Weeping isolator valve

11 views
Skip to first unread message

R D S

unread,
May 25, 2022, 9:46:16 AMMay 25
to
I've 2 valves under my stairs so I can isolate the downstairs rads, i've
had cause to turn one a few times recently and now the bastard is
dripping. I presume the only remedy is to replace it or is there some
leak fix I could put in? (would you want to?)
I'm not sure there's enough give in the pipework to change it easily.

I've had this problem elsewhere, is there something to look out for when
buying these things to ensure I don't replace it with something equally
shite?

Andy Burns

unread,
May 25, 2022, 9:57:22 AMMay 25
to
R D S wrote:

> I've 2 valves under my stairs so I can isolate the downstairs rads, i've had
> cause to turn one a few times recently and now the bastard is dripping.

One "remedy" is to wrap a rag round it, forget about it for a couple of months,
then come back and notice that it's crusted-up and stopped leaking :-)


Harry Bloomfield Esq

unread,
May 25, 2022, 10:12:14 AMMay 25
to
R D S explained :
> I've 2 valves under my stairs so I can isolate the downstairs rads, i've had
> cause to turn one a few times recently and now the bastard is dripping. I
> presume the only remedy is to replace it or is there some leak fix I could
> put in? (would you want to?)
> I'm not sure there's enough give in the pipework to change it easily.

If it's leaking around the spindle - undo the cap around the spindle,
push some preferably waxed string in there, so the cap compresses it,
to form a tighter seal.

Andrew

unread,
May 25, 2022, 10:15:33 AMMay 25
to
Is the sealant gland secured with a nut that can be tightened.
You may have unwittingly loosened it when you exercised the
valve.

Andrew

unread,
May 25, 2022, 10:16:08 AMMay 25
to
dental floss ?

R D S

unread,
May 25, 2022, 10:25:30 AMMay 25
to
You mean on the bit you turn to close it?
There doesn't seem to be such a thing.

R D S

unread,
May 25, 2022, 10:40:19 AMMay 25
to
On 25/05/2022 14:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Yeah, patience has been a fix in the past but i've operated it today and
I reckon i'll not get away with that this time.

Davidm

unread,
May 25, 2022, 11:23:58 AMMay 25
to
Is it one of these things
https://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-15mm-2-pack/65251
shite is the word. Often have them leaking if not been operated for
many months (or years).
Screwfix do a Pegler made version of this valve
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-isolating-valve-15mm/18796#BVRRWidgetID
which has a better reputation/reviews (and is a lot more expensive)
but I don't have any first hand experience of them.

Some plumbers I talked to say they always use lever operated valves,
and the gas approved version, even for water. Much less likely to
leak. I've fitted some 22mm gas approved lever valves to all the pipes
around the HW cylinder. Got fed up with all the gate vavles seizing
up.

Tim+

unread,
May 25, 2022, 11:26:30 AMMay 25
to
R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Nope. Below that.
https://www.yourrepair.co.uk/blog/how-to-fix-a-leaking-stopcock

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Harry Bloomfield Esq

unread,
May 25, 2022, 1:58:02 PMMay 25
to
After serious thinking Andrew wrote :
> dental floss ?

It would need a lot of that.

R D S

unread,
May 25, 2022, 2:15:17 PMMay 25
to
On 25/05/2022 16:23, Davidm wrote:

> Is it one of these things
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-15mm-2-pack/65251

Yes.

> shite is the word. Often have them leaking if not been operated for
> many months (or years).

Yes, yhey shouldn't be offered for sale IMO.

> Screwfix do a Pegler made version of this valve
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-isolating-valve-15mm/18796#BVRRWidgetID
> which has a better reputation/reviews (and is a lot more expensive)
> but I don't have any first hand experience of them.
>
> Some plumbers I talked to say they always use lever operated valves,
> and the gas approved version, even for water. Much less likely to
> leak. I've fitted some 22mm gas approved lever valves to all the pipes
> around the HW cylinder. Got fed up with all the gate vavles seizing
> up.

I changed the valve on our boiler filling loop recently, for the
umpteenth time and used one of these
https://www.diy.com/departments/compression-gate-valve-dia-15mm/34112_BQ.prd

Though i've just read the reviews....FFS :) :)

I'll get Pegler in future, cheers.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages