Flat cat5/6 cable

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Joe

unread,
Aug 19, 2007, 4:13:45 AM8/19/07
to
hi all,

Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
find uk seller?

cheers

Joe.

Alan

unread,
Aug 19, 2007, 4:50:39 AM8/19/07
to
In message <1187511225.4...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Joe
<joero...@googlemail.com> wrote

Assembled cat5 flat cables

www.cpc.co.uk

10m approx £14
15m approx £17

Search for 'cat5 flat' on the opening page


--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Icky Thwacket

unread,
Aug 19, 2007, 4:59:22 AM8/19/07
to

"Joe" <joero...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:1187511225.4...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com...


If you get stuck you could always make your own using torn down flat'n'twist
cable:-

http://tinyurl.com/3xngko

This has the same nominal Zo (100R) as cat5 and is certainly within the cat5
spec. of 22dB loss over 100m.


Andy Burns

unread,
Aug 19, 2007, 5:04:50 AM8/19/07
to
On 19/08/2007 09:50, Alan wrote:
> In message <1187511225.4...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Joe
> <joero...@googlemail.com> wrote
>> hi all,
>>
>> Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
>> them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
>> in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
>> find uk seller?
>>
>
> Assembled cat5 flat cables
> www.cpc.co.uk
> Search for 'cat5 flat' on the opening page

which are actually these
http://www.videkonline.co.uk/home.asp?page=SubSections&sectionID=28&chapterID=3

They do say they are "CAT5e UTP" but they look suspiciously like a 8
core version of the 6 parallel core cable used by DECconnect, not much
room or evidence of twists from the photo. Over £1/m pretty expensive too.

Andy Burns

unread,
Aug 19, 2007, 5:10:44 AM8/19/07
to
On 19/08/2007 09:59, Icky Thwacket wrote:

> If you get stuck you could always make your own using torn down flat'n'twist
> cable:-
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3xngko
>
> This has the same nominal Zo (100R) as cat5 and is certainly within the cat5
> spec. of 22dB loss over 100m.

The "flat" sections would allow some interference or cross-talk and the
pairs should really all have different twist rates, not the same, but
for reasonably short lengths should get away with it, gigabit might
complain more than 10/100Mb (assuming the OP wants this for ethernet).

Alan

unread,
Aug 19, 2007, 5:05:43 AM8/19/07
to
In message <ZFPV9DBf...@amac.f2s.com>, Alan
<junk_...@amac.f2s.com> wrote

They also do longer lengths
http://cpc.farnell.com/images/en_CC/Comp1_June%20l.pdf
page 59.

Joe

unread,
Aug 19, 2007, 5:23:28 AM8/19/07
to
On 19 Aug, 09:50, Alan <junk_re...@amac.f2s.com> wrote:
> In message <1187511225.478827.292...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Joe
> <joeroon...@googlemail.com> wrote

>
> >hi all,
>
> >Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
> >them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
> >in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
> >find uk seller?
>
> Assembled cat5 flat cables
>
> www.cpc.co.uk
>
> 10m approx £14
> 15m approx £17
>
> Search for 'cat5 flat' on the opening page
>
> --
> Alan
> news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Many thanks Alan,

Joe.

meow...@care2.com

unread,
Aug 19, 2007, 7:32:26 AM8/19/07
to

I trust you'll be running this where people dont generally walk, eg
around the edges. Otherwise thin copper cores may fail after a while.


NT

chrisj...@proemail.co.uk

unread,
Aug 19, 2007, 8:29:51 AM8/19/07
to
On 19 Aug, 11:04, Andy Burns <usenet.july2...@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:
> On 19/08/2007 09:50, Alan wrote:
>
> > In message <1187511225.478827.292...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Joe
> > <joeroon...@googlemail.com> wrote

> >> hi all,
>
> >> Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
> >> them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
> >> in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
> >> find uk seller?
>
> > Assembled cat5 flat cables
> >www.cpc.co.uk
> > Search for 'cat5 flat' on the opening page
>
> which are actually thesehttp://www.videkonline.co.uk/home.asp?page=SubSections&sectionID=28&c...

>
> They do say they are "CAT5e UTP" but they look suspiciously like a 8
> core version of the 6 parallel core cable used by DECconnect, not much
> room or evidence of twists from the photo. Over £1/m pretty expensive too.

I have a load of 8-core "DECconnect"-like RJ45-terminated cables I'd
be happy to find a good home for at about £1/m less. However, it's
definitely not twisted. The venerable 1994 catalogue proudly says
"tested for data rates up to 20MHz", which may not be enough. Also,
it's not particularly thin and if your resident princesses have been
practising on peas, you'll need to cut out the underlay, in which case
you might as well use the round stuff.

Chris

The Natural Philosopher

unread,
Aug 20, 2007, 11:07:46 AM8/20/07
to
Its very hard to get the correct characteristcs with flat cables. It CAN
be done, but you pay.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages