Replacing double glazed glass units

Broadback

Aug 17, 2007, 10:32:44 AM8/17/07
My daughter wished to replaced the double glazed unit in the top 1/3 of
a fairly small window, as it has a large hole cut in with a fan fitted
which she does not want.
Now all the relevant tradesmen (Manchester Trafford area) will only
supply and fit, not supply only, added to that they do not seem to want
to do a small job. How difficult is it to remove and replace such a unit
and what is the method please? If I took it out who would supply a unit
the same size that I could fit( I thought I could take it along as a
pattern), how difficult is that? I live in Stoke on Trent, so anyone in
that area would be best.

sm_jamieson

Aug 17, 2007, 10:48:03 AM8/17/07

Depending on the glazing beads, etc, you usually prise off some UPVC
strip and pull out a rubber or plastic bead. If the glazing is stuck
in with security tape, you may need to break the window to extract it.
Refitting is the reverse of removal, but it can be tricky to get the
glazing bead back in. Search for previous threads for a much more
detailed reply (in the wiki ??).
Make sure you measure the thickness of the unit as well as its size.
You can find manufacturers of sealed units in the glazing section of
the yellow pages. Local ones on industrial estates are usually good.
Cheers,
Simon.

A.Lee

Aug 17, 2007, 12:20:51 PM8/17/07
Broadback <w...@towill.plus.com> wrote:

> My daughter wished to replaced the double glazed unit in the top 1/3 of
> a fairly small window, as it has a large hole cut in with a fan fitted
> which she does not want.
> Now all the relevant tradesmen (Manchester Trafford area) will only
> supply and fit,

Why dont you go direct to the glass dealers then?
Window makers (apart from the very big ones) are not usually glass
makers, they get supplied by the glass merchants.
I've been today to get a unit made up, 1120x440mm, 4mm basic glass,12mm
silver spacer and 4mm glass. £12.04 plus vat.

To fit, there are numerous factors that need taking into account.
How easy is the bead to come out? Refitting is usually not too bad, but
getting it off without damaging it can be difficult.
The glass may be held in place in the frame by double sided sticky foam.
This is a swine to separate, so you may need to smash the glass if all
other attempts fail.
You'll need to buy some more double sided tape if the window has that.
£3 for 12 metres today for me.

If it doesnt have the tape, then you'll need some packing pieces for the
bottom, so the glass isnt touching the frame directly along the bottom.
Slices of wood are common.A rawlplug cut long ways is another thing that
can be used.
Other than that, it is pretty simple.
Alan

dennis@home

Aug 17, 2007, 2:15:52 PM8/17/07

"A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message

> Broadback <w...@towill.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> My daughter wished to replaced the double glazed unit in the top 1/3 of
>> a fairly small window, as it has a large hole cut in with a fan fitted
>> which she does not want.
>> Now all the relevant tradesmen (Manchester Trafford area) will only
>> supply and fit,
>
> Why dont you go direct to the glass dealers then?
> Window makers (apart from the very big ones) are not usually glass
> makers, they get supplied by the glass merchants.
> I've been today to get a unit made up, 1120x440mm, 4mm basic glass,12mm
> silver spacer and 4mm glass. £12.04 plus vat.
>
> To fit, there are numerous factors that need taking into account.
> How easy is the bead to come out? Refitting is usually not too bad, but
> getting it off without damaging it can be difficult.
> The glass may be held in place in the frame by double sided sticky foam.
> This is a swine to separate, so you may need to smash the glass if all
> other attempts fail.

Knife??
You just cut it and fit a new strip.

> You'll need to buy some more double sided tape if the window has that.
> £3 for 12 metres today for me.
>
> If it doesnt have the tape, then you'll need some packing pieces for the
> bottom, so the glass isnt touching the frame directly along the bottom.
> Slices of wood are common.A rawlplug cut long ways is another thing that
> can be used.
> Other than that, it is pretty simple.

If it is an opening window you have to put the wedges back in the correct
place as it is the glass that keeps the frame in shape.
If you put them in the wrong place you can expect trouble opening and
closing the window.

Clint Sharp

Aug 17, 2007, 5:16:02 PM8/17/07
In message <5ilpt7F...@mid.individual.net>, Broadback
<w...@towill.plus.com> writes
Hmm, depends where in Trafford but I'd use Nova Glass who actually
manufacture the units, they have their own toughening plant etc...
Norman Road Broadheath, Altrincham.
--
Clint Sharp

Geoff Berrow

Aug 21, 2007, 7:28:04 PM8/21/07
contained the following:

> I live in Stoke on Trent, so anyone in
>that area would be best.

I live in Newcastle under Lyme and know someone who may be able to help.
Mail me if you are interested (but watch the spam trap)
--
Regards,

Geoff Berrow

Broadback

Aug 24, 2007, 2:10:54 AM8/24/07
Thanks for the offer Geoff, however I have already taken it to
Altrincham glass to be made. Also thanks to everyone else with the tips
I did get it out, however I had to break the glass to do so, I managed
to just break the inside pane, so I was able to measure the unit itself,
in fact I took it to Altrincham glass and they used it as a pattern.
Now the next problem is my daughter's fellow tried to get it out and
damaged the glazing strip, also as it is quite old the strips have lost
their flexibility. My problem is going to be finding matching profile,
these have their seals integrated. If I can't get replacement should I
try putting the old ones in hot water to soften them, then how about
plenty of washing up liquid on them to make them slippery?