Gas hob ignition stopped working

JoeJoe

May 16, 2022, 2:25:37 PM5/16/22
We have had one of these for many years
https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/neff_60cm_wide_4_burner_gas_hob_series_3__t2346n1/version.asp

Have never had an issue. Worked fine as late as yesterday.

Tried to use it today - ignition is dead. Operated by pressing the knobs
downwards. Nothing - not a sign of life.

Checked the socket - still powered and all looks fine. Opened the hob's
plug - all look fine and the 3A fuse also OK according to my multi-meter
(replaced it just in case). Still nothing.

There appears to be a triangle (possibly) removable access hatch in the
corner, held by a screw. Otherwise I cannot see anything that can be
done in situ.

Any ideas/thoughts as to what to try next please?

alan_m

May 16, 2022, 5:14:01 PM5/16/22
Companies selling spare parts for that hob list an ignition module.

https://tinyurl.com/ybv6w52m

Maybe worth checking to see if the connectors to that module are tight.

Tim Lamb

May 17, 2022, 4:14:23 AM5/17/22
In message <jeft4l...@mid.individual.net>, alan_m
<ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> writes
Long time since we had a gas hob but carbon can build up near the arc
points shorting the circuit.

--
Tim Lamb

Harry Bloomfield Esq

May 17, 2022, 8:14:34 AM5/17/22
Tim Lamb wrote :
> Long time since we had a gas hob but carbon can build up near the arc points
> shorting the circuit.

The ignitors usually work independently, so one failing to ignite will
not prevent the others from working. If all are failing, then more
likely it will be the entire unit which has become faulty.

JoeJoe

May 17, 2022, 10:48:23 AM5/17/22
Sorry, forgot to mention that all 4 ignitions are dead.

Looks like the time has come to look for a replacement... ;-(

JoeJoe

May 17, 2022, 5:55:39 PM5/17/22
On 17/05/2022 16:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
> Box of matches is cheaper! Or if you're really feeling like splashing
> out, a piezo spark igniter like this https://tinyurl.com/y2vrng9z .
> Had one for years - never gave problems - worked every time.

Very tempting...

Gopalan Sampath

May 17, 2022, 8:29:19 PM5/17/22
Before you declare it dead, I would suggest take an old toothbrush preferably soft and clean gently the surrounding area where the ignition spark appears, you may need to remove the pot support s around the burner for this. Normally there would be a small post with a white ceramic ring around. The soot or cooking debris might have covered the post head where the spark appears .

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 9:00:54 PM5/17/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 10:29:16 +1000, Gopalan Sampath
<gopalan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 4:25:37 AM UTC+10, JoeJoe wrote:
>> We have had one of these for many years
>> https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/neff_60cm_wide_4_burner_gas_hob_series_3__t2346n1/version.asp
>>
>> Have never had an issue. Worked fine as late as yesterday.
>>
>> Tried to use it today - ignition is dead. Operated by pressing the knobs
>> downwards. Nothing - not a sign of life.
>>
>> Checked the socket - still powered and all looks fine. Opened the hob's
>> plug - all look fine and the 3A fuse also OK according to my multi-meter
>> (replaced it just in case). Still nothing.
>>
>> There appears to be a triangle (possibly) removable access hatch in the
>> corner, held by a screw. Otherwise I cannot see anything that can be
>> done in situ.
>>
>> Any ideas/thoughts as to what to try next please?

> Before you declare it dead, I would suggest take an old toothbrush
> preferably soft and clean gently the surrounding area where the ignition
> spark appears, you may need to remove the pot support s around the
> burner for this.

Not going to work given that none of the ignitors work.

Peeler

May 18, 2022, 4:15:37 AM5/18/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 11:00:45 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

Clive Arthur

May 18, 2022, 5:24:05 AM5/18/22
On 17/05/2022 13:14, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
On our old cooker, pushing any knob fired all igniters. The implication
is that there was a common control circuit, though I imagine there'd be
separate outputs/windings for each sparker.

--
Cheers
Clive

Harry Bloomfield Esq

May 18, 2022, 5:37:21 AM5/18/22
JoeJoe laid this down on his screen :
> Very tempting...

One related problem I came across with our hob, was not the failing to
ignite, but one burner failing to remain lit once the knob was
released. In other words the thermocouple was failing to hold the
burner valve open, once it had heated up.

Each burner has flame failure detection, in the form of a thermocouple
located in the flame. Heat from the flame on the thermocouple causes it
to generate a tiny voltage, but enough to hold a solenoid gas valve for
each burner open. The connection between thermocouple and solenoid,
looks like a thin copper pipe, with a threaded nipple at the solenoid
end.

Simply loosening and retightening a few times the nipple fixed what
proved to be a poor connection. They don't need to be very tight, they
are only brass and easily damaged, just enough to work reliably.

Harry Bloomfield Esq

May 18, 2022, 5:39:48 AM5/18/22
Clive Arthur was thinking very hard :
> On our old cooker, pushing any knob fired all igniters. The implication is
> that there was a common control circuit, though I imagine there'd be separate
> outputs/windings for each sparker.

Same with our hob and yes, common control, all ignitors fired by any
button, but each HV output is separate - a HV short on one, will not
prevent the others working.

JoeJoe

May 18, 2022, 7:32:55 PM5/18/22
I have a feeling that ours behaves in a similar way.

Dave W

May 21, 2022, 7:28:38 AM5/21/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 11:00:45 +1000, lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 May 2022 10:29:16 +1000, Gopalan Sampath
><gopalan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 4:25:37 AM UTC+10, JoeJoe wrote:
>>> We have had one of these for many years
>>> https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/neff_60cm_wide_4_burner_gas_hob_series_3__t2346n1/version.asp
>>>
>>> Have never had an issue. Worked fine as late as yesterday.
>>>
>>> Tried to use it today - ignition is dead. Operated by pressing the knobs
>>> downwards. Nothing - not a sign of life.
>>>
>>> Checked the socket - still powered and all looks fine. Opened the hob's
>>> plug - all look fine and the 3A fuse also OK according to my multi-meter
>>> (replaced it just in case). Still nothing.
>>>
>>> There appears to be a triangle (possibly) removable access hatch in the
>>> corner, held by a screw. Otherwise I cannot see anything that can be
>>> done in situ.
>>>
>>> Any ideas/thoughts as to what to try next please?
>
>> Before you declare it dead, I would suggest take an old toothbrush
>> preferably soft and clean gently the surrounding area where the ignition
>> spark appears, you may need to remove the pot support s around the
>> burner for this.
>
>Not going to work given that none of the ignitors work.

If all the ignitors are in parallel, a short circuit on one would
inhibit them all. All the ignitors need to be cleaned.
--
Dave W

Brian D

May 21, 2022, 6:25:06 PM5/21/22
On my hob they are all in parallel, so one faulty kills them all.

--
Braind