OT: House buying/selling

R D S

Mar 28, 2018, 5:22:22 PM3/28/18
Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.

Secondly, does the whole process need a good looking at? We were at
contract signing stage and the buyer has decided to pull out.

Why do these pillocks get the opportunity to waste three months of your
time?

Andrew Gabriel

Mar 28, 2018, 5:57:36 PM3/28/18
In article <p9h12c$voe$1...@dont-email.me>,
Do you know why?
In particular, is it for some reason the next buyer might also
pull out, such as a mortgage being refused on the property?

--
Andrew Gabriel

R D S

Mar 28, 2018, 6:09:51 PM3/28/18
On 28/03/18 22:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> In article <p9h12c$voe$1...@dont-email.me>,
> R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> writes:
>> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
>> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.
>>
>> Secondly, does the whole process need a good looking at? We were at
>> contract signing stage and the buyer has decided to pull out.
>>
>> Why do these pillocks get the opportunity to waste three months of your
>> time?
>
> Do you know why?
> In particular, is it for some reason the next buyer might also
> pull out, such as a mortgage being refused on the property?

"personal reasons" apparently.

He's been a bit of a dick since day one.

I feel as if a contract needs signing once an offer has been made tying
the buyer to see it through where appropriate.

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Mar 28, 2018, 6:28:12 PM3/28/18
On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 22:22:22 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.

Yes, but I'm in Scotland :-) 5 weeks from viewing to moving, I think.

I am convinced the English(/Welsh) system exists solely to make money for solicitors. After being told that completion would be delayed by a week less than 24 hours before the previously-agreed date, which had already dragged on for months longer than expected or reasonable I was self-medicating on Penguin biscuits.

When buying/selling in England it is important to realise there are two parties to the transaction: (a) the buyer and the seller who jointly want everything to go quickly and smoothly; and (b) the solicitors who will happily exchange letters with each other at £400 an hour requesting information from each other which was supplied months before.

Owain

Steve Walker

Mar 28, 2018, 6:35:43 PM3/28/18
Unfortunately many things can change - their buyer may have pulled out;
a job that they were moving for may have fallen through; their hours or
rate of pay may have been cut; one of them may have been diagnosed with
an illness that is going to cuth their income; a couple may be splitting
up or have found that they are expecting a baby and going to lose one
income.

There are many reasonable reasons and, if they are personal ones, they
may be very reluctant to reveal more.

SteveW

R D S

Mar 28, 2018, 6:40:53 PM3/28/18
Indeed. But he was a cash buyer, apparently wanting to 'move quickly'.

But my biggest arsehole is with the process genwerally and the time it
seems to need to take.

R D S

Mar 28, 2018, 6:41:52 PM3/28/18
On 28/03/18 23:28, spuorg...@gowanhill.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 22:22:22 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
>> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
>> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.
>
> Yes, but I'm in Scotland :-) 5 weeks from viewing to moving, I think.
>
> I am convinced the English(/Welsh) system exists solely to make money for solicitors.

Exactly, and not just property sales.

Dave Plowman (News)

Mar 28, 2018, 6:50:12 PM3/28/18
R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.

Yes - this one in just under a month. I was a first time buyer with funds
in place from a BS, the owner had another place to go to, and my solicitor
was a good pal. Of course that was many years ago before computers slowed
things down. ;-)

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Michael Chare

Mar 28, 2018, 6:51:27 PM3/28/18
Yes 3 months would be quite long. It is important to remember that the
sale takes place when the contract is signed. I would not want to buy a
property without having it properly inspected by an agent I was paying.
I have no desire to see the present system in England and Wales changed.

--
Michael Chare

Bill Taylor

Mar 29, 2018, 2:44:41 AM3/29/18
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 22:22:18 +0100, R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
>Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.
>
>Secondly, does the whole process need a good looking at? We were at
>contract signing stage and the buyer has decided to pull out.

That was done at the beginning of the last century when the Land
Registry was started with the intention of simplifying the process,
which it has done by and large. If you have a willing and able buyer,
a willing sellor and competent conveyancers the transaction can be
done very quickly.

