how to clean a very dusty wicker basket?

hanra...@yahoo.co.uk

Feb 7, 2011, 3:56:25 PM2/7/11
What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has accumulated
several years of dust? If I dunk it in warm water with some washing
powder in, will it disintegrate? It's in good condition; it's just
very dusty.

Thanks!

Michael

Owain

Feb 7, 2011, 4:25:14 PM2/7/11

It shoulnd't disintegrate, but spraying it with a shower might be
better than just dunking it.

Or use an air compressor.

Owain

S Viemeister

Feb 7, 2011, 4:28:12 PM2/7/11
I use the dusting attachment on my Dyson; then swish in warm water with
washing-up liquid. Rinse with the spray attachment at the sink - or use
a garden hose. Leave in a warm airy place until completely dry - you
don't want mold or mildew.

JTM

Feb 7, 2011, 5:06:34 PM2/7/11
In article
<24503e8f-67c4-49a9...@b8g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,

<hanra...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has
> accumulated several years of dust? If I dunk it in warm
> water with some washing powder in, will it disintegrate?
Well, they're made by soaking the wicker, or even steaming
it to make it flexible

> It's in good condition; it's just very dusty.
I'd be tempted to give it a squirt with a hose

> Thanks!

> Michael
John

--
John Mulrooney

Love is for sharing.

Message has been deleted

Mr Pounder

Feb 7, 2011, 5:29:10 PM2/7/11

<hanra...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

A fiver in any cheap shop.

geoff

Feb 7, 2011, 5:25:02 PM2/7/11
In message
<24503e8f-67c4-49a9...@b8g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
hanra...@yahoo.co.uk writes
How about sand ?

--
geoff

Andy Dingley

Feb 7, 2011, 7:39:50 PM2/7/11
On Feb 7, 10:29 pm, "Mr Pounder" <MrPoun...@RationalThought.com>
wrote:

> A fiver in any cheap shop.

Wicker, not rattan.

I can't find a wicker basket for under £30

Andy Dingley

Feb 7, 2011, 7:40:50 PM2/7/11
On Feb 7, 8:56 pm, hanrahan...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has accumulated
> several years of dust?

Get in the shower with it. Nailbrush if anything is really murky.

Dry it off well afterwards, but don't heat it.

Ian Jackson

Feb 8, 2011, 4:30:42 AM2/8/11
In message <51a203f56...@free.fr>, JTM <usen...@free.fr> writes

>In article
><24503e8f-67c4-49a9...@b8g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
> <hanra...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has
>> accumulated several years of dust? If I dunk it in warm
>> water with some washing powder in, will it disintegrate?
>Well, they're made by soaking the wicker, or even steaming
>it to make it flexible
>> It's in good condition; it's just very dusty.
>I'd be tempted to give it a squirt with a hose

So would I. I'd first get as much dust off as possible by simultaneously
brushing and sucking with a vacuum cleaner pipe (using a paint brush for
the nooks and crannies), and then give it a brisk hosing. It probably
won't harm it at all.
--
Ian

Lino expert

Feb 8, 2011, 7:54:50 AM2/8/11
On Feb 7, 8:56 pm, hanrahan...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Angle grinder.

Andy Champ

Feb 8, 2011, 2:51:34 PM2/8/11
On 08/02/2011 12:54, Lino expert wrote:

> Angle grinder.

That's just so last year. This cries out for a pressure washer!

Andy
--
Of course a pressure washer might be a little keen, so try on a
non-visible area first...