My workshop build (with pictures)

Count de Monet

May 22, 2011, 10:23:02 AM5/22/11
http://www.flickr.com/photos/enrie_membership/sets/72157626380177423/

or, if it wraps

http://tinyurl.com/3f96zfk

I have recently relocated and needed a workshop to continue my business
as a computer technician. I decided to have the building built large
enough to have a dual purpose. One end for DIY and storage of tools ETC
and one end for my IT business. I decided on a size of 14ft x 8ft.

Because if moving costs I needed to build the new workshop on as smaller
budget as possible. I decided to have the basic workshop shell built and
erected to my specification and because I had spent 30 years in the
building trade as an electrician before swapping careers I would
undertake everything else.

As I had a good solid tarmac area for the workshop to stand on and
wanted something with a more solid feel I had the building constructed
with a clad 3x2 framework over pressure treated 4x2 floor joists and a
felted pitched roof with a front overhang.

To help with costs I acquired a UPVC door from a relative and two UPVC
windows from my local Freecycle group and supplied these to the builders
of the workshop for installation before the building was erected on site.

After erection it was my turn to begin the interior improvements.

I needed the finished shell to have the following installed:

Insulation and heating so I could use the building all year round.
Electrical.
Broadband connectivity.
TV point.
Telephone extension.

The insulation was achieved using 2” polystyrene sheets on top of the
first finished floor with a floating chipboard floor over that. This was
then covered with Altro vinyl safety flooring (purchased from eBay). The
walls and roof space were insulated with Rockwool the walls then
finished with decent quality plywood and the ceiling finished with taped
and painted plasterboard.

I was lucky that the previous owners had erected a small potting shed
adjacent to the location of the new workshop and had installed an
electrical feed to this shed. This supply was in 6mm 3 core armoured
cable and being plenty long enough I diverted it to be the new workshop
electrical supply and re-fed the potting shed from there. The consumer
unit and circuit breakers were again purchased through eBay a mixture of
new circuit breakers and a used 4 way metal clad consumer unit. The
remainder of the electrical installation was completed using new materials.

I built and installed a full width workbench at the business end and
used an Ikea wooden kitchen island as the DIY end work bench.

For security I installed a new Yale wireless alarm system again
purchased from eBay.

Second fix joinery and electrical was installed and the ceiling and
business end painted white.

I now have a comfortable, warm and practical building for my business
and home DIY.

BTW

Some may have seen from the photographs the angle between the potting
shed and the workshop. The potting shed's foundations have sunk making
it out of square, a job that needs to be sorted out at a later date.

--
'Erm is not an answer'

John Rumm

May 22, 2011, 10:58:43 AM5/22/11

Nice job!

Are you not going to find the mixture of client's computers and a
copious layer of sawdust a problem?

(I will admit I do have a sacrificial geriatric reclaimed PC in my
workshop, for the purpose of playing music, viewing plans and designs,
and ordering stuff from TS et al - but its not pretty!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Count de Monet

May 22, 2011, 12:05:16 PM5/22/11
On 22/05/2011 15:58, John Rumm wrote:

> Nice job!
>
> Are you not going to find the mixture of client's computers and a
> copious layer of sawdust a problem?

To be honest I don't do all that much cutting, If I do have a lot to do
I usually go it outside and never when I'm working on customer
equipment. The PC in the photo is one that is permanently there, it is
used to test memory, hard drives ETC. it also gives me access to the
internet for downloading of drivers ETC. I suppose it's too nice for
that purpose but it became spare when SHMBO changed to a laptop. It also
has a good mix of old and new I/O ports which allows me to test old and
new hardware.

David Paste

May 22, 2011, 4:21:54 PM5/22/11
On May 22, 3:23 pm, Count de Monet <zen207NOSPAM...@zen.co.uk> wrote:

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/enrie_membership/sets/72157626380177423/

Good use of the IKEA table - I did the same, but with the narrow one
(cost 30 quid or so) - it's got two vices on it and is great for
(amateur) metal bashing / welding.

GB

May 23, 2011, 9:17:13 AM5/23/11
Count de Monet wrote:

> To be honest I don't do all that much cutting, If I do have a lot to
> do I usually go it outside and never when I'm working on customer
> equipment. The PC in the photo is one that is permanently there, it is
> used to test memory, hard drives ETC. it also gives me access to the
> internet for downloading of drivers ETC. I suppose it's too nice for
> that purpose but it became spare when SHMBO changed to a laptop. It
> also has a good mix of old and new I/O ports which allows me to test
> old and new hardware.

If you have a particularly recalcitrant PC to fix, have you tried
threatening it with that mitre saw?

mailveil...@yahoo.com

May 28, 2011, 11:43:16 AM5/28/11
This is in reply to message of Sun, 22 May 2011 15:23:02 +0100, Count de
Monet <zen207N...@zen.co.uk> which said:

>http://www.flickr.com/photos/enrie_membership/sets/72157626380177423/
>
>or, if it wraps
>
>http://tinyurl.com/3f96zfk
>

>I have recently relocated and needed a workshop to continue my business
>as a computer technician. I decided to have the building built large
>enough to have a dual purpose. One end for DIY and storage of tools ETC
>and one end for my IT business. I decided on a size of 14ft x 8ft.

Nice job. The distribution trunking around the IT business end looks
rather smart; I wonder what make that is and where you obtained it?

Mike