Quiet kettle?

cave72...@yahoo.co.uk

Aug 22, 2007, 2:12:21 PM8/22/07
Anybody got any experience of a quiet kettle?
Sick and tired of the noise!
Seems all new kettles have the flat concealed element which (I think)
makes
them very noisy.
Are there any new kettles around with the older elements or any new
silent ones?
Anyone?
Thanks

Mr Sandman

Aug 22, 2007, 2:42:10 PM8/22/07

<cave72...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Its called progress...

Steve

Andrew Gabriel

Aug 22, 2007, 2:55:41 PM8/22/07
In article <1187806341.9...@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

The noise is due to micro boiling at the element surface.
A kettle with a larger element surface area per watt should
be quieter for more of the heating cycle. Also keeping the
element free from scale will help. You could try a microwave
instead, depending how noisy your microwave is.

--
Andrew Gabriel

TMC

Aug 22, 2007, 3:05:50 PM8/22/07

"Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Gas ring and kettle almost silent unless you have a whistling one, certainly
cheaper to buy and probably cheaper to heat the water (though have not made
the calculations)

Tony

Message has been deleted

Derek Geldard

Aug 22, 2007, 3:56:01 PM8/22/07
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:25:06 +0100, <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 22 Aug,

> "TMC" <an...@anon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Gas ring and kettle almost silent unless you have a whistling one,
>> certainly cheaper to buy and probably cheaper to heat the water (though
>> have not made the calculations)
>

>I compared gas and electric kettles a couple of years ago. There was little
>to chose on costs. If on off peak, electricity would be cheaper.
>
>Placing th (electric) kettle on a mouse mat will substantially reduce the
>noise.

Good idea.

We got a Goblin Teasmade as a wedding present but it made a loud clonk
at wake-up time minus 20 minutes, and thereafter made kettling noises
which mounted to a crescendo as it finally did it's thing.

DG

Owain

Aug 22, 2007, 4:18:20 PM8/22/07
cave72...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Are there any new kettles around with the older elements

Tesco Value Kettles?

Owain

Rod

Aug 22, 2007, 4:53:50 PM8/22/07

Not the cheapest:

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/Small+Appliances/Tea+and+Coffee/Kettles/539/230196542/Product.aspx

We have the white slightly lower powered one - we like. Quieter than
many but this high power one might be a bit noisier.

--
Rod

Pete C

Aug 22, 2007, 5:19:27 PM8/22/07

Hi,

If your kettle has a filter you could try some 'boiling chips':

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=9Lx&q=
%22boiling+chips%22&btnG=Search>

cheers,
Pete.

robgraham

Aug 22, 2007, 6:25:19 PM8/22/07
On 22 Aug, 20:05, "TMC" <a...@anon.co.uk> wrote:
> "Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> > In article <1187806341.943490.259...@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

> > cave72man2...@yahoo.co.uk writes:
> >> Anybody got any experience of a quiet kettle?
> >> Sick and tired of the noise!
> >> Seems all new kettles have the flat concealed element which (I think)
> >> makes
> >> them very noisy.
> >> Are there any new kettles around with the older elements or any new
> >> silent ones?
> >> Anyone?
>
> > The noise is due to micro boiling at the element surface.
> > A kettle with a larger element surface area per watt should
> > be quieter for more of the heating cycle. Also keeping the
> > element free from scale will help. You could try a microwave
> > instead, depending how noisy your microwave is.
>
> > --
> > Andrew Gabriel
> > [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]
>
> Gas ring and kettle almost silent unless you have a whistling one, certainly
> cheaper to buy and probably cheaper to heat the water (though have not made
> the calculations)
>
> Tony

When I was an awful lot of years younger - like 40 ? - my mother had
identified an red aluminium kettle that matched her kitchen decor.
Over two successive Christmas' my father boiled the kettle dry when
returning from his Christmas party. I would never have been brave
enough to accuse my father of being pissed, but he did drive home and
then fall asleep with the kettle on the gas. Result - two no longer
red kettles and Dad having to go out and buy replacements - two years
in a row !

By complete chance I happened to find such a kettle in a skip recently
and I had not thought that it might perchance be better economically
than the now also dead seriously noisy electrical one.

Rob

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 23, 2007, 4:47:34 AM8/23/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> On 22 Aug,
> "TMC" <an...@anon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Gas ring and kettle almost silent unless you have a whistling one,
>> certainly cheaper to buy and probably cheaper to heat the water (though
>> have not made the calculations)
>
> I compared gas and electric kettles a couple of years ago. There was little
> to chose on costs. If on off peak, electricity would be cheaper.

How did you calculate the efficiency of a gas hob kettle?

My impression is that abut 8-% of the heat applied to a kettle actually
flows past it to heat the handle, and the room.

Mary Fisher

Aug 23, 2007, 6:38:51 AM8/23/07

"TMC" <an...@anon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Gas ring and kettle almost silent unless you have a whistling one,
> certainly cheaper to buy and probably cheaper to heat the water (though
> have not made the calculations)

Nor have I but we enjoy using Spouse's Grandma's anciant copper kettle on
the gas hob and it doesn't make any noise at all unless water's trapped
under the lid's rim, when it bobs up and down when the water boils - like on
Mrs Watt's kettle.

