Black & Decker Sander

Kit Jackson

Nov 30, 2021, 11:01:51 PM11/30/21
I asked about this a month ago but didn't get any replies so I thought I
might try again.

I've got Black & Decker No 88 sander. It's old but works well. It used
to work well I should say The motor runs but the sander plate doesn't
vibrate any more. I think the drive to the eccentric cam is slipping.

Does anybody know how to disassemble this please as I can't seem to find
my way into it?

David LaRue

Nov 30, 2021, 11:34:22 PM11/30/21
Kit Jackson <dummy...@gmail.com> wrote in news:LsCpJ.38616$1d1.6496
@fx99.iad:

> Black & Decker No 88 sande

I used Google to find https://manualzz.com/doc/49385190/blackanddecker-
ka88-belt-sander-type-3-instruction-manual

One of the final pages of the manual is a pretty good exploded view of it.

It looks like there is a lot of dissasembly to get in there. Hint,
phtograph or record the dissasembly so you can put it all back in order.

Brian

Dec 1, 2021, 1:34:55 AM12/1/21
My old B&D sander died in a similar way. On mine, there was a plastic cam
thing which had shattered. The plastic was very brittle.

Given the age ( I think I bought it in the early 1980s ), I didn’t even try
finding a part.

Kit Jackson

Dec 1, 2021, 3:37:49 AM12/1/21
Mine isn't a belt sander, it's more like a half sheet sander. The
vibrating plate is 115mm x 230mm and I use 115mm rolls on it. The label
says "No 88 Sander" and "cat no U-88". Thanks for looking though.

Kit Jackson

Dec 1, 2021, 3:44:52 AM12/1/21
That may be bad news for me then. It's pretty heavy (4.5Kg) so I'd be a
bit surprised if the critical part is plastic but the weight is just
right for the large plate. How did you manage to get into yours? Does
the plate come off the bottom? I can't see any sign of screws on top.

John Rumm

Dec 1, 2021, 5:22:48 AM12/1/21
I expect it's too old to be able to find reliable drawings or parts... I
looked at Miles Tool and Machinery, since they usually pretty good for
B&D diagrams and parts, but could not see it:

https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Spare-Parts/Black--Decker-Spare-Parts/Black--Decker-Indoor-Spare-Parts/Sanders__c-p-0-0-240-241-12736887-12736897.aspx

However they do have loads of diagrams for other orbital sanders, so you
may be able to find one that will give the info you need, even if its
not for exactly the model you have.

(often the base is retained by a central nut under the foam pad)

--
Cheers,

John.

Brian

Dec 1, 2021, 7:01:53 AM12/1/21
As I recall, the screws were obvious but it was a at least 2 years back -
long before Covid- and I don’t recall.

Kit Jackson

Dec 5, 2021, 11:01:48 PM12/5/21
On Wed, 01 Dec 2021 10:22:43 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

> On 01/12/2021 04:01, Kit Jackson wrote:
>
>> I asked about this a month ago but didn't get any replies so I thought
>> I might try again.
>>
>> I've got Black & Decker No 88 sander. It's old but works well. It
>> used to work well I should say The motor runs but the sander plate
>> doesn't vibrate any more. I think the drive to the eccentric cam is
>> slipping.
>>
>> Does anybody know how to disassemble this please as I can't seem to
>> find my way into it?
>
> I expect it's too old to be able to find reliable drawings or parts... I
> looked at Miles Tool and Machinery, since they usually pretty good for
> B&D diagrams and parts, but could not see it:
>
> https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Spare-Parts/Black--Decker-Spare-Parts/Black--
Decker-Indoor-Spare-Parts/Sanders__c-p-0-0-240-241-12736887-12736897.aspx

> However they do have loads of diagrams for other orbital sanders, so you
> may be able to find one that will give the info you need, even if its
> not for exactly the model you have.
>
> (often the base is retained by a central nut under the foam pad)

Thanks John, that's it. The base comes off first. All dismantled, a
seized bearing under the oscillating part replaced and it's probably good
for another 50 years service now.

That's a very useful site you've linked to as well.

Thanks again.

John Rumm

Dec 6, 2021, 8:20:07 PM12/6/21
Chances are if it's old enough it could have been quite decent quality...