Re: May 8

1 view

Ophelia

May 9, 2022, 4:32:20 AM5/9/22
On 08/05/2022 19:24, Alphonse de Lamartine wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2022 14:03:18 +0100, Janet <nob...@home.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <jdpkab...@mid.individual.net>, Oph...@elsinore.me.uk
>> says...

>>> Thank you, Gary, you are very kind:)
>>>
>>> I have had some lovely calls today from my children:))
>>
>> Why so late? Mothers Day in Britain was on March 27th.
>
> In Australia it was (or is for youse) Sunday the 9th of May.

I have children living in Germany:)

Chris Green

May 9, 2022, 6:48:04 AM5/9/22
Ophelia <Oph...@elsinore.me.uk> wrote:

> >> Why so late? Mothers Day in Britain was on March 27th.

That's properly called "Mothering Sunday" and I think it's a UK only
sort of thing. "Mother's Day" is the May 8th/9th one celebrated in
the USA etc.

--
Chris Green
·

Brian

May 9, 2022, 12:34:23 PM5/9/22
Indeed.

We have a regular Skype chat with some friends who live in the US on
Sundays and they were surprised we weren’t celebrating Mother’s Day
yesterday.

On one of my early trips to the US - in about 1985 - I was surprised how
popular Halloween was. I’d never seen adults get dressed up in costume etc
and attend Halloween parties - even in my student days in the 70s. Here
the otherwise generally ‘sober’ Americans I’d been observing for a few
weeks as a visitor turned into party animals.

Graham

May 9, 2022, 12:39:54 PM5/9/22
My Grandson and Grand-daughter have part time jobs in restaurants and
yesterday was the busiest day of the year when families treat their
mothers to brunch or lunch or dinner. I think my d-i-l was treated to a
special breakfast.