Kegderee

Brian

Apr 4, 2023, 7:11:49 AM4/4/23

We enjoy Kegderee for breakfast now and then, in fact we had it this
morning.

I’m happy with the taste etc. Senior Management likes me to add cream - as
some recipes include- although I prefer without. Otherwise I follow what
seems to be the standard method. Fry a mix of peppers, onions, peas etc add
some curry powder, cooked white rice, poached smoked fish, and some cream
etc.

The problem is, this leads to the rice ending brownish due to the curry.

The first time I had Kedgeree - when staying in a B&B years ago- and when
I’ve had it in hotels etc, the rice is still white.

Mine tastes fine but doesn’t look as nice.

Any tips on where I’m going wrong, please?

Malcolm Loades

Apr 4, 2023, 9:03:25 AM4/4/23
I've never seen it with white rice, always brown/yellow. I can't
conceive of anything containing turmeric not colouring whatever it's with.

Of the hundreds of images returned by google when searching 'kedgeree' I
can't see one with white rice, in fact many look as if additional
turmeric has been added since the rice is so yellow.

Malcolm

Brian

Apr 4, 2023, 4:29:11 PM4/4/23
Good point.

Having now looked at several images of Kegderee on the net, including
YouTube, I can’t see any with white rice.

I wonder if I’m confusing it with another breakfast rice dish I’ve had in
the past.

It is also apparent some versions are very ‘wet’ - almost like rice
pudding- while most are very dry. An ex Royal Chef’s version is very sloppy
- I don’t doubt it is good, just different to others.