Re: OT: Any value in old drives

SH

Sep 27, 2022, 3:12:52 PM9/27/22
On 27/09/2022 19:52, Tim Streater wrote:
> Few years ago I replaced four or five external hard drives here with SSDs.
> These have sat around but now I've stirred my stumps to erase them prior to
> disposal. They'll get random data written everywhere and then zeroes. They are
> 7200rpm, various sizes of 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB.
>
> Question is, is there any value left in them? With SSDs of similar size going
> for £100 or less, is it worth the faff of trying to sell them?

I might be interested in the drives, can you share the makes and models
on here?

(I am building a NAS based on OMV and need to fill the NAS box up with
up to 16 drives)

Also if you could indicate their ages, and whether there are any bad
sectors or reallocated sectors.

As a guide, I recentl;y bought some 4TB drives for my CCTV DVR and they
were £45 each INCLUDING P&P on Ebay so if we were minded to do a deal,
I'd be looking at 1TB drives at £11.25 each, 2TB drives at £22.50 and
3TB drives at £33.75 each.

HTH,

Stephen.

Animal

Sep 27, 2022, 5:04:47 PM9/27/22
1T are worth a tenner. Why not give them to someone that could use them

SH

Sep 27, 2022, 6:23:29 PM9/27/22
On 27/09/2022 21:55, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2022 at 20:12:38 BST, SH <i.lov...@spam.com> wrote:
>
>> On 27/09/2022 19:52, Tim Streater wrote:
>>> Few years ago I replaced four or five external hard drives here with SSDs.
>>> These have sat around but now I've stirred my stumps to erase them prior to
>>> disposal. They'll get random data written everywhere and then zeroes. They are
>>> 7200rpm, various sizes of 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB.
>>>
>>> Question is, is there any value left in them? With SSDs of similar size going
>>> for £100 or less, is it worth the faff of trying to sell them?
>>>

>> I might be interested in the drives, can you share the makes and models
>> on here?
>
> These seem actually to be Toshiba drives. They're in OWC cases to match the
> Mac Mini in size. All have external power supplies. The 3TB I'm erasing at the
> minute is a Toshiba DT01ACA300, no reallocated sectors.
>
>> (I am building a NAS based on OMV and need to fill the NAS box up with
>> up to 16 drives)
>>
>> Also if you could indicate their ages, and whether there are any bad
>> sectors or reallocated sectors.
>
> Purchases 2025-2017 time frame. I've got DriveDx so I can check them for
> bad/reallocated sectors once the erase process is complete.
>
>> As a guide, I recently bought some 4TB drives for my CCTV DVR and they
>> were £45 each INCLUDING P&P on Ebay so if we were minded to do a deal,
>> I'd be looking at 1TB drives at £11.25 each, 2TB drives at £22.50 and
>> 3TB drives at £33.75 each.
>
> Could be interesting. You want to email me with what part of the country
> you're in so I can see what to do about delivery? Then I can email you with
> the drive stats.

I am in Northampton. Your drives sound like external drives.... Do
these work via USB2 or thunderbolt?

My requirement is for internal drives so I would be taking the drive out
of the external caddy and putting it inside a Full Tower PC case which
has room for up to 16 hard disc drives.

Also are the internal drive interfaces SATA, SATA2 or SATA3? I can find
this out given the full drive model names.

S.

Rob Morley

Sep 27, 2022, 8:32:08 PM9/27/22
On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 23:23:21 +0100
SH <i.lov...@spam.com> wrote:

> Your drives sound like external drives...

Was it this
"I replaced four or five external hard drives"
that gave the game away?

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 27, 2022, 8:50:53 PM9/27/22
On 27/09/2022 19:52, Tim Streater wrote:
> Few years ago I replaced four or five external hard drives here with SSDs.
> These have sat around but now I've stirred my stumps to erase them prior to
> disposal. They'll get random data written everywhere and then zeroes. They are
> 7200rpm, various sizes of 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB.
>
> Question is, is there any value left in them? With SSDs of similar size going
> for £100 or less, is it worth the faff of trying to sell them?

Probably not. Old hard drives are a failure waiting to happen.

