DIY Garden Lantern

1 view

Charlie

Jun 8, 2007, 8:04:37 AM6/8/07
Whilst travelling overseas I saw a number outdoor lantern type thingys
outside restaurants/bars which looked quite effective.

They were constructed from
- a 4ft wooden/bamboo stake (in the ground) with a cup holder thing at
the top
- a small beer bottle filled with petrol
- a wick of some sort (perhaps rag) which was lit.

These lanterns burned away quite nice without any problems.

I wanted to make something similar up myself but preferably without
inadvertantly making a petrol bomb.

Can anybody comment on the arrangement and what I should use as a
wick?

Charlie

Frank Erskine

Jun 8, 2007, 9:07:49 AM6/8/07
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:04:37 -0000, Charlie
<charlie...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Whilst travelling overseas I saw a number outdoor lantern type thingys
>outside restaurants/bars which looked quite effective.
>
>They were constructed from
>- a 4ft wooden/bamboo stake (in the ground) with a cup holder thing at
>the top
>- a small beer bottle filled with petrol
>- a wick of some sort (perhaps rag) which was lit.
>
>These lanterns burned away quite nice without any problems.

A sort of Molotov cocktail on a pole? :-)

--
Frank Erskine

meow...@care2.com

Jun 8, 2007, 9:20:49 AM6/8/07

Glass tends to break, and a lit petrol torch would make a dramatic
insurance claim. If you're nuts enough to do it, paraffin would be a
bit less dangerous than petrol.

NT

Charlie

Jun 8, 2007, 9:30:26 AM6/8/07

I actually don't what liquid they used, I just presumed some sort of
fuel. Maybe it was paraffin.

I'm not feel so keen about this idea any more....

Andy Dingley

Jun 8, 2007, 10:28:31 AM6/8/07
On 8 Jun, 13:04, Charlie <charlieopens...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to make something similar up myself but preferably without
> inadvertantly making a petrol bomb.

NEVER try to burn petrol -- its vapour has horrible behaviours.
There's a really high risk of igniting vapour fireballs.

Use lamp oil if you're close enough to smell it, or paraffin if you
don't care too much.

Mary Fisher

Jun 8, 2007, 10:54:48 AM6/8/07

"Charlie" <charlie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Whatever you use it will burn with a very sooty flame. You might not notice
it but I promise it will be.

It's not a lantern anyway but a torch. A lantern has the light enclosed to
protect it against wind and rain.

Mary

Steve Firth

Jun 8, 2007, 10:51:50 AM6/8/07
Andy Dingley <din...@codesmiths.com> wrote:

> On 8 Jun, 13:04, Charlie <charlieopens...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to make something similar up myself but preferably without
> > inadvertantly making a petrol bomb.
>
> NEVER try to burn petrol -- its vapour has horrible behaviours.
> There's a really high risk of igniting vapour fireballs.

Years ago, when I worked in Manchester, the police asked the University
for help in identifying what had happened to a body. The body was burned
to a crisp above the knees but was unmarked from the knees down. After a
bit of investigation it turned out that he was an arsonist who had
decided to burn down a rival's premises.

He had entered the building then splashed petrol all over the place just
like in Hollywood films. When he had the premises soused he had applied
a match intending to start the fire going then leave. What actually
hapened was the vapout ignited where it existed in an ideal fuel-air
mix. However down at knee level there was too much vapour to burn. So he
was flash-fried high up but no fire at all lower down.

As you say, petrol vapour has horrible behaviour.

John Rumm

Jun 8, 2007, 11:07:52 AM6/8/07
Charlie wrote:

> I actually don't what liquid they used, I just presumed some sort of
> fuel. Maybe it was paraffin.

Citronella oil would be a more usual choice for this application.

--
Cheers,

John.

meow...@care2.com

Jun 8, 2007, 11:16:02 AM6/8/07

glad to hear it :)

Multiple candles on a stick might be more practical. Because the
fuel's solid, it can still go wrong, but the resulting conflagration
would be slow moving and usually self contained.

NT

Andy Dingley

Jun 8, 2007, 12:13:18 PM6/8/07
On 8 Jun, 16:07, John Rumm <see.my.signat...@nowhere.null> wrote:

> Citronella oil would be a more usual choice for this application.

Citronella oil burns badly and is impossibly smelly.

The "citronella oil" burned in outdoor torches to discourage bugs is
just a few % citronella in cheap lamp oil. The varying % is one reason
for the cost variation and effectiveness. If you buy the neat stuff
and try burning it though, you'll choke!

John Rumm

Jun 8, 2007, 3:26:22 PM6/8/07

Indeed, I was missing a "lamp" there (as in citronella lamp oil). Not
convinced it makes that much difference to the bugs though - the things
still seem to prefer biting me! Perhaps I should find a "stronger" mix.

Chris

Jun 8, 2007, 7:26:29 PM6/8/07

> It's not a lantern anyway but a torch. A lantern has the light
> enclosed to protect it against wind and rain.
>
> Mary

how about these

http://www.partyrama.co.uk/pcp/Bamboo_Torch.html

Chris