greg

--

I'm with stupid
No spam: ficus = no(n)

Gregoire Kretz

Jun 4, 2006, 5:16:23 PM6/4/06
The Reid <don...@fell-walker.co.uk> wrote:

> Following up to Owain
>
> >But why not go upmarket with prawn cocktail in a scooped-out avocado,
>
> why not, it tastes great!

I'm sure it does, but not the way most restaurants serve it.
In my long service as a belly on feet I've never encountered one where
the prawns were not obviously tinned or frozen, and served with a sauce
that was going over the top in the taste department in a vague attempt
to make you forget neither of the other two ingredients (i.e. the prawns
and the damn avocado) were identifiable.

One day I'll just have to make it myself.

Owain

Jun 5, 2006, 9:15:56 AM6/5/06
Gregoire Kretz wrote:
>>Saucy mare
> .... Will never fit in a tin...
> Oh well.

Don't Les Frères De Frein offer saucy mare in sous-vide ;-?

Owain

Steve Williams

Apr 12, 2021, 7:06:59 AM4/12/21
Baked beans inside sausage meat bread-crumbed and deep fried is called a "beanie", I had one in Middlesbrough once from a chip shop, I regretted it, not nice IMO.