What nails for hardboard ?

Mike P

Dec 4, 2007, 1:24:30 PM12/4/07
I am going to nail hardboard down onto floorboards in preparation for
vinyl flooring.
What sort of nails .... flat head or hidden ?

Mike P

Skipweasel

Dec 4, 2007, 1:35:17 PM12/4/07
In article <kl6bl39t4ur52hu0j...@4ax.com>, mike@askme
says...

> What sort of nails .... flat head or hidden ?

Hidden - otherwise the heads will eventually show through the vinyl.
Better yet stick it down with double-sided [1] carpet tape.

[1] Blue Peter strikes again!

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

sm_jamieson

Dec 4, 2007, 1:43:52 PM12/4/07

Hidden, and screw into the mesh side (they will sink in). Or you can
use small screws if you want. The nails should be rink shank, so they
don't pull out. Also, put something soft (e.g. an old sheet or
newspaper) between the floorboards and the hardboard or you will get
squeaks. If you lay it damp, it will tighten up and you will avoid
wrinkles.
Simon.

newshound

Dec 4, 2007, 5:03:17 PM12/4/07

"sm_jamieson" <sm_ja...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I'd recommend a small electric nail gun. Much quicker than doing by hand

Frank Erskine

Dec 4, 2007, 5:34:38 PM12/4/07

... but less environmentally friendly... :-)

--
Frank Erskine

fred

Dec 4, 2007, 5:59:55 PM12/4/07
In article <5rm155F...@mid.individual.net>, newshound
<news...@fairadsl.co.uk> writes
That's what I used last time but as the HB is soft some have pulled
thro' and there is some noise when treading on the affected area, think
I'll use staples next time.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla