Fix leaking plastic kettle window

AnthonyL

May 13, 2022, 8:43:55 AM5/13/22
Our kettle is leaking. It has plastic windows on two sides and one
side always faces the window. It seems to have "frosted" and is
leaking from the seam with the kettle body.

It's only a slight seeping but annoying nonetheless.

What can I use to seal it that is non-toxic? Or if I seal it from the
outside would it matter?

I'm reluctant to push the plastic out and re-fix it for fear of
causing more damage.

The other window is nice and clear and the kettle is othewise working
well.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Animal

May 13, 2022, 8:47:56 AM5/13/22
On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 13:43:55 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:

> Our kettle is leaking. It has plastic windows on two sides and one
> side always faces the window. It seems to have "frosted" and is
> leaking from the seam with the kettle body.
>
> It's only a slight seeping but annoying nonetheless.
>
> What can I use to seal it that is non-toxic? Or if I seal it from the
> outside would it matter?

silicone, you can get different grades of it. Sealing from the outside usually doesn't work.
There is another way to seal kettles: do nothing. In time scale fixes it.

> I'm reluctant to push the plastic out and re-fix it for fear of
> causing more damage.

that probably is the solution though.

The Natural Philosopher

May 13, 2022, 9:12:54 AM5/13/22
On 13/05/2022 13:43, AnthonyL wrote:
> Our kettle is leaking. It has plastic windows on two sides and one
> side always faces the window. It seems to have "frosted" and is
> leaking from the seam with the kettle body.
>
> It's only a slight seeping but annoying nonetheless.
>
> What can I use to seal it that is non-toxic? Or if I seal it from the
> outside would it matter?
>
> I'm reluctant to push the plastic out and re-fix it for fear of
> causing more damage.
>
> The other window is nice and clear and the kettle is othewise working
> well.

superglue.

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

GB

May 13, 2022, 12:34:44 PM5/13/22
On 13/05/2022 13:43, AnthonyL wrote:
> Our kettle is leaking. It has plastic windows on two sides and one
> side always faces the window. It seems to have "frosted" and is
> leaking from the seam with the kettle body.
>
> It's only a slight seeping but annoying nonetheless.
>
> What can I use to seal it that is non-toxic? Or if I seal it from the
> outside would it matter?
>
> I'm reluctant to push the plastic out and re-fix it for fear of
> causing more damage.
>
> The other window is nice and clear and the kettle is othewise working
> well.

I've sealed something like that with silicone from the outside. It
doesn't look great, but doing it on the outside means there's
practically no risk (I hope!) of something nasty leaching into the
kettle water.