Letter boxes, legal requirement ?

Roger R

Nov 9, 2009, 4:51:07 PM11/9/09
From time to time serious house fires are caused by flamable substances
being pushed through letter boxes. Homes in many other countries do not
have these apertures in their front doors, but instead have a separate metal
box or cassette of boxes if flats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_box

Is the provision of a letter box in the front door a legal requirement in
the UK ?

If provision of a letter box is a requirement, now that the post office
counters have a plastic size template limiting the size for first class
minimum postage letter to a narrow slot of 165 mmm x 5 mm, perhaps we can
reduce our aperture to that size and still meet the regulation.

Regrettably even this would not stop junk mail coming through it.

Roger R

ARWadsworth

Nov 9, 2009, 4:56:35 PM11/9/09

"Roger R" <d-e-c-o...@clara.co.uk> wrote in message

> From time to time serious house fires are caused by flamable substances
> being pushed through letter boxes. Homes in many other countries do not
> have these apertures in their front doors, but instead have a separate
> metal
> box or cassette of boxes if flats.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_box
>
> Is the provision of a letter box in the front door a legal requirement in
> the UK ?

No, you do not need a letterbox.

You are supposed to display a house name or number though.

Adam

mark

Nov 9, 2009, 5:03:10 PM11/9/09

> From time to time serious house fires are caused by flamable substances
> being pushed through letter boxes. Homes in many other countries do not
> have these apertures in their front doors, but instead have a separate
> metal
> box or cassette of boxes if flats.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_box
>
> Is the provision of a letter box in the front door a legal requirement in
> the UK ?

It can't be a legal requirement. I have an unoccupied house ( I'm
renovating it) and it is a condition of the blg.ins that I have either no
letter box or if I do, that it is screwed shut. I have a metal dustbin lid
on the step for post.

mark

Invisible Man

Nov 9, 2009, 4:58:14 PM11/9/09
I have seen in the UK properties with a locking box marked Mail fixed to
the front wall near the front door.
It seems reasonable to have somewhere for a postman to conveniently
deliver most mail. I am unaware of any requirement to have a letterbox.

Usenet Nutter

Nov 9, 2009, 5:49:45 PM11/9/09

I don't think you have worked out what Letter Sizing means . Your plan
will mean more people staying at home to get mail or more trips days
later to the Sorting Office to collect once they get carded ...if they
are lucky enough to get the card .

David in Normandy

Nov 9, 2009, 5:55:01 PM11/9/09
Roger R wrote:
> From time to time serious house fires are caused by flamable substances
> being pushed through letter boxes.

At one place in Nottingham I lived at I made a suitable slotted lockable
box and fastened it to the wall outside the front door and sealed up the
letter slot in the front door. A number of people in the area had
fireworks etc put through their letter box. I read of someone dying in
the UK the other day as a result of this sort of behaviour.

Since moving to France its the standard metal box next to the front gate.

--
David in Normandy. Davidin...@yahoo.fr
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Dave Liquorice

Nov 9, 2009, 5:52:32 PM11/9/09
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:51:07 -0000, Roger R wrote:

> From time to time serious house fires are caused by flamable substances
> being pushed through letter boxes.

And even causing the deaths of the occupants.

> If provision of a letter box is a requirement, now that the post office
> counters have a plastic size template limiting the size for first class
> minimum postage letter to a narrow slot of 165 mmm x 5 mm, perhaps we
> can reduce our aperture to that size and still meet the regulation.

What about the "large letter" size? That accomodates C4 envelopes to
take unfolded A4 sheets and up to 25mm thick. A reasonable proportion
of our mail is C4 sized not C5 or DL "letter" sized.

You don't need a letter box, as in hole in a door, but it makes sense
to have a letter box some where that the postie can leave you mail in
so it doesn't blow away, get soaked or stolen. Many places in rural
areas have boxes at the end of their track for post and other
deliveries to be left in.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Roger

Nov 9, 2009, 5:58:42 PM11/9/09

"Roger R" <d-e-c-o...@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
Be sure to remove your windows and brick up the holes too. Many fires
are caused by people smashing windows and throwing substances in. The
same goes for your doors, have them removed and the holes bricked up!

