DIY muscles?

Simon Ferrol

Jan 8, 2024, 9:36:21 AMJan 8
I remember in the 90s, you could go to Boots and you could buy one of
these machines to develop abdominal muscles. I am reaching a certain age
and I am gym-phobic. Do these machines work?

SF

Smolley

Jan 8, 2024, 10:24:22 AMJan 8
When I was a young boy I would see these adverts in Exchange and Mart with
Charles Atlas who used a system called 'Dynamic Tension'.

Owain Lastname

Jan 8, 2024, 11:10:50 AMJan 8
Electronic muscle stimulators?

IIRC Slendertone was the popular brand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_muscle_stimulation#Physical_rehabilitation

Chasing a spaniel up a hill is probably as effective, and a lot more fun.

Owain

Rod Speed

Jan 8, 2024, 12:00:37 PMJan 8
Not for ABDOMINAL MUSCLES.

> and a lot more fun.

Bullshit.

Colin Bignell

Jan 8, 2024, 12:03:37 PMJan 8
In freezing rain?

--
Colin Bignell

Adrian

Jan 8, 2024, 1:27:54 PMJan 8
In message <5c1daa05-8fcf-4b62...@googlegroups.com>,
Owain Lastname <spuorg...@gowanhill.com> writes
>Chasing a spaniel up a hill is probably as effective, and a lot more fun.

For you or the spaniel ?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

The Natural Philosopher

Jan 8, 2024, 1:32:57 PMJan 8
On 08/01/2024 18:25, Adrian wrote:
> In message <5c1daa05-8fcf-4b62...@googlegroups.com>,
> Owain Lastname <spuorg...@gowanhill.com> writes
>> Chasing a spaniel up a hill is probably as effective, and a lot more fun.
>>

> For you or the spaniel ?
>
> Adrian

Both, surely?

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Peeler

Jan 8, 2024, 1:38:42 PMJan 8
On Tue, 09 Jan 2024 04:00:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID: <ev1p6ml7ywd5$.d...@sqwertz.com>

Sam Plusnet

Jan 8, 2024, 2:28:51 PMJan 8
Wrong set of muscles, but these seem pretty popular, and two people I
know think they're really good.

https://www.revitive.com

--
Sam Plusnet

alan_m

Jan 8, 2024, 6:10:06 PMJan 8
I had an early version of this years ago. It only contracts the calf
muscles so doesn't build muscle mass anywhere else. I found that it was
best to soak your feet first (bath/shower/bucket) or else dead/hard skin
formed an insulator.

The current advert says it relieves pain and improves blood/oxygen flow.
I assume that pain relief is similar to having a TENS machine.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/transcutaneous-electrical-nerve-stimulation-tens/

Smolley

Jan 9, 2024, 2:32:25 AMJan 9
Yes, it diverts attention.

www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Jan 9, 2024, 8:22:42 AMJan 9
They work well for the profits of the companies marketing as "no
exercise muscles".

They have their place for professional sports people and rehab. but the
level of muscular contraction required to stimulate muscle growth would
be that of an intermittent highly intense muscular cramp.

"like doing 1000 sit-ups in your chair"
Without going too deeply into the complexities of skeletal muscles,
there are, in the most simplistic terms 2 types of muscle fibre:
White "fast twitch" - strength/power stimulated by anaerobic exercise;
Red "slow twitch" - endurance/repetitions stimulated by long bouts of
aerobic exercise.

100m sprinter V matharon runner phisique

The body changes by adaptive response and conservation of energy.
Ones muscles will decline to the point where daily (in)activity can be
maintained/sustained.

What I would say is the very best thing anyone can do for health, cure,
wellbeing etc is to change dietary habits from that of multiple meals
which maintains almost constant insulin secretion and switch to "OMAD"
(One Meal A Day) typically afternoon to evening. Effectively "fasting"
for 18+ hours every day.

Also... preferred food sources being proteins and fats which don't spike
insulin levels though sweetpotatoes, greens etc don't spike insulin either.

I have done a number of "water Only" fasts. First time for 14 days and
second time for 12 days. Energy levels go through the roof. Strength is
increased and mind is very clear! Growth hormone increases (strength
gain) and defective cells are naturally destroyed including cancer
cells, also insulin sensitivity is increased and potential reversal of
Type 1 & 2 Diabetes.

If you (we) can get past a lifetime of habitual eating and stop being a
clock controlled Pavlovs Dog, after 24 hours the hunger subsides. Water
is genuinely all you need.
I haven't managed a full 21 days yet as for me the 14 day point is where
mind and physical functioning starts to degrade but 10 days is a breeze.

Sorry for the overly long answer to a very simple question but "3 square
meals a day" is the WORST way of eating but the lifetime of conditioning
(and addiction) is very hard to break.

