who remembers these?

Jim Stewart ...

May 25, 2022, 5:01:19 AM5/25/22

Rod Speed

May 25, 2022, 5:11:06 AM5/25/22

Colin Bignell

May 25, 2022, 7:35:58 AM5/25/22
On 25/05/2022 10:01, Jim Stewart ... wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfB37H9goKc

ISTR there was a bit of a thing for putting sweets in cigarette style packs.

--
Colin Bignell

Max Demian

May 25, 2022, 8:16:24 AM5/25/22
I only remember the sweet cigarettes, white candy with red ends. And
there were ones in rice paper over chocolate.

--
Max Demian

Colin Bignell

May 25, 2022, 8:22:44 AM5/25/22
Besides those, I also recall sticks of candied ginger packed in a
flip-top pack.

--
Colin Bignell

R D S

May 25, 2022, 8:52:30 AM5/25/22
On 25/05/2022 13:16, Max Demian wrote:

> I only remember the sweet cigarettes, white candy with red ends. And
> there were ones in rice paper over chocolate.
> Same,
In hindsight it's fairly outrageous!

Robin

May 25, 2022, 8:58:34 AM5/25/22
I'd like to blame my 25 years as a pipe smoker on liquorice pipes (with
red sprinkles on the end)

--
Robin

SH

May 25, 2022, 9:16:51 AM5/25/22
On 25/05/2022 12:35, Colin Bignell wrote:
I remember those, there were two versions:

One was were white casndy sticks with a bit of red food dabbed at one end

and the other was chocolate sticks with a paper wrapper that could slide
off as you ate the chocolate.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sweets+that+look+like+cigarettes&atb=v314-1&iax=images&ia=images

Peeler

May 25, 2022, 10:57:59 AM5/25/22
On Wed, 25 May 2022 19:10:55 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Hawk addressing the obnoxious senile Australian pest:
"I'm willing to bet you scream your own name when jacking off."
MID: <s78tjv$14d$2...@dont-email.me>

Jim Stewart ...

May 25, 2022, 12:23:52 PM5/25/22
was yummy

Jim Stewart ...

May 25, 2022, 12:24:19 PM5/25/22
totly

Max Demian

May 25, 2022, 12:33:16 PM5/25/22
On 25/05/2022 13:52, R D S wrote:
> On 25/05/2022 13:16, Max Demian wrote:
>>
>> I only remember the sweet cigarettes, white candy with red ends. And
>> there were ones in rice paper over chocolate.

> In hindsight it's fairly outrageous!

Only if you think cigarettes are Spawn of the Devil.

And if you think children should be protected from the vicissitudes of
life until they suddenly, aged 16 or 18, are released into a world of
work, alcohol, sex, knives, glue, gambling...

Better to allow them to learn about life gradually.

--
Max Demian

Rod Speed

May 25, 2022, 1:52:29 PM5/25/22
Max Demian <max_d...@bigfoot.com> wrote
> Colin Bignell wrote
>> Jim Stewart ... wrote

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfB37H9goKc

>> ISTR there was a bit of a thing for putting sweets in cigarette style
>> packs.

> I only remember the sweet cigarettes, white candy with red ends.

Yeah, me too, and I don't rememeber buying them in cigarette
packet like boxes, but that may just be because as a little kid
I likely didnt have enough cash for that many at a time.

> And there were ones in rice paper over chocolate.

Don't remember those but might if I saw a picture of them.

Rod Speed

May 25, 2022, 1:57:42 PM5/25/22
R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> wrote
Dunno, it is really just another style of sweet with
kids selecting what they want from a very visible
display and being very careful about what they pick.

It doesn't encourage them ot smoke real cigarettes.

Peeler

May 25, 2022, 2:16:28 PM5/25/22
On Thu, 26 May 2022 03:57:34 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

David Plowman about senile Rodent Speed's trolling:
"Wodney is doing a lot of morphing these days. Must be even more desperate
than usual for attention."
MID: <59a60da...@davenoise.co.uk>

Peeler

May 25, 2022, 2:17:11 PM5/25/22
On Thu, 26 May 2022 03:52:21 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Shit you're thick/pathetic excuse for a troll."
MID: <ogoa38$pul$1...@news.mixmin.net>

Colin Bignell

May 25, 2022, 3:17:17 PM5/25/22
The tobacco companies allowed the use of their brand names for some of
them, so they may not have shared that opinion.