Owain

Nov 9, 2009, 6:00:47 PM11/9/09
On 9 Nov, 21:51, "Roger R" wrote:
> From time to time serious house fires are caused by flamable substances
> being pushed through letter boxes.

You can get arson-resistant letterbox enclosures, they're more common
on commercial property though.

> Is the provision of a letter box in the front door a legal requirement in
> the UK ?

No. Royal Mail require:

Your residence can be clearly identified (with a number, letter or
name) and has its own letterbox (or a secure lockable receptacle that
clearly corresponds to the residence)

unless there is a central delivery point or external mailbox for eg
flats.

Whether there is a legal requirement to be able to receive mail at an
address which you give to eg DVLA is another matter.

Owain

The Medway Handyman

Nov 9, 2009, 7:17:43 PM11/9/09

I wish more people took notice of that. This time of year especially at
around 5pm when I'm trying to find a house to do an estimate...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Medway Handyman

Nov 9, 2009, 7:20:20 PM11/9/09
David in Normandy wrote:
> Roger R wrote:
>> From time to time serious house fires are caused by flamable
>> substances being pushed through letter boxes.
>>

> At one place in Nottingham I lived at I made a suitable slotted
> lockable box and fastened it to the wall outside the front door and
> sealed up the letter slot in the front door. A number of people in
> the area had fireworks etc put through their letter box. I read of
> someone dying in the UK the other day as a result of this sort of
> behaviour.
> Since moving to France its the standard metal box next to the front
> gate.

Thus saving the trouble of cutting a letterbox size slot in a door - and
fitting one of the piss poor designed letterboxes. Why they can't recess
the spring is beyond me, cutting out a slot to take it is a right PITA.

george [dicegeorge]

Nov 9, 2009, 7:30:13 PM11/9/09
if you seal it airtight
and pump out all the air
then fire wont spread in a vacuum.

[g]

george [dicegeorge]

Nov 9, 2009, 7:32:20 PM11/9/09

> then fire wont spread in a vacuum.
>
> [g]
sorry that was stupid and a waste of time,
i'm going to bed.

[g]

Andy Cap

Nov 10, 2009, 2:09:25 AM11/10/09
The Medway Handyman wrote:

> Thus saving the trouble of cutting a letterbox size slot in a door - and
> fitting one of the piss poor designed letterboxes. Why they can't recess
> the spring is beyond me, cutting out a slot to take it is a right PITA.

I've had a couple now, of the type where both outside and inside
portions are the same, with sprung and sealed flaps, but with one part
sliding inside the other. They function well and are completely draft
proof, apart from when the paper guy doesn't push it right through !

Andy C

TheScullster

Nov 10, 2009, 3:34:30 AM11/10/09

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

>> You are supposed to display a house name or number though.
>
> I wish more people took notice of that. This time of year especially at
> around 5pm when I'm trying to find a house to do an estimate...
>

> --
> Dave - The Medway Handyman
> www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Surely that's an extra "chargeable" - I couldn't help noticing when trying
to find your house - sort of a job!!

Phil

Roger R

Nov 10, 2009, 4:06:41 AM11/10/09

"Andy Cap" <Andy...@nosuch.co.uk> wrote in message

The design of letter box fittings leaves a lot to be desired with many
offerings having inadequate width for an A4 envelope (even if only 5mm
thick) to pass through without being folded.

The type similar to your desription -as sold in B&Q- with brush draught
excluders inside both flaps has its limitations because flimsy envelopes
don't penetrate the inner brush/flap and remain crushed up in the inner
space. I find myself looking in the flap each day to see if my lottery
cheque for 94 million pounds has somehow got hidden in it.

The traditinal type with a single inward opening metal flap closed by a
strong spring also results in the flimsy letters being crushed as the
postman tries to force open the flap by thrusting the letter against it -
works sometimes. If the spring is weak the flap blows open allowing
draughts.

I'm inclined to think the type with a lift up outward opening flap is the
most efficient but its a two handed job for the postman - one to lift the
flap the other to thrust the item in.

Roger R

David in Normandy

Nov 10, 2009, 5:19:03 AM11/10/09
Owain wrote:

> Whether there is a legal requirement to be able to receive mail at an
> address which you give to eg DVLA is another matter.

