Cable size

ac1951

Feb 22, 2008, 5:44:26 AM2/22/08
What size cable would you install for a Cooker cct.
This is being installed as part of a kitchen re-furbishment and the
current owners do not have and won't be purchasing an Elect Cooker but
want to provide the option. So, I don't have any loading details
because they don't posses a cooker.
I'm not sure of the typical max load of Elect Cookers or what
diversity factor to apply.
The distance from the CU is 16M
My thoughts are either 6mm T&E with a 32A MCB or 10mm T&E with a 42A
MCB ?

Andrew Gabriel

Feb 22, 2008, 7:09:53 AM2/22/08
In article <0c1b607e-ce81-4a3d...@m23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

I install 6mm on a 32A MCB in this case.
I install a single unswitched 13A socket on the flex outlet box,
if there's no electric cooker being installed at the time. This
often ends up with the plug for spark generator on a gas cooker
plugged in to it, or an electric oven with 13A plug, but it's
capable of being upgraded for an electric hob if/when required.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Pete Verdon

Feb 22, 2008, 9:13:22 AM2/22/08
ac1951 wrote:

> What size cable would you install for a Cooker cct.
> This is being installed as part of a kitchen re-furbishment and the
> current owners do not have and won't be purchasing an Elect Cooker but
> want to provide the option. So, I don't have any loading details
> because they don't posses a cooker.
> I'm not sure of the typical max load of Elect Cookers or what
> diversity factor to apply.

Not quite what you asked for, but the new range cooker I've just bought
(two largish ovens and grill) specified 6mm^2 for the connection from
wall to cooker. The existing cable in the wall looked bigger; maybe
10mm^2. It's on a 32A MCB.

Pete

John Rumm

Feb 22, 2008, 7:29:54 PM2/22/08

6mm with the allowed diversity should be fine for most eventualities.

(diversity on domestic cookers is to take the load as 10A plus 30% of
the remainder of the actual maximum load, then add a further 5A if there
is a socket on the cooker unit)

--
Cheers,

John.