--
Colin Bignell

Rod Speed

May 25, 2022, 3:51:28 PM5/25/22
Colin Bignell <c...@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote
But it is rather like massive great roadside billboards,
it is very far from clear whether they have any effect
at all on what is bought, regardless of what the
advertisers believe. Same with the big billboards
by tobacco companys, it is very far from clear that
that had any effect on which kids started smoking.

Colin Bignell

May 25, 2022, 4:37:26 PM5/25/22
As somebody once said, half the money I spend on advertising is wasted.
Unfortunately, nobody can tell me which half.

--
Colin Bignell

Rod Speed

May 25, 2022, 5:08:05 PM5/25/22
It is far from clear that only half is wasted.

Particularly with encouraging kids to smoke.

Peeler

May 25, 2022, 5:15:59 PM5/25/22
On Thu, 26 May 2022 07:07:56 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

dennis@home to senile know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."

Colin Bignell

May 25, 2022, 6:10:19 PM5/25/22
But it makes a better sound bite that way.

> Particularly with encouraging kids to smoke.

--
Colin Bignell

Rod Speed

May 25, 2022, 8:00:20 PM5/25/22
Still just more advertising bullshit.

Peeler

May 26, 2022, 4:42:39 AM5/26/22
On Thu, 26 May 2022 10:00:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 88-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

Jim Stewart ...

May 26, 2022, 5:33:22 AM5/26/22
the half they spent on me

R D S

May 26, 2022, 6:21:58 AM5/26/22
On 25/05/2022 17:33, Max Demian wrote:
> On 25/05/2022 13:52, R D S wrote:
>> On 25/05/2022 13:16, Max Demian wrote:
>>>
>>> I only remember the sweet cigarettes, white candy with red ends. And
>>> there were ones in rice paper over chocolate.
>
>> In hindsight it's fairly outrageous!
>
> Only if you think cigarettes are Spawn of the Devil.

I do, my mother was a heavy smoker, always skint and and died age 49
riddled with all sorts of cancer. I turned 49 this year and it's doing
my head in to say the least :)

> And if you think children should be protected from the vicissitudes of
> life until they suddenly, aged 16 or 18, are released into a world of
> work, alcohol, sex, knives, glue, gambling...

I don't know, there's no easy answer is there? But back to fags, i've
been a smoker myself and when I started to sound like my mum had in the
mornings I decided to give up. It was a hard slog with many failed attempts.
They are dangerous, addictive things that bring no real benefit IMO, but
if you enjoy a puff on one, go for it, we all have our vices.

Max Demian

May 26, 2022, 6:37:33 AM5/26/22
I tried to take up smoking but never could get into it. I don't think
I've smoked a single cigarette [1] since Bensons were 5/5 for 20. My dad
said it took him some time to acquire the habit. He died aged 92. I
think he only smoked 10 a day. Roll ups made with St. Julien (actually a
pipe tobacco).

[1] A few spliffs excepted. (Couldn't you make them with dried mint if
you didn't like tobacco?)

--
Max Demian

whisky-dave

May 26, 2022, 8:39:33 AM5/26/22
I'm not sure sweet cigarettes and real cigarettes have much in common.
One possibility is so kids can act like their parents.
It happens with girls putting on their mums make-up and shoes
and then there are other role models for boys too, and most start with their dad.

> --
> Max Demian

whisky-dave

May 26, 2022, 9:17:57 AM5/26/22
I think it's very clear otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Its down to normalising things, same with most things.
In victorian times even an ankle being shown was outrageous
See a girl in a mini skirt if she's it's noticable but in the 1960s
less so.

Also think of some of the bands/singers etc on TV if they aren't shown they don't make money.
Works in politics too.

whisky-dave

May 26, 2022, 9:26:26 AM5/26/22
If you want a menthol spliff but not everyone likes menthol tobacco anyway
some like Liquorice papers, I think you can use rosemary and similar herbs.