Lucas Bergkamp

zall

Sep 28, 2022, 1:02:02 AM9/28/22
On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 10:50:47 +1000, The Natural Philosopher
<t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 27/09/2022 19:52, Tim Streater wrote:
>> Few years ago I replaced four or five external hard drives here with
>> SSDs.
>> These have sat around but now I've stirred my stumps to erase them
>> prior to
>> disposal. They'll get random data written everywhere and then zeroes.
>> They are
>> 7200rpm, various sizes of 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB.
>> Question is, is there any value left in them? With SSDs of similar
>> size going
>> for £100 or less, is it worth the faff of trying to sell them?
>>
> Probably not. Old hard drives are a failure waiting to happen.

Not one of those of mine of those sizes have ever failed.

Paul

Sep 28, 2022, 3:01:17 AM9/28/22
On 9/27/2022 8:50 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 27/09/2022 19:52, Tim Streater wrote:
>> Few years ago I replaced four or five external hard drives here with SSDs.
>> These have sat around but now I've stirred my stumps to erase them prior to
>> disposal. They'll get random data written everywhere and then zeroes. They are
>> 7200rpm, various sizes of 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB.
>>
>> Question is, is there any value left in them? With SSDs of similar size going
>> for £100 or less, is it worth the faff of trying to sell them?
>>
> Probably not. Old hard drives are a failure waiting to happen.

There is no way to predict what will happen to a disk.

I have one disk here, ST3500418AS Made in Thailand,
that has more than 50,000 hours on it. It's in great shape.

Other disks from the same epoch, only last 6,000 hours
before presenting symptoms.

Sometimes you get a good one.

With FDB motors, there's no reason they have to die.
The ones with ball bearing motors, there is friction
and the assurance they will gradually wear out.
The FDB motor is frictionless, once up to speed.
If the FDB motors have retention on both ends of the
rotor (not all do), then it can last a long time.
Only loss of lubricant, dooms an FDB. The motor seals
are key.

The disk in question, does not spin down or park either.
It is always ready to field a request. It remains flying.
I have other disks, which are supposed to work that way,
but the bastards put parking in the firmware. Then it's slow
to answer if it has gone to sleep.

Very few drives, outright die on you now. They're more
likely to be showing Reallocated Raw non-zero, and make
you nervous about their future.

Try to keep the drives in the same orientation they have
been used over their service life. I had one drive, in
a refurb PC, which seemed to have suffered some high-fly
errors. And I could no longer trust it. The drives are
rated for operation in six compass point orientations,
but personally, I would not take a drive that had
been operating right side up (the 50,000 hour one),
and flip it upside-down for fun.

As for the Helium drives, I suspect they could last
a lot longer, as there is no breather hole and no
exchange of atmosphere with the room air. The helium drives
are only "guaranteed" to have helium in them for five years.
The critical seal is via an adhesive, where the helium
can only escape through the depth of the sealing surface.
There is a cover for mechanical rigidity, which does not
contain the helium, and the adhesive is what keeps the
gas in. Two covers. Helium starts at 6TB or 8TB or so,
and go up to 18TB to 20TB now. I have zero helium drives.

Room conditions determine the service life of drives. I
think a dry room for the air breathing drives, is a lot
better for them. While the hepafilter disc is designed
to make it hard for moisture to enter, it's just a matter
of time and atmospheric pressure cycles. The hepafilter disc
is on the inside of the drive, on the cover, and just
under the breather hole. It helps ensure the inside stays
clean.

Charging a small sum for each drive, is a way of saying
to the purchaser that you think there is still life in them.
Use your usual test procedure for hard drives (acceptance test),
before selling a drive on. I would have no qualms about
selling that 50,000 hour drive onwards, because all tests
pass and Reallocated is still zero. The HDTune benchmark curve
doesn't have spikes in it (from Reallocations you cannot see).
The 6,000 hour drive, with the non-zero Reallocated, I'd stick
that in the dust bin. It still works, but if I won't use it
myself (does not pass Acceptance Test), then I would not expect
a buyer to put up with "trash".