DVLA aren't even consistent in this requirement themselves. They make a
fuss about needing to give them new address details if you move and it
being an offence not to tell them... but if you move abroad they have no
facility to record foreign addresses so specifically state they do not
need to be contacted. There is also no legal requirement to exchange a
licence for one in the new country of residence in the EU. So I have a
valid UK driving licence with a UK address on it that is five years out
of date and at which DVLA cannot contact me! The only requirement to
switch to a new licence in the new country is in the event of a traffic
offence requiring points.

The Natural Philosopher

Nov 10, 2009, 6:57:51 AM11/10/09
Roger R wrote:
> From time to time serious house fires are caused by flamable substances
> being pushed through letter boxes. Homes in many other countries do not
> have these apertures in their front doors, but instead have a separate metal
> box or cassette of boxes if flats.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_box
>
> Is the provision of a letter box in the front door a legal requirement in
> the UK ?

Dunno. I aint got one, BCO never said I should..

> If provision of a letter box is a requirement, now that the post office
> counters have a plastic size template limiting the size for first class
> minimum postage letter to a narrow slot of 165 mmm x 5 mm, perhaps we can
> reduce our aperture to that size and still meet the regulation.
>
> Regrettably even this would not stop junk mail coming through it.

Nothing stops junk mail.

Lobster

Nov 10, 2009, 7:10:03 AM11/10/09
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> ARWadsworth wrote:

>> You are supposed to display a house name or number though.
>
> I wish more people took notice of that. This time of year especially at
> around 5pm when I'm trying to find a house to do an estimate...

Be grateful you don't work round here then - not far from me is one of
those chocolate box villages where they don't "do" house numbers,
darling - it's all "The Grange" or "The Old Vicarage"; furthermore
streetlighting is just SO common, don't you know, that the place is in
pitch darkness after sundown. You want to try finding an address in
that place...

David

Lobster

Nov 10, 2009, 7:12:40 AM11/10/09
David in Normandy wrote:
> Owain wrote:
>

>> Whether there is a legal requirement to be able to receive mail at an
>> address which you give to eg DVLA is another matter.
>>

> DVLA aren't even consistent in this requirement themselves. They make a
> fuss about needing to give them new address details if you move and it
> being an offence not to tell them...

As I've very recently posted elsewhere by coincidence - when they send
out tax disc reminders (one of which I've just had one delivered, to
someone who moved away 18 months ago) the envelope states "do NOT return
to sender if undelivered" !!??!!

David

The Natural Philosopher

Nov 10, 2009, 7:13:37 AM11/10/09

If you are hanging around after curfew, you should be shot on
sight..pass me the Purdey, Pamela,, there's a passer-by, roamin' in the
gloamin. Must be a Roamany. Hasn't go a hound, anyway, so no bloody
excuse for a PM pee run.

> David

Lobster

Nov 10, 2009, 7:14:06 AM11/10/09
Roger R wrote:

> If provision of a letter box is a requirement, now that the post office
> counters have a plastic size template limiting the size for first class
> minimum postage letter to a narrow slot of 165 mmm x 5 mm, perhaps we can
> reduce our aperture to that size and still meet the regulation.

Isn't there a rule somewhere about not having letterbox slots in the
bottom of a door, tosave postie's back? Or did I dream that?

David

Owain

Nov 10, 2009, 7:56:12 AM11/10/09
On 10 Nov, 00:17, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
> > You are supposed to display a house name or number though.
> I wish more people took notice of that.  This time of year especially at
> around 5pm when I'm trying to find a house to do an estimate...

The local authority is responsible for enforcement. It's obviously a
concern for emergency vehicles trying to find somewhere.

Maybe when you eventually find the house you could sell them a solar
powered illuminated house number sign.

Owain

PeterC

Nov 10, 2009, 8:09:40 AM11/10/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:30:13 +0000, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

>> Be sure to remove your windows and brick up the holes too. Many fires
>> are caused by people smashing windows and throwing substances in. The
>> same goes for your doors, have them removed and the holes bricked up!
>>
> if you seal it airtight
> and pump out all the air
> then fire wont spread in a vacuum.

That much vacuum would be expensive - only a sucker would buy it.

