smelly washing machine

Stewart

Sep 3, 2008, 4:58:28 PM9/3/08
We have a Bosch Classixx washing amchine about 3 years old. For the past
year there has been an unpleasant smell from the machine even a few hours
after doing a high (90 degree) temperature wash.
The machine is correctly installed and we never had this problem with any
previous machines using the same pipe layout (into the sink waste above the
trap). There is no smell from the adjacent sink nor from the dish washer
that has its waste connecting just above that from the washing machine.
Has anyone else had this problem and do they know how to cure it.?
.Thank you

Alan

Sep 3, 2008, 5:48:55 PM9/3/08
In message <g9mtpe$bsm$1...@aioe.org>, Stewart <h...@invalid.supanet.co.uk>
wrote

Try a 90 degree cycle just using a whole packet of soda crystals
(washing soda) @ approx 90p/pack from Tesco. In my experience this will
get rid of that 'stale detergent' smell in the machine and drain pipes.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Message has been deleted

Stephen Howard

Sep 3, 2008, 7:04:15 PM9/3/08

I have the exact same problem with a Zanussi Jetsystem, and I tried
washing machine cleaners ( Oust ), soda crystals, bleach and even
Dettox. No joy.

Last weekend I even dragged the machine outside, shoved a garden hose
down the waste pipe and gave it a good slooshing out ( I'd have taken
the machine apart, but it looks like the innards were dropped in to a
practically sealed case ).
A friend of mine with the same machine ( and the same problem ) has
recommended using a dose of Nappysan in with the wash - so I might
give that a try.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Frank Erskine

Sep 3, 2008, 6:29:32 PM9/3/08
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:58:28 +0100, "Stewart"
<h...@invalid.supanet.co.uk> wrote:

>We have a Bosch Classixx washing amchine about 3 years old. For the past
>year there has been an unpleasant smell from the machine even a few hours
>after doing a high (90 degree) temperature wash.

Try a 90 degree dummy wash with no solution/powder - perhaps just add
a few bits of material such as old towels to give it a load (and
perhaps soak up some pong!).

Have you tried different solutions/powders? Check, too, that the
dispenser is thoroughly cleaned out - there are awkward corners in
there which tend to trap stuff and go slimy/pongy.

--
Frank Erskine

Appelation Controlee

Sep 3, 2008, 6:38:30 PM9/3/08

Arfa Daily

Sep 3, 2008, 9:20:36 PM9/3/08

"Stephen Howard" <sees...@email.uk> wrote in message

A few months back, our Hotpoint started to produce a foul smell. It was a
sort of 'mustiness', and you got a whiff of it every time you walked past.
We tried all of the usual stuff - high temp washes, additives etc but it
wouldn't go away. I began to think that there must be a leak somewhere that
was making the wooden floor around it, wet somewhere, and that it was then
going mouldy. Then, it suddenly occured to us that around the time it had
started, we had switched detergent to a liquid 'lavendery' sort of stuff. I
seem to recall that it was a Tesco's own-brand. So we switched back to our
previous Persil and lo! away went the smell ...

Arfa

Stephen Howard

Sep 4, 2008, 6:16:32 AM9/4/08

Handy site, thanks for the link.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

DM

Sep 4, 2008, 6:18:37 AM9/4/08
> ..Thank you

We are pretty much in exactly the same position.
Bosch also a Classixx I believe, with a fairly consistent musty smell.

It has a a couple of runs at 90 degrees - no effect

It has had a run with soda crystals - no effect

I think some Bicarbonate of soda has also been used.

The detergent drawer has been removed and given a thorough clean to remove
old detergent or crap build up.

It has been checked for leaks and there is no signs of water around the
machine... it sits on some lino that goes right up the back wall.. and the
smell is definitely in the region of the drum in any case.

.. but we still have the same problem.

It is at the stage where I will be looking to see if I can dismantle the
machine to see if something has escaped from the drum and is stuck inside
the machine.. one of the mysterious single socks perhaps.

As a long shot I might go with Arfa's observation and look to switch
detergent first. We have probably been using a liquid for the last 8-12
months (Persil or Aerial, not sure), but switching for the next time would
seem a harmless and simple option.

cheers

Arfa Daily

Sep 4, 2008, 8:22:55 AM9/4/08

"DM" <d...@nospam.here> wrote in message

Be interested to see if it changes the situation. There is no doubt that it
was also coming from the drum area on ours, because it was always there when
the door had been left open. When the door was closed, you would be hard
pushed to smell anything. Based on the fact that the manufacturers are
always tinkering with detergents now to make them more energy efficient and
green and euro-bollox compliant, you never know what they might have done to
your regular stuff, without you knowing ...

As you say, a change of detergent is an easy thing to try, and it might just
sort it all out, as it most definitely has ours.

Arfa

Stephen Howard

Sep 4, 2008, 9:50:06 AM9/4/08
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 13:22:55 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
<arfa....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"DM" <d...@nospam.here> wrote in message

<snip>

>> As a long shot I might go with Arfa's observation and look to switch
>> detergent first. We have probably been using a liquid for the last 8-12
>> months (Persil or Aerial, not sure), but switching for the next time would
>> seem a harmless and simple option.
>>

>Be interested to see if it changes the situation. There is no doubt that it
>was also coming from the drum area on ours, because it was always there when
>the door had been left open. When the door was closed, you would be hard
>pushed to smell anything. Based on the fact that the manufacturers are
>always tinkering with detergents now to make them more energy efficient and
>green and euro-bollox compliant, you never know what they might have done to
>your regular stuff, without you knowing ...
>
>As you say, a change of detergent is an easy thing to try, and it might just
>sort it all out, as it most definitely has ours.

