Cable storage, hanger sort of things, what are they called?

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Jun 4, 2007, 10:41:04 AM6/4/07
I'm after some of those cable storage devices which are sort of slots
with floppy edges into which you can push cables for storage. You
mount them on a wall or whatever and the cables hang down, they
usually look a bot messy but keep the cables fairly untangled for when
you want to use them.

They're generally for storing cables with plugs on the end, mains
cables, audio cables, etc.

Does anyone know what they're called or where one might buy them?

--
Chris Green

Lurch

Jun 4, 2007, 1:24:44 PM6/4/07
On 04 Jun 2007 14:41:04 GMT, tin...@isbd.co.uk mused:

>I'm after some of those cable storage devices which are sort of slots
>with floppy edges into which you can push cables for storage. You
>mount them on a wall or whatever and the cables hang down, they
>usually look a bot messy but keep the cables fairly untangled for when
>you want to use them.

Slots in what with floppy edges where?

>They're generally for storing cables with plugs on the end, mains
>cables, audio cables, etc.
>
>Does anyone know what they're called or where one might buy them?

I'm struggling to visualise a floppy slot for inserting things in
here.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Rob Hamadi

Jun 4, 2007, 1:39:47 PM6/4/07

Closest I can think of is cable management systems, used in comms
racks to keep all the CAT5 tidy. Stuff like this:
http://www.cmwltd.co.uk/catalogue.asp?cat=E11
or this:
http://www.cmwltd.co.uk/catalogue.asp?cat=E9

But I suspect that these operate at right angles to what you're
looking for.
--
Rob

Andy Hall

Jun 4, 2007, 2:28:43 PM6/4/07

Do you not get out much?

Steven Briggs

Jun 4, 2007, 3:43:26 PM6/4/07
In message <46642480$0$642$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,
tin...@isbd.co.uk writes
I've seen slotted cable trunking used as poor-mans cable hanger, similar
type to Critchley Betaduct, minus the lid.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=218121
--
steve

Lurch

Jun 4, 2007, 4:07:53 PM6/4/07
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:28:43 +0100, Andy Hall <an...@hall.nospam>
mused:

Unfortunately not, unless it's to wire something up. :(
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Bob Eager

Jun 4, 2007, 4:47:04 PM6/4/07

Nearest thing I can find is at http://www.cpc.co.uk

search for item AV07087

http://www.diybanter.com

Cicero

Jun 4, 2007, 4:50:14 PM6/4/07

==================================
It's easy to make one. Take a piece of 3" x 1" timber about 3' long. Drill
a row of holes (5/8" diameter approx) about 1" in from one edge. Cut a
slot from the edge into each hole wide enough to accept your cable sizes.
Hang the whole thing on a wall. Forget the floppy restraints - the cables
will stay in place under their own weight.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

raden

Jun 4, 2007, 5:08:46 PM6/4/07

Owain

Jun 4, 2007, 5:15:01 PM6/4/07

Canford audio
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/resources/catdetails/2654.pdf

Item 11-201

Not floppy edges though.

Owain

ARWadsworth

Jun 4, 2007, 5:27:39 PM6/4/07

"raden" <ra...@kateda.org> wrote in message

Pink paper would be more realistic.

Adam

Lurch

Jun 4, 2007, 5:33:50 PM6/4/07
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:08:46 GMT, raden <ra...@kateda.org> mused:

Erm, yeah.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Lobster

Jun 4, 2007, 6:22:48 PM6/4/07

Now, who was it asking whether someone didn't get out much...?

David

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Jun 6, 2007, 3:59:38 AM6/6/07

Yes, and they're "cable management" rather than "cable storage"
systems. I'm looking for the sort of thing I remember having at work
(electronics development) back in the 1960s and 1970s. They were
fixed to the wall and one hung 'scope leads, interconnecting cables,
mains leads, etc. on them.

--
Chris Green

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Jun 6, 2007, 4:01:32 AM6/6/07

That's the idea, certainly something like this would be a possibility.

--
Chris Green

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Jun 6, 2007, 4:04:06 AM6/6/07
Bob Eager <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 14:41:04 UTC, tin...@isbd.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I'm after some of those cable storage devices which are sort of slots
> > with floppy edges into which you can push cables for storage. You
> > mount them on a wall or whatever and the cables hang down, they
> > usually look a bot messy but keep the cables fairly untangled for when
> > you want to use them.
> >
> > They're generally for storing cables with plugs on the end, mains
> > cables, audio cables, etc.
> >
> > Does anyone know what they're called or where one might buy them?
>
> Nearest thing I can find is at http://www.cpc.co.uk
>
> search for item AV07087

Yes, that's the sort of thing I'm after, expensive for a bit of metal
though isn't it!

