LED equivalent to 100W halogen dimmable bulb

David

Dec 3, 2021, 1:40:56 PM12/3/21
Now almost 10 years old, our lighting in the main living room is dimmable
100W halogen bulbs.

One bulb has blown, and I am wondering if I can start rolling out LED
equivalents.

However initial searching seems to top out at 60W equivalent (about 700
lumens).

I am still searching, but are high wattage LED dimmable bulbs easily
available?

Cheers

Dave R

Andy Burns

Dec 3, 2021, 1:45:41 PM12/3/21
David wrote:

> However initial searching seems to top out at 60W equivalent (about 700
> lumens).
>
> I am still searching, but are high wattage LED dimmable bulbs easily
> available?

<https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/288368210>

Andy Burns

Dec 3, 2021, 2:01:29 PM12/3/21
Andy Burns wrote:

>> I am still searching, but are high wattage LED dimmable bulbs easily
>> available?
>
> <https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/288368210>

Actually, no mention of dimmable on that one, but if you've searched and not
found, you do need some google lessons ...

John Rumm

Dec 3, 2021, 2:11:34 PM12/3/21
On 03/12/2021 18:40, David wrote:
> Now almost 10 years old, our lighting in the main living room is dimmable
> 100W halogen bulbs.
>
> One bulb has blown, and I am wondering if I can start rolling out LED
> equivalents.
>
> However initial searching seems to top out at 60W equivalent (about 700
> lumens).
>
> I am still searching, but are high wattage LED dimmable bulbs easily
> available?

There are some 13W LED ones that claim 1500 lumens and 100W equivalent. E.g:

https://ledhut.co.uk/collections/b22-led-bulbs-bayonet/products/13w-b22-gls-100w-repl-1521lm-4000k-f-d

--
Cheers,

John.

Unknown

Dec 3, 2021, 2:21:28 PM12/3/21
David was thinking very hard :
> I am still searching, but are high wattage LED dimmable bulbs easily
> available?

I have just been through this and yes, it can be done. I had two
walllight, 40w tungton lamps, operated on one 30 year old dimmer
switch. Whey were swapped for 2 2.5w LED's which proven too dim, as you
would expect, but fine for TV viewing.

To solve that, after a few years of struggling with not enough light, I
ordered up two Lumilife 8.8w dimmable BC LED's. I then found swapping
both they didn't work, one 2.5w + one 8.8w limped along with the old
dimmer, so yesterday I bought two 273CC x 2 LAP 1-Gang 2-Way LED
Dimmer Switch White £16.10 (£8.05 each) = They worked perfectly with
the two 8.8w LED's. It seems that some LED's needs positive, or
negative dimming, that dimmer auto selects which it should use.

Tim+

Dec 3, 2021, 3:00:34 PM12/3/21
David <wib...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Now almost 10 years old, our lighting in the main living room is dimmable
> 100W halogen bulbs.
>
> One bulb has blown, and I am wondering if I can start rolling out LED
> equivalents.
>
> However initial searching seems to top out at 60W equivalent (about 700
> lumens).
>
> I am still searching, but are high wattage LED dimmable bulbs easily
> available?
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Just be aware, even if you can find a dimmable 100W equivalent, the quality
of the light when dimmed may be ghastly.

Tungsten bulbs produce a light that gets “warmer”/yellower as they dim.
LEDs normally don’t. In fact they look colder as they dim. The effect is
sufficiently horrid that I don’t try to dim any of my LEDs, I just try to
get the right brightness and colour temperature at purchase time.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Andy Burns

Dec 3, 2021, 3:15:07 PM12/3/21
Tim+ wrote:

> Just be aware, even if you can find a dimmable 100W equivalent, the quality
> of the light when dimmed may be ghastly.
>
> Tungsten bulbs produce a light that gets “warmer”/yellower as they dim.
> LEDs normally don’t. In fact they look colder as they dim. The effect is
> sufficiently horrid that I don’t try to dim any of my LEDs, I just try to
> get the right brightness and colour temperature at purchase time.

I have a couple of ikea zigbee bulbs, you can smoothly vary the colour
temperature, as well as the brightness.