Most delays have nothing to do with the system and everything to do
with the people involved. There may be a chain which noone is prepared
to break, they may have lazy, incompetent conveyancers (the norm in my
experience), if they want surveys and searches tere may be delays in
gettung those

>Why do these pillocks get the opportunity to waste three months of your
>time?

Because they can. When we tried to sell my parents house when they
were in a care home someone wanted to buy it, but there were endless
delays, apparently due to their solicitor being incompetent (couldn't
understand maps showing property boundaries, didn't know how to do the
first registration of a property). It took so long that my mother died
before the sale at which they promptly withdrew.

A couple of months later, and I'd registered the property (it seemed
obvious that all the local solicitors wouldn't have the ability to do
it) the original prospective purchasers had the utter gall to make a
new, lower offer! Needless to say they were told where to go.

Chris J Dixon

Mar 29, 2018, 4:08:25 AM3/29/18
Bill Taylor wrote:

>Most delays have nothing to do with the system and everything to do
>with the people involved.

Indeed!

My last move, which was happily over 30 years ago, was delayed by
my buyer only revealing at the time exchange was due that some of
the money was tied up overseas, and they didn't want to lose out
by liberating it too soon.

Once that was sorted, at the other end of the chain, somebody on
whose behalf a property was being sold died, and they had to wait
for probate.

There was a week or two when if looked very tricky, but all
eventually got sorted.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
ch...@cdixon.me.uk

Plant amazing Acers.

Graeme

Mar 29, 2018, 4:15:36 AM3/29/18
In message <p9h12c$voe$1...@dont-email.me>, R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> writes
>Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
>Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.

Assuming we are talking viewing or initial offer day through to moving
day, then no. Bought my first house, in Bristol, in 1975, and have
bought eight properties in all, the most recent in Scotland. Never
taken less than three months.
--
Graeme

Andy Burns

Mar 29, 2018, 4:19:06 AM3/29/18
R D S wrote:

> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.

I bought this place in 6 weeks, but that was back in 1990

Rednadnerb

Mar 29, 2018, 4:21:34 AM3/29/18
As someone has said 'because they can'. It costs a seller nothing to put their house on the market. The buyer has to appoint a solicitor, get surveys done etc racking up all of the costs only for the seller to change their mind and there is nothing to stop them from putting it back on the market again later.

This was going to be addressed by the Home Inspection Pack scheme which would force the seller to pay for an independent survey when putting their house on the market. Unfortunately it all fell through.

Tim Watts

Mar 29, 2018, 4:50:14 AM3/29/18
I bought a flat off a mate - long time ago, but I think we managed it in
a tad less than that (I had a simple mortgage to arrange, no Estate
agent, solicitors doing the conveyancing and no chain).

Tim Watts

Mar 29, 2018, 4:51:11 AM3/29/18
On 28/03/18 23:35, Steve Walker wrote:
We really need to bring bits of the Scottish system in to stop time
wasters...

Tim Watts

Mar 29, 2018, 4:54:11 AM3/29/18
On 28/03/18 23:40, R D S wrote:

> Indeed. But he was a cash buyer, apparently wanting to 'move quickly'.

Did you see any evidence of that?

I got stressed by someone who said they were, wasn't and actually ended
up completing late and paying me a not insubstantial amount of late
completion interest - as well as being annoying in other ways.

Even my solicitor was intrigued as she couldn't remember the last time
she'd had to issue a Notice to Complete to a purchaser.

Motto of the story - trust noone and get hard evidence for any claims!

Muddymike

Mar 29, 2018, 5:24:44 AM3/29/18
Tell me about it. It happened three times on our last sale.
1. Decided having a rear entry gate was unsafe for the children. Bloody
well lock it then!

2. Decided a rendered exterior would need too much future maintenance.
Then why offer to buy it in the first place!!

3. No comment!

All three held on right to the point of having to pay a deposit before
pulling out.

We have just put our current house on the market, first viewing
tomorrow. Wish me luck...
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53565186.html

Mike

Andrew Gabriel

Mar 29, 2018, 5:31:04 AM3/29/18
In article <md7pbdl3n2blbbrt5...@4ax.com>,
Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes:
> Bill Taylor wrote:
>
>>Most delays have nothing to do with the system and everything to do
>>with the people involved.
>
> Indeed!
>
> My last move, which was happily over 30 years ago, was delayed by
> my buyer only revealing at the time exchange was due that some of
> the money was tied up overseas, and they didn't want to lose out
> by liberating it too soon.
>
> Once that was sorted, at the other end of the chain, somebody on
> whose behalf a property was being sold died, and they had to wait
> for probate.

I remember my solicitor saying I had to be available for a phone
call around 9am on the day of exchange (or was it completion, I
forget now), to make sure I was still alive. She said,
"Don't worry, I've only had one case where my client died
on the day".

It was quite a long chain apparently, but it all completed by
9:30am, which she thought was a record.

I joined the chain late on when another buyer had pulled out, so
it seemed quick to me, but some others had been in the chain for
months.

NY

Mar 29, 2018, 5:46:40 AM3/29/18
"Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I remember my solicitor saying I had to be available for a phone
> call around 9am on the day of exchange

First rule of house-moving - on the day of the move (which is almost always
completion day), as you are packing everything, make sure you leave a
telephone plugged in - or that you have good mobile reception and the estate
agent knows you mobile number.

We were just finishing loading up our cars to set off to the new house when
the new owner rather tentatively knocked at the door and said "are you ready
yet - the estate agent has been trying to phone you for an hour".

Yes, we'd packed up all the landline phones:-( Mobile reception at our
house was very patchy and didn't work too well downstairs. Also, I'm not
convinced that the estate agent knew/used either of our mobile numbers.

mechanic

Mar 29, 2018, 5:52:19 AM3/29/18
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 10:24:42 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

> We have just put our current house on the market, first viewing
> tomorrow. Wish me luck...
> http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53565186.html

Ooooh! Nice!

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Mar 29, 2018, 5:52:57 AM3/29/18
On Thursday, 29 March 2018 10:24:44 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
> We have just put our current house on the market, first viewing
> tomorrow. Wish me luck...
> http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53565186.html

wot no photo of t'air-raid shelter?

Owain

The Nomad

Mar 29, 2018, 6:01:39 AM3/29/18
Very!

Shame I ain't got that sort of cash :-(

Avpx

--
'How come you know all that stuff?' 'I ain't just a pretty face.' 'You
aren't even a pretty face, Gaspode.'

newshound

Mar 29, 2018, 6:57:26 AM3/29/18
On 28/03/2018 22:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> In article <p9h12c$voe$1...@dont-email.me>,
> R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> writes:
>> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
>> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.
>>
>> Secondly, does the whole process need a good looking at? We were at
>> contract signing stage and the buyer has decided to pull out.
>>
>> Why do these pillocks get the opportunity to waste three months of your
>> time?
>
> Do you know why?
> In particular, is it for some reason the next buyer might also
> pull out, such as a mortgage being refused on the property?

I sometimes think it is a pity we don't have the Scottish system where,
as I understand it, making an offer is much more of a binding committment.

Graeme

Mar 29, 2018, 7:28:56 AM3/29/18
In message <KZmdnax3zJpELSHH...@brightview.co.uk>,
Muddymike <ne...@mattishall.org.uk> writes

>We have just put our current house on the market, first viewing
>tomorrow. Wish me luck...

Good luck!

Haven't we seen that house before, in connection with something?
Possibly snow blowing, or similar? Maybe just my imagination.
--
Graeme

Muddymike

Mar 29, 2018, 7:32:08 AM3/29/18
Yes it has featured in the background of a video of my snow blower.

Mike

Robin

Mar 29, 2018, 7:36:58 AM3/29/18
AIUI yes - and no. [ This is law ;) ]

I'm no expert but in Scotland the offer's not binding until conclusion
of missives (the equivalent of exchange of contracts in E&W). So eg an
offer "subject to survey" is still no more binding than a soggy shortbread.

