Wallpaper scoring tool

pinnerite

Sep 27, 2021, 5:35:58 PMSep 27
My bungalow has walls and ceilings papered and papered over probably many times over the last 50 years. I need to get it down to the plaster, make good and paint.

I don't relish paper stripping so searched for an aid.

I came across the Zinsser Paper Tiger Scoring Tool.

Has anyone tried it?

What is it like to use?

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.

Chris Bacon

Sep 27, 2021, 6:39:04 PMSep 27
On 27/09/2021 22:35, pinnerite wrote:
> My bungalow has walls and ceilings papered and papered over probably many times over the last 50 years. I need to get it down to the plaster, make good and paint.
>
> I don't relish paper stripping so searched for an aid.
>
> I came across the Zinsser Paper Tiger Scoring Tool.
>
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> What is it like to use?

That#'s one o' they there things for making lots of pinholes in the
paper & paint. I have not used that sort, but I have used a similar
technique, the thing is to get plenty of holes, use plenty of wet, and
leave for plenty of time (repeated applicatios of wet are good).

You could do worse than read the reviews & Q&As at:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-paper-tiger-scoring-tool-3mm/3469h

newshound

Sep 27, 2021, 6:44:16 PMSep 27
IMHO for multiple layers there is nothing to beat a steamer for speed.

Chris Bacon

Sep 27, 2021, 7:18:43 PMSep 27
On 27/09/2021 23:44, newshound wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 23:38, Chris Bacon wrote:
>> On 27/09/2021 22:35, pinnerite wrote:
>>> I don't relish paper stripping so searched for an aid.
>>>
>>> I came across the Zinsser Paper Tiger Scoring Tool.
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried it?
>>
>> You could do worse than read the reviews & Q&As at:
>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-paper-tiger-scoring-tool-3mm/3469h
>>

> IMHO for multiple layers there is nothing to beat a steamer for speed.
I use both. The trouble is that when your wallpaper, lining paper, WHY,
has been painted a few times, and the wall is nice and dry, you can
spend A Long Time with either method, and not get very far very fast.
Both is betterer!

alan_m

Sep 27, 2021, 7:40:15 PMSep 27
On 27/09/2021 23:44, newshound wrote:
Depends on the paper and if its been painted.

With some painted paper all the steamer does is soften the paint rather
than getting the underlying glue damp.

On painted woodchip or a plastered wall I've found the best way is to
scrape off some the high points (the wood chip) with a 4 inch blade

https://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-scraper-4/16530

and use a garden sprayer filled with water and a LOT of washing up
liquid to spray the walls - repeat twice more with 10 minutes between
applications, After further 10 minutes start scraping off.

With vinyl wallpaper you can separate the top layer from it backing and
rip off a whole strip (500mm x room height) in one go leaving behind the
paper backing which can be removed by wetting down.

To the OP - often there is a good reason old plaster has being papered
and after stripping you may find it unsuitable for painting unless it is
re-skimmed.

S Viemeister

Sep 27, 2021, 8:18:46 PMSep 27
+1

Thomas Prufer

Sep 28, 2021, 4:17:48 AMSep 28
On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 22:35:54 +0100, pinnerite <pinn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>My bungalow has walls and ceilings papered and papered over probably many times over the last 50 years. I need to get it down to the plaster, make good and paint.
>I don't relish paper stripping so searched for an aid.

After scoring: Spray wall with garden sprayer a few times, possibly with a few
drops of washing-up liquid in the water to help it soak in. Apply thin wallpaper
paste to wall. Apply the thinnest, cheapest plastic drop sheet (the kind that is
about as thin and sturdy as food clingfilm) to wall. Wait. Wait some more.
Continue waiting, possibly re-wetting the wall.

Eventually the moisture *will* soak through to the bottom layer...

(If there are layers of oil paint, you're screwed. If the bottom layers are
stuck on with hide glue on unsized walls, you're screwed. BTDTGTTS.)

Thomas Prufer

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Sep 28, 2021, 4:57:20 AMSep 28
Argh. Taking paper of of walls is a nightmare depending on the glue used
originally, some comes of if wet, other needs steam but there are just some
that are immune to both and one ends up simply using elbow grease. I hate
decorating.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"pinnerite" <pinn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Davidm

Sep 28, 2021, 6:35:33 AMSep 28
On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 00:40:11 +0100, alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:
++1

Davidm

Sep 28, 2021, 6:37:45 AMSep 28
wrote:

>My bungalow has walls and ceilings papered and papered over probably many times over the last 50 years. I need to get it down to the plaster, make good and paint.
>
>I don't relish paper stripping so searched for an aid.
>
>I came across the Zinsser Paper Tiger Scoring Tool.
>
>Has anyone tried it?
>
>What is it like to use?
They help, followed by a good (repeated) soak with warm water &
washing up liquid. I use a garden sprayer tp apply.
But it's bloody arm aching work!!