Fill the house with CO2; that'll do the trick and cut globble worming.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

David in Normandy

Nov 10, 2009, 8:10:27 AM11/10/09
Owain wrote:
> Maybe when you eventually find the house you could sell them a solar
> powered illuminated house number sign.

I had one of those but it only lit the number up during daylight ;-)

Bruce

Nov 10, 2009, 8:46:15 AM11/10/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:57:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
<t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Roger R wrote:
>> If provision of a letter box is a requirement, now that the post office
>> counters have a plastic size template limiting the size for first class
>> minimum postage letter to a narrow slot of 165 mmm x 5 mm, perhaps we can
>> reduce our aperture to that size and still meet the regulation.
>>
>> Regrettably even this would not stop junk mail coming through it.
>>

>Nothing stops junk mail.

But you can elect not to receive the leaflets and flyers that the
Royal Mail delivers with the "real" mail. In my experience that cuts
down the total volume of stuff delivered by about half.

Jules

Nov 10, 2009, 9:11:12 AM11/10/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:09:25 +0000, Andy Cap wrote:
> I've had a couple now, of the type where both outside and inside
> portions are the same, with sprung and sealed flaps, but with one part
> sliding inside the other. They function well and are completely draft
> proof, apart from when the paper guy doesn't push it right through !

Mine's completely draught-proof too, because it's way down at the bottom
of the driveway. Pain in the bum when it's raining or snowing, though - I
need one of those pneumatic message-tube systems so I can suck mail back
from the box to the house :-)

george [dicegeorge]

Nov 10, 2009, 9:25:16 AM11/10/09
PeterC wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:30:13 +0000, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
>
>>> Be sure to remove your windows and brick up the holes too. Many fires
>>> are caused by people smashing windows and throwing substances in. The
>>> same goes for your doors, have them removed and the holes bricked up!
>>>
>> if you seal it airtight
>> and pump out all the air
>> then fire wont spread in a vacuum.
>
> That much vacuum would be expensive - only a sucker would buy it.
>
> Fill the house with CO2; that'll do the trick and cut globble worming.
if you fill it with CO
then if any oxygn did get in
it would dephlogistinate to CO2..

sleep welll..

[g]

Dave Liquorice

Nov 10, 2009, 10:39:51 AM11/10/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:11:12 -0600, Jules wrote:

> I need one of those pneumatic message-tube systems so I can suck mail
> back from the box to the house :-)

Lamson tubes, still available to buy if you want many supermarkets
have them to connect the tills to a secure cash room.

Wonder of you could rig something up with downspout piping and a wet
'n dry vacuum cleaner?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Peter Johnson

Nov 10, 2009, 12:08:08 PM11/10/09
<d-e-c-o...@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>If provision of a letter box is a requirement, now that the post office
>counters have a plastic size template limiting the size for first class
>minimum postage letter to a narrow slot of 165 mmm x 5 mm, perhaps we can
>reduce our aperture to that size and still meet the regulation.

You don't have newspapers delivered, do you?

Jules

Nov 10, 2009, 12:44:52 PM11/10/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:39:51 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:11:12 -0600, Jules wrote:
>
>> I need one of those pneumatic message-tube systems so I can suck mail
>> back from the box to the house :-)
>
> Lamson tubes, still available to buy if you want many supermarkets
> have them to connect the tills to a secure cash room.

Yes - and we have the strange concept of drive-in banks this side of the
Pond, which have those systems to transfer stuff between the vehicle and
the bank itself. (That whole idea still seems incredibly goofy somehow,
and I still prefer going inside and talking to a human being face-to-face :-)

> Wonder of you could rig something up with downspout piping and a wet 'n
> dry vacuum cleaner?

Maybe :-) The challenge might be making it bidirectional (because you
can use your US mailbox as a postbox, and send outgoing mail as well as
receiving it).

cheers

Jules

The Medway Handyman

Nov 10, 2009, 2:32:56 PM11/10/09

Genius! I'd never thought of that!

