Terminating stranded flex

rick

Oct 1, 2022, 11:49:25 AM10/1/22
I am terminating some 3 core flex onto an mcb and busbar
For a short final length connection.

BS 7671 allows for using flexible cables, it does stipulate that:
A flexible cable shall be used for fixed wiring only where the relevant
provisions of the Regulations are met. Flexible cables used for fixed
wiring shall be of the heavy duty type unless the risk of damage during
installation and service, due to impact or other mechanical stresses, is
low or has been minimized or protection against mechanical damage is
provided.

In this case risk of damage is low - The cable will be clipped direct to
rafters, and at least 2m above floor level.

I don't have a ferrule crimp tool, I could twist and solder the stranded
ends, or I could spirally wind around a short piece of solid conductor
to provide mechanical strength ..... is there a better way ?

Would I be better to ignore bus bar and use WAGO connectors

Tricky Dicky

Oct 1, 2022, 12:57:04 PM10/1/22
Do not solder the strands and insert into screw terminals owing to metal
deformation of the solder it can cause a high resistance connection
inducing heat.

Richard

rick

Oct 1, 2022, 1:11:50 PM10/1/22
On 01/10/2022 17:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> rick <rick_hughes@_remove_btconnect.com> wrote:

> Do not solder the strands and insert into screw terminals owing to metal
> deformation of the solder it can cause a high resistance connection
> inducing heat.
>
> Richard

In this instance I crimped on a pin to make mcb connection and used a
WAGO for N

So is the 'approved method' now compression ferrule or pin ?
Sen a youtube vid of spiral wrapping stranded around piece of solid core
... but I have never used that.

Brian Gaff

Oct 2, 2022, 6:19:11 AM10/2/22
Yes.
Solder may look good initially, but can fail in the long term since the
solder does flow slowly even when set from what I can tell, and it goes
toward the proverbial dry joint status.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"rick" <rick_hughes@_remove_btconnect.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Oct 2, 2022, 6:23:34 AM10/2/22
Yes fell foul of this on speaker cables before. Mind you, it very much
depends on the wire and solder used. Leaded works much more reliably on
ready tinned copper wire.
Which brings me to a query, my cooker cable appears to have aluminium wire,
solid, in it. It seems to new that these screws, brass I assume,work loose
a lot, and on one of the highest current feeds in a home, why did they use
it?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tricky Dicky" <tricky...@sky.com> wrote in message

Hoof Hearted

Oct 2, 2022, 11:18:35 AM10/2/22
rick pretended :
Just buy a crimp tool and box of assorted ferrules (from 0.5 to 10mm)
from either eBay or Amazon for about £20 all in.

Animal

Oct 2, 2022, 8:47:55 PM10/2/22
On Saturday, 1 October 2022 at 16:49:25 UTC+1, rick wrote:
> I am terminating some 3 core flex onto an mcb and busbar
> For a short final length connection.
>
> BS 7671 allows for using flexible cables, it does stipulate that:
> A flexible cable shall be used for fixed wiring only where the relevant
> provisions of the Regulations are met. Flexible cables used for fixed
> wiring shall be of the heavy duty type unless the risk of damage during
> installation and service, due to impact or other mechanical stresses, is
> low or has been minimized or protection against mechanical damage is
> provided.
>

> In this case risk of damage is low - The cable will be clipped direct to
> rafters, and at least 2m above floor level.
>

> I don't have a ferrule crimp tool, I could twist and solder the stranded
> ends,

bad idea, solder is too soft to form a long term gas-tight joint under compression.

> or I could spirally wind around a short piece of solid conductor
> to provide mechanical strength

I wouldn't, having played with that idea long ago. High failure rate

> ..... is there a better way ?
>
> Would I be better to ignore bus bar and use WAGO connectors

ferrules.
Screw connectors are usually able to work well with flex, but I'd not trust MCB connections to.

rick

Oct 11, 2022, 8:34:42 AM10/11/22
I ended up buying a 6 way ferrule crimp tool - does do a very good job.