--
Chris Green

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Jun 6, 2007, 4:05:53 AM6/6/07
Cicero <shel...@hellfire.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:41:04 +0000, tinnews wrote:
>
> > I'm after some of those cable storage devices which are sort of slots with
> > floppy edges into which you can push cables for storage. You mount them
> > on a wall or whatever and the cables hang down, they usually look a bot
> > messy but keep the cables fairly untangled for when you want to use them.
> >
> > They're generally for storing cables with plugs on the end, mains cables,
> > audio cables, etc.
> >
> > Does anyone know what they're called or where one might buy them?
>
> ==================================
> It's easy to make one. Take a piece of 3" x 1" timber about 3' long. Drill
> a row of holes (5/8" diameter approx) about 1" in from one edge. Cut a
> slot from the edge into each hole wide enough to accept your cable sizes.
> Hang the whole thing on a wall. Forget the floppy restraints - the cables
> will stay in place under their own weight.

Very true, I may well do this, especially as I have a router which
makes cutting the slots even easier.

--
Chris Green

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Jun 6, 2007, 4:08:17 AM6/6/07
That almost smacks of "gold plated mains cables"! :-) However it
does give a picture to work to for making one's own.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

--
Chris Green

Bob Eager

Jun 6, 2007, 4:33:20 AM6/6/07
On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:04:06 UTC, tin...@isbd.co.uk wrote:

> > Nearest thing I can find is at http://www.cpc.co.uk
> >
> > search for item AV07087
> >
> Yes, that's the sort of thing I'm after, expensive for a bit of metal
> though isn't it!

Well, now you know what they look like....this is a DIY group!

Dave Plowman (News)

Jun 6, 2007, 4:52:23 AM6/6/07
In article <4666696a$0$644$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,

<tin...@isbd.co.uk> wrote:
> Yes, and they're "cable management" rather than "cable storage"
> systems. I'm looking for the sort of thing I remember having at work
> (electronics development) back in the 1960s and 1970s. They were
> fixed to the wall and one hung 'scope leads, interconnecting cables,
> mains leads, etc. on them.

Everywhere I've worked in use a version of coat hooks for this. There is
(was) a popular system that used a sort of grid that allowed special ones
to be clipped in where needed. Think it may have been Dexion.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Tim Southerwood

Jun 6, 2007, 5:03:52 AM6/6/07
tin...@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I know that RS sell something like that (little plastic prongs on a metal
bar) but I could not locate them on their website.

Tim

Owain

Jun 6, 2007, 6:23:16 AM6/6/07
tin...@isbd.co.uk wrote:
>>>I'm after some of those cable storage devices which are sort of slots
>>>with floppy edges
>>Canford audio
>>http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/resources/catdetails/2654.pdf
>>Item 11-201
>>Not floppy edges though.
> That almost smacks of "gold plated mains cables"! :-)

But if Canford did gold plated mains cables they would be genuine BBC
approved gold plated mains cables.

You should see how much they charge for a "doorknob" cable hanger...

Owain

Andy Hall

Jun 6, 2007, 4:41:02 PM6/6/07

I do like the 3U wine rack for 480mm racks.

Owain

Jun 6, 2007, 5:32:50 PM6/6/07
Andy Hall wrote:
[Canford Audio]

> I do like the 3U wine rack for 480mm racks.

I'm surprised they don't make a rack-mounting coffee machine. Preferably
a modified Miele.[1]

Owain

[1] Miele CVA4085 Coffee Machine, £1715
http://www.diyappliancewarehouse.com/ProductInformation.aspx?ID=6596

Steve Firth

Jun 6, 2007, 6:04:12 PM6/6/07
Owain <owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> wrote:

> I'm surprised they don't make a rack-mounting coffee machine. Preferably
> a modified Miele.[1]
>
> Owain
>
> [1] Miele CVA4085 Coffee Machine, £1715

They are utter shite, nasty construction, stupid design - small waste
water container, can't grind beans, only has a manual coffee container,
wastes hidden deep inside the case, nowhere to warm cups, no strength
control and they can't make a decent ristretto. They are only sold to
people who want a Miele label and who don't know what coffee should
taste like. They will spend £1750 on a machine then fill it with Douwe
Egberts pre-ground pencil shavings.

If you want decent coffee the starting point is a Saeco 30320 Royal
Professional. If you want decent coffee beans the starting point is
Illy.

Not only is the Saeco head and shoulders above the Miele in terms of the
coffee it makes, it's also half the price.

http://www.xpresscoffeeuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=71

Andy Hall

Jun 7, 2007, 12:23:44 AM6/7/07

Seen it.

I think that the Gaggia ones are better.