The Medway Handyman

Nov 10, 2009, 2:49:36 PM11/10/09
Owain wrote:
> On 10 Nov, 00:17, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
>>> You are supposed to display a house name or number though.
>> I wish more people took notice of that. This time of year especially
>> at around 5pm when I'm trying to find a house to do an estimate...
>
> The local authority is responsible for enforcement. It's obviously a
> concern for emergency vehicles trying to find somewhere.

Ambulance service seem to have it sussed. When a call comes onto the screen
in the ambulance the sat nav is automatically set. The controller can see
the ambulances sat nav on his screen. For Cat A calls the controller keeps
the caller online, so the crew can be updated on the situation (and the
caller can be told how far away the ambulance is).

When the ambulance is close the caller is told to go outside & wave like
mad. They also have side mounted floodlights on the newer trucks.

> Maybe when you eventually find the house you could sell them a solar
> powered illuminated house number sign.

Looking in to it already :-)

Owain

Nov 10, 2009, 4:22:17 PM11/10/09
On 10 Nov, 19:49, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
> When the ambulance is close the caller is told to go outside & wave like
> mad.

I'll remember that when I've nailed myself to the floor.

Owain

ARWadsworth

Nov 10, 2009, 4:53:16 PM11/10/09

"Owain" <spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote in message

You will need to make the phonecall before you nail yourself to the floor:-)

Adam

Owain

Nov 10, 2009, 5:23:37 PM11/10/09
On 10 Nov, 21:53, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
> >> When the ambulance is close the caller is told to go outside & wave like
> >> mad.
> > I'll remember that when I've nailed myself to the floor.
> You will need to make the phonecall before you nail yourself to the floor:-)

No, I need to nail myself to the floor within reach of the mobile
phone in my pocket.

Opening the front door might be a bit of a problem too...

Owain

ARWadsworth

Nov 10, 2009, 5:39:00 PM11/10/09

"Owain" <spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote in message

Jesus needed a hands free phone or a miracle.

Or did he phone his Dad for help?

Adam

The Medway Handyman

Nov 10, 2009, 6:22:33 PM11/10/09

The controller would tell you not too :-)

Or the system would trigger the arrival of Old Bill with the Big Red Key :-)

Tinkerer

Nov 11, 2009, 5:39:59 AM11/11/09

"Roger R" <d-e-c-o...@clara.co.uk> wrote in message

In my far off days as an instructor at "The London Postal Training School"
postmen were trained to always use two hands for safety. Many of the
sprung letter box flaps are made from thin stainless steel and the bottom
edge can be very sharp. A common cause of accidents was pushing the
letters in with one hand and then attempting to guillotine the fingers on
the way out, hence the training to open with one hand and insert with the
other.
--
Tinkerer

Mark

Nov 11, 2009, 5:32:52 AM11/11/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:17:43 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>ARWadsworth wrote:
>> "Roger R" <d-e-c-o...@clara.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> From time to time serious house fires are caused by flamable
>>> substances being pushed through letter boxes. Homes in many other
>>> countries do not have these apertures in their front doors, but
>>> instead have a separate metal
>>> box or cassette of boxes if flats.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_box
>>>
>>> Is the provision of a letter box in the front door a legal
>>> requirement in the UK ?
>>

>> No, you do not need a letterbox.

>> You are supposed to display a house name or number though.
>
>I wish more people took notice of that. This time of year especially at
>around 5pm when I'm trying to find a house to do an estimate...

I wish SWMBO would decide where she wants the house number put. I've
been waiting years to fit it.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Tim W

Nov 11, 2009, 6:01:23 AM11/11/09
Mark <i...@dontgetlotsofspamanymore.invalid>
wibbled on Wednesday 11 November 2009 10:32

> I wish SWMBO would decide where she wants the house number put. I've
> been waiting years to fit it.

Just put it up. The correct location will be quickly determined as "the
other place, silly!".

Or fix several in every possible location while you have the drill out and
simply unscrew the "wrong" ones when she complains.

Akin to buttering the top of a cat before lobbing it out of the window.

[Warning - may cause the Universe to implode]

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Mark

Nov 11, 2009, 6:15:36 AM11/11/09

Using two hands also makes it easier to remove your digits from the
dog's jaw.

