Best way to repair a galvanised watering can?

MM

Mar 16, 2014, 10:52:04 AM3/16/14
It's leaking around the spout where it joins to the can. I don't think
it's possible to solder a galvanised can, or is there some approach I
could take? I don't have access to brazing gear. New cans are quite
expensive and this can is fine, apart from the leak.

John Williamson

Mar 16, 2014, 11:21:33 AM3/16/14
Wire brush back to the steel, and solder it that way? The mian problem,
though, is that if the leak is due to corrosion, getting back to good
steel is likely to leave a large hole, which is going to be "fun" to
patch if all you have is normal soldering gear. You'll probably need to
use a blowtorch to get the metal hot enough to activate the flux and
melt the solder, too.

You don't need anything too drastic on the blowlamp line to braze,
though. I've seen it done it with a standard butane torch before now,
and the flux and rods are obtainable from any welding supplier.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

charles

Mar 16, 2014, 12:33:45 PM3/16/14
In article <vfebi9hlv6p186958...@4ax.com>,
two part epoxy putty?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

harryagain

Mar 16, 2014, 12:34:05 PM3/16/14

"MM" <kyli...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
"Bakers Fluid" is used to solder zinc.

newshound

Mar 16, 2014, 12:36:55 PM3/16/14
It should solder OK as described by John but you may need an active
(acidic) flux rather than normal rosin-based soldering flux. This one
might be OK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-PURITY-ACTIVATED-ROSIN-SOLDER-FLUX-COLOPHONY-KALAFONIA-40g-TIN-/231173925795?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item35d30a2ba3

If the joint has a big hole you could wrap copper wire around it (e.g.
stripped from T&E) to help bridge the gap.

A gas-torch may be useful to achieve the required temperature unless you
have a BIG soldering iron.

Or for a less elegant solution, use "plumbers" epoxy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plumbers-Mait-leak-repair-putty-by-evostik-/121129554438?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item1c33e25206

(not what *I* would have called Plumbers Mait)

Gordon Henderson

Mar 16, 2014, 12:46:12 PM3/16/14
Sugru?

Gordon
Message has been deleted

ARW

Mar 16, 2014, 2:10:15 PM3/16/14
"MM" <kyli...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
ROTFLMAO

You mean that the can is fucked.

--
Adam

Nthkentman

Mar 16, 2014, 2:29:48 PM3/16/14
Tank filler from any good motorists store
or
Buy a new one

ARW

Mar 16, 2014, 2:33:55 PM3/16/14
"Nthkentman" <nthke...@gmail.com> wrote in message
A nice piece of advice but you are forgetting who the OP is.

He is so tight that he would not give you the steam off his piss.

--
Adam

GB

Mar 16, 2014, 3:00:47 PM3/16/14
Roughly what I was thinking, but you expressed it really well. :)

Andrew Mawson

Mar 16, 2014, 3:39:39 PM3/16/14
"GB" wrote in message news:5325f4df$0$1127$5b6a...@news.zen.co.uk...
I regularly solder galvanised sheet with a good result using 'lead free'
plumbers solder and the appropriate flux. However be aware that I am using
new shiny plate. In your case you need to clean the galvanising thoroughly,
either by abrading with a wire wheel, or a mild acid wash.

Andrew

polygonum

Mar 16, 2014, 3:49:36 PM3/16/14

ARW

Mar 16, 2014, 5:12:27 PM3/16/14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHdZj-qkeQ

--
Adam

.

Mar 17, 2014, 3:56:28 AM3/17/14
On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 19:49:36 +0000, polygonum <rmoud...@vrod.co.uk>
wrote:
It's not cheap though!

Brian Gaff

Mar 17, 2014, 4:57:56 AM3/17/14
Is it rusty inside at the join? If so then there is not much you can do, its
just like a car. its g going to carry on rusting whatever you do.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Onetap

Mar 17, 2014, 1:35:40 PM3/17/14
It's knackered, bin it, buy a plastic one.

Onetap

Mar 17, 2014, 3:30:23 PM3/17/14
The zinc galvanizing is a sacrificial anode; it inhibits the corrosion of the steel until all the zinc has gone. Once the zinc has gone, it's knackered and will perforate repeatedly.

It's knackered. Bin it.

polygonum

Mar 17, 2014, 5:45:02 PM3/17/14
Agreed.

I am acquainted with an Apple Magsafe laptop connector that was "mended"
by someone with Sugru. It looked pretty mucky after a bit of use. The
connector failed after a year or two of intermittently working. So the
Sugru was simply an extra expense, and a delaying factor in going for
the right solution.

It is interesting, it might have its place, but I am sceptical,
especially at the price.

--
Rod

Johny B Good

Mar 17, 2014, 6:00:58 PM3/17/14
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:30:23 -0700 (PDT), Onetap <one...@talk21.com>
wrote:
That little 'exchange' just put me in mind of the very first episode
of Red Dwarf for some reason. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good

greymausg

Mar 18, 2014, 2:55:05 PM3/18/14
Exactly. Plastic watering thingies are not expensive, keep one for
particular purposes (watering, weedkiller, herbicide).
My neighbour used weld galvanised steel into trailers. I warned him that
zinc fumes were at best poisonous. Cancer killed him. I would see him
late at night, welding, with fumes rising, like a sorcerer. Unless you
wirebrushed well back to what? 22 steel?..

--
maus
.

Thomas Prufer

Mar 18, 2014, 3:11:48 PM3/18/14
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 21:45:02 +0000, polygonum <rmoud...@vrod.co.uk> wrote:

>It is interesting, it might have its place, but I am sceptical,
>especially at the price.

D-i-y, that is use "oogoo", which is homemade sugru.

It's acetic acid silicone sealant, with cornstarch added to make a paste. Or two
drops of gylcerin. (Apparently the original was first made using wood dust...)

Overview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QtHusSWGgg

Thomas Prufer

theDuck01

Jul 5, 2018, 4:44:16 PM7/5/18
replying to Onetap, theDuck01 wrote:
Almost 6 years ago I inherited an old galvanised watering can; the only
problem was it had developed a leak in its base. A bit of wire brushing
exposed a small hole.
At first I fixed it with Araldite; this worked for a few years, but it
eventually failed.
My second attempt was with SUPER STEEL; this worked for a few more years; but
it eventually failed.
So I decided to research a soldering solution. This is what I found:

*** Use lead/tin 60:40 solder
*** Use "killed spirits" flux
*** Use a tin plate patch

Killed spirit was made by dissolving zinc in concentrated hydrochloric acid.
The internet helped with the details.
The tin plate patch was easily crafted from a tin can.

The watering can base and back of patch was cleaned. Both surfaces were
painted will killed spirit and then tinned with the solder. The patch was held
in place, heated and extra solder added.

The result was a very workable patch (see photos)
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/f9
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fa