How to unclog kitchen waste pipe? One Shot gets very hot....

Eusebius

Dec 3, 2021, 1:33:21 PM12/3/21
There appears to be a blockage somewhere in the kitchen waste pipe going from the sink, no other units in kitchen. Water goes down slowly with a glug glug sound. It's below the U bend, and siphon is clear. Poured One Shot down but the pipes got really hot and so put cold water immediately for fear it would melt the glue holding the PVC pipes.

Help!

Murmansk

Dec 3, 2021, 1:54:44 PM12/3/21
Have you tried filling the sink with water so it's an inch deep or so and then using a plunger whilst covering the overflow with a wet rag?

Eusebius

Dec 3, 2021, 2:24:23 PM12/3/21
On Friday, 3 December 2021 at 18:54:44 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
> Have you tried filling the sink with water so it's an inch deep or so and then using a plunger whilst covering the overflow with a wet rag?

Thanks! That worked pretty well - had to use a few layers of duct tape over the overflow. Several small pieces of black gunk came up into the sink and the flow appears to be better.

Owain Lastname

Dec 3, 2021, 3:04:00 PM12/3/21
On Friday, 3 December 2021 at 18:33:21 UTC, Eusebius wrote:
> There appears to be a blockage somewhere in the kitchen waste pipe going from the sink, no other units in kitchen. Water goes down slowly with a glug glug sound. It's below the U bend, and siphon is clear. Poured One Shot down but the pipes got really hot and so put cold water immediately for fear it would melt the glue holding the PVC pipes.

Wastepipes are usually solvent welded rather than glued, so the joint should be as strong as the pipe.

Owain

Martin Brown

Dec 3, 2021, 3:21:39 PM12/3/21
Then hit it with the other drain cleaner again to see off all the residues.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andrew

Dec 3, 2021, 4:06:15 PM12/3/21
On 03/12/2021 19:24, Eusebius wrote:
Don't pour fat from cooking down the sink !. That's what blocks
up pipes and drains. Pour it into an empty tin or anything that is
normally discarded but not made of thermoplastic and let it cool
and solidify, then bin it.

alan_m

Dec 3, 2021, 4:11:59 PM12/3/21
On 03/12/2021 19:24, Eusebius wrote:
Follow-up with some washing soda

https://groceries.asda.com/product/limescale-remover-drain-unblocker/homecare-soda-crystals/19846

Also available in most supermarkets and pound type shops for under £1
per 1Kg.

Google drain block and soda crystal

Also used for getting rid of smells from washing machines (hot wash with
a cup-full of washing soda)

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Dec 4, 2021, 5:08:34 AM12/4/21
It may be grease over the years with any kind of fibrous material it can
form a surprisingly solid and smelly blob. Unfortunately the last time
proprietary de bungers did not clear it, I had to get a plumber in though
take it all tobits, and to add further issues the bottom of the trap could
not be removed, it was stuck, being plastic, so ended up with a new trap and
some trimming of the original pipe to make it fit,No trouble since, but I
did the other day try to remove the trap bottom, but its stuck again so
keeping fingers crossed.
I think you have to get it really hot to unglue the pipes, the seal that
went on mine was not the pack seal but the one to the metal pipe through the
wall.

I don't like pipework. The last problem I had was one of those slightly
bendy convoluted cold water pipes used to feed taps so the flexing does not
cause a leak, we had a pin hole in the hot one which made the cupboard very
messy.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Eusebius" <performan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Dec 4, 2021, 5:10:23 AM12/4/21
I used to take of the plug chain from the middle of the overflow, and
actually place arubber cup over the hole before using the plunger, Seemed to
work better with warm water and a dash of vinegar for some odd reason.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Murmansk" <stai...@gmail.com> wrote in message

John Rumm

Dec 5, 2021, 6:10:46 PM12/5/21
The "glue" is typically solvent weld - so it's good for the same
temperature as the pipe itself, since it is in effect made from the same
stuff.

--
Cheers,

John.