Mary

ARWadsworth

Aug 23, 2007, 12:32:14 PM8/23/07

"Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <1187806341.9...@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
> cave72...@yahoo.co.uk writes:
>> Anybody got any experience of a quiet kettle?
>> Sick and tired of the noise!
>> Seems all new kettles have the flat concealed element which (I think)
>> makes
>> them very noisy.
>> Are there any new kettles around with the older elements or any new
>> silent ones?
>> Anyone?
>
> The noise is due to micro boiling at the element surface.
> A kettle with a larger element surface area per watt should
> be quieter for more of the heating cycle. Also keeping the
> element free from scale will help. You could try a microwave
> instead, depending how noisy your microwave is.

I have no idea how noisy one of these are, but for 3 seconds for a cuppa it
would not matter if it was noisy.

<http://www.hippyshopper.com/2007/07/review_tefal_quick_cup_low-energy_kettle.html>

the flash page from Tefal about it

http://www.quickcup.co.uk/

Tefal homepage

http://www.tefal.co.uk/tefal/

Adam

rob...@invalid.invalid

Aug 23, 2007, 1:37:46 PM8/23/07

Ah but it is not 3 seconds for a cupful,
it starts producing hot 80-85C water in 3 secs.

I think it takes about 30 secs for a cupful !

Robert

Simon Stroud

Aug 23, 2007, 4:22:24 PM8/23/07

"Owain" <owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> wrote in message

We have recently had our free coffee/tea machines taken away at work after
many years.

So, someone had the bright idea of popping over to Tescos and buying several
of their £4.99 (ish) Value kettles.

They work OK, EXCEPT they have a very annoying safety feature - when they
have just boiled, there is some fiendish bit of mechanical hysteresis built
into the switch that stops it latching on for an annoyingly long time -
several minutes. This is presumably to prevent the whole thing from
overheating drastically - maybe the mains lead would get too hot or
something if used almost continuously. Or maybe it's made of the same kind
of plastic as my old Triton T200RE shower (the Worst Product I Have Ever
Bought) that crumbled away after a few years of heat.

It probably wouldn't be TOO bad for occasional domestic use, but in a busy
office when it is being boiled again and again, it's a very annoying wait.
It also discourages certain selfish people who have just drained it from
refilling it and sticking it on to boil ready for the next person to come
along.

Glad my Tefal kettle at home cost about £30, and is still going strong. It
can be put on to boil again immediately - useful in the kitchen for various
cooking-related tasks.

Good luck!

Simon.

ARWadsworth

Aug 23, 2007, 5:33:07 PM8/23/07

<rob...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

30 seconds. That is time wasted. Anything faster.

Adam

Frank Erskine

Aug 23, 2007, 5:37:52 PM8/23/07

It's only time wasted if you stand/sit there watching it.

--
Frank Erskine

Owain

Aug 23, 2007, 5:46:39 PM8/23/07
Simon Stroud wrote:
>>>Are there any new kettles around with the older elements
>>Tesco Value Kettles?
> We have recently had our free coffee/tea machines taken away at work after
> many years.
> So, someone had the bright idea of popping over to Tescos and buying several
> of their £4.99 (ish) Value kettles.

Don't tell the Elfin Saffty...

> They work OK, EXCEPT they have a very annoying safety feature - when they
> have just boiled, there is some fiendish bit of mechanical hysteresis built
> into the switch that stops it latching on for an annoyingly long time -

> several minutes. ....

> It probably wouldn't be TOO bad for occasional domestic use, but in a busy
> office when it is being boiled again and again, it's a very annoying wait.
> It also discourages certain selfish people who have just drained it from
> refilling it and sticking it on to boil ready for the next person to come
> along.

And it means you can't cook hardboiled eggs in it.

My Tesco kettle doesn't have that problem.

Owain

Andy Dingley

Aug 23, 2007, 5:57:56 PM8/23/07
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:56:01 +0100, Derek Geldard
<d...@miniac.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>We got a Goblin Teasmade as a wedding present but it made a loud clonk
>at wake-up time minus 20 minutes, and thereafter made kettling noises
>which mounted to a crescendo as it finally did it's thing.

That's why I always liked them. A nice gentle way to be woken up
gradually, and there's a brew at the end of it.

rob...@invalid.invalid

Aug 24, 2007, 3:32:26 AM8/24/07

>>> Ah but it is not 3 seconds for a cupful,
>>> it starts producing hot 80-85C water in 3 secs.
>>>
>>> I think it takes about 30 secs for a cupful !
>>>
>>> Robert
>>
>>30 seconds. That is time wasted. Anything faster.
>>
>It's only time wasted if you stand/sit there watching it.

If you do the calculations 3 kilowatts, 250 grams water and 80C temp
rise gives roughly 30secs.