One of the drives I got from the computer store recently
(WD Black 1TB), was completely dead on arrival. Seemed to
have a motor power issue, and would not attempt to spin.
Just because a product is "new", does not mean a thing. That's
the very first drive I've purchased, to have a problem like that.
Naturally, it did not pass the Acceptance Test.

From a performance perspective, many of the old drives are
too slow for any practical purpose, but you will discover
purchasers are desperate for a "deal". I bet I could sell
my Western Digital 4GB drive with the 5MB/sec transfer
rate. It's still perfectly functional. Low service hours.
Perfect for an antique PC for a museum project. Would be
no good for booting a bloated OS.

The power-on hours, is a field in the SMART table.

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe # for a win user

Paul

Peeler

Sep 28, 2022, 4:20:50 AM9/28/22
On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 15:01:52 +1000, zall, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Shit you're thick/pathetic excuse for a troll."
MID: <ogoa38$pul$1...@news.mixmin.net>

Jeff Layman

Sep 29, 2022, 3:41:34 AM9/29/22
> On 27/09/2022 19:52, Tim Streater wrote:
>> Few years ago I replaced four or five external hard drives here with SSDs.
>> These have sat around but now I've stirred my stumps to erase them prior to
>> disposal. They'll get random data written everywhere and then zeroes. They are
>> 7200rpm, various sizes of 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB.
>>
>> Question is, is there any value left in them? With SSDs of similar size going
>> for £100 or less, is it worth the faff of trying to sell them?
>>
> Probably not. Old hard drives are a failure waiting to happen.

Not necessarily - and don't believe every warning message you see.

I have a 1TB Seagate SATA Hybrid SSHD in my laptop. It's turned on and
off every day; on time is around 15 hours a day, and it's now at least
8 years old, as it was 12 - 18 months old when I bought it. The first
time I used Linux Mint's "Disks" about 3 months after I got the laptop
it reported "Disk is OK; one failing attribute is failing (42°C/108°F)".

It's still giving the same message...

--

Jeff

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 29, 2022, 4:24:55 AM9/29/22
Well that is probably about to die then. I don't think I have ever seen
an HDD run reliably past 10 years of more or less continuous usage.

My server no.1 drive has logged 7 years of power on time, but its still
basically error free.

I don't expect another 7 though.

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

SH

Sep 29, 2022, 6:58:47 AM9/29/22
So you have 5 drives, one is a 1TB size, what are the other 4 drives
capacities?

Yeah I'm only interested in the internal drives so you could reuse the
external cases and put your own SSDs into?

Where are you located?

S.

SH

Sep 29, 2022, 7:01:39 AM9/29/22
oh and the drive models so I can look up if they are SATA1 or SATA2 or
SATA3 interfaces.

Animal

Sep 29, 2022, 6:14:16 PM9/29/22
HDDs are funny things. Some go on & on & on, some don't. The oldest I have in service is just 60G - it'll get replaced when something needs doing, it's still going ok. Meanwhile 1&2T HDDs have failed.

Paul

Sep 30, 2022, 1:33:14 AM9/30/22
Some appear to wear our. Without having read this story, I don't think
I would have bought those drives, from first principles. You'd have to be
desperate to buy these, if you were at BackBlaze. The Seagate salesman would
have told them that.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/203478-backblaze-pulls-3tb-seagate-ssds-from-service-details-post-mortem-failure-rates

These typically have better statistics.

https://blog.westerndigital.com/race-to-seal-helium/

Drives have "resistance to the vibration of other drives"
in a chassis. A WD Blue might have poor resistance, and
have a low rating regarding number of neighbours. Some of the
Enterprise drives, could allow 8 drives to be next to them.
The Enterprise drives have additional actuators. In some
cases, the working of these actuators introduces a "hum"
related to the motor frequencies. The drive could be
correcting for a repeated runout pattern.

Years ago, they tried to synchronize the spindles of the
drives, with a cable from drive to drive. That was on
SCSI drives. But I don't think that was a success, because
they seemed to stop doing that.

Another question would be "how much damping does a drive require".
I don't know the answer to that. Like, if you mount a drive
on those silicon rubber bumpers, is that a good thing to do
or a stupid thing ? Dunno. Some of the drives feature a
subsonic "thump" on long seeks.