Simple answer... No, you will try it once and never use it again, and
any references to Bruce Lee are based on Bruce Lee tried everything.
Electro-stimulaters might have assisted muscle recovery from his intense
weight training but they didn't cause muscle growth directly.

Cheers
Pete

Tim+

Jan 9, 2024, 10:55:33 AMJan 9
www.GymRatZ.co.uk <nor...@where.cron> wrote:

> If you (we) can get past a lifetime of habitual eating and stop being a
> clock controlled Pavlovs Dog, after 24 hours the hunger subsides. Water
> is genuinely all you need.

Um, I think that last statement needs some qualification.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Jan 9, 2024, 1:08:55 PMJan 9
On 09/01/2024 15:55, Tim+ wrote:
> www.GymRatZ.co.uk <nor...@where.cron> wrote:
>

>> If you (we) can get past a lifetime of habitual eating and stop being a
>> clock controlled Pavlovs Dog, after 24 hours the hunger subsides. Water
>> is genuinely all you need.
>
> Um, I think that last statement needs some qualification.

"water is all you need"? certainly for 2 weeks by my own and many
others' experiences. Obviously beyond that there comes a point when the
body doesn't have enough excess/stored energy so healthy tissue has to
be converted to ketones to ensure the brain remains fuelled and
functioning but natural survival instincts would kick in before that
point... unless you were making a political protest in prison for a
cause you were willing to die for of course.

Cheers
Pete

brian

Jan 9, 2024, 2:56:21 PMJan 9
In message <unh191$1iism$1...@dont-email.me>, Simon Ferrol
<simon....@englandmail.com> writes
Do sit-ups every other morning , gradually increasing the number. The
pain eases after a while. Planks are supposed to be more effective,
but harder.

https://www.wikihow.com/Do-Sit-Ups

You don't need fancy machines,

Brian

--
Brian Howie

Harry Bloomfield Esq

Jan 10, 2024, 2:13:00 PMJan 10
On 08/01/2024 14:36, Simon Ferrol wrote:
TENS?

Harry Bloomfield Esq

Jan 11, 2024, 9:28:11 AMJan 11
On 08/01/2024 19:28, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> https://www.revitive.com

Just a very, very expensive version of a TENS unit.

brian

Jan 11, 2024, 10:36:48 AMJan 11
In message <unottm$2u9rv$1...@dont-email.me>, Harry Bloomfield Esq
<a...@harrym1byt.plus.com> writes
>On 08/01/2024 19:28, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> https://www.revitive.com
>
>Just a very, very expensive version of a TENS unit.

I've a TENS foot massager that my wife used. It didn't seem to help
much.

Brian
--
Brian Howie

alan_m

Jan 11, 2024, 2:49:03 PMJan 11
It tends to be short term pain relief but for it to work well you also
have to endure some pain from the electric shocks it gives.

SteveW

Jan 12, 2024, 5:08:24 AMJan 12
On 11/01/2024 19:48, alan_m wrote:
> On 11/01/2024 15:26, brian wrote:
>> In message <unottm$2u9rv$1...@dont-email.me>, Harry Bloomfield Esq
>> <a...@harrym1byt.plus.com> writes
>>>
>>> Just a very, very expensive version of a TENS unit.
>>
>> I've a TENS foot massager that my wife used. It didn't seem to help much.
>

> It tends to be short term pain relief but for it to work well you also
> have to endure some pain from the electric shocks it gives.

My wife suffers from repeated kidney stones (she has something called,
IIRC, Randall's Plaques that make her very prone to them). She finds
that a TENS machine give her a lot of pain relief.

Brian Gaff

Jan 13, 2024, 7:35:03 AMJan 13
Dunno you need to ask the lady who posts those videos DIY with Emma.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Simon Ferrol" <simon....@englandmail.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Jan 13, 2024, 7:36:02 AMJan 13
In other words, big springs?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

alan_m

Jan 13, 2024, 7:42:40 AMJan 13
On 13/01/2024 12:35, Brian Gaff wrote:
> In other words, big springs?

Bullworker

https://www.bullworker.com/

Chris Holmes

Feb 17, 2024, 10:52:48 AMFeb 17
My late father in law had one of these.

My brother in law asked if I had a spare 5V power supply as the one that
came with it had died…

I asked how he knew it was the PSU rather than the main unit….

They had tried a 12V supply with it - my father in law had jumped higher
than he had in years!

(This wasn’t the event that made him “late”.

Chris Holmes

Feb 17, 2024, 12:32:37 PMFeb 17
Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dunno you need to ask the lady who posts those videos DIY with Emma.
> Brian

“He said in just seven daaaaayys, I can make you a maaann..