TOT Ikea click and collect

alan_m

Feb 19, 2024, 11:20:00 AMFeb 19

I ordered something from Ikea and decided to use click and collect.

They sent a text to say that my order was ready. The text also said that
they had sent an email but as the email goes to my laptop rather than my
phone I didn't have access to that.

The idea is that when you turn up at the click and collect you don't get
to speak with anyone. You stay in the car, fill in the form that is
linked in the email and someone will bring te goods to the car.

First problem I don't have the email. Fortunately the instructions are
written on the side of the click and collect building with a QR code
that has to be scanned with a link to launch a web page (on the phone).

Enter my order number (sent to me by text). Enter my mobile number (the
one they sent the text to).
Problem "your phone number is not recognised"
Check all details and resubmit
Problem "your phone number is not recognised"

I managed to get further by using my the email address I had used to
order rather than the mobile phone number.

Once I got to the final stage they confirmed my details including my
mobile phone number. They had added, and were looking for, a phone
number starting +44 and not just the number I had supplied!

mm0fmf

Feb 19, 2024, 12:14:01 PMFeb 19
An international version of the number is next thing I'd have tried.

SteveW

Feb 19, 2024, 12:25:19 PMFeb 19
Very poor programming.

Tim+

Feb 19, 2024, 1:39:16 PMFeb 19
alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> I ordered something from Ikea and decided to use click and collect.
>
> They sent a text to say that my order was ready. The text also said that
> they had sent an email but as the email goes to my laptop rather than my
> phone I didn't have access to that.
>
> The idea is that when you turn up at the click and collect you don't get
> to speak with anyone. You stay in the car, fill in the form that is
> linked in the email and someone will bring te goods to the car.
>
> First problem I don't have the email. Fortunately the instructions are
> written on the side of the click and collect building with a QR code
> that has to be scanned with a link to launch a web page (on the phone).

I’m confused. You have web access on your phone but no email access?

Why, or rather, why not?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Scott

Feb 19, 2024, 2:21:09 PMFeb 19
Me too, and without any spaces. I have just looked at my VOIP billing
and all the numbers are shown in international format. I have also
entered all numbers in international format on my mobile phone for use
abroad, though I expect the network would be able to interpret UK
numbers.

mm0fmf

Feb 19, 2024, 2:49:53 PMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 19:21, Scott wrote:
> though I expect the network would be able to interpret UK
> numbers.

I believe it should when you roam. So an 0171xxxxx number on a UK phone
rings a number in London when your are not roaming and it should be
interpreted as a UK number when you have roamed. I remember seeing that
my mates EE phone would do that when we were in Germany and he would get
a London number but my Three phone would try and dial it as a German
number. I always had to put the +44 in to get UK numbers when roaming.

There's a name for the this feature that I can no longer remember.

alan_m

Feb 19, 2024, 3:01:07 PMFeb 19
I can send emails on the phone and have a gmail email set-up on the
phone but elect to only have email client for all my private emails
set-up on my laptop. I do not use web interfaces for email. I prefer to
keep all my emails in one place.

In this case I was already travelling when I got the text on my phone.
The email would only have been picked up by my laptop when I next logged
on, at home.

When ordering Ikea only mentioned sending a text message when the order
was ready, nothing about an associated email. It would have also been
easy for them to have put the web page link in the text message - but
that would have been too sensible.

Scott

Feb 19, 2024, 3:08:30 PMFeb 19
Except that it's now 020 7xxx xxxx (unless newer format).

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 19, 2024, 3:59:38 PMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 16:19, alan_m wrote:
> I ordered something from Ikea

Well whatever did you want to do that for?

private property.

Karl Marx

alan_m

Feb 19, 2024, 5:05:50 PMFeb 19
> On 19/02/2024 16:19, alan_m wrote:
>> I ordered something from Ikea
>
> Well whatever did you want to do that for?

The two pieces that I ordered and were not expensive. The quality of
both is a lot better than I've seen elsewhere, at a comparable price.

I'm not a regular user of Ikea

Tim+

Feb 20, 2024, 2:48:40 AMFeb 20
alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 19/02/2024 18:39, Tim+ wrote:
>> alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I ordered something from Ikea and decided to use click and collect.
>>>
>>> They sent a text to say that my order was ready. The text also said that
>>> they had sent an email but as the email goes to my laptop rather than my
>>> phone I didn't have access to that.
>>>
>>> The idea is that when you turn up at the click and collect you don't get
>>> to speak with anyone. You stay in the car, fill in the form that is
>>> linked in the email and someone will bring te goods to the car.
>>>
>>> First problem I don't have the email. Fortunately the instructions are
>>> written on the side of the click and collect building with a QR code
>>> that has to be scanned with a link to launch a web page (on the phone).
>>
>> I’m confused. You have web access on your phone but no email access?
>>

> I can send emails on the phone and have a gmail email set-up on the
> phone but elect to only have email client for all my private emails
> set-up on my laptop. I do not use web interfaces for email. I prefer to
> keep all my emails in one place.