Paul

wasbit

Sep 30, 2022, 5:35:55 AM9/30/22
On 29/09/2022 11:10, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2022 at 23:23:21 BST, SH <i.lov...@spam.com> wrote:
>

>> Your drives sound like external drives.... Do
>> these work via USB2 or thunderbolt?
>
> USB. 2 or 3, not sure which.

All the USB3 enclosures that I have seen have a different connector so
you should be able to tell, if this is the standard
- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321347128812

--
Regards
wasbit

Paul

Oct 1, 2022, 12:58:22 PM10/1/22
On 9/30/2022 6:39 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
> Hah, I should have just looked at the enclosures, where it's marked what they
> are. The connections are mostly USB 3.1 Gen 1, with a couple of USB 3.0.

USB 3.1 Gen 1 being "USB 3.0 in disguise" :-)

Thanks to usb.org , those are the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

Enclosures are assumed to have weak hard drives in them,
not spiffy SATA SSD. And if the enclosure chip only
runs 200MB/sec... shhh... don't tell anyone. Nothing
says an enclosure chip has to work at 450MB/sec. I don't
think I have anything here that works properly in that
regard. Just 200-250MB/sec or so.

Paul

SH

Oct 2, 2022, 4:09:09 AM10/2/22
On 01/10/2022 20:59, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 01 Oct 2022 at 17:58:06 BST, Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> Hah, I should have just looked at the enclosures, where it's marked what they
>>> are. The connections are mostly USB 3.1 Gen 1, with a couple of USB 3.0.
>>
>> USB 3.1 Gen 1 being "USB 3.0 in disguise" :-)
>>
>> Thanks to usb.org , those are the same thing.
>
> Well - howls of derisive laughter.

To the OP.... Hows that list of drive makes and models coming along? :-)

S.

SH

Oct 2, 2022, 11:18:53 AM10/2/22
On 02/10/2022 13:05, Tim Streater wrote:
> The report is some 900 lines long. You want it posted here?
>
> There are 3 1TB drives, with no replaced sectors. There's 1 3TB drive, same.
> There's one 2TB drive which reports >400 DMA CRC errors, but DriveDx opines
> that this is probably the interface card/cable rather than the drive itself.
> There was another 1TB drive, but that reports 14 replaced sectors, so I've
> removed that one from consideration and will take it to the tip.

OK, whats the make and model and form factor size of the 5 remaining drives?

SH

Oct 3, 2022, 4:11:16 AM10/3/22
On 02/10/2022 17:06, Tim Streater wrote:
> 3.5in 7200rpm. Make and model stuff is in the report, for each drive, but as I
> don't know exactly which bits of info you need for that it makes more sense
> for you to see the whole report:

Massive biggest ever usenet snip :-)

right you have:

2 off Toshiba HDWD110 1TB Sata 3.0 3.5 inch drives
1 off Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB Sata 3.0 3.5 inch drive
1 off Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB Sata 3.0 3.5 inch drive
1 off Seagate ST2000DM008 2TB Sata 3.1 3.5 inch drive.

Some of these were operating in Sata 2.0 mode rather than its SATA 3.0
mode, I can only assume this was because you were connecting to them via
USB rather than via SATA or to a SATA 2.0 port rather than a SATA 3.0 port.

So thats a total storage space of 8TB across 5 drives......

I've now taken the rest of this conversation into anemail to you
assuming your email address is correct....

Don't do what one ebayer seller did to me a couple of months ago, wrap a
4TB drive in cling film (no anti static bag!) and then put into a jiffy
bag instead of proper polystyrene packaging and a cardboard box.

The Postal worker dutifully passed the package through the letter box,
to drop 4 ft straight onto a concrete floor.

The hard drive was FUBAR upon impact with said floor and I got a refund
from the ebay seller after some persistence as the seller had absolutely
no idea on how to ship a hard drive safely and I had to explain to him
how drives should be shipped and how easily damaged they are!

I once had 2 sticks of RAM sent to me wrapped in cling film instead of
in antistatic packaging via Ebay... it consequently failed MemTest86!
Cue another refund from another clueless seller.