Restaurant report - Manchester

Steph Peters

Oct 10, 2001, 7:07:30 PM10/10/01
The Third Eye
Wilmslow Road, Didsbury Manchester
Indian and Nepalese
Licensed

2 diners
2 small beers each
2 courses each
Total cost £28

Ratings out of 10:
4 Menu
6 Food eaten
9 Surroundings
7 Service
5 Value for money

A posh small restaurant in the yuppie Manchester suburb of Didsbury. Looks
like it should be a nouvelle cuisine place - polished wooden floors, very
restrained decor. For somewhere claiming to be both Indian and Nepalese,
the menu was short and lacking in variety. I had trouble spotting anything
not on a standard Nepalese menu. Service was attentive but a bit
obsequious. Marks lost for only small bottles of Cobra beer.

The important bit, the food. Starters were onion pakora, unremarkable.
Tikka paneer was excellent, really flavoursome. Accompanied by spicy onion
relish that was the highlight. Main course aloo saag was very creamy and
tasted of fresh spinach. Channa dal was rather boring. Mushroom rice had
plenty of mushrooms and lots of flavour. Tried a panni(?) naan which
sounded good on the menu, stuffed with potato and spices, but in reality was
bland and had a lot of butter between the layers.

This is the closest Indian restaurant to my house, but I won't be going back
for some time, as it was overall a bit disappointing with a few exceptions.

--
Health consists of having the same diseases as one's neighbors. Quentin Crisp
Steph Peters, Manchester, England

Chris Wolstenholme

Oct 10, 2001, 8:56:48 PM10/10/01
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:07:30 +0100, Steph Peters
<uf...@sandbenders.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>The Third Eye
>Wilmslow Road, Didsbury Manchester
>Indian and Nepalese
>Licensed

To stick with the Mancunian theme... tonight I went to:

Royal Naz (aka Royale Tandoori)
20, Wilmslow Road,
Manchester
Licensed Indian Restaurant

1 diner
1 pint diet coke
4 courses (if you count the courtesy popadoms while deciding what to
order)
Total cost £13.95

Ratings out of 10:
9 Menu
8 Food eaten
8 Surroundings
8 Service
8 Value for money

A medium to large sized restaurant in the Rusholme area of Manchester
(an area with a heavy concentration of Indian restaurants side by
side). A largish and varied menu with quite a few "specialty" dishes.
This restaurant has won prizes for its food in the past, and maybe
recently - I don't know. I've lived in Machester for four years, but
hadn't tried this restaurant before, though I have tried many of the
others. From outside it doesn't look the most impressive amongst the
many, but it was worth getting inside (ohh...I was going to make a
rude joke about "the women I've known" here, but thought it in bad
taste! I'm sure you can make it up yourselves... it's not like I
haven't given you all the clues! ;-) ).

The waiters are friendly and ready to advise (you are encouraged to
ask about any aspect of the food - it says to on the menu). Spicy
dishes can be made medium or hot whichever you prefer. The only
complaint I had about the service was the time it took to take my
order. Athough I was munching popadoms, and had my drink, so it didn't
really matter...

To eat, I had popadoms with various chutneys etc. Like most of the
restaurants in Rusholme (but not quite all) these were free and
brought to the table upon your arrival. One of the sauces seemed to be
tomato and red chilli. I've never had this before, and it was very
nice. I intended to ask about it, but forgot!

For a starter I had Onion Bahji. This was served with salad, but
(unusually for Indian restaurants I've been in before) diced and
dressed. The onion bahjis were standard fare. Nothing more to say.

For main course I had Chicken Roghan Josh with pilau rice and a puri.
The quality of this course was excellent. It was an easy meal to eat!
The chicken melted in the mouth, and the rice was so light. Often with
rice it's either undercooked (making it hard) or overcooked (making it
stodgy). I'm not a big fan of rice usually, and more often go for a
naan instead, but today I chose rice and was glad I did! The puri,
too, was well cooked and not really greasy, whereas in most cases they
tend to be greasy. Excellent all round.

For dessert I had Mango Kulfi. Individual Kulfi bought from Sainsbury
or similar supermarket warehouse. Nice, but not credited to the
restaurant (unless the skill is in removing it from the box!).

Sorry, but I didn't notice the selection of beers on offer, as I don't
drink, and everywhere serves diet cola of one variety or another!