I think a large part of the traditional difference in experience stemmed
from the way property in Scotland was usually marketed through
solicitors rather than estate agents, and the solicitors were regulated
by the Law Society of Scotland. Eg IIRC it was their rules rather than
any difference in law that made gazumping more difficult.

--
Robin

Chris J Dixon

Mar 29, 2018, 7:38:05 AM3/29/18
NY wrote:

>First rule of house-moving - on the day of the move (which is almost always
>completion day), as you are packing everything, make sure you leave a
>telephone plugged in - or that you have good mobile reception and the estate
>agent knows you mobile number.

Our removals van was late on the day, BT had already changed the
number and wouldn't tell me what it was (ex-directory), so nobody
could ring back to explain what was (not) happening (1).
Eventually it arrived, accompanied by a breakdown truck.

We were only about half out when the new owners arrived. Two vans
and crews, the HGV breakdown truck, the incomers, all milling
around - time for a brew.

Our stuff was going out of one door whilst theirs went into the
other. To help speed unloading they sent a second crew, and we
got everything in by teatime, though it was unloaded so fast that
it was difficult to make sure everything ended up in the right
place.

Then we realised that our allocation of sitting room and dining
room really didn't work, and spent the evening shifting the
piano...

(1) This was way before mobiles. After a couple of calls, during
which my incredulity that BT would not tell me the number of the
instrument I had in my hand got me nowhere (2), they eventually
compromised by contacting the new owners, to get them to call us
and tell us the number.

(2) Way before usenet, so I didn't know about the ringback
number.

Chris J Dixon

Mar 29, 2018, 7:45:31 AM3/29/18
Or, more relevantly, the workshop.

You might ask them to check their spelling. "subturranean " ;-)

Looks nice, I hope all goes well for you.

JoeJoe

Mar 29, 2018, 8:26:58 AM3/29/18
Looks really nice.

This sort of money won't buy you a studio flat in London.

dennis@home

Mar 29, 2018, 9:06:30 AM3/29/18
On 28/03/2018 22:22, R D S wrote:
> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.

two and half months, but that included building it.

dennis@home

Mar 29, 2018, 9:11:08 AM3/29/18
On 29/03/2018 12:38, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> Our removals van was late on the day, BT had already changed the
> number and wouldn't tell me what it was (ex-directory), so nobody
> could ring back to explain what was (not) happening (1).

You ring someone and look on the caller display.
You prefix with 1470 if the line has hide caller ID enabled.

Muddymike

Mar 29, 2018, 9:40:38 AM3/29/18
Hen house was it:-)?

Mike

NY

Mar 29, 2018, 9:44:22 AM3/29/18
"Chris J Dixon" <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote in message
> Our removals van was late on the day

We didn't have that, but we did have a removal van arrive that turned out to
be too small for out furniture (I'd dictated an inventory of furniture over
the phone when booking the van) so it had to make two journeys on a 100 mile
round trip.

We were moving into smaller rented accommodation because we'd sold our house
and not yet found anywhere to move to. We'd rented self-storage near the new
house.

We didn't find out that the van was too small until the men had filled it
and said "right, we're ready to leave" but half the furniture was still to
be loaded. So I had to drive to the self-storage unit, wait for the van to
turn up (it was limited to 50 mph on motorways), and let them unload. They
managed to fit everything in the storage unit - but only just: they doubted
they'd be able to fit in our large fish tank that was part of the second
load.

So I had to hastily load up the car with as many boxes of books as possible
from the storage unit, which I dumped at the cottage; after two runs I'd
made enough space for everything.

I then went back to the old house where the removal men were loading
everything, and we went back with them to finish off at the storage unit and
unload the rest into the house. By this stage it was late in the evening and
the removal men were getting tired and careless: they were rushing to finish
and didn't stop to think how to fit objects around a tight staircase and
under a ceiling that was only a bit taller than our bookcases.

We noticed that some of the bookcases were scratched - either in transit or
as they were unloading - so I made sure that was written on theri job sheet.

