Repairing a pond liner

Lieutenant Scott

Apr 7, 2012, 7:56:05 AM4/7/12
To save the bother of removing the whole liner, I wish to repair a small cut in my pond liner.

I've looked up how to do it, but there are two methods depending if it's rubber or PVC based.

How do I tell which it is as I can't locate the receipt for it's purchase.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

__.------.
.-' .---. \
.' .' O )/"\/
.' ) >:' L
.'"/ ( _J: |
/ '' \ / `\ F
J ' L_( _> J
| ( ( `--' |/
J / : :. : J
| | :. :. :. : .:L
| \ . . .:'|F
| | `:. .: ||
F || ' |||
| :) : . JJ
|) | /F
V A /J
|| \_.-. .-.FF
---'--. /<--\\ L----.
|||L \|| |
JJ)) `|| |
)|___.---\----'
.--'""<'|/ |F
|J`-' FF
| L : JJ
| J :||
J | | ||
J |_/\_F
J | |J
L L ||

Adam Aglionby

Apr 7, 2012, 8:40:59 AM4/7/12
On Apr 7, 12:56 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> To save the bother of removing the whole liner, I wish to repair a small cut in my pond liner.
>
> I've looked up how to do it, but there are two methods depending if it's rubber or PVC based.
>
> How do I tell which it is as I can't locate the receipt for it's purchase.

Very different feel of materials, pvc is smooth glossy with almost no
give , rubber of various kinds, will be realtively thick with a
textured surface and will have some returning stretch.

Ignition test, scrap of PVC will burn easily, rubber will take a bit
more ignition and have distinctive burning rubber smell.

Cheers
Adam

> --http://petersparrots.comhttp://petersphotos.com

newshound

Apr 7, 2012, 9:15:42 AM4/7/12
On 07/04/2012 13:40, Adam Aglionby wrote:
> On Apr 7, 12:56 pm, "Lieutenant Scott"<n...@spam.com> wrote:
>> To save the bother of removing the whole liner, I wish to repair a small cut in my pond liner.
>>
>> I've looked up how to do it, but there are two methods depending if it's rubber or PVC based.
>>
>> How do I tell which it is as I can't locate the receipt for it's purchase.
>
> Very different feel of materials, pvc is smooth glossy with almost no
> give , rubber of various kinds, will be realtively thick with a
> textured surface and will have some returning stretch.
>
> Ignition test, scrap of PVC will burn easily, rubber will take a bit
> more ignition and have distinctive burning rubber smell.
>
> Cheers
> Adam

PVC is thermoplastic, rubber isn't. So for example a soldering iron will
melt an obvious hole. Apply a hot air gun and stretch and again the PVC
will melt long before it degrades.

Rod Speed

Apr 7, 2012, 2:27:05 PM4/7/12
Lieutenant Scott wrote

> To save the bother of removing the whole liner, I wish to repair a small cut in my pond liner.

> I've looked up how to do it, but there are two methods depending if it's rubber or PVC based.

> How do I tell which it is

Its unlikely to be rubber now.

If you still arent sure, try burning a small bit of it,
PVC burns, rubber doesnt.

It smells very different too, compare it with a bit
of what you know is PVC from the kitchen etc.

Lieutenant Scott

Apr 7, 2012, 2:42:47 PM4/7/12
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 13:40:59 +0100, Adam Aglionby <ledl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 12:56 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>> To save the bother of removing the whole liner, I wish to repair a small cut in my pond liner.
>>
>> I've looked up how to do it, but there are two methods depending if it's rubber or PVC based.
>>
>> How do I tell which it is as I can't locate the receipt for it's purchase.
>
> Very different feel of materials, pvc is smooth glossy with almost no
> give , rubber of various kinds, will be realtively thick with a
> textured surface and will have some returning stretch.
>
> Ignition test, scrap of PVC will burn easily, rubber will take a bit
> more ignition and have distinctive burning rubber smell.
>
> Cheers
> Adam

Thanks.

