Loose fill insulation

Christian McArdle

Jun 12, 2006, 12:35:53 PM6/12/06
Has anyone used loose fill insulation before? I have a difficult area to
insulate and am wondering if it will do the job.

Here is a diagram and description of the problem space. It is marked as 'X'.
It is bounded above by laths (but no plaster). It is bounded below by
plaster formed onto curves. It is bounded on one edge by wooden fascia and
by the roof with breathable membrane sarking and slates.

\\
boards->_____\\
joist-># # \\ <- roof (breathable membrane + slate)
---#---#---\\
^ \X \\
lath \ |\\
plaster-> \| <- wood fascia

Basically, will I be able to snap off a couple of laths and be able to pour
some sort of insulation into the hole to fill the gaps? Snapping off the
laths looks like a difficult job and I would only want to do a couple per
bay.

Obviously, no ventilation will be provided beyond the breathable membrane.
The roof above the lath level will use Kingspan between and under.

Christian.

d...@gglz.com

Jun 12, 2006, 12:53:18 PM6/12/06
Have you considered hiring the gear to blow in Warmcell insulation
(fireproofed recycled newspaper)?

Sogg

Jun 12, 2006, 2:16:59 PM6/12/06

<d...@gglz.com> wrote in message

> Have you considered hiring the gear to blow in Warmcell insulation
> (fireproofed recycled newspaper)?

We have recycled newspaper insulation. It may or may not be Warmcell, it's
25 years old'ish so perhaps not, though I can't think it can be very
different. Anyway it is vile horrible grotty stuff, it's powdery, dusty,
blows around the loft and where holes in the ceiling have been made, for
example for conduit for Ethernet cables it comes down and clogs the every
thing up. I hate it, I wish it was loose fill rockwool or even fibreglass
which I hate as well because it itches so much.

d...@gglz.com

Jun 12, 2006, 2:26:28 PM6/12/06
Yes, I've seen warmcell used as insulation between open joists in roof
spaces - not very suitable. But for modern strucutral insulated panel
construction with a seperate cable void where it's closed up long term,
it can simply be blown in and sealed up. Might also be suitable for the
OP's problem - but I do agree with you, it's not fun if it's not
properly enclosed.

Mary Fisher

Jun 12, 2006, 5:05:59 PM6/12/06

"Christian McArdle" <cmcar...@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk> wrote in message

We've used vermiculite - surprisingly cheap - to good effect in very odd
places.

Mary

> Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Jun 12, 2006, 9:27:19 PM6/12/06
Might be a little bit expensive, but whet about expanding foam?

Christian McArdle

Jun 13, 2006, 4:25:46 AM6/13/06
> Might be a little bit expensive, but whet about expanding foam?

I have visions of the slates pinging off, shortly followed by an exploding
canoe! ;-)

Christian.

d...@gglz.com

Jun 13, 2006, 4:30:50 AM6/13/06
Loose vermiculite sounds an interesting solution. I can't think of
another granular insulation that's so fireproof (so anything polstyrene
based is out).

Christian McArdle

Jun 13, 2006, 4:44:04 AM6/13/06
> Loose vermiculite sounds an interesting solution. I can't think of
> another granular insulation that's so fireproof (so anything polstyrene
> based is out).

Certainly, a quick look at it looks promising. It looks very loose fill,
which will be what I need for this application.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Jun 13, 2006, 4:41:44 AM6/13/06
the slats will allow it to expand upwards..

Mary Fisher

Jun 13, 2006, 6:12:56 AM6/13/06

>> Might be a little bit expensive, but whet about expanding foam?
>
> I have visions of the slates pinging off, shortly followed by an exploding
> canoe! ;-)

I can't forget that story either!

Mary

> Christian.

Mary Fisher

Jun 13, 2006, 6:13:38 AM6/13/06

"Christian McArdle" <cmcar...@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk> wrote in message

If you're anywhere near Leeds we have more than half a bag left, it's yours
for the taking.

Mary

> Christian.

Christian McArdle

Jun 13, 2006, 6:18:20 AM6/13/06
> If you're anywhere near Leeds we have more than half a bag left, it's
yours
> for the taking.

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near, but thanks for the offer!

Christian.

Mary Fisher

Jun 13, 2006, 7:40:48 AM6/13/06

"Christian McArdle" <cmcar...@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk> wrote in message

Spouse keeps telling me I should use it in my compost but I always forget. I
would like to lose it somehow! He bought it to use to fill the gap between
bricks and stone in the bread oven. Not necessary but he's a belt, braces
and buttons man.

The bread oven will have its first firing this weekend, I hope.

Mary

Christian McArdle

Jun 13, 2006, 9:21:54 AM6/13/06
> Spouse keeps telling me I should use it in my compost but I always forget.
> would like to lose it somehow! He bought it to use to fill the gap between
> bricks and stone in the bread oven. Not necessary but he's a belt, braces
> and buttons man.

Is it the same stuff you can put into flower beds to retain water and become
more water efficient?

Christian.

Mary Fisher

Jun 13, 2006, 10:21:01 AM6/13/06

"Christian McArdle" <cmcar...@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk> wrote in message

Supposed to be. But I suspect that's an expensive way to buy it. Go to a
builder's merchant.

Mary

> Christian.

Christian McArdle

Jun 13, 2006, 10:28:09 AM6/13/06
>> Is it the same stuff you can put into flower beds to retain water
>> and become more water efficient?
>
> Supposed to be. But I suspect that's an expensive way to buy it. Go to a
> builder's merchant.

Of course, I was just suggesting a use for your spare bag.

Christian.

Mary Fisher

Jun 13, 2006, 10:31:20 AM6/13/06

"Christian McArdle" <cmcar...@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk> wrote in message

Ah - I don't have flower beds :-)

But I do make compost for my vegetable plots. You're doing a Spouse!

Mary

> Christian.

meow...@care2.com

Jun 14, 2006, 12:03:37 PM6/14/06

the trouble with the expanding stuff is that it sets solid and then
continues to expand, with force, so escape orifi dont prevent damage.

NT

robgraham

Jun 14, 2006, 1:53:42 PM6/14/06

I read that story recently with all the laughter that I expect you all
got from it - having been there successfully when a relative nipper and
building your own fibreglass canoe was pretty new. I seem to remember
the instructions included putting the bow/stern in a bucket of cold
water when pouring the stuff in.

Additional blocks of polystyrene were recommended for the first serious
trip I made in that boat and I fitted them the day after a job-leaving
drinking session - I think by then everything moveable had left my body
but my head did not like the concept of being upsidedown poking around
in dark places one little bit !

Rob

Mary Fisher

Jun 14, 2006, 3:00:53 PM6/14/06

"robgraham" <robkg...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>> > I have visions of the slates pinging off, shortly followed by an
>> > exploding
>> > canoe! ;-)
>>
>> I can't forget that story either!
>

> I read that story recently with all the laughter that I expect you all
> got from it - having been there successfully when a relative nipper and
> building your own fibreglass canoe was pretty new. I seem to remember
> the instructions included putting the bow/stern in a bucket of cold
> water when pouring the stuff in.
>
> Additional blocks of polystyrene were recommended for the first serious
> trip I made in that boat and I fitted them the day after a job-leaving
> drinking session - I think by then everything moveable had left my body
> but my head did not like the concept of being upsidedown poking around
> in dark places one little bit !

It was the bit about the new birthday pullover which caused the final
wetting of knickers ...