The guys finally left at about 11:30 PM.

When we had more time a few days later, we unloaded most of the furniture
from the storage unit and repacked it a *lot* more efficiently. As we were
doing so, we found loads more damage, including a bookcase that had been
loaded so a to strain the legs of a table (fortunately not causing any
lasting damage).

They really were a bunch of cowboys and I would never use the firm again.
It's only the laws of libel that prevent me naming and shaming the firm
here.

whisky-dave

Mar 29, 2018, 10:15:11 AM3/29/18
a bit slow, as you can build a 3D printed house in a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh0OiuxtDyI

Chris J Dixon

Mar 29, 2018, 11:08:47 AM3/29/18
Old dial phone, how would that work exactly?

Nowadays, yes, but did you see my note that this was before
mobiles and usenet? It was 1983 to be precise. No CLI, no
display.

Terry Casey

Mar 29, 2018, 11:56:12 AM3/29/18
In article
<iNOdnZMc_ekucCHH...@brightview.co.uk>,
m...@privacy.net says...

> They really were a bunch of cowboys and I would never use
> the firm again.
>
> It's only the laws of libel that prevent me naming and
> shaming the firm here.

But it wouldn't do any harm to mention the area you were
moving from - assuming they were local.

--

Terry

---
http://www.avg.com

Reentrant

Mar 29, 2018, 1:15:04 PM3/29/18
On 29/03/2018 16:08, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> dennis@home wrote:
>
>> On 29/03/2018 12:38, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>
>>> Our removals van was late on the day, BT had already changed the
>>> number and wouldn't tell me what it was (ex-directory), so nobody
>>> could ring back to explain what was (not) happening (1).
>>
>> You ring someone and look on the caller display.
>> You prefix with 1470 if the line has hide caller ID enabled.
>
> Old dial phone, how would that work exactly?
>
> Nowadays, yes, but did you see my note that this was before
> mobiles and usenet? It was 1983 to be precise. No CLI, no
> display.
>
> Chris

Dial the BT engineer's test number 17070. An automated voice reads out
your number ("This circuit is defined as nnnnnnn").

Pretty sure that would have worked even in 1983.

--
Reentrant

DJC

Mar 29, 2018, 4:14:20 PM3/29/18
On 29/03/18 12:36, Robin wrote:

>> I sometimes think it is a pity we don't have the Scottish system
>> where, as I understand it, making an offer is much more of a binding
>> committment.
>
> AIUI yes - and no.  [ This is law ;)  ]
>
> I'm no expert but in Scotland the offer's not binding until conclusion
> of missives (the equivalent of exchange of contracts in E&W).  So eg an
> offer "subject to survey" is still no more binding than a soggy shortbread.
>
> I think a large part of the traditional difference in experience stemmed
> from the way property in Scotland was usually marketed through
> solicitors rather than estate agents, and the solicitors were regulated
> by the Law Society of Scotland.  Eg IIRC it was their rules rather than
> any difference in law that made gazumping more difficult.

Yes,
> https://www.lawscot.org.uk/members/rules-and-guidance/rules-and-guidance/section-f/division-c/guidance/gazumping-gazundering-and-closing-dates/

> http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06980

That and also the market in Scotland isn't so manic, so less incentive
to make offers because prices are rising etc.

I had a whole series of abortive conveyances before I finally sold my
flat. Mainly due to prices rising so fast people made offers first and
thought about it after.

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

DJC

Mar 29, 2018, 4:14:20 PM3/29/18
On 28/03/18 23:41, R D S wrote:
> On 28/03/18 23:28, spuorg...@gowanhill.com wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 22:22:22 UTC+1, R D S  wrote:
>>> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
>>> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.
>>
>> Yes, but I'm in Scotland :-) 5 weeks from viewing to moving, I think.
>>
>> I am convinced the English(/Welsh) system exists solely to make money
>> for solicitors.

Also, if a mortgage is involved the solicitor will also be acting for
the mortgage provider, you may be paying the bill but the solicitor want
to keep that lucrative position on the mortgage company's approve
conveyancer list.