David

Dec 3, 2021, 3:20:28 PM12/3/21
On Fri, 03 Dec 2021 19:10:07 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

> On 03/12/2021 18:40, David wrote:
>> Now almost 10 years old, our lighting in the main living room is
>> dimmable 100W halogen bulbs.
>>
>> One bulb has blown, and I am wondering if I can start rolling out LED
>> equivalents.
>>
>> However initial searching seems to top out at 60W equivalent (about 700
>> lumens).
>>
>> I am still searching, but are high wattage LED dimmable bulbs easily
>> available?
>
> There are some 13W LED ones that claim 1500 lumens and 100W equivalent.
> E.g:
>
> https://ledhut.co.uk/collections/b22-led-bulbs-bayonet/products/13w-b22-
gls-100w-repl-1521lm-4000k-f-d

Thanks.
That looks a good option.

My search strings are obviously not using the correct key words and the
usual suspects such as Screwfix don't seem to stock them .

I note that 100W halogen bulbs seem to be scarce or unobtainable.
At least, not at Screwfix and Toolsatan.

Fortunately I have located an old 100W tungsten light which is now in my
single socket, and the halogen from there is in the triple socket
replacing the failed bulb.

I did got looking in the shed for my ancient stock of tungsten filament
bulbs but I can't find them.
It would be typical if I had slung them as no use to anyone just before I
needed one!

Andy Burns

Dec 3, 2021, 3:28:06 PM12/3/21
David wrote:

> I note that 100W halogen bulbs seem to be scarce or unobtainable.

"banned" from this september, excluding existing stocks

John Brown

Dec 3, 2021, 5:44:51 PM12/3/21
Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote
I find the reverse, hate the yellow leds even tho I did use 200W PAR38s
before
changing to leds. Now exclusively use Philips Hue Color bulbs and always
hard
white and love that dimmed.

Tim+

Dec 3, 2021, 5:51:00 PM12/3/21
I do accept that it can be done, just pointing out that it’s not as simple
as just swapping a tungsten for a dimmable LED and using a standard dimmer
switch.

Peeler

Dec 3, 2021, 6:11:07 PM12/3/21
On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 09:44:42 +1100, John Brown, better known as cantankerous

You STINK of your SENILITY, you filthy senile troll!

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.

alan_m

Dec 3, 2021, 6:23:54 PM12/3/21
On 03/12/2021 22:44, John Brown wrote:

> I find the reverse, hate the yellow leds even tho I did use 200W PAR38s
> before
> changing to leds. Now exclusively use Philips Hue Color bulbs and always
> hard
> white and love that dimmed.

+1

If you not a fan of LEDs often sold as "daylight" then you are never
going to recommend them. I for one prefer the harsh white light of LEDs
to the horrid yellow/orange of traditional tungsten :)

Peeler

Dec 3, 2021, 6:29:07 PM12/3/21
On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 23:23:48 +0000, anal_m, the notorious kisser of troll
arse, bullshitted again:

> On 03/12/2021 22:44, John Brown, better known as cantankerous trolling
> senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:
>

>> I find the reverse, hate the yellow leds even tho I did use 200W PAR38s
>> before
>> changing to leds. Now exclusively use Philips Hue Color bulbs and always
>> hard
>> white and love that dimmed.
>
> +1

Kissing troll's arse yet again, anal_m, you weird senile idiot?

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Dec 4, 2021, 5:13:20 AM12/4/21
Well there used to be some around that worked well, but after a while so
called dimmability tended to go pulsatability, I have to say, but this was a
long time ago and things may be more reliable these days. The whole mess of
Halogen is but a memory now, as I don't need much light, only for visitors!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote in message

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 4, 2021, 7:13:24 AM12/4/21
In article <j0v6li...@mid.individual.net>,
David <wib...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Now almost 10 years old, our lighting in the main living room is dimmable
> 100W halogen bulbs.

> One bulb has blown, and I am wondering if I can start rolling out LED
> equivalents.

> However initial searching seems to top out at 60W equivalent (about 700
> lumens).

> I am still searching, but are high wattage LED dimmable bulbs easily
> available?

Yes. Although maybe not from a supermarket, etc.

In my kitchen/diner I had (I think) a Decorlamp 100w tungsten above the
table. It's a large envelope (4") frosted so the entire thing looks
uniform,and I liked as you can see the bulb. Used a great deal as my
laptop is there. They ceased to be available, so eventually found a warm
white LED which looks the same on or off and gives pretty well the same
output. Other lights to the worktops were PAR 28 - and eventually found
some decent LEDs for those too. But all expensive. And I had to change the
dimmers too. Total cost about £150 - but at least I'm happy they don't
look that much different from tungsten, apart from when dimmed.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 4, 2021, 7:13:25 AM12/4/21
In article
<1951248489.660254185.688...@news.individual.net>,
Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just be aware, even if you can find a dimmable 100W equivalent, the
> quality of the light when dimmed may be ghastly.