Then there's these
https://farmersblend.co.uk/apps/webstore

But I've heard the best tobacco is american spirit as it doesn't contain those nasty extra chemiclas
that they add to other tobaccos to help it burn.

> --
> Max Demian

Dave Plowman (News)

May 26, 2022, 10:42:05 AM5/26/22
In article <t6nkc2$e00$1...@dont-email.me>,
R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't know, there's no easy answer is there? But back to fags, i've
> been a smoker myself and when I started to sound like my mum had in the
> mornings I decided to give up. It was a hard slog with many failed
> attempts. They are dangerous, addictive things that bring no real
> benefit IMO, but if you enjoy a puff on one, go for it, we all have our
> vices.

Many seem to have changed to vaping. Still get the needed nicotine without
all the tars, etc.

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Fredxx

May 26, 2022, 12:31:35 PM5/26/22
> In article <t6nkc2$e00$1...@dont-email.me>,
> R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I don't know, there's no easy answer is there? But back to fags, i've
>> been a smoker myself and when I started to sound like my mum had in the
>> mornings I decided to give up. It was a hard slog with many failed
>> attempts. They are dangerous, addictive things that bring no real
>> benefit IMO, but if you enjoy a puff on one, go for it, we all have our
>> vices.
>
> Many seem to have changed to vaping. Still get the needed nicotine without
> all the tars, etc.

I also know people who move from cigs to vaping without the nicotine.
For them it seems the habit is putting something in your mouth.

JNugent

May 26, 2022, 1:16:07 PM5/26/22
On 25/05/2022 12:35 pm, Colin Bignell wrote:

> On 25/05/2022 10:01, Jim Stewart ... wrote:

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfB37H9goKc
>
> ISTR there was a bit of a thing for putting sweets in cigarette style
> packs.

A good idea for keeping such things in a pocket or a handbag, with less
risk of melting due to body heat in a pocket or being soiled or damaged
in a bag by contact with other things.

I vaguely remember the product or something like it.

Rod Speed

May 26, 2022, 3:52:15 PM5/26/22
whisky-dave <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote
> rod.sp...@gmail.com wrote
>> Colin Bignell <c...@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote
>> > Rod Speed wrote

>> And

>> > The tobacco companies allowed the use of their brand names for some of
>> > them, so they may not have shared that opinion.
>> But it is rather like massive great roadside billboards,
>> it is very far from clear whether they have any effect
>> at all on what is bought, regardless of what the
>> advertisers believe. Same with the big billboards
>> by tobacco companys, it is very far from clear that
>> that had any effect on which kids started smoking.

> I think it's very clear otherwise they wouldn't do it.

I have never bought that hoary old line.

The reality is that there is no way to measure what effect
a particular approach to advertising has on sales.

In spades with those fake cigarettes on kid's smoking real cigarettes.

> Its down to normalising things, same with most things.

Nope. That's not what kids starting to smoke real cigarettes is about.

> In victorian times even an ankle being shown was outrageous

And yet they were into quite literally whipping and raping kids
for sport as
Lock, Joan. Scotland Yard Casebook. Lume Books. Kindle Edition.
proves.

> See a girl in a mini skirt if she's it's noticable but in the 1960s
> less so.

Thats not what kids starting to smoke real cigarettes is about.

Hilarious example of that with a 2 year old of a mate of mine.
He was asked what he wanted to drink with his breakfast.

He requested coffee for the first time 'because I am a big boy now'

> Also think of some of the bands/singers etc on TV if they aren't shown
> they don't make money.

That's about making people aware of them. Not necessary with real
cigarettes.

> Works in politics too.

But not with getting kids to smoke real cigarettes.

And they are into smoking cannabis without any advertising at all too.

Rod Speed

May 26, 2022, 4:04:54 PM5/26/22
Fredxx <fre...@spam.uk> wrote
> Dave Plowman (News) wrote
>> R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> I don't know, there's no easy answer is there? But back to fags, i've
>>> been a smoker myself and when I started to sound like my mum had in the
>>> mornings I decided to give up. It was a hard slog with many failed
>>> attempts. They are dangerous, addictive things that bring no real
>>> benefit IMO, but if you enjoy a puff on one, go for it, we all have our
>>> vices.
>> Many seem to have changed to vaping. Still get the needed nicotine
>> without
>> all the tars, etc.
>
> I also know people who move from cigs to vaping without the nicotine.
> For them it seems the habit is putting something in your mouth.