> Exactly, and not just property sales.

Andrew Gabriel

Mar 29, 2018, 4:25:53 PM3/29/18
In article <fZ-dne1U7shgKCHH...@brightview.co.uk>,
The other variation on this I've seen go wrong is they are calling
you but getting no answer, because BT already transferred your number
to the new house.

Andrew Gabriel

Mar 29, 2018, 4:32:19 PM3/29/18
In article <290320181625129625%timst...@greenbee.net>,
Tim Streater <timst...@greenbee.net> writes:
> In the US of A you sign the contract at the *beginning* of the process,
> not the end. And it typically includes penalty clauses for
> non-performance.

Had many colleagues move in California. ISTR the contracts were
all that you have to vacate in exactly 30 days of having the
offer accepted. It's quite common to move into a furnished
apartment for a short time with your stuff in storage, because
chains are never synchonised (and as such, don't exist).

Roger Hayter

Mar 29, 2018, 4:47:39 PM3/29/18
Andrew Gabriel <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <290320181625129625%timst...@greenbee.net>,
> Tim Streater <timst...@greenbee.net> writes:
> > In the US of A you sign the contract at the *beginning* of the process,
> > not the end. And it typically includes penalty clauses for
> > non-performance.
>
> Had many colleagues move in California. ISTR the contracts were
> all that you have to vacate in exactly 30 days of having the
> offer accepted. It's quite common to move into a furnished
> apartment for a short time with your stuff in storage, because
> chains are never synchonised (and as such, don't exist).

And doing away with chains is an absolutely necessary (though not,
sadly, sufficient) condition for speeding up sales in England.

--

Roger Hayter

Chris J Dixon

Mar 30, 2018, 3:20:32 AM3/30/18
Reentrant wrote:

>On 29/03/2018 16:08, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> dennis@home wrote:

>>> You ring someone and look on the caller display.
>>> You prefix with 1470 if the line has hide caller ID enabled.
>>
>> Old dial phone, how would that work exactly?
>>
>> Nowadays, yes, but did you see my note that this was before
>> mobiles and usenet? It was 1983 to be precise. No CLI, no
>> display.

>Dial the BT engineer's test number 17070. An automated voice reads out
>your number ("This circuit is defined as nnnnnnn").
>
>Pretty sure that would have worked even in 1983.

Indeed it might. You have probably missed one of my original
comments

"(2) Way before usenet, so I didn't know about the ringback
number."

Reentrant

Mar 30, 2018, 4:42:15 AM3/30/18
"Usenet ... was established in 1980" (Wikipedia)

--
Reentrant

Adam Aglionby

Mar 30, 2018, 10:43:25 AM3/30/18
Hahaha and if the other party fails to pony up the cash on the day, whatcha going to do about it?

Reality is , after 6 entry dates from buyer, one called off with 48 hours to go, absolutely nothing can do about it.

Speculators wander about making long entry date offers and then seek investors to make the buy, if they don`t get the money they just dinnae complete and nothing happens, Scottish system is little differnt in practice.

tony sayer

Mar 30, 2018, 3:27:12 PM3/30/18

>We have just put our current house on the market, first viewing
>tomorrow. Wish me luck...
>http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53565186.html
>
>Mike

Nice gaff that:)...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

Mar 30, 2018, 3:37:12 PM3/30/18
In article <p9idi1$icn$2...@dont-email.me>, The Nomad
<no...@the.desert.invalid> scribeth thus
>On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 10:52:18 +0100, mechanic <mech...@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 10:24:42 +0100, Muddymike wrote:
>>
>>> We have just put our current house on the market, first viewing
>>> tomorrow. Wish me luck...
>>> http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53565186.html
>>
>> Ooooh! Nice!
>
>Very!
>
>Shame I ain't got that sort of cash :-(
>
>Avpx

That'd cost well over a mill here in Cambridge and you wouldn't get the
nice countryside around either..

