“Age” of recipes.

Brian

Mar 16, 2022, 5:50:42 AM3/16/22

Strange as it may seem, neither Senior Management nor myself have ever
eaten Marconi Cheese. True, we regularly used to make something similar,
but not real Mac ‘n’ Cheese. The subject came up while looking for ideas to
add to our rota.

I turned to YouTube - one of my go to sources for recipes- and found a
video which included the history of Mac ‘n’ Cheese.

I had always, wrongly it seems, it was a modern recipe from the USA. Either
from the depression era or days when quick, one dish, meals became popular
- the post war years.

I appreciate the base is pasta but it wouldn’t be the first dish developed
in the US based on ‘imported’ cuisines.

However, the video claims the dish dates back centuries and to Italy ( if I
followed it). Ben Franklin liked it. An early US President imported a pasta
machine and eat it.

It became the US equivalent of beans on toast when Kraft ‘perfected’ (note
quotes- I don’t care for convenience foods, it may be very good) a packet
version in, as I recall, the 1950s.

Owain Lastname

Mar 20, 2022, 5:00:56 PM3/20/22
On Wednesday, 16 March 2022 at 09:50:42 UTC, Brian wrote:
> Strange as it may seem, neither Senior Management nor myself have ever
> eaten Marconi Cheese.

May I recommend Spicy Macaroni Cheese pies as a tasty snack?

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-frasers-2-spicy-macaroni-pies-296g/4088600417134

Owain

Brian

Mar 22, 2022, 8:17:15 AM3/22/22
We tend not to buy much ready made stuff like that. However, I will have
a look.