Don't bother with Sainsbury's own brand powders then - that's what I'm
using.

Stewart

Sep 4, 2008, 9:27:18 AM9/4/08
Well, thanks all, I am glad that I am not alone; I suspect tht my wife
thinks I have done something wrong in plumbing the machine in but as I said
we have had previous machines plumbed in exactly the same way and no
problem.
I shall let her read all of your comments and she can then decide what to
try next.
Thanks again.

"Stephen Howard" <sees...@email.uk> wrote in message

Mark

Sep 4, 2008, 11:26:02 AM9/4/08
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:58:28 +0100, "Stewart"
<h...@invalid.supanet.co.uk> wrote:

We found with ours (after many years) the door gasket was impregnated
with a bad smell. Only changing this part solved the smell.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Tim Downie

Sep 4, 2008, 11:43:22 AM9/4/08
Mark wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:58:28 +0100, "Stewart"
> <h...@invalid.supanet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > We have a Bosch Classixx washing amchine about 3 years old. For
> > the past year there has been an unpleasant smell from the machine
> > even a few hours after doing a high (90 degree) temperature wash.
> > The machine is correctly installed and we never had this problem
> > with any previous machines using the same pipe layout (into the
> > sink waste above the trap). There is no smell from the adjacent
> > sink nor from the dish washer that has its waste connecting just
> > above that from the washing machine. Has anyone else had this
> > problem and do they know how to cure it.? .Thank you
>
> We found with ours (after many years) the door gasket was impregnated
> with a bad smell. Only changing this part solved the smell.

I have running shoes like. Smell permenantly of cat pee and the only cure
is new shoes. If you door seal is getting on a bit it would probably be
worth trying.

Tim

br...@dripak.co.uk

Sep 5, 2008, 4:10:33 AM9/5/08
On Sep 4, 1:22 pm, "Arfa Daily" <arfa.da...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> "DM" <d...@nospam.here> wrote in message

> > Stewart wrote:
> >> We have a Bosch Classixx washing amchine about 3 years old.  For the past
> >> year there has been an unpleasant smell from the machine even a few hours
> >> after doing a high (90 degree) temperature wash.
> >> The machine is correctly installed and we never had this problem with any
> >> previous machines using the same pipe layout (into the sink waste above
> >> the trap).  There is no smell from the adjacent sink nor from the dish
> >> washer that has its waste connecting just above that from the washing
> >> machine.
> >> Has anyone else had this problem and do they know how to cure it.?
> >> ..Thank you
>
> > We are pretty much in exactly the same position.
> > Bosch also a Classixx I believe, with a fairly consistent musty smell.
>
> > It has a a couple of runs at 90 degrees - no effect
>
> > It has had a run withsodacrystals- no effect
>
> > I think some Bicarbonate ofsodahas also been used.

> > The detergent drawer has been removed and given a thorough clean to remove
> > old detergent or crap build up.
>
> > It has been checked for leaks and there is no signs of water around the
> > machine... it sits on some lino that goes right up the back wall.. and the
> > smell is definitely in the region of the drum in any case.
>
> > .. but we still have the same problem.
>
> > It is at the stage where I will be looking to see if I can dismantle the
> > machine to see if something has escaped from the drum and is stuck inside
> > the machine.. one of the mysterious single socks perhaps.
>
> > As a long shot I might go with Arfa's observation and look to switch
> > detergent first.  We have probably been using a liquid for the last 8-12
> > months (Persil or Aerial, not sure), but switching for the next time would
> > seem a harmless and simple option.
>
> > cheers
>
> Be interested to see if it changes the situation. There is no doubt that it
> was also coming from the drum area on ours, because it was always there when
> the door had been left open. When the door was closed, you would be hard
> pushed to smell anything. Based on the fact that the manufacturers are
> always tinkering with detergents now to make them more energy efficient and
> green and euro-bollox compliant, you never know what they might have done to
> your regular stuff, without you knowing ...
>
> As you say, a change of detergent is an easy thing to try, and it might just
> sort it all out, as it most definitely has ours.
>
> Arfa- Hide quoted text -

This is due to bacteria build up from using powder with not enough
oxygen bleach / bleach activator, too low pH and or hard water. The
hot soda crystal wash should work but if water is hard needs to be
followed by Tesco Washing Machine Descaler in a hot wash. Then only
use a reputable powder or boost the performance of the powder with
Oxiclean / Vanish.

DM

Sep 5, 2008, 8:42:41 AM9/5/08
Arfa Daily wrote:
SNIP

> Be interested to see if it changes the situation. There is no doubt that it
> was also coming from the drum area on ours, because it was always there when
> the door had been left open. When the door was closed, you would be hard
> pushed to smell anything. Based on the fact that the manufacturers are
> always tinkering with detergents now to make them more energy efficient and
> green and euro-bollox compliant, you never know what they might have done to
> your regular stuff, without you knowing ...
>
> As you say, a change of detergent is an easy thing to try, and it might just
> sort it all out, as it most definitely has ours.
>
> Arfa

Upon checking with the one who knows about these things it is actually
Asda's own brand that has been used for the past 6-9 months, so this sounds
suspiciously similar to your own experience and hopefully a change of
liquid/powder will make the difference.

cheers

David

Arfa Daily

Sep 5, 2008, 10:34:29 AM9/5/08

"DM" <d...@nospam.here> wrote in message

Do tell if it does ! Ours had 'recovered' within a couple of washes after
changing liquid.

Arfa