--
Tony Sayer

DJC

Mar 30, 2018, 4:45:21 PM3/30/18
Agreed, the problem being that with so much tied up in the price of a
house and the tendency for prices to rise there is some risk in selling
first and hoping the right property turns up before the price rises out
of reach.

Jim K

Mar 30, 2018, 5:20:43 PM3/30/18
tony sayer <to...@bancom.co.uk> Wrote in message:
+1
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

R D S

Mar 31, 2018, 2:58:54 PM3/31/18
On 28/03/18 23:35, Steve Walker wrote:
> Unfortunately many things can change

Agreed. And I sympathise. But I don't get why it's entirely the seller's
problem.

The house has been off the market for 3 months. It went back on
yesterday and there's a viewing tomorrow.

You can't buy anything else without leaving a deposit, hell, not even a
pair of glasses.

Muddymike

Apr 1, 2018, 5:32:54 AM4/1/18
On 30/03/2018 22:20, Jim K wrote:
> tony sayer <to...@bancom.co.uk> Wrote in message:
>>>
>>> We have just put our current house on the market, first viewing
>>> tomorrow. Wish me luck...
>>> http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53565186.html
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Nice gaff that:)...
>
> +1

Thank you both, care to buy it?

Mike

Andrew

Apr 1, 2018, 7:43:56 AM4/1/18
On 28/03/2018 23:09, R D S wrote:
> On 28/03/18 22:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>> In article <p9h12c$voe$1...@dont-email.me>,
>>     R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> writes:
>>> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
>>> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.
>>>
>>> Secondly, does the whole process need a good looking at? We were at
>>> contract signing stage and the buyer has decided to pull out.
>>>
>>> Why do these pillocks get the opportunity to waste three months of your
>>> time?
>>
>> Do you know why?
>> In particular, is it for some reason the next buyer might also
>> pull out, such as a mortgage being refused on the property?
>>

> "personal reasons" apparently.
>
> He's been a bit of a dick since day one.
>
> I feel as if a contract needs signing once an offer has been made tying
> the buyer to see it through where appropriate.

Like job offers, some people make offers on multiple properties
just to 'reserve their place'.

I'll put money on him proceeding to buy one of the others.

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Apr 1, 2018, 8:06:42 AM4/1/18
On Sunday, 1 April 2018 10:32:54 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
> Thank you both, care to buy it?

Would you take £45k if I can find someone to buy my current place?

(I paid more than £45k for it but several years' DIY has taken its toll...)

Owain

tony sayer

Apr 1, 2018, 9:48:59 AM4/1/18
In article <n_KdnXB0VaPZOl3H...@brightview.co.uk>,
Muddymike <ne...@mattishall.org.uk> scribeth thus
Quite happy here at the moment but if things ever change;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Mark Allread

Apr 2, 2018, 5:45:46 AM4/2/18
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 22:22:18 +0100, R D S wrote:

> Firstly, has anyone managed to sell/buy a house in under 3 months?
> Because in all my years i've never witnessed anyone manage it.

Yes. Get all the paperwork sorted before you market it it and once the
offer is made and accepted then get your solicitor to be pro-active
rather than reactive and also get an early exchange of contract with a
longer time to completion.

> Secondly, does the whole process need a good looking at? We were at
> contract signing stage and the buyer has decided to pull out.

See above, early exchange and a delayed completion - gives you the
opportunity to vary dates to suit both parties if desired and also the
purchaser would be penalised if they pull out.

For those who mention the Scottish system - its not what it purports to
be and the deal is not struck until the exchange of missives - similar to
exchange of contracts.

I've just gone through the buying and selling phase in Scotland with
missives exchanged last week and the completion being the day after. The
property was put on the market last October and an offer made and
accepted within a week. We were happy to wait till this time and so were
the rest of the chain. Problem was a useless solicitor acting for a
first time buyer who two weeks before everything was due to happen
suddenly decided to look at the paperwork again and told the buyer they
needed a damp survey (they didn't).

A 'friendly' word in the purchasers ears that suggested they get a move
on or they'd loose the property or get it for a higher price meant that
thigs went back to where they should have been and all ended well.