> Tungsten bulbs produce a light that gets ”warmer•/yellower as they dim.
> LEDs normally don‘t. In fact they look colder as they dim. The effect is
> sufficiently horrid that I don‘t try to dim any of my LEDs, I just try to
> get the right brightness and colour temperature at purchase time.

Must admit I've now got used to the colour temperature not changing when
dimmed.

Other thing is tungsten gets horribly inefficient when dimmed, so doesn't
save much in running costs. I assume LED is very much better.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Unknown

Dec 4, 2021, 3:50:53 PM12/4/21
Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
> Other thing is tungsten gets horribly inefficient when dimmed, so doesn't
> save much in running costs. I assume LED is very much better.

Yes, they are much better - efficiency remains almost as high, in other
words you get all the light you are paying for.

John Brown

Dec 4, 2021, 4:50:23 PM12/4/21
Harry Bloomfield Esq. <a...@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote
> Dave Plowman (News) wrote

>> Other thing is tungsten gets horribly inefficient when dimmed, so doesn't
>> save much in running costs. I assume LED is very much better.

> Yes, they are much better - efficiency remains almost as high,

Just as high in fact.

Peeler

Dec 4, 2021, 5:08:23 PM12/4/21
On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 08:50:15 +1100, John Brown, better known as cantankerous

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID: <XnsA97071CF43...@85.214.115.223>

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 5, 2021, 7:01:55 AM12/5/21
> Tungsten bulbs produce a light that gets ”warmer•/yellower as they dim.
> LEDs normally don‘t. In fact they look colder as they dim. The effect is
> sufficiently horrid that I don‘t try to dim any of my LEDs, I just try to
> get the right brightness and colour temperature at purchase time.

I've not noticed any of my LEDs (all expensive, rather than supermarket
replacements) that change colour temperature as you dim them.

--
*WHY IS THERE AN EXPIRATION DATE ON SOUR CREAM?

Tim+

Dec 5, 2021, 10:12:09 AM12/5/21
Dave Plowman (News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article
> <1951248489.660254185.688...@news.individual.net>,
> Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tungsten bulbs produce a light that gets ”warmer•/yellower as they dim.
>> LEDs normally don‘t. In fact they look colder as they dim. The effect is
>> sufficiently horrid that I don‘t try to dim any of my LEDs, I just try to
>> get the right brightness and colour temperature at purchase time.
>
> I've not noticed any of my LEDs (all expensive, rather than supermarket
> replacements) that change colour temperature as you dim them.

“Look colder” (in my opinion). But my point is the colour temperature
doesn’t change as you dim LEDs, and if you’re used to tungstens, you kinda
expect increased warm as you dim them.

I’m guessing you understand all this and are just nit-picking. I think
everyone else understood my point.

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 5, 2021, 10:33:07 AM12/5/21
In article
<1020818701.660409724.763...@news.individual.net>,
Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Plowman (News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article
> > <1951248489.660254185.688...@news.individual.net>,
> > Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Tungsten bulbs produce a light that gets ”warmer•/yellower as they
> >> dim. LEDs normally don‘t. In fact they look colder as they dim. The
> >> effect is sufficiently horrid that I don‘t try to dim any of my LEDs,
> >> I just try to get the right brightness and colour temperature at
> >> purchase time.
> >
> > I've not noticed any of my LEDs (all expensive, rather than
> > supermarket replacements) that change colour temperature as you dim
> > them.
> >

> ”Look colder• (in my opinion). But my point is the colour temperature
> doesn‘t change as you dim LEDs, and if you‘re used to tungstens, you
> kinda expect increased warm as you dim them.

Yes. We got used and liked that fault with tungsten. ;-)

However, I'm happier with LED retaining its efficiency when dimmed. Now
I've got use to them.

> I‘m guessing you understand all this and are just nit-picking. I think
> everyone else understood my point.

No - I was making a genuine point. I don't think there is a significant
change in colour temp when you dim an LED.

I hated early LEDs, though. Either blue when meant to be daylight, or
green when meant to be warm white. Better ones seem to have got round this
now.

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.