Electrical Sockets

Mark

Aug 6, 2005, 7:40:52 AM8/6/05
Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all the 1st
fix electrics myself.

What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the kitchen to
chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?

The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!

So any help would be appreciated.

Dave Plowman (News)

Aug 6, 2005, 8:32:06 AM8/6/05
In article <42f4a172$0$3503$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,

If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andrew Gabriel

Aug 6, 2005, 9:24:05 AM8/6/05
In article <42f4a172$0$3503$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,

You need to decide what height above the worktop you want them.
A typical figure an electrician would use in the absence of any
other info is 105cm from the floor surface to the bottom of the
back box. Don't forget to add on the thickness of any flooring
which isn't yet fitted though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Stuart Noble

Aug 6, 2005, 11:36:54 AM8/6/05
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <42f4a172$0$3503$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
> Mark <ma...@mafry64.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all the
>>1st fix electrics myself.
>

>>What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the
>>kitchen to chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?
>

>>The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
>>heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!
>

> If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
> run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.

I like 6" to the bottom of the box so the first tile sits nicely under
the socket, then 18" above that to the wall units. Can leave you with a
couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row though.

Dave Plowman (News)

Aug 6, 2005, 12:22:34 PM8/6/05
In article <qO4Je.256$Y04...@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>,

Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
> > run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.

> I like 6" to the bottom of the box so the first tile sits nicely under
> the socket, then 18" above that to the wall units.

That would also be fine, but of course depends on the size of the tiles.

> Can leave you with a couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row
> though.

No problem with an electric tile cutter. ;-)

--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

chris French

Aug 6, 2005, 3:54:44 PM8/6/05
In message <4d96426...@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> writes

>In article <qO4Je.256$Y04...@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>,
> Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> > If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
>> > run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.
>
>> I like 6" to the bottom of the box so the first tile sits nicely under
>> the socket, then 18" above that to the wall units.
>
>That would also be fine, but of course depends on the size of the tiles.

Personally I prefer them higher than that, so they are up out of the way
of worktop clutter. but as long as the person using them is happy I
don't think it matters
--
Chris French

Stuart Noble

Aug 6, 2005, 4:09:49 PM8/6/05
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <qO4Je.256$Y04...@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>,
> Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>>If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile
>>>run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.
>

>>I like 6" to the bottom of the box so the first tile sits nicely under
>>the socket, then 18" above that to the wall units.
>

> That would also be fine, but of course depends on the size of the tiles.
>

>>Can leave you with a couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row
>>though.
>

> No problem with an electric tile cutter. ;-)

I might just agree with you there, but I'll still do the other 99% of
the cuts without :-)

Dave Plowman (News)

Aug 6, 2005, 4:44:06 PM8/6/05
In article <hO8Je.17242$Aw4....@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,

I prefer a perfect edge on all my cut tiles regardless of the time
taken. ;-)

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Bob Martin

Aug 7, 2005, 4:10:34 AM8/7/05

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?

dave stanton

Aug 7, 2005, 4:49:53 AM8/7/05

> Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?

Part P police are on the way as we speak......

Dave

Frank Erskine

Aug 7, 2005, 7:13:07 AM8/7/05
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:10:34 GMT, Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com>
wrote:

>Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?

No.
--
Frank Erskine

Stuart Noble

Aug 7, 2005, 10:05:23 AM8/7/05
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <hO8Je.17242$Aw4....@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
> Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>>Can leave you with a couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row

>>>No problem with an electric tile cutter. ;-)
>

>>I might just agree with you there, but I'll still do the other 99% of
>>the cuts without :-)
>

> I prefer a perfect edge on all my cut tiles regardless of the time
> taken. ;-)

therin lies madness :-)

raden

Aug 7, 2005, 12:03:51 PM8/7/05
In message <_ljJe.1062$Y04...@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, Bob Martin
<bob.m...@excite.com> writes

Who cares ?

--
geoff

Dave Plowman (News)

Aug 7, 2005, 1:58:59 PM8/7/05
In article <DyoJe.13563$9K3....@newsfe7-win.ntli.net>,

Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >>I might just agree with you there, but I'll still do the other 99% of
> >>the cuts without :-)

> > I prefer a perfect edge on all my cut tiles regardless of the time
> > taken. ;-)

> therin lies madness :-)

Heh heh. I actually like to take my time when tiling, as with much else
DIY. Madness, probably. But then I don't feel inclined to need to do a
makeover every couple of years. ;-) Never one to follow fashion.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

ARWadsworth

Aug 7, 2005, 5:18:32 PM8/7/05

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

>> > I prefer a perfect edge on all my cut tiles regardless of the time
>> > taken. ;-)
>
>> therin lies madness :-)
>
> Heh heh. I actually like to take my time when tiling, as with much else
> DIY. Madness, probably. But then I don't feel inclined to need to do a
> makeover every couple of years. ;-)

>Never one to follow fashion.

That should not be a problem. If you do nothing drastic or rash to the house
decorations (especially an older property) then every so often you will be
back in fashion.

I do believe that wall papering ceilings is now coming back into fashion. I
wonder if people will paper straight over the holes they made last year in
an attempt to have fashionable spot lighting in their lounge.

Adam

Chip

Aug 7, 2005, 5:23:51 PM8/7/05
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:18:32 GMT,it is alleged that "ARWadsworth"
<adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Shouldn't have had to make holes last year, the ones from the 70s
would have been good enough <g>

--
There are three things which I consider excellent advice. First, don't
smoke to excess. Second, don't drink to excess.

Paul

Aug 9, 2005, 10:48:44 AM8/9/05
1st fix is the cutting and chasing isn't it. Whats electrical about hole
s and channels?

Paul

Ed Sirett

Aug 9, 2005, 1:41:26 PM8/9/05

Where they go.

Part P Avoider

Aug 24, 2005, 3:45:51 AM8/24/05

Bob Martin Wrote:
> in 434951 20050806 124052 "Mark" ma...@mafry64.plus.com wrote:-

> Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all
> the 1st
> fix electrics myself.
>
> What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the
> kitchen to
> chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?
>
> The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different
> heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!
>
> So any help would be appreciated.-

> Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?

Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how the
hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch you
(hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame the
previous owners of your house!

--
Part P Avoider

Bob Martin

Aug 24, 2005, 8:43:58 AM8/24/05

That won't work, I've been here 40 years!

Set Square

Aug 24, 2005, 12:43:43 PM8/24/05
Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com> wrote:

>>> Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent
>>> legislation?
>>
>> Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how
>> the hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch you
>> (hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame the
>> previous owners of your house!
>
> That won't work, I've been here 40 years!

The important question is whether they can prove that you did it *after* the
introduction of Part P. Prior to that, it was perfectly legal to DIY without
having it inspected.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Bob Martin

Aug 25, 2005, 3:26:20 AM8/25/05
in 440860 20050824 174343 "Set Square" <d...@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how
>>> the hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch you
>>> (hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame the
>>> previous owners of your house!
>>
>> That won't work, I've been here 40 years!
>
>The important question is whether they can prove that you did it *after* the
>introduction of Part P. Prior to that, it was perfectly legal to DIY without
>having it inspected.

Knowing my luck the parts I used probably have some hidden date code.

Set Square

Aug 25, 2005, 5:02:57 AM8/25/05

Ah well, I've got a fairly good stock of old parts and 'old colour' cable!

Part P Avoider

Aug 25, 2005, 3:46:13 AM8/25/05

--
Part P Avoider