led lights car

Jim.GM4DHJ ...

Sep 27, 2021, 2:04:47 PMSep 27
is it not against the law for a running light to be switched off when an
indicator is on....never seemed to be a problem with old fashioned bulbs
? ...

nightjar

Sep 27, 2021, 2:35:07 PMSep 27
Given that it seems to be common on modern cars, I suspect not.

--
Colin Bignell

Steve Walker

Sep 27, 2021, 5:13:34 PMSep 27
It doesn't matter what the law says - while we were in the EU and now
outside, but accepting their standards on vehicles, anything that is
type-approved by any EU country, has to be accepted as is.

Sysadmin

Sep 28, 2021, 3:04:30 AMSep 28
What is a running light ?

nightjar

Sep 28, 2021, 3:10:38 AMSep 28
A light that comes on when the vehicle is running.

--
Colin Bignell

NY

Sep 28, 2021, 4:30:58 AMSep 28
"Jim.GM4DHJ ..." <kinvig...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> is it not against the law for a running light to be switched off when an
> indicator is on....never seemed to be a problem with old fashioned bulbs ?

The reason that a side/tail/DRL light has to be turned off is due to the
poor design of light clusters which places the indicators very close to
other lights. I'm surprised our Construction and Use legislation didn't pick
up on this and mandate a separation between indicators and headlights/brake
lights/DRLs so the indicators can actually be *seen* in all situations.

But the *usability* of light clusters seems to take a back seat compared
with the *aesthetics* of "does the arrangements of lights look nice".

VWs used to put the indicator in the centre of a ring of brake light (or
maybe it's vice versa) which meant it was hard to discern the indicator when
the car was braking. And almost every car nowadays puts the front indicators
in the same housing as the headlights which means the indicator can't be
seen easily at night in an oncoming car.

I think the dimming of a DRL next to the indicator works well: it is often
the turning off of the DRL that I see before the flashing of the indicator.

And another thing... I wish it was mandated that all cars must have *two*
reversing lights (one at each side) and *two* foglights (one at each side)
rather than the common trend of a reversing light only on the left and a
foglight only on the right, which makes it very difficult to see the
road/hedge/wall behind you on one side when reversing at night, and prevents
cars behind being able to judge the width of your vehicle as they approach
it in fog. I tend to turn my fog light on when I'm reversing into a confined
space at night, so the walls/hedges on *both* sides of the car are lit up
(albeit with different coloured lights).

Jim.GM4DHJ ...

Sep 28, 2021, 4:43:22 AMSep 28
I think LED bulbs are the problem .....

NY

Sep 28, 2021, 4:52:14 AMSep 28
> On 28/09/2021 09:31, NY wrote:
>> "Jim.GM4DHJ ..." <kinvig...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> is it not against the law for a running light to be switched off when an
>>> indicator is on....never seemed to be a problem with old fashioned bulbs
>>> ? ...
>>
>> The reason that a side/tail/DRL light has to be turned off is due to the
>> poor design of light clusters which places the indicators very close to
>> other lights. I'm surprised our Construction and Use legislation didn't
>> pick up on this and mandate a separation between indicators and
>> headlights/brake lights/DRLs so the indicators can actually be *seen* in
>> all situations.

> I think LED bulbs are the problem .....

I don't think so. I'm sure it has existed from before cars had LED lights.
Many cars have tungsten or HID headlights, and tungsten rear lights. Mine
even had tungsten rather than LED DRLs - a feature that I only discovered as
I was looking through a menu on the car a few yeas ago. I'd thought it was
too old (2008) to have DRLs.

The problem started when some bozo decided that it was actually a *good*
thing to place the indicators very close to other lights which are bright,
rather than putting them a long way away (eg within or underneath the front
bumper, and with the rear reflector placed between the brake/tail and
indicator lights to keep them apart).

Jim.GM4DHJ ...

Sep 28, 2021, 5:01:44 AMSep 28
nah you can tell when a bulb is led probably caused by flicker in the
canbus ....LEDs should have no place in the car enviroment .....

Rod Speed

Sep 28, 2021, 5:04:04 AMSep 28
Sysadmin <j...@home.net> wrote
> Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote

>> is it not against the law for a running light to be switched off when an
>> indicator is on....never seemed to be a problem with old fashioned bulbs
>> ? ...

> What is a running light ?

Faster than a walking light.

But with jimbo its much slower because its face down in the mud, blotto, as
always.

charles

Sep 28, 2021, 5:16:15 AMSep 28
This was probably done to make the wiring easier

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Jim.GM4DHJ ...

Sep 28, 2021, 5:22:26 AMSep 28
so I am tee hee

charles

Sep 28, 2021, 5:24:56 AMSep 28
In article <siullj$jt0$1...@dont-email.me>, Jim.GM4DHJ ...
considering they were designed for the Apollo spacecraft, they should be
fine at lower g forces

Peeler

Sep 28, 2021, 5:26:00 AMSep 28
On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:03:54 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

<FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest trollshit unread>

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real