Robert

Lurch

Aug 24, 2007, 7:15:16 AM8/24/07
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:22:24 +0100, "Simon Stroud"
<simon....@btoutternet.com> mused:

>"Owain" <owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> wrote in message
>> cave72...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>>> Are there any new kettles around with the older elements
>>
>> Tesco Value Kettles?
>>
>> Owain
>>

>We have recently had our free coffee/tea machines taken away at work after
>many years.
>
>So, someone had the bright idea of popping over to Tescos and buying several
>of their £4.99 (ish) Value kettles.
>
>They work OK, EXCEPT they have a very annoying safety feature - when they
>have just boiled, there is some fiendish bit of mechanical hysteresis built
>into the switch that stops it latching on for an annoyingly long time -
>several minutes. This is presumably to prevent the whole thing from
>overheating drastically - maybe the mains lead would get too hot or
>something if used almost continuously. Or maybe it's made of the same kind
>of plastic as my old Triton T200RE shower (the Worst Product I Have Ever
>Bought) that crumbled away after a few years of heat.
>
>It probably wouldn't be TOO bad for occasional domestic use, but in a busy
>office when it is being boiled again and again, it's a very annoying wait.
>It also discourages certain selfish people who have just drained it from
>refilling it and sticking it on to boil ready for the next person to come
>along.

Thermostat?
--
Regards,
Stuart.

ARWadsworth

Aug 24, 2007, 2:06:32 PM8/24/07

<rob...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

I'll take your word on that as I cannot be arsed to work it out. If I could
get the rest of the kit (sugar, milk, tea, cup etc) ready in less than 30
seconds I would be surprised. I have got to get one.

Adam

Part timer

Aug 24, 2007, 6:24:40 PM8/24/07
On 23 Aug, 17:32, "ARWadsworth" <adamwadswo...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

> "Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> > In article <1187806341.943490.259...@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

> > cave72man2...@yahoo.co.uk writes:
> >> Anybody got any experience of a quiet kettle?
> >> Sick and tired of the noise!
> >> Seems all new kettles have the flat concealed element which (I think)
> >> makes
> >> them very noisy.
> >> Are there any new kettles around with the older elements or any new
> >> silent ones?
> >> Anyone?
>
> > The noise is due to micro boiling at the element surface.
> > A kettle with a larger element surface area per watt should
> > be quieter for more of the heating cycle. Also keeping the
> > element free from scale will help. You could try a microwave
> > instead, depending how noisy your microwave is.
>
> I have no idea how noisy one of these are, but for 3 seconds for a cuppa it
> would not matter if it was noisy.
>
> <http://www.hippyshopper.com/2007/07/review_tefal_quick_cup_low-energy...>

> the flash page from Tefal about it
>
> http://www.quickcup.co.uk/
>
> Tefal homepage
>
> http://www.tefal.co.uk/tefal/
>
> Adam

A Google Groups link to an idea previously surfaced on this newsgroup
if more than one phase is available and speed is needed: http://tinyurl.com/33ldlp
Don't make one!

Lurch

Aug 25, 2007, 5:35:03 AM8/25/07
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:24:40 -0700, Part timer
<hhmn...@googlemail.com> mused:

Clives great, dangerous, but great!
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Brian Sharrock

Aug 25, 2007, 5:57:20 AM8/25/07

"Lurch" <myrea...@sjwelectrical.co.uk> wrote in message

I've watched the <http://www.quickcup.co.uk/> flash page 'demonstrating '
the quick cup appliance.

In my Humble Opinion; Tefal seem to be advocating the 'time' saved in our
'busy lives' by the three-second cuppa. I'm not sure too many folks -apart
from employers- are concerned about the time saving. However several years
ago my mother-in-law suffered a stroke. While visiting the stroke ward I had
the opportunity of 'chatting' to other patients. I recal one, a frail but
alert lady who could walk, talk, converse etc. but had lost strength in her
right arm.; I recall her admitting to me on the evening before she was
discharged that she had 'no problem' with going back to her flat but was
worried about having a cup of tea. - she believed that a kettle of boiling
water might prove too difficult for her to dispense into a cup. This Tefal
device seems to obviate that problem. The 'kettle' isn't lifted - the liquid
falls down into the cup... much safer for frail people.

Perhaps the true market isn't for people too busy to find minutes to boile a
kettle - but for people to frail / incapictated to handle a kettle of
boiling water. Perhaps we should all buy one , while we're still agile
enough to carry it home ... :)

--

Brian

> --
> Regards,
> Stuart.

Lurch

Aug 25, 2007, 6:00:05 AM8/25/07
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:57:20 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
<b.sha...@ntlworld.com> mused:

Perhaps you should learn how to use a newsreader, or perhaps even get
yourself one as OE isn't really a newsreader.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

ThePunisher

Aug 26, 2007, 10:31:01 AM8/26/07

It's as much a newsreader for text groups as Forte Agent.

--
ThePunisher

Reg

Aug 27, 2007, 2:28:15 PM8/27/07

> <cave72...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Anybody got any experience of a quiet kettle?
>> Sick and tired of the noise!
>> Seems all new kettles have the flat concealed element which (I think)
>> makes
>> them very noisy.
>> Are there any new kettles around with the older elements or any new
>> silent ones?
>> Anyone?
>> Thanks

Breville JK99 'quiet boil' fits the job nicely