Andrew

Sep 28, 2021, 7:08:56 AMSep 28
On 27/09/2021 22:35, pinnerite wrote:
> My bungalow has walls and ceilings papered and papered over probably many times over the last 50 years. I need to get it down to the plaster, make good and paint.
>
> I don't relish paper stripping so searched for an aid.
>
> I came across the Zinsser Paper Tiger Scoring Tool.
>
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> What is it like to use?

Invest in a professional scraper like this one too -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-long-handled-scraper-6/87299

Andrew

Sep 28, 2021, 7:14:45 AMSep 28
Not if you use a professional long handled scraper. The sort
that is normally used for removing flooring adhesive before
re-carpeting commercial areas.

alan_m

Sep 28, 2021, 7:56:46 AMSep 28
On 28/09/2021 11:37, Davidm wrote:
But if it comes off too easily the walls were not prepared properly the
previous time it was papered.

When I purchased my 1908 house previous owners had papered over
distemper paint which must have immediately sucked all the water out of
the glue. Result - the paper had been re-stuck (badly) to the walls with
Sellotape. Getting the paper off was doddle, getting the distemper paint
off and sealing the walls was a tiny bit harder. Lots of water and
industrial sludge to dispose of. :) :)

billy bookcase

Sep 28, 2021, 8:22:44 AMSep 28

"pinnerite" <pinn...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My bungalow has walls and ceilings papered and papered over probably many times over
> the last 50 years. I need to get it down to the plaster, make good and paint.
>
> I don't relish paper stripping so searched for an aid.
>
> I came across the Zinsser Paper Tiger Scoring Tool.
>
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> What is it like to use?

For multiple layers of paper ? At a guess, useless.

With all wallpaper stripping the ideal is to remove as large pieces
of wallpaper as you can, at a time. All that scoring the paper will
achieve is divide it up into even smaller pieces which if left untouched
might have come off in bigger pieces. From memeory I would investigate
steamers which have propbably come down a lot on price over the
past four of five decades. This might be where scoring might come
in handy in allowing better access for the steam although soaking
alone should eventually achieve this.

bb

jkn

Sep 28, 2021, 8:26:24 AMSep 28
+1

The Paper Tiger is really good IMO, but in any case you really need a
steamer. They are not very expensive, you could probably sell it on
Gumtree afterwards

alan_m

Sep 28, 2021, 8:35:09 AMSep 28
On 28/09/2021 13:22, billy bookcase wrote:

> With all wallpaper stripping the ideal is to remove as large pieces
> of wallpaper as you can, at a time. All that scoring the paper will
> achieve is divide it up into even smaller pieces which if left untouched
> might have come off in bigger pieces.

The OP is enquiring about the use of a device that puts in multiple pin
picks in to the surface each of which will allow water to get to the
glue at the back of the paper. It will not necessarily cause the paper
to come off in smaller strips.

Tim Lamb

Sep 28, 2021, 1:33:48 PMSep 28
In message <irggfo...@mid.individual.net>, alan_m
<ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> writes
Very long while since I have done this but I found scraping the surface
of heavy weight paper with a serrated edge followed by steaming worked
best.

A search turns up nothing similar:-)

I suppose a 4" length of scrap saw blade would do.

--
Tim Lamb

pinnerite

Sep 28, 2021, 1:38:26 PMSep 28
That was very helpful. Thank you.

Chris Bacon

Sep 29, 2021, 5:26:12 AMSep 29
On 28/09/2021 18:38, pinnerite wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 23:38:59 +0100
> Chris Bacon <chris....@maildrop.cc> wrote:

>> You could do worse than read the reviews & Q&As at:
>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-paper-tiger-scoring-tool-3mm/3469h
>>

> That was very helpful. Thank you.

It's worth sorting the reviews by best-worst as well as worst-best.

Chris Bacon

Sep 29, 2021, 5:31:25 AMSep 29
Quite. Anything from lots of cracks, which aren't too bad to deal with,
to "most of the plaster fell off with the wallpaper".

It's necessary to clean residual glue off the wall very carefully, it
can make paint craze or flake.

These spiky wheel things can damage plaster and leeave tracks which
paint shows up very clearly.

Mind you, that said, both paint and wallpaper can each give problems.

jkn

Sep 29, 2021, 5:58:37 AMSep 29
Fair point, and always worth doing generally. In my case, my Paper Tiger
is very old (30 years+ before Zinsser took it over?) and I have not had any
of the quality issues that some people seem to be having.