Another question - when I put this one in, it said to push it into the shape of the pond then fill with water. I remember doing one a long time ago (which I'm sure was also PVC), which told me to stretch it tight across the pond and weight the edges with stones, then fill it and let the water stretch it into the shape (I did that and it worked). Have they started making them non-stretchable?
What happens if you install windows 98 on a system with 2 processors?
It crashes twice.

Adam Aglionby

Apr 9, 2012, 9:29:39 AM4/9/12
On Apr 7, 7:42 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 13:40:59 +0100, Adam Aglionby <ledli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 7, 12:56 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> >> To save the bother of removing the whole liner, I wish to repair a small cut in my pond liner.
>
> >> I've looked up how to do it, but there are two methods depending if it's rubber or PVC based.
>
> >> How do I tell which it is as I can't locate the receipt for it's purchase.
>
> > Very different feel of materials, pvc is smooth glossy with almost no
> > give , rubber of various kinds, will be realtively thick with a
> > textured surface and will have some returning stretch.
>
> > Ignition test, scrap of PVC will burn easily, rubber will take a bit
> > more ignition and have distinctive burning rubber smell.
>
> > Cheers
> > Adam
>
> Thanks.
>
> Another question - when I put this one in, it said to push it into the shape of the pond then fill with water.  I remember doing one a long time ago (which I'm sure was also PVC), which told me to stretch it tight across the pond and weight the edges with stones, then fill it and let the water stretch it into the shape (I did that and it worked).  Have they started making them non-stretchable?
>
> --http://petersparrots.comhttp://petersphotos.com
>
> What happens if you install windows 98 on a system with 2 processors?
> It crashes twice.

That would be a rubber, there are a few variants , liner that will
stretch to an extent into contours.

PVC just won`t, it needs folded into curves.

PVC has several problems with lifespan, the cost of the liner is a
very small part of the investment over time in a pond.

Decent liner with a decent getextile underliner will save *loads* of
grief.

http://www.flexiblelining.co.uk/pond-liner-lake-liners/pond-lake-liners-about-how-to/material-identification-pond-liner-selection-liner-identification.html

http://www.waterfeatures.co.uk/index.html

http://www.swelluk.com/pond.html

Cheers
Adam

Lieutenant Scott

Apr 10, 2012, 7:58:47 PM4/10/12
Ah so rubber IS still available. I'll bear that in mind next time. Although the original one I remember doing that DID stretch well I'm sure felt like PVC. It was just a basic liner from a DIY store - Focus probably.
Can you grow birds by planting birdseed?

Adam Aglionby

Apr 10, 2012, 9:02:44 PM4/10/12
On Apr 11, 12:58 am, "Lieutenant Scott" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> >http://www.flexiblelining.co.uk/pond-liner-lake-liners/pond-lake-line...
>
> >http://www.waterfeatures.co.uk/index.html
>
> >http://www.swelluk.com/pond.html
>
> Ah so rubber IS still available.

Its always been available, but a range of grades and prices and things
like EPDM appearing. Clay and concrete are largely what butyl
replaced, but for art in concrete Pulhamite:

http://www.gardenhistorysociety.org/post/conservation/pulhamite-at-ross-hall-glasgow/

>. I'll bear that in mind next time.  Although the original one I remember doing that DID stretch well I'm sure felt like PVC.  It was just a basic liner from a DIY store - Focus probably.

One place gives 300% stretch on their PVC , so mebbe it is. Main
problem with it any exposure to sunlight degrades it fast, needs to be
completely covered.

Cheers
Adam

> --http://petersparrots.comhttp://petersphotos.com

liquidrub...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2014, 9:05:35 AM2/24/14
Drain the pond down below the area that is damaged to expose the damaged area above water. A submersible pump works great for fast draining. You won't be able to repair the PVC pond liner underwater.
http://www.pondpro2000.com/epdm-pond-liner.html