Guess it looks better than sucking your thumb.

Peeler

May 26, 2022, 4:17:32 PM5/26/22
On Fri, 27 May 2022 06:04:47 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Hawk addressing the obnoxious senile Australian pest:
"I'm willing to bet you scream your own name when jacking off."
MID: <s78tjv$14d$2...@dont-email.me>

Peeler

May 26, 2022, 4:17:58 PM5/26/22
On Fri, 27 May 2022 05:52:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Dave Plowman (News)

May 27, 2022, 9:56:00 AM5/27/22
In article <t6oa12$dj6$1...@dont-email.me>,
Be an easy habit to break, then? Can't see there'd be any withdrawal
symptoms, unlike from a drug.

Nicotine vaping juice is available in a variety of strengths. So
relatively simple to reduce the dose gradually.

--
*i souport publik edekashun.

harry

May 29, 2022, 4:43:33 AM5/29/22
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 1:22:44 PM UTC+1, Colin Bignell wrote:
> On 25/05/2022 13:16, Max Demian wrote:
> >>
> >> ISTR there was a bit of a thing for putting sweets in cigarette style
> >> packs.
> >
> > I only remember the sweet cigarettes, white candy with red ends. And
> > there were ones in rice paper over chocolate.
> >
> Besides those, I also recall sticks of candied ginger packed in a
> flip-top pack.
>
> --
> Colin Bignell

Liquorice pipes!!!!!!!!!!!

whisky-dave

May 31, 2022, 10:46:45 AM5/31/22
Yes there is.
If a company didn;t get more sales from advertising they wouldn't spend mony doing it.
Otherwsie why spend a fortune on burger ads and toys when kids are watching TV.
why would coke spend so much on advertising on billboards in london.
Same with Apple at the superbowl, like handing out flyers for a gig.
It's even more clear with scammers sending out 1000s of emails even if they just get 0.01% replying they can get money.

> In spades with those fake cigarettes on kid's smoking real cigarettes.

Like kids with toy cars, and those that have watched star trek and work for nasa or become astronomers.
Yiou ask most film stars or singers or sports personalities most start after seeing or hearing someone
on TV or live.

> > Its down to normalising things, same with most things.
> Nope. That's not what kids starting to smoke real cigarettes is about.

It is like if kids see there heros wearing nike they'll follow, same with most products.
which is why advertises use famous people and not you.

> > In victorian times even an ankle being shown was outrageous
> And yet they were into quite literally whipping and raping kids
> for sport as
> Lock, Joan. Scotland Yard Casebook. Lume Books. Kindle Edition.
> proves.

So that has always happened the only thing that really changes is teh law.

> > See a girl in a mini skirt if she's it's noticable but in the 1960s
> > less so.
> Thats not what kids starting to smoke real cigarettes is about.

Why do you think kids smoke real cigarettes ?

Is it because they see someone in hospital dying of long cacncer.

> Hilarious example of that with a 2 year old of a mate of mine.
> He was asked what he wanted to drink with his breakfast.
>
> He requested coffee for the first time 'because I am a big boy now'

Exactly , how does he even know coffee exists ?
Why not say he wants klingon blood wine ?
You see he's see adults drink coffee , he wants to be seen as an adult, and drinkming coffee
will make him be one.

> > Also think of some of the bands/singers etc on TV if they aren't shown
> > they don't make money.
> That's about making people aware of them. Not necessary with real
> cigarettes.

Basically the same thing.

> > Works in politics too.
>
> But not with getting kids to smoke real cigarettes.
Why would a kid want to smoke a real cigarette thenb.

Why not try smoking a cucumber

> And they are into smoking cannabis without any advertising at all too.

It;'s called peer pressure, be one of the lads.
That's how my dad got into smaokming the film stars after the all smoked,
and the advertising fo the time told you how good it was for you, even doctors recommeneded it.