PeterC

Nov 11, 2009, 9:23:13 AM11/11/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:10:27 +0100, David in Normandy wrote:

> Owain wrote:
>> Maybe when you eventually find the house you could sell them a solar
>> powered illuminated house number sign.
>>

> I had one of those but it only lit the number up during daylight ;-)

Prolly the same company that supplied my luminous sundial!

PeterC

Nov 11, 2009, 9:24:53 AM11/11/09

God knows.

PeterC

Nov 11, 2009, 9:28:00 AM11/11/09

Yebbut, a Large Feline Collider is cheap, innit (and can charge Li-ion
batteries).

Clint Sharp

Nov 11, 2009, 1:33:30 PM11/11/09
In message <pan.2009.11.10....@remove.this.gmail.com>, Jules
<jules.rich...@remove.this.gmail.com> writes

>Maybe :-) The challenge might be making it bidirectional (because you
>can use your US mailbox as a postbox, and send outgoing mail as well as
>receiving it).
Oooh, I like that idea, but can we add image recognition so it fires
junk mail back at the postman?

--
Clint Sharp

Dave Liquorice

Nov 11, 2009, 3:09:39 PM11/11/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:44:52 -0600, Jules wrote:

>> Wonder of you could rig something up with downspout piping and a
wet 'n
>> dry vacuum cleaner?
>
> Maybe :-) The challenge might be making it bidirectional (because you
> can use your US mailbox as a postbox, and send outgoing mail as well as
> receiving it).

Not that difficult use the suck side of the vacuum to get your mail
(inside suitable container alla Lamson Tubes) then use the blow side
to send out your mail to the box.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Hugo Nebula

Nov 12, 2009, 3:09:07 PM11/12/09
[Default] On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:10:03 +0000, a certain chimpanzee,
Lobster <davidlobs...@hotmail.com>, randomly hit the keyboard
and wrote:

>Be grateful you don't work round here then - not far from me is one of
>those chocolate box villages where they don't "do" house numbers,
>darling - it's all "The Grange" or "The Old Vicarage"; furthermore
>streetlighting is just SO common, don't you know, that the place is in
>pitch darkness after sundown. You want to try finding an address in
>that place...

Every house in my old patch in Somerset was called, "Beware Of The
Dog".
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Jules

Nov 12, 2009, 4:56:33 PM11/12/09

Could do. Actually, it might be useful if I can send/receive stuff
to/from immediate neighbours without any kind of postal service at all
(it's a bit of a trek, and it's the middle of hunting season here
right now). Maybe some arrangement of barcode scanners and valves in the
pipework so that stuff could be routed to the right place?

Heck, may as well extend it into town and use it to receive groceries,
dispose of rubbish etc. too...

Handling collisions might get interesting.

OK, I think I'm done ;-)

Frank Erskine

Nov 12, 2009, 5:24:07 PM11/12/09
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:09:07 +0000, Hugo Nebula <abuse@localhost>
wrote:

>[Default] On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:10:03 +0000, a certain chimpanzee,
>Lobster <davidlobs...@hotmail.com>, randomly hit the keyboard
>and wrote:
>
>>Be grateful you don't work round here then - not far from me is one of
>>those chocolate box villages where they don't "do" house numbers,
>>darling - it's all "The Grange" or "The Old Vicarage"; furthermore
>>streetlighting is just SO common, don't you know, that the place is in
>>pitch darkness after sundown. You want to try finding an address in
>>that place...
>
>Every house in my old patch in Somerset was called, "Beware Of The
>Dog".

According to the illuminated bell-pushes, they're all called
"Friedland".

--
Frank Erskine

Clint Sharp

Nov 13, 2009, 2:48:24 AM11/13/09
In message <pan.2009.11.12....@remove.this.gmail.com>, Jules
<jules.rich...@remove.this.gmail.com> writes

>Heck, may as well extend it into town and use it to receive groceries,
>dispose of rubbish etc. too...
>
>Handling collisions might get interesting.
Ahh, no, should be simple. PSMA/CD (Post Sense Multiple Access/Collision
Detect) with the advantage that the collisions wouldn't usually destroy
the contents of the packets. It's all laid out in 802.3 but would need
some subtle reworking. Might be a new RFC should be ready by, ooh, April
perhaps?

>OK, I think I'm done ;-)
Nope, now we're done ;-)

--