Struggling with this. I don’t “keep” my emails anywhere. I just access them
with which device I have to hand whether that be Android phone, iPad or pc.

Now back in the dark ages of POP only access where I might have downloaded
them to a device and deleted them from the server but since the invention
of IMAP access I ditched that approach. I assume most folk do similarly.

> In this case I was already travelling when I got the text on my phone.
> The email would only have been picked up by my laptop when I next logged
> on, at home.

Or accessible on your smart phone at any time…

> When ordering Ikea only mentioned sending a text message when the order
> was ready, nothing about an associated email.

Admittedly if email information was required for making the pick-up they
should have explicitly said so.

Tim Streater

Feb 20, 2024, 3:06:37 AMFeb 20
On 20 Feb 2024 at 07:48:34 GMT, "Tim+" <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

> alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>> I can send emails on the phone and have a gmail email set-up on the
>> phone but elect to only have email client for all my private emails
>> set-up on my laptop. I do not use web interfaces for email. I prefer to
>> keep all my emails in one place.
>
> Struggling with this. I don’t “keep” my emails anywhere. I just access them
> with which device I have to hand whether that be Android phone, iPad or pc.
>
> Now back in the dark ages of POP only access where I might have downloaded
> them to a device and deleted them from the server but since the invention
> of IMAP access I ditched that approach. I assume most folk do similarly.

Nope. I keep them locally so I have control of them. And since mail on the
phone is insecure, I don't ever have it there either.

--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy Microsoft because the IBM Selectric didn't suck much" - P Seebach, afc

SteveW

Feb 20, 2024, 4:33:25 AMFeb 20
On 20/02/2024 08:06, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2024 at 07:48:34 GMT, "Tim+" <timdo...@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>
>> alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I can send emails on the phone and have a gmail email set-up on the
>>> phone but elect to only have email client for all my private emails
>>> set-up on my laptop. I do not use web interfaces for email. I prefer to
>>> keep all my emails in one place.
>>
>> Struggling with this. I don’t “keep” my emails anywhere. I just access them
>> with which device I have to hand whether that be Android phone, iPad or pc.
>>
>> Now back in the dark ages of POP only access where I might have downloaded
>> them to a device and deleted them from the server but since the invention
>> of IMAP access I ditched that approach. I assume most folk do similarly.
>
> Nope. I keep them locally so I have control of them. And since mail on the
> phone is insecure, I don't ever have it there either.

That's one of the reasons I have a home server. It downloads our emails
from our domain host and sends our emails via it. That means our emails
are stored locally and we have important ones from many years ago. The
system is unaffected if we change ISPs. Our mobiles then access our server.

Why is it insecure on the phone? Mine uses encrypted connections and
locks to physical access within 30 seconds of non-use.

mm0fmf

Feb 20, 2024, 8:01:18 AMFeb 20
Yes, funny how the 0171 is burnt in my mind. Probably from working days.
01 became 0171 / 0181 in 1990 and it's when I'd be making plenty of
calls to companies with 0171 numbers. But looking back, calling
0207/0208 numbers is something I never seem to do. I suppose it had all
become email/web based. Checking now there is just one 020 number in
nearly 200 numbers in my mobile phone.

Tim Streater

Feb 20, 2024, 12:41:44 PMFeb 20
Apple's Mail doesn't give enough control over the downloading of images when
the user views the mail. That is, you can either prevent that at all times or
allow it at all times. When I wrote my email client I made it such that
downloading was prevented when viewing the mail in the Preview area, unless
the mail had been moved to another mailbox EXCEPT that such downloading is
prevented at all times for mails in the Junk or Trash mailboxes. That prevents
a spam mail from phoning home.

Since I'm not going to see the mail in the list of Inbox mails, then zoom off
to the Prefs to prevent image download, then look at the mail and decide it's
OK for images to be downloaded, and zoom off to the Prefs again to re-enable
that. Result: I took my mail off the phone

--
"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled." - Sir Barnett Cocks (1907-1989)

ken

Feb 20, 2024, 12:50:48 PMFeb 20
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 04:41:39 +1100, Tim Streater <t...@streater.me.uk>
You can run the gmail and/or the yahoo app
on your iphone and they allow control of that.

SteveW

Feb 20, 2024, 12:54:57 PMFeb 20
Ah, Android (certainly the app I use) does allow individual approval of
image downloads for each email, at the time of viewing.

Tim+

Feb 20, 2024, 1:37:27 PMFeb 20
The native email app on my iPad certainly allows me to block all images by
default and to then download them with a simple click of a link. I’d be
surprised if iPhones were any different.

Surely “prevent at all times” coupled with a simple override is all you
need?