Rod Speed

May 31, 2022, 4:17:56 PM5/31/22
Fraid not.

> If a company didn;t get more sales fromadvertising they wouldn't spend
> mony doing it.

But there is no way to know if they did get more
sales from that new massive great billboard, let
alone from allowing their brand to be used on
the packets of fake cigarettes sold to kids.

> Otherwsie why spend a fortune on burgerads and toys when kids are
> watching TV.

That isn't the advertising being discussed.

> why would coke spend so much on advertising on billboards in london.

Because they don't want to risk trying no billboards.

> Same with Apple at the superbowl, like handing out flyers for a gig.

Those are clearly impossible to measure the effect on sales.

> It's even more clear with scammers sending out 1000s of emailseven if
> they just get 0.01% replying they can get money.

That isn't the advertising being discussed.

>> In spades with those fake cigarettes on kid's smoking real cigarettes.

> Like kids with toy cars,

Nothing like in fact. You don't see kids buying
the real car that they used to have as toy cars.

I had a race car as one of my toy cars and never
did even buy a sports car, let alone a race car
which has only got space for the driver and
wheels completely outside the body.

> and those that have watched star trek andwork for nasa or become
> astronomers.

It is very far from clear that star trek is what saw those
end up working for nasa or become astronomers.

> Yiou ask most film stars or singers or sports personalitiesmost start
> after seeing or hearing someone on TV or live.

That is completely different to fake cigarettes for kids.

I did eat some fake cigarettes as a kid and my parents were
smart enough to allow their kids to try real cigarettes and
I never did smoke more than a few packets of real cigarettes
and brand I chose wasnt the brand on the packet of the fakes.

>> > Its down to normalising things, same with most things.
>> Nope. That's not what kids starting to smoke real cigarettes is about.

> It is like if kids see there heros wearing nike they'll follow, same
> with most products.

But you don't get the with fake cigarettes.

> which is why advertises use famous people and not you.

I never buy anything because some 'celebrity' claims to wear them.

>> > In victorian times even an ankle being shown was outrageous

>> And yet they were into quite literally whipping and raping kids
>> for sport as
>> Lock, Joan. Scotland Yard Casebook. Lume Books. Kindle Edition.
>> proves.

> So that has always happened

That is far from clear.

> the only thing that really changes is teh law.

Wrong with murder.

>> > See a girl in a mini skirt if she's it's noticable but in the 1960s
>> > less so.

>> Thats not what kids starting to smoke real cigarettes is about.

> Why do you think kids smoke real cigarettes ?

Because that is what adults do.

> Is it because they see someone in hospital dying of long cacncer.

>> Hilarious example of that with a 2 year old of a mate of mine.
>> He was asked what he wanted to drink with his breakfast.

>> He requested coffee for the first time 'because I am a big boy now'

> Exactly , how does he even know coffee exists ?

Because he sees his parents and visiting adults drink it.

He was in fact very fussy about what he would
eat when younger but isn't like that anymore.

> Why not say he wants klingon blood wine ?
> You see he's see adults drink coffee , he wants to be seen as an adult,
> and drinkming coffee will make him be one.

And thats why kids try real cigarettes, not because fake cigs are sold to
kids.

>> > Also think of some of the bands/singers etc on TV if they aren't shown
>> > they don't make money.

>> That's about making people aware of them. Not necessary with real
>> cigarettes.
>
> Basically the same thing.

Nope, nothing like that. There is no need to make kids
aware of cigarettes by marketing fake cigarettes, kids
used to see plenty of adults smoking real cigarettes.

>> > Works in politics too.

>> But not with getting kids to smoke real cigarettes.

> Why would a kid want to smoke a real cigarette thenb.

Because that's what they see adults doing.

> Why not try smoking a cucumber

Because they never see anyone doing that.

>> And they are into smoking cannabis without any advertising at all too.

> It;'s called peer pressure, be one of the lads.

And that is why the fake cigarettes arent the reason kids start smoking.

> That's how my dad got into smaokming the film stars after the all smoked,
> and the advertising fo the time told you how good it was for you, even
> doctors recommeneded it.

Irrelevant to whether FAKE CIGARETTES get kids into smoking.

Peeler