This is a place I would certainly visit again as it was friendly and
served excellent food. There may be better (hence 8 rather than 9 -
I'd hate to end up one day having to give a restaurant 11 out of 10
for something!), but this is certainly good. I will have to revisit
soon to check if it is consistently good, or if I just got lucky.
Gosh, the things I have to suffer just to report to you
people...life's so hard... :-)

Chris

Tom

Oct 10, 2001, 9:43:13 PM10/10/01
"A night in India"
Toowong, QLD Australia
BYO(unlicenced) Indian Restaurant

1 diner
1 beer(brought myself..included in my price)
1 Coca Cola
Chicken Tikka Masala +
Roghan Josh Masala + Rice
Large serve of Naan
$AUS 12( Approx 4.5 quid UK)
($10 AUS sans Beer)

Rating

9 Menu
8 Food eaten

9 Surroundings
9 Service
9 Value for money

"Chris Wolstenholme" <ch...@bueband.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
: On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:07:30 +0100, Steph Peters

Jane Willis

Oct 10, 2001, 11:36:10 PM10/10/01

Tom <tomSPAMb...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> $AUS 12( Approx 4.5 quid UK)
> ($10 AUS sans Beer)

Unfair! Unfair!

Jane

Toni Jeffreys

Oct 10, 2001, 11:44:03 PM10/10/01
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:07:30 +0100, Steph Peters
<uf...@sandbenders.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>The Third Eye
>Wilmslow Road, Didsbury Manchester
>Indian and Nepalese
>Licensed
>
>2 diners
>2 small beers each
>2 courses each
>Total cost £28

You're fucking stupid to waste that much money on shite food that can
be knocked up for pennies at home - and tastes equally as shit as its
restaurant equivalent.

You dimbo.

Steph Peters

Oct 11, 2001, 4:57:40 PM10/11/01
I wrote:

>The Third Eye

>A posh small restaurant in the yuppie Manchester suburb of Didsbury. Looks
>like it should be a nouvelle cuisine place - polished wooden floors, very
>restrained decor. For somewhere claiming to be both Indian and Nepalese,
>the menu was short and lacking in variety. I had trouble spotting anything
>not on a standard Nepalese menu.

Aaaargh!!! I meant anything not on a standard Indian menu.

--
Health consists of having the same diseases as one's neighbors. Quentin Crisp

Steph,Manchester, England

Seth Hollingsworth

Oct 14, 2001, 8:49:34 AM10/14/01
We went to the Royal Naz on 12th September this year. My wife
pregnant and nearly 2 weeks over, and someone suggested going for a
curry. I had samosas to start, which were excellent, followed by a
Chicken Dopiaza with Mushroom Pilau. The chicken had been cooked
"Traditional Style" whatever that is, and it was cracking. The rice
was fab too, not greasy, which makes a change for that type of dish.
Louise had a Chicken and Mango Passanda, which horrified me whan she
ordered it, but turned out to be the best "Sweet n Creamy" Curry I had
ever had. With drinks, it all came to £23.00.

Did it work?

7 Hour later, Sophie was born, so it shows that Curry is good for you
after all!!!

ja22

Oct 14, 2001, 9:59:06 AM10/14/01

"Seth Hollingsworth" <thund...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> We went to the Royal Naz on 12th September this year. My wife
> pregnant and nearly 2 weeks over, and someone suggested going for a
> curry. I had samosas to start, which were excellent, followed by a
> Chicken Dopiaza with Mushroom Pilau. The chicken had been cooked
> "Traditional Style" whatever that is, and it was cracking. The rice
> was fab too, not greasy, which makes a change for that type of dish.
> Louise had a Chicken and Mango Passanda, which horrified me whan she
> ordered it, but turned out to be the best "Sweet n Creamy" Curry I had
> ever had. With drinks, it all came to £23.00.
>
> Did it work?
>
> 7 Hour later, Sophie was born, so it shows that Curry is good for you
> after all!!!

Congratulations :o) Sophie is off to a good start
ja22

Chris Wolstenholme

Oct 14, 2001, 1:34:25 PM10/14/01
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:49:34 +0100, Seth Hollingsworth
<thund...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>7 Hour later, Sophie was born, so it shows that Curry is good for you
>after all!!!

Congratulations!

Chris

Seth Hollingsworth

Oct 14, 2001, 7:11:45 PM10/14/01
Thanks guys :) !

qualityb...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2013, 2:04:02 AM6/8/13
Save up to 70% off restaurants, spa, travels and more in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Melbourne
Click Here For More Detail
> http://www.citysnatch.com.au/index.php
Thnaks Goury212